CVS Pharmacy

Poor customer service

CVS Pharmacy
3rd Street & Fairfax Avenue
Los Angeles, California
I have been a regular at this store on 3rd and Fairfax and time and again I am amazed at how bad customer service is at this store. Through the many years I have been shopping at this store there have been numerous managers coming and going - none could make any difference whatsoever. The employees (at least most of them) seem to hate the customers and they all look like they'd rather be some place else, but at work doing their job. Most of them walk around at a snail's pace and try to pass you on to the next person God forbid you have an question or request. Today I had an encounter with a new manager named Martha, whom I had never seen there before. She was most unhelpful and condescending. I wanted to buy a carton of Marlborough Gold 100's, but they were out of it, as usual. They have known for years that this is one brand of cigarettes that sells the most, yet they never order enough to last until the next shipment. The last manager blamed the corporate office for the occurance saying they only get so much per store and cannot get more, but at least had the flexibility to find ten packs of the same brand to make up for a carton. This new manager - Martha - said no way possible, I have to sell you the cigarettes by the pack, because I do not have a full carton - even though I told her I would take a couple of packs of the short ones. She had no business sense whatsoever, and was unwilling and unresourceful to help. I stormed out of the store swearing I'll never come back, but I still cannot get over the fact that CVS keeps hiring these horrible people to manage their stores time and again. No wonder the employees are lacking any kind of enthusiasm or drive for better customer service. With this kind of example in their face how can anyone expect better? Until CVS changes their management, they surely cannot expect any improvement in their famously bad customer service and the long list of endless complaints. My advice to CVS is to hire better managers and start showing some appreciation towards the existing employees who demonstrate their abilities in customer satisfaction. Stop hiring managers fresh out of hight school, because they don't have a clue how to service people much less how to relate to any customer issues. Pay the big bucks to deserving people and not to those who obviously hate the customers shopping in your stores.
On the last note, please take notice of the inability to resolve a simple issue demonstrated by your new store manager named Martha. She needs to find another job - accountant maybe? Certainly not anywhere where she needs to deal with real people and real issues, however simple they may be.
Complaint comments Comments (31) Complaint country United States Complaint category Drug Stores

Comments

15th of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes
I submitted a prescription for Wellbutrin to CVS on Saturday and was told to pick it up in an hour. I went back on Sunday morning to get it and was told they didn't have a prescription for me. After waiting 20 minutes, I was told they needed to get more information from the doctor before they could fill the prescription. I called the pharmacy Monday morning to see if my prescription was ready and again was told they didn't have one for me. I explained I dropped it off on Sat and they were waiting to hear from the doctor. The female pharmacist put me on hold and to my surprise a male pharmacist picked up the phone and said in a very rude manner, "Your prescription is here, come and get it!!" I responded with, "Oh really, what prescription are you referring to?" He rudely answered, "Your nasonex." I explained I didn't have a prescription for that and he put me on hold. A few minutes later he got back on the phone and said he left a message with the doctor but hasn't received a call back. I said ok, hung up and called the doctor. They informed me there was no message from him and that all requests had to be faxed which their voicemail states clearly. I called him back and told him he needed to fax it and he said he would do it at his convenience. That was at 3pm. I called the pharmacy at 5:30pm and asked if it was ready. The same rude pharmacist, Emanuel, said "Ma am, I have talked to you three times today and I am too busy for this!" I told him i wanted to talk to a manager and he said he was the manager. I went to the store the next morning to get this situation resolved. The store manager said she would fax the request herself. I told her I would be back around 5pm to pick up my prescription. I wenbt back that evening and the pharmacist said they couldn't fill the prescription because they were waiting on prior approval from the doctor. I asked if she notified the doctor of this and she said no, that I needed to do this. She knew about this at noon that day and never bothered to pick up the phone to let me get the problem resolved that day. I was furious. This was now 4 days of trying to get my prescription filled. She too, acted like I was bothering her. So I went to my doctor, got a new prescription, took it to Giant and got it filled within 20 minutes. Go figure. It's so true you live and learn. I will never use CVS Pharmacy again. It's just not worth the aggravation.
I am not sure why CVS would have these rude employees dealing with their customers. I am sure I am not the first to complain about this pharmacist and I am sure I won't be the last.
 1st of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
My family is through with CVS! We have been going to the same store for 3 years (TOWSON MARYLAND STORE) and you would think that by now they might recognize you. NOPE....thats because they just don't care at all about their customers. They are rude, arrogant and have the belief that you are just one customer and if they lose you its NO BIG DEAL. They have MANY more. This time they were wrong. I am the head of my homeowners association of over 200 members. At the last meeting we all agreed to never shop there again. For that one store that is a lot of money!!! They WILL definitely feel this one. After multiple complaints to headquarters and nothing changed....that is what they get....What goes around...COME AROUND!!!
 29th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
Okay so here's another one from yours truly. And I have every right to voice this to the employers that really "get my goat." Laid off, very qualified, very customer oriented, etc..

