Con Edison

Posted:

Overcharging

4.3
For over a year now we have been fighting Con Edison for overcharging us. In August of 2005 we received a bill of over $1,700, ususally our bill varies between $80 and $140. We called Con Edison informing them that we live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and that this amount was impossible. In January a technician come out to check our meter which is located in the basement of an MRI office located in our building. They said that the meter reading was correct, and to pay this amount. We had always been on time with our bills, and feel like we are fighting Goliath. We don't know what to do anymore. We contacted the Consumer Protection Agency here in NYC but they haven't done anything for us. What else can we do?

Thanks for your help,

Gabriele Gorden
Complaint comments Comments (36) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

17th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
My mother is going through a similar situaition, she is being charged almost $1000.00 on her Con edison bill, when she is a single woman with no children who is basically very old fashioned; she doesn't even own a microwave! I spoke with the con edison representative and he stated he would have a representative call to see if it was necessary for a technician to go and check her meter. the representative that called was very rude and did not try to be helpful, he did not ask her any questions. He told my mother that all she wanted was for con ed to tell her she did'nt have to pay and he will not send a technician over. She now faces a disconnection at the end of the month. I do not know what else to do.

Thak you,
Giselle Ellis
 9th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
We had the same problems for over 8 months. they over charged us by $825. We live in a studio apartment and use the gas for cooking maybe 2-3 times a week averaging maybe 30 minutes per time. About 3 months ago we requested their techs to come out and check our lines and meter and see if there was anything wrong with them, but everything was good, So we continued to pay. (avg. $90 - $ 120 per month) So, my land lord came up one day to fix our thermostat as i thought this may be the problem. To my surprise , he said that we don't pay for the heating. He said that these were crazy prices and to call Coned straight away. So after several call over several months telling us that our bills were perfectly normal, i spoke to a nice woman who actually took some time to really check out what was going on and finally admitted that coned has made a huge mistake and would be refunding us straight away.. She said that Coned were charging us of a reading that they did in june (which was high) and even though they had carried out 3 meter readings after it, all well below the June reading, they kept June meter as an average. For what reason i don't know. But they did..
Hope this helps...
 21st of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am paying average $150-180 a month all throughout the year. my rent is supposed to include the heating. I simply do not know whether this is normal. I live in mid-town manhattan one bedroom apartment. I think it's about 650 sq feet. nothing big at all..
I used to live in downtown one bedroom apartment, about 800 sq. feet, and the heating wasn't included in the rent. even then I paid less than $150 a month.
Can somebody let me know whether I am paying too much or this is normal price in the NYC?
 4th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
for the last 3 years my bill has skyrocketed. I live in a studio apartment i am in my house approxiamately maybe 8-10 hours a day. I went from paying 36.00 to paying close to 100.00 per month it is getting out of hand. In march they had threaten to turn it off -I have paid as of this date 150.00-just check my mail box they are telling me that i owe another 103.00-everytime i have paid the bill in the past that was suppose to be the current bill. I manage my office at work and we are not being charged what they are charging me. I think my money is going to remodel their new offices on the river. Who can I really complain to.
 11th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
we live in HUD housing in westchester, we are paying hundreds of dollars to con edison since our management put in "New Lights" on the premises, how do we find out if they made a deal or if conedison is overcharging us? our bills used to be 50-100 in the winter, now 200-$1, 000.. help us, who do we write to to investigate? ps. we are the only section 8 housing paying for hot water and con edison seperatly...
 4th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
Con Ed does very little if anything about complaints ... I spent two years trying to get Con Ed to identify why I was getting $600-800 monthly bills ... I even had two Con Ed technicians come to my house who admitted there was something wrong ... and one of them told me Con Ed should do something about it but will not ... I wrote a letter to Con Ed CEO Kevin Burke at his office at 4 Irving Place NY, NY 10005 asking for help ... he referred me to his executive Marilyn Caselli to resolve the issue ... all she did was send a Con Ed crew out that zapped my 52 inch Televesion by accident and then say there was nothing wrong. I was annoyed that Marilyn Caselli always took a long time to write back and then never addressed my specific questions ... to further aggravate the situation I notice my August 2008 Con Ed bill is almost 60% higher (per Kilowatt hour) than my August 2007 bill. In August 2007 Con Ed charged me 18 cents a Kilowatt hour ... now in August 2008 they are charging me 28 cents a Kilowatt hour.

