logo

Posted:    David Isaac

Delta Skymiles Redemption

Delta Airlines
delta.com
Do not waste your time trying to redeem an awards flight on Delta.com. You can see dates that have the low redemption mileage, but you can't book them on your own. A better way is to look at other SkyTeam member sites, like Continental's One Pass, and find flights that are redeemable for low mileage on those sites and then call the Delta Skymiles Customerless Service number and plead with them to identify the flights you have located and book the award travel at the low redemption rates for you.

I probably wasted 20-30 hours over a two month period trying to get a round trip ticket to Europe for 60K. I finally called and asked if there were any cities that were more likely to qualify for the low rate. The answer that I got was I am not going to search all day for you. I asked to talk to a supervisor and then for the agent's name and she refused and hung up on me.

What is sad is that I used to really like Delta and have flown them for 20 years, now I really have to look at alternatives for my travel.
Comments United States Airlines
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of Oct, 2009 by   justbecause 0 Votes
I've flown with delta a couple of times, not my favorite but I didn't have any problems. As to the reward travel I used it to fly domestically and didn't have any problems booking it online or on the day of my flight. It was all very streamlined.
 14th of Nov, 2009 by   TomyTom 0 Votes
A few years ago Delta had decent flight availability for saver awards. But ever since Delta merged with Nothwest Airlines and became a dominant carrier, Delta's skymiles redemption became the worst in the industry.
 17th of Nov, 2009 by   PC RON 0 Votes
I also wasted several hours in finding the right flight to redeem miles. The miles were different for the same flights and dates; if you do not log-in it showed 80, 000 Miles but if you log-in, the search displayed 100, 000 Miles for the same travel plan. There some thing wrong in Delta Airline programming or logic.
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by   Ezzyrydr 0 Votes
THE WHOLE GORY DETAILS... DELTA DOESN'T THINK WE UNDERSTAND. iF YOU COMPLAIN, THEY'LL EXPLAIN IT TO YOU. FOLLOW THE STRIG FROM THE BOTTOM UP.

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

I am genuinely sorry it was necessary for you to write again. I was concerned that I missed the purpose of your communication so I reviewed your comments with my Supervisor. After a lengthy discussion, there is no further action that would be due as a result of your experience.
Again, I am sorry to disappoint you, as I understand this is not the answer you were expecting.

As stated in previous e-mail, Award seats are subject for availability.

We have three levels of awards. Low means that this is the lowest starting amount of miles for a one-way award ticket based on a round-trip purchase. Because this is the lowest starting point, there is higher demand for this level and therefore, this level isn't always available as it is often booked up quickly.

Medium means that this is a higher starting amount of miles (relative to
the Low) for a one-way award ticket based on a round-trip purchase.

High means that a customer can use a set amount of miles to get the last seat available on a plane. This would be the highest starting amount of miles for a one-way award ticket based on a round-trip purchase if the flight is nearly or almost completely booked/filled, yet there may be one last seat available. While these labels represent starting amounts, please check online in the Award Calendar for exact mileage amount required for a round-trip award ticket purchase.

For more information check on delta.com at:

Thank you for the opportunity to give this matter our final review. Any additional correspondence will be kept on file.

Sincerely,

Jane Johnson
Online Customer Support Desk

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Thank you for replying to my mail. I do not believe you spoke to my complaint; rather, you only acknowledged that I have made one.

1. Do you release economy award mileage, if not on all flights, to make it possible to reach all destinations ? If no, How can we expect to use our miles at these rates? It ' s OK if you say " don ' t expect it ." Just make it clear so we know how you do business. Perhaps we can ? t get there at economy
anymore. We sure would like to stop wasting time looking if this were true.

2. Do you intend to always offer an award customer to purchase at economy level fares at some point in time? In our case, 60, 000 mile tickets to Europe?

3. Is it your policy that using sky mile s should be a "luck of the draw" process for the customer ? I see it working this way because if I do not just happen to call or check your website at the right time when award travel is released, I might not win at a economy award level fare .

4. Have you had other complaints similar to mine?

5. What recommendations can you make that might help my family and me use your system to better serve us?

Again,
Thank you.
Mr. X

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Delta's SkyMiles program. As you may know, our schedules load 331 days out, and there is no way to predict when or if Award Seat inventory will be made available .
Fluctuations in passenger demand, seasonal trends, peak travel times and other factors determine if and when Award Seats will be offered, and if so, how many. As a result, SkySaver Award Seats may not be available on all flights. Our goal is to surpass your expectations in each and every way. We expect our employees to provide helpful, courteous service at all times. When we fail to do so, we will work even harder to make it right for you. We also recognize that quality customer service is essential to the continued success of our company. Your feedback is important to us, and I have shared your comments with the responsible leadership team. Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Jane Johnson
Online Customer Support Desk

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
COMMENT DETAILS:
Email about Past/Future travel: Current and Future Nature of Comment: Complaint Concern Email Pertaining to: SkyMiles Email about Other topic:

Comments:

Thank you for taking my mail.

