Delta Skymiles Redemption

Delta Airlines
Do not waste your time trying to redeem an awards flight on Delta.com. You can see dates that have the low redemption mileage, but you can't book them on your own. A better way is to look at other SkyTeam member sites, like Continental's One Pass, and find flights that are redeemable for low mileage on those sites and then call the Delta Skymiles Customerless Service number and plead with them to identify the flights you have located and book the award travel at the low redemption rates for you.

I probably wasted 20-30 hours over a two month period trying to get a round trip ticket to Europe for 60K. I finally called and asked if there were any cities that were more likely to qualify for the low rate. The answer that I got was I am not going to search all day for you. I asked to talk to a supervisor and then for the agent's name and she refused and hung up on me.

What is sad is that I used to really like Delta and have flown them for 20 years, now I really have to look at alternatives for my travel.
Complaint comments Comments (21) Complaint country United States Complaint category Airlines

12th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Delta - Poor service!

I had reservation to fly to Romania, from Columbus Ohio for September 26, 2007. Due to sudden change in my parents health, that needed hospitalization, I had to change my departure to September 14, 2007. When I made the change and new reservation was completed, I (I asked) was told that if I present a document that reflects my situation, I will have the $200 penalty fee deducted from my price, but when I arrived at the airport the collect my ticket I was surprised to find out that there was no reservation and also, to have a new one issued I was required to pay $495 difference in price. This is very disappointing, my change was not in any way due to other the emergency with my parents. So as I am waiting for my departure in two days, I am writing to express my frustration with the service and the lack of information given to me in this whole procedure. I use to fly with Delta in the past, and this experience will erase all the good memories I had about this airline.
 14th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
FYI... if you have a friend working for Delta Airlines offer you a buddy pass, be aware that you are considered to be a bit of a "second-class citizen." Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful to get the discount; however, if the plane is full, you will not be able to get on the plane.

I had to spend the night in UTAH. It wasn't nice.
 30th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes

Delta - Charged for their mistake

I tried to purchase a ticket by internet but an error message told me to call customer service. They booked the ticket and waived the $20/ticket telephone booking fee. The next day I found the names were incorrect. I called to have them corrected and got new tickets issued. I just found out that they charged me $40 (two tickets) to correct their mistake because I didn't use the internet. This should be a no-brainer to refund my money but they are refusing. Why am I paying for their mistake? I am working with my credit card company to dispute the charges and will file a complaint with the Dept of Transportation and the Federal Trade commission. Is there any other recourse for me?
 24th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
Buddy passes on any airline are free to it's employees, you may have to pay the tax or something but it is a FREE ticket. People flying on buddy passes will almost always be the first to get bumped. Your friend should have told you this. Flying on a buddy pass is flying space available using empty seats that have not been sold.
 17th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
I made a resevation on Delta to go from Las Vegas (LAS) to Mazatlan, Mexico (MZT) on Oct 24, 2008. Since there are no direct flights for this route, I booked on Delta through Los Angeles (LAX). A week after the flight was booked, Delta "re-routed" the LAS to LAX leg of the flight to a LAS to Salt Lake City, then Salt Lake City to LAX. The only problem was that the plane from Salt Lake City arrived two hours after the plane to Mazatlan left LAX.

I called Delta and they said that rerouting was their perogotive and that if I didn't want to stay overnight in Salt lake or Los Angeles (room, board and trans at my expense), that I could have a full refund. Since these tickets were booked early, the cost of travel has skyrocked, so a refund is really no option.

What is wrong with this picture? Can airlines bail on contracted flights and dump you out on the tarmac to fend for yourselves? How are they able to do this? I know I would be held liable, if the situation was reversed.
 1st of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

Delta - Over 2 hours check in!
San Diego

This morning, San Diego International airport, Delta has lines that took 2 hours to get through. I arrived 2 hours early, checked one bag, and missed my flight.