The agency that oversees Con Edison (theoretically) is the New York State Public Service Commission ... their phone number is 1800 342-3377 ... I've spoken to them numerous times and in my opinion they are more concerned with Con Ed collecting unpaid balances than they are resolving complaints ... but at least they will pick up the phone and make a show of attempting to resolve the issue.

In my opinion the bottom line here with Con Edison is that they really will never resolve complaints satisfactorily until the NY State Attorney General sues the NY State Public Service Commission and by proxy Con Edison (as apparently the NY State Attorney General is not allowed to go after Con Ed) ... a very sobering conclusion ...

One of the folks from their executive offices called me today and listened to my complaints but at the end of it said I could hire a 3rd party Energy Efficient company to come out to my house and make reccommendations ... she told me Con Ed did not have people certified to check my house for any electric problems ... these folks really are out to lunch ... take all our money then tell us to go hire a 3rd party company to find out why they are taking all our money. Why is this company even allowed to do anything?
 18th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
My daughter has a charge for Consolidated Edison on her Credit report - we live in California and she has never had a con ed account of any kind - who are these people and how do you contact them?
 29th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes
My Con Ed bill has gone through the roof (which is why I Googled Con Edison Rip Off and found this site). It is approximately $150 per month. It is an apartment... the cost just does not add up.

Horrible!

This is what happens when you are not given a choice. Take it or leave it.

I might complain but in the end I feel like "Why bother?"
 6th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
In recent months my bill has more than doubled over what I paid last year for the same time period -- $240 per month for a small apartment! Ironically, in the past year, I've reduced my power consumption. Not to mention the electric infrastructure in my very old (19th century) apartment can't support the load it would take to consume that much power.

Con Ed holds all the power. My options are to pay the monthly bill (no questions asked) or give up electricity.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
My last 3 bills with coned has trippled from past bills of $50, $60, $70 to now 209. My apt just as most here have stated is extremely tiny. Everytime I speak to coned reps about this problem they say " well the meter was read and this is the result" or " usage in the summer is more than other months." I understand that reasoning but no where should it be triple the amount or even double.My apt keeps pretty cool so i use a fan sometimes. I've probably used my AC on 10 0ccassions all summer long and never have they gone overnight etc. I also have fluorescent bulbs, I am not home often during the day. I use one lamp which comes on about 7 at night and i'm in bed by 9/10pm. I am paying a bill for a home or small business. Its outrageous. The interesting thing is the state commission may not assist appropriately. I found a federal website and while searching for answers. www.ferc.gov.com
I will check out their reasoning. I am not satisfied with this final bill. It smells of corruption and monopoly and price inflation. I would love others to contact me so that we may seek out legal action.
I strongly believe that these meters are tampered with and are therefore, faulty. They need to be replaced. We are being robbed and new policies need to be implemented. It can only be done with legal action. Please contact me.
 21st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Over the last year I have noticed my Con Edison bill getting progessivly larger. A most recent phenomenon is the outragous delivery charges! This last bill I used just under 18.97 over actual electricity. The rest of the 81.50 bill are delivery charges, surcharges & taxes!

I have written to Con Edison on numerous occasions. They cannot sufficiently expalin the charges either only that they see them as fair. Last month I spoke to a customer service agent. They young lady was apologetic, but still unable to explain how I am paying delivery charges & fees account for almost 70% of the bill!

Con Edison knows that we basicly have no choice & have no recourse in this area for electrical services.
The average person just sends them a check every month without even looking at their bill. If more people complained we might get someone to look at this "abuse of power".
 22nd of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Corporate GREED Con Ed sends out arbitrary bills and if you pay it fine, if you complain they say it's "usage" My bill went up 150% without valid explanation 12 22 08
 19th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have the same problem. Each month I spend about two days, if so munch at home because I have a property in Florida. My thermostat is lowered to 40 degrees and only one light (turned on from 7-11.30 p.m.) yet my utility bill was over $500.00 in December. Con Edison said the meter is correct but I cannot understand why the charges is so high.

