Enjoy all the features! Create an account or Sign In

Con Edison Contacts & Informations

Con Edison

Posted:

Overcharging

For over a year now we have been fighting Con Edison for overcharging us. In August of 2005 we received a bill of over $1,700, ususally our bill varies between $80 and $140. We called Con Edison informing them that we live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and that this amount was impossible. In January a technician come out to check our meter which is located in the basement of an MRI office located in our building. They said that the meter reading was correct, and to pay this amount. We had always been on time with our bills, and feel like we are fighting Goliath. We don't know what to do anymore. We contacted the Consumer Protection Agency here in NYC but they haven't done anything for us. What else can we do?

Thanks for your help,

Gabriele Gorden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
My mother is going through a similar situaition, she is being charged almost $1000.00 on her Con edison bill, when she is a single woman with no children who is basically very old fashioned; she doesn't even own a microwave! I spoke with the con edison representative and he stated he would have a representative call to see if it was necessary for a technician to go and check her meter. the representative that called was very rude and did not try to be helpful, he did not ask her any questions. He told my mother that all she wanted was for con ed to tell her she did'nt have to pay and he will not send a technician over. She now faces a disconnection at the end of the month. I do not know what else to do.

Thak you,
Giselle Ellis
 9th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
We had the same problems for over 8 months. they over charged us by $825. We live in a studio apartment and use the gas for cooking maybe 2-3 times a week averaging maybe 30 minutes per time. About 3 months ago we requested their techs to come out and check our lines and meter and see if there was anything wrong with them, but everything was good, So we continued to pay. (avg. $90 - $ 120 per month) So, my land lord came up one day to fix our thermostat as i thought this may be the problem. To my surprise , he said that we don't pay for the heating. He said that these were crazy prices and to call Coned straight away. So after several call over several months telling us that our bills were perfectly normal, i spoke to a nice woman who actually took some time to really check out what was going on and finally admitted that coned has made a huge mistake and would be refunding us straight away.. She said that Coned were charging us of a reading that they did in june (which was high) and even though they had carried out 3 meter readings after it, all well below the June reading, they kept June meter as an average. For what reason i don't know. But they did..
Hope this helps...
 21st of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am paying average $150-180 a month all throughout the year. my rent is supposed to include the heating. I simply do not know whether this is normal. I live in mid-town manhattan one bedroom apartment. I think it's about 650 sq feet. nothing big at all..
I used to live in downtown one bedroom apartment, about 800 sq. feet, and the heating wasn't included in the rent. even then I paid less than $150 a month.
Can somebody let me know whether I am paying too much or this is normal price in the NYC?
 11th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
we live in HUD housing in westchester, we are paying hundreds of dollars to con edison since our management put in "New Lights" on the premises, how do we find out if they made a deal or if conedison is overcharging us? our bills used to be 50-100 in the winter, now 200-$1, 000.. help us, who do we write to to investigate? ps. we are the only section 8 housing paying for hot water and con edison seperatly...
 2nd of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
Con Ed does very little if anything about complaints ... I spent two years trying to get Con Ed to identify why I was getting $600-800 monthly bills ... I even had two Con Ed technicians come to my house who admitted there was something wrong ... and one of them told me Con Ed should do something about it but will not ... I wrote a letter to Con Ed CEO Kevin Burke at his office at 4 Irving Place NY, NY 10005 asking for help ... he referred me to his executive Marilyn Caselli to resolve the issue ... all she did was send a Con Ed crew out that zapped my 52 inch Televesion by accident and then say there was nothing wrong. I was annoyed that Marilyn Caselli always took a long time to write back and then never addressed my specific questions ... to further aggravate the situation I notice my August 2008 Con Ed bill is almost 60% higher (per Kilowatt hour) than my August 2007 bill. In August 2007 Con Ed charged me 18 cents a Kilowatt hour ... now in August 2008 they are charging me 28 cents a Kilowatt hour.

The agency that oversees Con Edison (theoretically) is the New York State Public Service Commission ... their phone number is 1800 342-3377 ... I've spoken to them numerous times and in my opinion they are more concerned with Con Ed collecting unpaid balances than they are resolving complaints ... but at least they will pick up the phone and make a show of attempting to resolve the issue.