I walk into our big new CVS at 2 in the morning to see a "Now Hiring 3rd Shift" sign on the door. I inquired with a lady inside, and she said "OH we REALLY need help 3rd shift! Go apply and call first thing in the morning for a manager..." -so I did. For the 2nd time now mind you. Anyway, I call, get an assistant manager who can't tell me anything but that my application made it there. Great... tells me to call back... ooookay. I call back later, get a woman who is supposedly a manager who ALSO says she cant tell me anything... she transfers me to the SAME GUY i talked to originally who knows nothing and transfers me BACK TO HER!! She tells me "well, we're not hiring until after the holidays." --then why, praytell, is there a huge sign on your door saying you are? So I was patient.. Called back January 3rd... and told they aren't hiring anyone. ---And so my craziness towards employers goes on... UGH!! ..but I'm the one without the job...?!
 6th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
My Drs. office called in a prescription for me approximately 10am so I went to pick the medicine up approximately 11:50. Cashier #496847 who said her name was Judy, said "can I help you?" I said I need to pick up medicine for then I gave her my name she then said we don't have you in our system have you had medicine filled here before I said yes a while ago. The tech then said "come down here we need to get some information from you". She then said very rude "Do you have any insurance?" When I said yes then handed her my insurance card in her hand and it wasn't medicaid her hold expression change. I ask her if I wouldn't have came in would someone had called me after a while she said no very rude it (the prescription) would've sat there like these she raised a stack full - she then placed my insurance card on the counter... my opinion on this would be on their voice message if the pharmacist or the tech don't talk with the nurse or the Dr a message should be left to leave the patient telephone number for contact. I said based on this tech attitude I want have medicine filled at CVS again she (the tech )said ok then start waiting on the next customer. I reported this to a store manager who said she would talk with the cashier... these cashiers need to know no matter what type of insurance it is, no matter how I may look I am a paying customer and this is how her salary is paid. Don't let this go unresolved because I will write till something is done... just may record my next visit at a CVS and send it to Congress , White House or have MSNBC investigate my complaints and others...
 4th of Jul, 2007 by    +1 Votes
I had an experience with the person in charge of the pharmacy that was so disturbing to me that I have told everyone I know to not go to cvs to fill prescriptions anymore. I have tried every day since then to talk with some one in the complaints department but to no avail.
 6th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
my girlfriend works in pharmacy and she does a good job.its the people above her that make everything in the stores fall apart plus they treat her like shit.if you are indian you are golden to them.
 4th of Dec, 2007 by    +1 Votes
I work for CVS and let me tell you. Pharmacy had roach in the bottles, they wouldn't listen to customers and unlimited mistake on meds. Expired medications that they are still giving out. I report it and nothing is done. But I guess the public news station would love this.
 7th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
You guys have some bad districts, and bad pharmacy managers obviously. You do realize that the Pharmacy stuff is pretty much separated from the Front end management. They have their own District Supervisor and Manager. The only thing the store manager can do is consult with the RX manager. Just and FYI and not all CVS is bad.
 7th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
As far as the hiring. CVS hires electronicly (spell?? oops). You use the electronic app in store or go online at cvs.com - The store in question HAS TO WAIT to hear from corporate whom determan if you are qualified to work for CVS based on the questionare. This sometimes takes a week or two. Mean time there are problebly literally dozens of people that applied before you and were being looked at. Mabe you werent what they were looking for. I hope Dan has since found a job and is doing well.
 7th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
As far as Shona's message goes... huh???
 13th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
eckerd used to hire people within days and guess what they got all kind of people crack head and alcoholic that drinking while on the job. so recently cvs just started doing drug test and background check on managment before hiring not to mention 40 mins of personality tests.
 7th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I guess all that I have read about CVS Pharmacy lousy customer service is true Store # 2513 at Dilwothtown Crossing Shopping Center, has young chippies in pharmacy who could care less about customer satisfaction. Pharmacy manager Bob's atitude is take or leave it. So it's off to Walgreens even though they don't have a drive-in. You better believe I will tell everyone about CVS!
 10th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
To whom it may concern,
A little over a month ago I was diagnosed with valley fever and received a prescription for Fluconazole 200 mg. 60 tablets. The charge was about $200 which I paid. When I called to renew my prescription, I asked what the price would be and I was told it had not changed. I went to Walgreens and renewed my prescription there and paid $15.39. I did not misplace the decimal, it was 1/13th the price. In case you think the price had just gone down, I called Walgreens one week after I got my first prescription and it was $15.39.Costco was 25.00. Your store made an excellent profit off of that sale. However, my wife and I buy between 300 and 400 dollars worth of drugs a month, but not from you anymore. We probably buy several thousand more in other sundry goods from you over a year, but not anymore. Of course I tell everyone that I know about the huge price overcharge from your store so I am sure that will cost you plenty of sales. In the long run you will lose the profit, and we can safely say that in this economic climate, you will probably need all the sales you can get.