I wish to tell you that it has become almost impossible for my family and me to take advantage of the Delta SkyMiles program for trips to Europe with the present system. This is not the way it once was and we feel that your company is pushing us (mileage-ing us) out of the program. We want you to know how we feel.

I have been a dedicated SkyMiles member for many years. My family and I have been using our miles for trips to Europe (specifically ZRH to reach our family in Germany) every year for over 10 years. I tell you this because it?s important for you to know that we have a long experience with the program and have seen how the changes have had their effect.

Here's the thing. Your present program claims to offer more choices with no blackout dates. But we cannot locate any award travel with reasonable mileage amounts anywhere close to your cheapest 60, 000 miles required per coach ticket (round trip.) Not when we can travel. Now, there was a time when we could routinely get award tickets for the 30, 000 then 40, 000 then 50, 000 miles required for a round trip ticket to Europe. Today?s November 23, 2009 requirement is 107, 000 miles. Think about it, once we could get two or three tickets for our family at this amount. I understand that all prices tend to go up and miles must be adjusted as well, but not only have you gone up on the mile require to 60, 000, but it takes 107, 000 and there is nothing less available for the 4 month period when we can travel! Try CAE to ZRH anytime from May 2010 to September 2010 when our 9 year old son is out of school and available to travel and see what you get.

I have been checking weekly with your team now since late August to see if any 60, 000 or close coach fares are available. I?m doing my part. I have found none close. Mind you, we can only book 10 months in advance with Delta so we start checking early? weekly. We spend hours on the website and phone talking to you team to try, We are doing our best to hit it just right or get ?lucky? when mileage at the economy rate appears. It is a very time consuming and an almost painful process.

Here's a clip from your website: "With over 350 destinations to over 60 countries spanning six continents, the most difficult part about Award Travel with Delta will be deciding where to go." Not true. The most difficult part is trying to get reasonable mileage fares for regular family folks like mine to go when our son is out of school. You think we're asking too much? Most of your reservations agents are sympathetic and pleasant. But all they can tell us is that they know is not easy and just keep checking back. They will often say "keep checking, sometimes Delta releases more economy miles tickets." Well, we do keep checking and what if, just what if I happen to be in the shower or sleeping at that very moment when these new mileage fares are released? What then? My tough luck? Is your team aware of just how difficult it is for a regular travelling family to earn 107, 000 miles? Is it your company?s intent to push regular family people who fly coach out of the system? We are beginning to think so. If it is not your intent, it seems to be a result. What we would really like is to be able to get seats at the economy fare mileage rate. OK, perhaps not the exact dates plus or minus a few, but close.

Yes I?m complaining. Your team needs to know how we, your customers feel. My wife, son and I do not believe we are being treated very well by the current system. Perhaps that's just the way it is. But we do not remember Delta being so difficult and wish it wasn't now.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Mr. X
 7th of Jul, 2010 by   deltaskymilesscam 0 Votes
I just "redeemed" some "Delta Skymiles". By the time the whole transaction was over I ended up paying about $700 more AFTER redeeming miles than if I had gone to Expedia and just booked the trip without miles.

When I complained they told me the "terms and conditions" garbage and told me they get "special rates" for Skymiles customers (higher!?). Like others, we've always had trouble trying to redeem miles.

I have been totally ripped off and will never try again. TOTAL SCAM.
 21st of Jun, 2011 by   ellynd 0 Votes
I received an e-mail from Delta on feb 10, 2011 Offering me a 25.00 American Express gift card for every round trip I booked on Delta between Feb 10, 2011 and April 10, 2011. I registered and traveled round trip 4 times---No gift cards--called delta-they said call Amex---called AmEx they said call Delta--have been trying to get an answer since May 25th-
Today 6/20/2011, I get an e-mail from Delta stating that on March 25th-they decided that they would only issue the gift cards to skymile members who have a delta skymiles american express credit card-and that I have to have put the credit card information on my skymiles profile--Has anyone else had the same problem??? Thank you
 8th of Nov, 2011 by   kds21 0 Votes
White house petition to hold airlines accountable for their disregard for their customers
 18th of Dec, 2011 by   Ed Meshechek 0 Votes
I booked a cruise on Delta Cruises and found that the cruise was not for over 1 year away, so I called the Delta Customer Service and was totally refused a complete refund ( the 24.95 booking fee ) after only booking it 5 minutes before. What a scam Delta runs. Also the customer service lady I talked to literally hollered at me and stated I was being to loud with her ( not at all!!!). So to make a long story short, I will be on a cruise in a year or so ( if I live that long) since I couldn't cancel and I didn't care to lose my money by booking a cruise through a low quality booking agent ( DELTA SKYMILES CRUISES) with rude employees. Oh and so Delta Airline knows. I canceled my delta email account and after I deplete my skymiles with free reward miles
(nothings free with Delta Airlines) I will cancel my delta account in full. For all you that are unsatisfied with Delta, take a look at Allegiant Air, Southwest, and BlueJet. I sure have had good luck with their service and reward programs.
Ed Meshechek