In my opinion the bottom line here with Con Edison is that they really will never resolve complaints satisfactorily until the NY State Attorney General sues the NY State Public Service Commission and by proxy Con Edison (as apparently the NY State Attorney General is not allowed to go after Con Ed) ... a very sobering conclusion ...
 18th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
My daughter has a charge for Consolidated Edison on her Credit report - we live in California and she has never had a con ed account of any kind - who are these people and how do you contact them?
 1st of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have the same problem my con ed bill normally is from $80-$100. 1st i was billed for $200 for two months claiming that we own them more money for the year. After two months later they billed me for $700 and the next month a total of $989 bill. I don't know what to do because con ed is not helping me out to solve this issue and I can't pay this much money. They are bringing up meter reading from 2007 and 2008 and I have always payed my bills on time and never missed a payment. I live in a three bedroom house and nothing has changed over 3 months that they are sending me such high bills and I have been living at this house for 8years this is the first time I was billed so high. If anyone can help me by telling me what I should do now because con ed is not helping me out and I don't want to pay for something I did not use.
 27th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have a mother/daughter house & get 2 Con Ed (appropriately named cause they are con artists) bills every month. A recent review of the rates indicated that despite the fact that I am billed for the exact same time period on both bills, and they are both for the exact same address, the rates are different. I spoke to some bimbo at Con Ed who confirmed that it was a mistake, & a supervisor would call. That was ONE YR AGO, no phone call. Finally, got a phone call from a supervisor, who explained that because 1 apt. consumes more, then it is charged at a higher rate. She said, "If you buy 3 oranges at .75, then 6 will cost you 1.50". Thanks for the math lesson, bimbo #2, but we weren't talking oranges. Wrote a letter, with copies of bills enclosed, explaining that I already pay more for 1 bill because I consume more, but charging a higher rate is double dipping. If I buy 1 gallon of gas or 10, the price per gallon is the same. You wouldn't believe that the response I got was, "when you buy 'premium' gas, you pay a higher per gallon price". WHEN DID I ASK FOR PREMIUM ELECTRICITY? Isn't it all the same? I wrote them again, & enclosed the bills again, this time the lower bill, which had less consumption, was at a higher rate!&()$#^^*)$# Did they respond? No. But, they keep 'zapping' me, I guess that's their 'premium service'. It's time for the public service commission & elected officials to get involved.
 9th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
GGoodwin: I was simply reiterating what I was TOLD by Con Ed as an explanation for the differing rates. The home is residential, but the rates are different. First it was higher for the apt that 'consumed' more; then the apt that consumed less was charged a higher rate. Are you confused yet? If you pull into a gas station & ask for 10 gallons, do you expect to pay more than someone who only needs one gallon? WHAT WORLD ARE YOU LIVING IN?
 4th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
So, let's get together and protest this abuse by Con Edison, they think that people in NYC are rich and not that many are. So why not join the protest in wall street with banners against the abuse of rates in Con Edison.
 3rd of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
They took 7895 dollars from my checking account .When I call after waiting half hour to speak to someone they said that my bill was so high they estimated the cost and took everything from my checking account. That's what I get for having direct payment plan.don't know what to do?
 16th of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes

Con Edison - Overly high bills
Con Edison
Elmsford

I have been receiving extremely high bills for almost 3 years now .
 30th of Mar, 2015 by    0 Votes
I myself am going through the same situation with Con Ed and their false monthly bills. I live in a two bedroom apartment that I share with my teenage son. Both my son and I are never home due to my work schedule and his school schedule. My con ed bills have range from $500-$800 a month and most recently recieved a bill for $1200.00. I am constantly calling and complaining or giving a new meter reading(which I've learned that it only makes matters worse, because you receive a higher bill). In order to be able pay the monthly bill I have to constantly request for a payment agreement which they make you pay your monthly bill in total along with an agreement amount for your past bills that you know are not correct. This is getting crazy and anymore I speak to about it states I should seek legal assistance. Anyone has any suggestions on how we can fight against Con Ed and their fradulent monthly bills...What can we do?
 11th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
Con Edison bills whatever they wish and do not care about customer complaints. They play the wait and see game and then say nothing wrong with the meters. Our business was over charged by $22, 000 in two months for steam usage. Con Edison came and changed out meters, regulating valves and restriction plates so numbers returned to normal. Still they do not want to credit us for overcharge. If you are a small business do not let Con Edison change out your shuntflow (Dial) meters for digital, they will under size the new meters and will cost you a fortune. They are a greedy company that does not care about customers only want to take all your money. Shame on Con Edison and on regulators and government for letting them get away with it. The buildings around us have started changing to boilers and we will be looking to do the same soon.
 7th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
Hi Mrs. Gorden:

I suggest that we file a class action suit against Con Edison and that we collectively contact the Mayor or Governor of NYC. I was thumbing through my bills and on 12/13 the bill was fully satisfied and no previous debt was due. However on the 1/14 the bill was 346.00. I live in NYCHA in a one bedroom apartment and I have not lived there since May 4, 2012 to the present date. I am unsure how I am consuming energy when I do not live in the apartment because the apartment is in deplorable conditions. This is ridiculous and the Public Service Commission does absolutely nothing on behalf of clients complaints. If you show them proof they begin to batter you and degrade you.

I am fed up with this nonsense and will find a way to bring action against Con Edison. They are robbing customers and no one is listening to our complaints.

Travel Scams