Daniel Singer
 22nd of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have a very disappointing experience in my purchases like customer in CVS pharmacy in address 737 Cape Coral Pkwy .
recently.

#1- Recently I was badly treated by a Cashier.
#2-Six month ago, I bought a medicine for my daughter and she had an allergic reaction to it, I try to return the medicine and they didn’t take back and I didn’t take my money back neither, and so I called customer service, the representative tolled me that the pharmacy should call me back and they never did.
#3- The phone number that show in the receive is a fake number.

I just starting think about switching to Walgreens pharmacy .
 13th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
To previous Belkis Hernendez: Why should the pharmacy take back a medication because your daughter had an allergic reaction to it?? How is it their fault she was allergic to it-they're not psychic!
 23rd of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
i was told by a staff member name ashley that the rxs i dropped off would be ready for me to pick up between 8:30 and 9:30 pm on 1/23/09. when returning at 9:30 pm. i picked up my meds at 10:00 at the drive through service. After my waiting staff member ( alley), or ( ashley ) employee number 548002. was not helpful to me at all!!! after handing me my meds, she shut the window, after conversating with a front end member, locked the window and did not give me a chance to ask any questions on any of the six rx's recieved!!! these meds were for infants and her lack of helpfullness to me really ticked me off! i would like to hear from someone asap on this matter, or willbe contacting again soon, and or returning to the store for another complaint!
 4th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hi, I am currently a Pharmacy Technician in a CVS located in Las Vegas.

For this original poster, I can tell you what happened here. First, you dropped off your prescription on Saturday. On the prescription was probably missing the doctors name, strength of medication, quantity of medication, or etc. This stunted us from filling your prescription, so we could only wait until Monday to call the doctor. So two days pass, and we still haven't called the doctor. Why? Because I am certain that there is a completely different staff working Monday, and sorry to sound rude but some pharmacies are extremely busy. Like mine, which does 400 prescriptions a day with limited staff. Sometimes it's a miracle to go throughout the day. But the way they acted towards you is not acceptable. I apologize for that and hope that some day you do come back to CVS Pharmacy.

