logo

OmegaStores.com
Buyer beware
3. (55 mins ago)
Trim Down Club
Impossible to get money back, ’coz I have no idea their contact info
4. (56 mins ago)

Dillards Contacts & Informations

Dillards

Posted:    Mary

Mistreatment of employees

Dillards makes their employees work on Sunday for 1 hour if they don't open a credit card account that week for someone. Even if it is the employee's day off they have to come in for 1 hour. This interferes with worship services, costs the employee gas, and they are only paid for the one hour they go in. This must be illegal. Anyone out there that can advise?
Comments United States Job & Career
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Mar, 2007 by   Rod Dell 0 Votes
My advice to dealing with dillards apathy is to express your feelings about the treatment and tel them your looking for a new job!! Retailers treat you like dirt anyway, there are better jobs worth the hassle than dillards. They offer jobs to young people with HS education and no alternatives, go back to school and get a real job instead hassling with employer OCD (obsessive - compulsive - disorder). lol
 9th of Apr, 2007 by   Marilyn Palmer 0 Votes
I am one of your older customers as are many of my other friends who like to shop at Dillards, but find it difficult to locate a place in convenient locations to sit for a few minutes to "regenerate" and continue our shopping. Many of my dollars have been spent though the years at your store in Longmont. Colorado and that is one of our pet peeves that would help us remain true to the department store and not BIG BOX horrors of the younger generation. Another PLUS would be small attractive shopping carts to aid us in traveling from one department to another without having to run back and forth to the parking lot to unload merchandise as we proceed through the different departments.

Although I use your credit card often I also frequently pay cash or use my airline miles card to pay for items I purchase. Just Remember us "old timers " often have more disposable income than do the younger generation!!! Thanks for your consideration, and for asking for complaints from LOYAL customers.

Marilyn Palmer
99@ of your sales staff are very pleasant and helpful which is greatly appreciated...
 7th of May, 2007 by   Gregory Allen Gieger +1 Votes
I totally agree with you on this issue bur you have to understand that the various complaints regarding mistreatment of employees goes all the way back to when Dillard's was started.

In todays market place Dillard's is stuck in the 50's and 60's when it comes to dealing with employees. For instance, if you miss a day of work due to illness you must bring a note from your doctor. This practice is nothing more than harassment.

I have worked for several large corporations such as Black and Decker, Johnson & Johnson, and J.C. Penny and not any of these companies required a note from my doctor in fact this practice is borderline with the federal HIPPA statute which basically states that your medical records are private and you do not have to share them with anyone. All we need is for several employees to band together and file a federal lawsuit against Dillard's to put a stop to this practice.

If this happened, Dillard's could be fined thousands and also be made to pay financial settlements to those they have broken the law against.
 23rd of Jan, 2008 by   sallie Worsnop +1 Votes
I do have a question for employees of Dillards. Do you think it's fair for the company to cut your pay if the store does not have the revinue? In other words , this is a new store, two years old in Feb 2008 . Dillards has cut the pay of many good employees, that have been with from the start of the store. Is that fair?
 19th of Feb, 2008 by   Sarah +1 Votes
I totally agree with you! Though at my Dillard's in Tyler, TX they make you come to a one hour class to do some stupid f*&#king shit like writing out ways to seduce people into getting the crappy Dillard's credit cards. I have 2 no shows because the first one I was scheduled to come to, I had been in Houston for 2 days and wasn't going to be back for another 2. I couldn't call in because they won't let you! The second time I had to bring my fiance to work and it was in the middle of the time I had to be there... Plus you have to work JUST UNDER 7 hours on Sunday with no lunch... Texas laws are you have to take at least a 30 minute lunch after 7 hours. They make sure they work you just under.