This is the process: 1) stand in line and wait for a self-service kiosk. There were no Delta representatives to help people with the kiosks, so many, especially elderly people, stood by the kiosk frustrated and banged on the touch screens that were not very working very well - I might add.
2) Wait in line to check in your bags One woman was working the desk to check in luggage. This took almost as long as waiting in the first line.
3) wait in security.

Both the check-in lines and the security lines were extremely long.

Delta needs be be PUT-OUT OF BUSINESS.
 21st of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I've flown with delta a couple of times, not my favorite but I didn't have any problems. As to the reward travel I used it to fly domestically and didn't have any problems booking it online or on the day of my flight. It was all very streamlined.
 14th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
A few years ago Delta had decent flight availability for saver awards. But ever since Delta merged with Nothwest Airlines and became a dominant carrier, Delta's skymiles redemption became the worst in the industry.
 17th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
I also wasted several hours in finding the right flight to redeem miles. The miles were different for the same flights and dates; if you do not log-in it showed 80, 000 Miles but if you log-in, the search displayed 100, 000 Miles for the same travel plan. There some thing wrong in Delta Airline programming or logic.
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

I am genuinely sorry it was necessary for you to write again. I was concerned that I missed the purpose of your communication so I reviewed your comments with my Supervisor. After a lengthy discussion, there is no further action that would be due as a result of your experience.
Again, I am sorry to disappoint you, as I understand this is not the answer you were expecting.

As stated in previous e-mail, Award seats are subject for availability.

We have three levels of awards. Low means that this is the lowest starting amount of miles for a one-way award ticket based on a round-trip purchase. Because this is the lowest starting point, there is higher demand for this level and therefore, this level isn't always available as it is often booked up quickly.

Medium means that this is a higher starting amount of miles (relative to
the Low) for a one-way award ticket based on a round-trip purchase.

High means that a customer can use a set amount of miles to get the last seat available on a plane. This would be the highest starting amount of miles for a one-way award ticket based on a round-trip purchase if the flight is nearly or almost completely booked/filled, yet there may be one last seat available. While these labels represent starting amounts, please check online in the Award Calendar for exact mileage amount required for a round-trip award ticket purchase.

For more information check on delta.com at:
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_skymiles/skymiles_program_updates/index.jsp#... />
Thank you for the opportunity to give this matter our final review. Any additional correspondence will be kept on file.

Jane Johnson
Online Customer Support Desk

Original Message Follows:

Thank you for replying to my mail. I do not believe you spoke to my complaint; rather, you only acknowledged that I have made one.

1. Do you release economy award mileage, if not on all flights, to make it possible to reach all destinations ? If no, How can we expect to use our miles at these rates? It ' s OK if you say " don ' t expect it ." Just make it clear so we know how you do business. Perhaps we can ? t get there at economy
anymore. We sure would like to stop wasting time looking if this were true.

2. Do you intend to always offer an award customer to purchase at economy level fares at some point in time? In our case, 60, 000 mile tickets to Europe?

3. Is it your policy that using sky mile s should be a "luck of the draw" process for the customer ? I see it working this way because if I do not just happen to call or check your website at the right time when award travel is released, I might not win at a economy award level fare .

4. Have you had other complaints similar to mine?

5. What recommendations can you make that might help my family and me use your system to better serve us?

Thank you.
Mr. X

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Delta's SkyMiles program. As you may know, our schedules load 331 days out, and there is no way to predict when or if Award Seat inventory will be made available .
Fluctuations in passenger demand, seasonal trends, peak travel times and other factors determine if and when Award Seats will be offered, and if so, how many. As a result, SkySaver Award Seats may not be available on all flights. Our goal is to surpass your expectations in each and every way. We expect our employees to provide helpful, courteous service at all times. When we fail to do so, we will work even harder to make it right for you. We also recognize that quality customer service is essential to the continued success of our company. Your feedback is important to us, and I have shared your comments with the responsible leadership team. Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Jane Johnson
Online Customer Support Desk

Original Message Follows:
Email about Past/Future travel: Current and Future Nature of Comment: Complaint Concern Email Pertaining to: SkyMiles Email about Other topic:

Thank you for taking my mail.