Here are a list of issues I constantly run into:

Mam/Sir, your insurance isn't processing this medication; reason why is because:
1. They do not cover this medication
2. The refill is too soon
3. It requires a prior authorization (your dr. has to call your insurance to explain why you need this medication)

And it is far to common that I get yelled at for this. Fellow customers, please understand that we, as pharmacies, are the middle men between the person that writes you the prescription, your insurance, and yourself. I am currently studying to become a pharmacist, and what better way to put my foot in the door than to work as a technician. So I am not only doing this for my own benefit, but I enjoy helping others, giving them what they need and for the majority, require.

For the above examples, you may feel cheated by us to some extent for not 'making the insurance work', and I also understand that you may want to transfer your prescription to Walgreens, and although you may seem as if this does make a difference, it really doesn't to be frank. When a pharmacy processes a prescription through the insurance, we ALL get the same results. This has become far to common, where a patient enters the pharmacy, coming from Walgreens, complaining that they're ignorant and cannot process their prescription, and we tell them the same exact reject message that we received from the other pharmacy.
 12th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Today, I called to confirm my prescription because I knew theyd give me the same excuse when I arrived. When I called, this rude female pharmacist with a strong indian accent said they didnt receive it. I made her put me on hold 3 times to find it. She came back and assured me they didnt have it. I was so sick of their game and I needed my medication so I called my dr. to refax it. 2 hours later I called CVS to confirm. CVS said they didnt get it again. I began to complain over the phone, and the lady put me on hold to search the office. She came back on the phone, didnt apologize, said it'll be ready in 30 mins, and hung up on me before I could speak. She was so short, I was baffled at how rude an educated and definitely overpaid pharmacist could be ! I arrived 40 mins later, it wasnt ready. They told me to wait another 15 minutes. 20 mins later my meds were ready, finally! But the pharmacist said he wanted to see my insurance card. He couldnt tell me why.

I have been going to CVS for the past 3 years. I have the same job, same insurance, and I was just there 2 months ago. But today they needed my insurance card in order to process my prescription?! They couldnt tell me why, they wouldnt bother to ask the "head pharmacist." They turned me away and told me to come back after making me wait 30 mins, and another 20 minutes. Why couldnt they tell me they needed my insurance card the first time, or the second time. I waited an hour in the car, and then they told me that they needed my insurance card.

All I wanted to pick up was Esomeprazole. Its a generic medication that Aetna covers. But tonight CVS wanted to give me a hard time and demanded for my insurance card or they couldnt release the medication and wouldnt process it. They asked if i wanted to come back tomorrow, they'll hold my meds for me. I said no thanks, I'm never returning to CVS again.
 4th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have been using the CVS on Wayne Memorial Drive in Goldsboro NC. I went to fill a prescription yesterday and they were telling people it would be 3 hours to get the script filled. Then the pharmacist says that after my script she will not take any more for the day and that people can just go somewhere else. Number one- there are a dozen pharmacies around and number two- she was extremely unprofessional. I told them not to worry- that I would go somewhere else and I wouldn't be back. I went across the street to Walgreens.
It's a shame too, because I like the setup in CVS but will not return. Especially in the economy we have today, stores need to be glad to be overrun with customers because there are plenty of other drug stores willing to fill the script and be decent to the customers.
 9th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
OMG, you had to wait 3 hours for a script? So what? Maybe the Pharmacist was just very busy. I am always glad to have people like you come in, complain and leave. THANK GOODNESS, there was a Walgreens next door. By the way, we all talk to each other and be assured we all know what you are:)
To the Post itself, if you had questions about the Meds for the infant you should have listen to the MD. Maybe they closed at 10pm and had enough people like you in there all day. What a MOM!

CVS Pharmacy Logo CVS Pharmacy