When I threatened to quit, 2 managers pulled me upstairs and started drilling me with questions on why I was wanting to quit and I told them I hate the sales floor and hate the stupid credit cards. 85% of the dillard's shoppers already HAVE the card, 10% don't want it, 2% don't believe in cards, and the 3% that's left, they're split up between the hundreds of employees all trying to get their cards in for the month so they don't have to suffer the credit 101 class! I should've asked for more pay if they wanted me to stay, but I also couldn't risk getting fired because I just moved into an apartment with my fiance. We can't afford to lose everything with being reduced to one income instead of two. I HATE DILLARD'S!!!
 19th of Feb, 2008 by   Sarah 0 Votes
Oh and one other thing, no it's absolutely no fair at ALL for Dillards to cut your pay simply because you don't sell enough because your sales quota is so f***king high that you can't possibly reach it some days, and so if you aren't making sales (which is in no way your fault if you don't meet it. People take their merchandise to all departments of the store regardless if it was stuff from your department or not) they will cut your pay and eventually fire you. Some girls got fired after their pay being cut back so low because of sales, and because of something that happened that wasn't their fault but the HEAD MANAGER was over there, YELLING at them calling them lazy and saying they don't work, then he fired them. Tell me, do you think this is right? I don't think so! what kind of company is this?! One word of advice... NEVER EVER work for Dillard's... even though they pay high (which they do because they loose so many employees) they are the worst place I have ever worked... and I've worked several jobs over the years...
 10th of Apr, 2008 by   DJ Sarver 0 Votes
Not a big fan of Dillard's; I started working there last year when I decided to take a semester off. My manager is really awesome though, and I'm glad I work for her because all of the other department managers are asses for the most part. That goes for the other employers/employees as well. And I hate having to open credits (we don't have to go in on Sundays though and write essays if we don't open one a week, I would have quit by now if that were the case) even though our goal is one a month and I've only opened one since I've been there haha. And I'll probably never work in another position where I have to meet a gay-ass quota. They're usually too high and it's not good especially with the economy being in the shape it's in now. Although I can't really complain because my manager gives me special hours because I like doing the work noone else likes to do (i.e. putting stock up, general cleaning, etc.) so last review I didn't get a pay cut :-) All I can say is, I can't wait until Fall semester!
 21st of May, 2008 by   CHRISTINE BAGHERI +1 Votes
I too worked for Dillard stores 11 years ago and just in the past 6 mo. I found them bad enough before but now is just rediclous. We were treated like theives even be fore it was justified. Everything was under lock and key and for what reason I dont know, there was nothing but visual in those stockrooms. If they thought I was a thief, why was I hired in the first place.
And for the managment, well lets just say they all could go to school to learn how to treat another human being. I had to work New Years Day and greeted the OPs Mgr. in the morning and told her Happy New Year and the reply was YA THANKS. I have been in retail for over 30 years and have never been treated like I have been at this company.
As for the CREDITS well it is sad that your job depends on this, for in this economy we live in alot of folks can't put food on the table and gas in their cars, so who the HELL would want a credit at 24% . we were always to blame if people were not shopping and our wages were affected because of a poor economy. WHAT A JOKE.
All I can say is at this point all KARMA comes around sooner or later, I have already seen evidence of it.
God bless all of you who have stayed and endured.I only lasted 6 mo.
Someone needs to get a suit started, I would be glad to lend my voice.
GOOD LUCK
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   rochelle taylor 0 Votes
HEY, I HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING . I WORKED AT THE DILLARDS IN NEWPORT NEWS, VA AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT WAS THE WORST!!! MY FIRST DAY ON THE SALES FLOOR I SOLD OVER 1, 400.00 WORTH OF MERCHANDISE IN THE HOME DOMESTIC DEPT AND I HAD THE VULTURES (CO-WORKERS) ALL LOVER ME WANTING TO HELP ME WITH MY SALE JUST SO THEY COULD GET A PIECE OF MY SALES CREDIT THE REGULAR HOME DEPT WORKER FOUND OUT ABOUT MY MY BIG SALE, BECAME JEALOUS AND HERASSED THE HELL OUT OF ME EVERY DAY SHE WAS AT WORK I HATED WORKING THE SAME DAY SHE DID BECAUSE SHE WAS SO THREATENED BY ME AND CONTINUED TO HARASS ME AND WAS ALLOWED TO DO SO BECAUSE SHE WORKED WITH THE COMPANY FOR 13 YEARS. WHAT THE HECK???!!! JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE WORKS IN A COMPANY FOR X AMOUNT OF YEARS GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO HARASS CO-WORKERS BECAUSE THEY FEEL THREATEND?? THE COMPANY NEW THIS AND ALLOWED THIS PERSON TO DO THIS TO ME!!! WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, WORK IN A SALES INVIRONMENT AGAIN! THIS CO-WORKER ALSO AGGRESSIVELY PUSHED SOMEONE ELSE AT WORK AND STILL WORKS THERE TO THIS DAY!!!
 31st of Jan, 2009 by   PersonGuy +1 Votes