I wish to tell you that it has become almost impossible for my family and me to take advantage of the Delta SkyMiles program for trips to Europe with the present system. This is not the way it once was and we feel that your company is pushing us (mileage-ing us) out of the program. We want you to know how we feel.

I have been a dedicated SkyMiles member for many years. My family and I have been using our miles for trips to Europe (specifically ZRH to reach our family in Germany) every year for over 10 years. I tell you this because it?s important for you to know that we have a long experience with the program and have seen how the changes have had their effect.

Here's the thing. Your present program claims to offer more choices with no blackout dates. But we cannot locate any award travel with reasonable mileage amounts anywhere close to your cheapest 60, 000 miles required per coach ticket (round trip.) Not when we can travel. Now, there was a time when we could routinely get award tickets for the 30, 000 then 40, 000 then 50, 000 miles required for a round trip ticket to Europe. Today?s November 23, 2009 requirement is 107, 000 miles. Think about it, once we could get two or three tickets for our family at this amount. I understand that all prices tend to go up and miles must be adjusted as well, but not only have you gone up on the mile require to 60, 000, but it takes 107, 000 and there is nothing less available for the 4 month period when we can travel! Try CAE to ZRH anytime from May 2010 to September 2010 when our 9 year old son is out of school and available to travel and see what you get.

I have been checking weekly with your team now since late August to see if any 60, 000 or close coach fares are available. I?m doing my part. I have found none close. Mind you, we can only book 10 months in advance with Delta so we start checking early? weekly. We spend hours on the website and phone talking to you team to try, We are doing our best to hit it just right or get ?lucky? when mileage at the economy rate appears. It is a very time consuming and an almost painful process.

Here's a clip from your website: "With over 350 destinations to over 60 countries spanning six continents, the most difficult part about Award Travel with Delta will be deciding where to go." Not true. The most difficult part is trying to get reasonable mileage fares for regular family folks like mine to go when our son is out of school. You think we're asking too much? Most of your reservations agents are sympathetic and pleasant. But all they can tell us is that they know is not easy and just keep checking back. They will often say "keep checking, sometimes Delta releases more economy miles tickets." Well, we do keep checking and what if, just what if I happen to be in the shower or sleeping at that very moment when these new mileage fares are released? What then? My tough luck? Is your team aware of just how difficult it is for a regular travelling family to earn 107, 000 miles? Is it your company?s intent to push regular family people who fly coach out of the system? We are beginning to think so. If it is not your intent, it seems to be a result. What we would really like is to be able to get seats at the economy fare mileage rate. OK, perhaps not the exact dates plus or minus a few, but close.

Yes I?m complaining. Your team needs to know how we, your customers feel. My wife, son and I do not believe we are being treated very well by the current system. Perhaps that's just the way it is. But we do not remember Delta being so difficult and wish it wasn't now.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Mr. X
 31st of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
My brother had the same ordeal ... I got him to the airport 2 hours early, it took him almost that amount of time to check in ... he ran to get on his flight and when he arrived the attendant rolled her eyes at him like it was his fault he was late. (I suppose she thought it was his fault but still she needn't roll her eyes)
 5th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes

Delta - Seats with Minors

I booked tickets to Hawaii in May 2010 for me, my wife, and our 2 small children (5 & 6). After booking the flight I spoke with a supervisor to make sure that it was noted we were flying with 2 minors so we would not get seperated. TWO WEEKS before our flight I received an email that there was a schedule change and now none of us are sitting together. I then spoke to a supervisor who told me there was nothing that they could do, and I have to wait until the day of the flight to see if I have to worry about my 5 & 6 year old sitting with a stranger on the flight to hawaii.
1st, there should be a law against this specific situation, and 2nd Delta should be far more accomodatating to parents with small children. Obviously it does not seem to concern them.
I will never fly Delta again, and I suggest that anyone who is going to fly with small children choose a different airline.
Thanks for ruining my vacation!
 7th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
I just "redeemed" some "Delta Skymiles". By the time the whole transaction was over I ended up paying about $700 more AFTER redeeming miles than if I had gone to Expedia and just booked the trip without miles.

