logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Badoo
Using my information without permission
2. (53 mins ago)
Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
3. (1 hr 34 mins ago)
investorsavingbank.net
not paid
4. (1 hr 40 mins ago)
Beyond The Rack
SCAM- no customer service, never refunded
5. (1 hr 49 mins ago)
icreditscore.co.uk
They took money without my notice

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Dick's Sporting Goods/ Fusion 124 Kayak by Future Beach, Milton, New Hampshire Complaints & Reviews - bad product, worse service

Dick's Sporting Goods/ Fusion 124 Kayak by Future Beach Contacts & Informations

Dick's Sporting Goods/ Fusion 124 Kayak by Future Beach

Posted: 2011-06-23 by    Bill Dalton

bad product, worse service

Dick's Sporting Goods
Milton, New Hampshire
Phone: 512 699 1824
This "Fusion" kayak is made for fresh water and ocean kayaking, The problem is that it has a design flaw that is especially dangerous if you take on any water. The water goes down two channels (that serve no purpose other than to kill you) that lead into the stern, immediately making the boat stern heavy. If you don't notice that the boat is sluggish because you are inexperienced - like my son - you will get into trouble if you are away from shore. As the stern gets lower, the kayak will fill with water and swamp. Even if you can make it to shore with the kayak, it takes three people to turn the boat over to get the water out. When the problem was discovered the first time we put it in the ocean, we were past Dick's 60 day return policy. The store turned us down so we called corporate customer service and were completely stonewalled. I explained to them that they were among the stupidest people I ever spoke to and hung up. I'm not done with this matter.
So, we have a kayak that has a design flaw that could kill someone and Dick's doesn't care. What they should do is notify all purchasers of that model's design flaw and take the boat back. On a ranking of good retail customer service, you have LL Bean, legendary for it's good service and return policy, on one top and Dick's on the other end.
Comments United States Sports & Recreation
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Jun, 2011 by   Personal Trainer NH 0 Votes
I absolutely agree. After a disaster of our own, I looked up reviews for this kayak and found that they sell the deathtrap at places like Costco! We bought ours at Dick's as well (they "no longer carry the item" is their excuse for no help!) We thought that purchasing it at a SUPPOSED sporting goods retailer meant that the salesperson was trained to help people select the right equipment. WRONG. And, same as the last complaint, their customer service, in store and by phone at corporate, is the worst I have ever experienced. (And I do a lot of business with airline booking, so that means a lot.) Don't shop and Dick's, and DON''T but this "fusion" pretend ocean kayak. It is wide and seems safe for a lake toy, but ...death awaits! And then total unresponsiveness and rudeness from Dicks Sporting Goods, where in three years we spent over five thousand dollars that I regret to the depth of my being. AVOID DICKS SPORTING GOODS. RUN AWAY!
 12th of Jul, 2011 by   Bavarianwench 0 Votes
We had a similar experience at Dick's with really lousy customer service. We were passed around to 4 different people and no one knew answers to our questions nor did they deliver with any of the things they said they were going to go check on. No one got beck to us and we ended up spending 2 hours in the store with trying to get help as we were first time kayak buyers. We did buy 2 Fusion 124 beach kayaks, paddles and vests there that day. We did call the corporate office to tell them what rotten customer service they had at that location. After having read this, it seems it's the same all over! Have has our's in the lake and a coupke of rivers, but for the ocean, i think a skirt is needed, but now, I'm wondering if even that would be safe!
 20th of Jun, 2012 by   Mark Turley 0 Votes
I purchased a Future Beach Trophy 126 from Dicks. It has a foam bulkhead behind the seat to seperate the rear storage compartment and make this area water tight. Water could only then get in the front compartment and could be bailed as needed. This would prevent the swamp problem.
Now for my problem. I purchased the a second Trophy 126 for my wife. This unit DOES NOT HAVE THE FOAM BULKHEAD BEHIND THE SEAT. This would allow for the water to collect in the rear as you speak of and the operator would never know it. I have attempted to find out why this feature has been eliminated and have yet to receive an answer. $$$ is the only answer.
The 2011 catalog points out the bulkhead feature as a selling point. The 2012 has no mention other than two 10" x 18" storage lids.
 29th of Jul, 2012 by   commonsense123456 0 Votes
I am slightly over the weight capacity and paddle on Lake Erie. The only water that has gotten in comes from either the paddle or my feet as I get in. Their shouldn't be water regularly entering the cockpit of a sit in kayak; and if there is you have another problem. Use a skirt if you're in the ocean, and use common sense before you think the would should be padded for your protection
 1st of Aug, 2012 by   kayaking4dummies 0 Votes
if you were wearing the proper safety equipment i.e. a life vest then you would not die... so who is the idiot now? Also if you bought a product without doing the proper research on if you would like that product or if it was up to your standards then you would not have bought the product. My wife is an architect and she says that in other countries they do not have the same standards as the USA. For example fire escapes... our motto is to save everyone other countries, well there is an exceptional amount of loss. Same goes for the water sports, there is a certain amount of inherit danger, just like riding a motorbike, if you don't like the risk of drowning... then stay off the water. duh. Oh and my wife and I bought the Future Beach 124 use it every weekend on the river with all the safety gear recommended by the manufacturer for that class of river. DO YOUR HOMEWORK, DON'T BE STUPID

Tips to Save as You Shop Online