Exact same story on my part. I just got fired for not making at least 67% of my quota. Funny thing is, I have all my reviews and they all say I did. I had an employee literally all-but shoving me from in front of the register because he had been there 20 years (especially with customers I had helped). I talked to everyone, even the District Manager and nothing happened. Three of the four employees from that section all relocated to other sections and complained about the same thing and nothing happened. It's absolutely amazing. To top it off, the sales quotas on the schedule, on the quota card, and on your paper reviews never match up. You can't know what your real quota is, they won't let you. Go work at Dillards for 3-6 months to reap the decent starting pay then leave. That's really all it's good for.
 14th of Feb, 2009 by   Tired 0 Votes
These complaints are more than accurate. As a matter of fact it's sad that this is so. Dillard's is a train wreck of a company. The expectations they have are completely ridiculous. I was reading one comment about having a good ASM, the fact that she helps out and gives you "special hours" or "non-selling hours"...I'm glad to hear someone is being looked out for. Get this, On inventory night those workers are scheduled to be there (before the store closes sometimes) to prepare for the nights headache of beeping scan guns. Well, as we all know, as soon as you put your lucky little number into that stupid computer to clock in----the----sph(sales per hour)----starts----so here you are dressed down in your jeans or sweats for the nights inventory and have been told by management not to ring up any customers(because supposedly this time will not be used against you in a court of dillard's to cut your pay by 10%)...abiding by their instruction only to find out that, that time is being counted on your sph! Not to mention all the "special hours" you've been promised prior to inventory for all your hard "appreciated" work in organizing the stock rooms. With all the hard work that you've read about, you would think the people writing these comments would be more appreciated. We are the reason some customers still shop at dillard's. Dillard's Sale's Floor Associates---work registers, clean, mop, dust, sweep, put up and take down displays, unload stock carts, put stock onto shelves, price merchandise(mark-ups and downs), load customers cars, wrap thier gifts, take returns, sell merchandise, damage out merchandise, and some of us...at the blink of an eye can turn into a customer service associate and take all the stores incoming calls and complaints(so multi-talented...right?) Now I agree that there would be nothing wrong with any of those things being in a job description...if your pay wasn't SOLELY based on your SPH! I would have to agree with one of the comments before mine, the starting pay isn't so bad. If you know for a FACT, and I mean you absolutely must be positive about this, that you can start at dillard's and leave within 6 months you'll be ok. If not, run as far in the other direction as possible. Please do not think it's a joke...you have been warned. Run, Forest, Run!
 15th of Feb, 2009 by   hate this place 0 Votes
dillard's is a horrible place to work. when you start they rush you through trainning and then stick you right on the sales floor. you're basically left to figure evrything out. then you get yelled at if you do something wrong. there is no where in the handbook that says how many call offs you get but when you my manager pulls me in the office and screams about me missing work isn't exceptable. my manager yelled at me because i was 3 minutes late to work and threatend my job. he also insulted me by asking what high school i went to and if i finished. he continued to keep asking how far did i get in school. and even threw his glasses at me. then he pulled out a rubberband and asked me what it was. i also know that he has said the same thing to other employees. i also know filing a complaint will resolve nothing because he is the actual dillard's cousin. i'm at the end of my rope. my store manager continues to taunt and harass people and knows he can get away with it. i'm thinking about filing a lawsuit against them but i don't know where to start. advise to everyone stay away from dillard's its hell from the time you get hired.
 22nd of Mar, 2009 by   Area Sales manager 0 Votes
Hello everyone. I was an Area Sales Manager and an AIT at Dillards till this week i've decided to start my own business now . So far reading all your comments and opinions i don't disagree at all infact most of the things i hear seem so true ! However there are a few good people in management or the corporate office. My boss when i was an AiT ( assistant sales manager) was bi polar i would say, she would be happy one moment and when under pressure she snaps ! I used to come to work fearing that my job depends on her mood ! She has been with Dillards 10 years and she can manipulate my store manager against me easily. I was low profile i worked hard and took care of all my associates like my freinds. But there are ALOT of wrong things going on with this company and its a sad situation because most of us cannot quit mainly cause of the Recession and lack of jobs . And the Dillards seem to take full advantage of that and exploit you. If you make it to management like i did from the sales floor its descent pay but when you add up the hours you put in its like working at Mc Donalds ! So i'm glad im out of this Shit ! Dillard's is a good part time job thats it ! Dont make it a Career !
 15th of Apr, 2009 by   Erock 0 Votes
I'm so glad there is a website like this. I WAS fed up with the way I was being mistreated. I went through the proper 2 weeks notice and quit. The store manager was very upset because I made "too much money" where I was working. I was subsequently offered a job at another sales counter. This company is only subcontracted to Dillards, so I wouldn't be under the same boss. He has blacklisted me, and is preventing me from getting this other job. This is the reason that people don't stick up for themselves!! If you do, they flex their muscle and try to make it difficult for you. I'm thinking about getting a lawyer. You shouldn't be punished for doing a GOOD job when you're working. These people are crazy!
 11th of Jul, 2009 by   Done with Dillards +1 Votes
I worked for Dillards as a pacesetter for 10 years and then left to accept a position elsewhere. After 5 years I went back to work at Dillard's and was shocked at Dillard's management style and how they treat their employees. There was little or no training - I was simply thrown on the sales floor. They overhire sales associates in all departments which prevents associates from selling their "required quotas" thus cutting the employees hourly wage as they are rarely able to maintain their quota. Regardless of how aggressive I was on the sales floor I received 2 pay cuts (making barely above minimum wage) and was finally let go for not meeting my required quota. My "reviews" were random and I wasn't given the full designated length of time to improve my performance on the sales floor between review periods. During my review I was told that the associates would be alternated within the department to even out the sales as some areas were busier than others but that never happened. There was always a lot of tension on the floor as sales associates struggle/stress over making their quotas so as to not get a pay cut. Associates in "special" departments such as the womens coach handbag department were given free reign over the area and were allowed to bully other associates and intercept sales in the department. Numerous complaints to the store management were met with deaf ears. I was told by Heather Hume, marketing manager at Northpark, not to bother her or the store manager with issues within the department - they simply didn't have time or care - they had better things to do. Dillard's forces their employees to quit or "terminates them for not making their quotas" so prevent them from having to pay unemployment which is very underhanded. If you must find retail work during this terrible economy go anywhere but Dillard's.