When I complained they told me the "terms and conditions" garbage and told me they get "special rates" for Skymiles customers (higher!?). Like others, we've always had trouble trying to redeem miles.

I have been totally ripped off and will never try again. TOTAL SCAM.
 17th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes

Delta - Bad service

I bought a vaio notebook from iran with delta service guarantee. after about 10 months LED screen of that laptop got dark from a little area without any hurting, i reguested delta service to change or repair it, they didnt do anything and said 'we are sure that u hurt it', they sended back to me with a bigger darkness on the screen.
please review this complainment.

21st of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I received an e-mail from Delta on feb 10, 2011 Offering me a 25.00 American Express gift card for every round trip I booked on Delta between Feb 10, 2011 and April 10, 2011. I registered and traveled round trip 4 times---No gift cards--called delta-they said call Amex---called AmEx they said call Delta--have been trying to get an answer since May 25th-
Today 6/20/2011, I get an e-mail from Delta stating that on March 25th-they decided that they would only issue the gift cards to skymile members who have a delta skymiles american express credit card-and that I have to have put the credit card information on my skymiles profile--Has anyone else had the same problem??? Thank you
 29th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
ask the person in front of you to put their seat up. Be thankful you got a seat, i had to sit at the airport once with a 3 year old for hours,
 29th of Jul, 2011 by    -1 Votes
i guess you paid alot more for your ticket than the other passengers? other passengers expect the same thing. so, for you miss insignificant, now what
 8th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
White house petition to hold airlines accountable for their disregard for their customers
 18th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes
I booked a cruise on Delta Cruises and found that the cruise was not for over 1 year away, so I called the Delta Customer Service and was totally refused a complete refund ( the 24.95 booking fee ) after only booking it 5 minutes before. What a scam Delta runs. Also the customer service lady I talked to literally hollered at me and stated I was being to loud with her ( not at all!!!). So to make a long story short, I will be on a cruise in a year or so ( if I live that long) since I couldn't cancel and I didn't care to lose my money by booking a cruise through a low quality booking agent ( DELTA SKYMILES CRUISES) with rude employees. Oh and so Delta Airline knows. I canceled my delta email account and after I deplete my skymiles with free reward miles
(nothings free with Delta Airlines) I will cancel my delta account in full. For all you that are unsatisfied with Delta, take a look at Allegiant Air, Southwest, and BlueJet. I sure have had good luck with their service and reward programs.
Ed Meshechek
 20th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes

Delta - Disrespectful Supervisors at Salt Lake City Location

I just wanted to inform you about an encounter I had with a supervisor at your Salt Lake City location. In the many years I have been a loyal customer to your airline, I have never been treated with the disrespect and condescending attitudes as I experienced on this call. I was told the call was recorded, "whatever, if you are not happy just go online and complain and they can hear what you are saying since this call is recorded" and I was also told "You are clearly not understanding this, repeat after me. . . what did I just say?" I was asking for a simple clarification of my seats and my preference to be seated with my girlfriend since we booked the flights together. Please if you can, look up the conversation and hear for yourself. I am so offended, and truly appalled that an agent in Salt Lake City can represent your company as a supervisor. I will definitely think twice about choosing your airline in the future as a result of this incident. I called back and spoke with a kind gentleman Nick, also in Salt Lake City who apologized and clarified the situation. He was truly kind and the only saving grace from this chaos. I understand that you are a huge company now, but for the customers that have been loyal and flying you for years, we recall the times your customer service was unparalleled in the industry. I expect an airline such as yours to set the standards. A supervisor who takes to insulting and berating your customers will drive the company into the ground. I really hope you take this to hear. I would really appreciate follow up as well. Please feel free to get in touch at your earliest convenience.

Rectify the situation by contacting me to discuss the matter in further detail. I would like Delta to investigate this supervisor as I am sure that I am not the only one she has treated with disrespect. Additionally, anything that Delta sees as a gesture of gratitude for my loyalty and as an apology would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Contact Us