I still plan to file unemployment as they set us up to fail...
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   Cali66 0 Votes
Pretty much the same story here in Charlotte, NC!
But we even have an organized ASM theft ring in our store at Northlake.
And our Assistant Manager (for 3 yrs) was fired today, for one of 2 reasons #1 she is a convicted criminal with 2 fraud charges on her record or #2 She has illegally & without authorization charged over $1400.00 to a customers debit account. How's that for management?
 28th of Oct, 2009 by   SFL 0 Votes
Get over it - Dillards is like any other department store - they are concered with the numbers. And the numbers are what pays your salary. I have worked for Dillards, Macys and JC Penneys and Dillards does nothing different that those major chains. They expect to you have an SPH (whatever terminology those particular stores use) andthey expect you to open credit apps. That the way it is so if you do not like to solicit credit apps (which also pays your salary) don't work in retail! I have made over $1500 this year alone in just opening credit apps. Am I missing the picture here? Try working in the private sector, maybe a call center where you are expected to toke 150-200 calls a day, and all your calls are monitored. Sales and credit apps are what PAYS YOUR SALARY - what is so hard to understand about that concept? And yes there are the associated that are territorial - they would steal a sale from their own mother if they could. There is competition in any job (the associate who takes credit for your idea, the person who always shows off for management attention, etc) . GET OVER IT or work some place else. You and only you can make your job as profitable and intersting as possible - not the other associates. In 2003 I worked for Dillards and made PaceSetter in ten months. I left for several years and returned last year - In that time I was transferred to Petites where I ran the department and am now a Coat Specialist - why because I do my job. And yes it was hard getting there and yes there were the back stabbers, and sales stealers, and the whiners, but I dealt with it. And the outcome, the sales stealers and the whiners are still in there nowhere positons and I have moved on because that is what I chose to do. My answer to all of you - you can be part of the problem or part of the solution, its up to you anbd you alone so get over it or get around it!
 5th of Dec, 2009 by   SOD 0 Votes
To SFL, it is wonderful that you did so well in your career with Dillards; but I disagree with many of your statements..You state that credit apps pay the associates salary-so get over it. Understand one thing, you can ask every customer that comes to your register about credit but if they CHOOSE not to open one that should not affect one's pay or job. If you have slow customer turnout and two associates designated to one area, one should not be penalized for not making a sales quota. You are on your feet daily, maintaining the sales floor, sacrificing holidays, and weekends, yet you feel it is justifiable for Dillards to dock one's pay over factors that that associate may not have any control over? Your negative sales quota roll over from one day to the next but your sales over quota does not-is that fair? Is it fair to make sure Dillards sales floor is neat and presentable, going out of your way for the customers you DO have(even though it may not be enough but they are the only customers actually in the store), working nights, every weekend with maybe one weekend off, one day off for the holidays and long hours before and after-yet it is justifiable to cut that associates pay? Get real...You can give Dillards 5+ years of your life and continue to earn what you made the first day you walked in the door...there is no justification in that I don't care how you spin it...
 22nd of Nov, 2010 by   Susan Williams1 0 Votes
I love working for Dillards . It pays well, you get your schedule one month ahead, its full time ( 40 hours a week) it pays every THURSDAY!One day ahead of Bloomingdles and everyone else!you can get a raise if you go over your quota, and lock it for a year. If you have experience in retail, you will do great!
 4th of May, 2011 by   Rebecca Baxter -1 Votes
To SFL
I bet you are one of the sale thiefing people that I hate at my store. We call them SHARKS. It is not whinning or just get over it when a compamy doesn't care about their employees. I have actually been shoved out of the way while trying to ring up a customer that I helped and was mine. Managment encourages the arguments that ensue over sales instead of doing their jobs and soving the problems. Right now I am losing my job because of sales quota BS, while people who do not do their job get a raise even though they have been moved from 4 depts in 6months because other dept mangr do not want her because she will not work, but because she makes her sales she is keeping herj ob with a raise. I do not know where you come from but hard work is suppose to be rewarded not laziness, Lets see how you feel when your the next to get fired because there is a bigger shark in the sea.

Gift Card Fraud