I report this matter repeatidly to the New York Services Commission but nothing happens but Con Edison contact me and say the meter is working correctly.
 20th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I live in Fontana, calif. and my bills have trippled in the past 5 years. I'm discussed with EDISON. They rule your life..., My summer bills, (which last for 8 months) a year are usually 350.00 per month. I used to be on the "level pay plan" which I canceled after a couple of years. The year I signed up had been a very high useage year. And wouldn't you know they figure it based on your previous year usage, so I was paying around $200.00 per month(even in winter) so now I'm really eating it. I was off work for 8 months in 08, just went back to work in aug. and I'm trying to get caught up. I had 2 insufficient funds payment in 12 months and I got a letter today telling me I have to make a "DEPOSIT" of $820.00 to keep my account my lights on. I FREAKED !!!. I've just started to get back on my feet will tax refund and working again. She wanted me to pay $245.00 bi weekly. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I've lived in this house for 12 years, you know me and where to find me. What next? Here's an idea put a lean on my house. Thats what the Trash Co. would do. After I quit crying she told me she would speak with her supervisor and see what they could do. 2 minutes later she said that they could make the deposit payments over a longer period of time. Yea, I saved! NOT... Thanks alot you B_______! Starting tomorrow I looking for a business that sells and installs Solar Panels, so I can go to work for them and get myself and other people to start installing them so we can give Con EDISON THE "FINGER" AND DUMP THEM FOREVER AND EVER...THE #%&($@*^. Thank you for listening. You can contact me at lmele5177@aol.com.
 16th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have also tried to complain to Con Edison regarding this same issue. When I moved to my current apt in Feb 2007 I noticed a huge increase in my bill, at first I thought it was just the area and the fact that my new place was far larger then where I previously lived. Upon further inspection of my bill I noticed that half of my bill was made up of these outrages fees.

On average my bill now comes up to about $220 a month (crazy I know) and half of it are these unexplained fees. It has now become so absurd that the fees come out to more then the total charge my actual usage. When I speak to a rep of course they are apologetic and say they understand, then they go into this song a dance routine that I am sure they are very well trained on how they fees are determined. After all the vague explanation I am told that there is nothing I can do. I am extremely frustrated and determined to find a solution to this Crime that is being committed against all New Yorkers.
 7th of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
This month my gas portion of my Con Edison bill was $1.66 but with all the extra charges I'm expected to pay $20.16. The electric portion of my bill was$41.40 but with the extra charges I was billed $95.21. That's over 100 percent mark up. This is highway robbery. If anyone has any suggestions on what we can do please let us know. Calling or writing Con Ed is useless.
 1st of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have the same problem my con ed bill normally is from $80-$100. 1st i was billed for $200 for two months claiming that we own them more money for the year. After two months later they billed me for $700 and the next month a total of $989 bill. I don't know what to do because con ed is not helping me out to solve this issue and I can't pay this much money. They are bringing up meter reading from 2007 and 2008 and I have always payed my bills on time and never missed a payment. I live in a three bedroom house and nothing has changed over 3 months that they are sending me such high bills and I have been living at this house for 8years this is the first time I was billed so high. If anyone can help me by telling me what I should do now because con ed is not helping me out and I don't want to pay for something I did not use.
 30th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
ENOUGH! LET'S FIGHT BACK. WE CAN'T ALL BE WRONG, LYING AND IMAGINING THAT OUR BILLS ARE INFLATED! Please Take Time To Reply to E-mail Below.

Con Edison is definitely engaged in price gauging customers - especially low-income customers. PEOPLE, We MUST NOT ALLOW THIS TO CONTINUE. It is time to organize as a group and demand a congressional investigation as the mayor, Paterson, Schumer and the Public Utility Commission are all in cahoots with the billing scam. We can not all be wrong. We were not all wrong about the credit card and mortgage companies, and we're not all wrong about this. Con Edison is doing this because they know as individuals we are powerless. So, we, the people, let's come together and make our voices known and put an end to this abuse. This is blatant stealing on behalf of Con Edison and it's executives. Let us not continue to get mad, but let's get organize and fight these greedy corporate crooks. We can not afford to pay for these executives' third homes and children's Ivy League education. This is another case of deregulation at work - no one watching the chefs cook the books. How did we become a country so devious, dishonest, and greedy that we can't even trust a 'utility' company. What next?

Let's come together, meet, pool our resources of experience, media, contacts, skills and knowledge and pursue a class action suit against Con Edison. Individually, this is not going to get better - only worse.

If you are experiencing the same problem with unexplained high bills (our meters have been tweaked, or it's just random pricing), please take a moment to send a personal response to: conedbillingscam@yahoo.com
 30th of Dec, 2009 by    +1 Votes
For 4 years Con Edison has charged my family and I at a commercial rate for our 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. I submitted a complaint to PSC and Con Edison wrote me a letter stating that they sent me a letter in 2006 asking if I was a commercial or residential customer and I did not respond. I applied for services and I let them know that I am living at the address. Commerical customers and residential customers are processed differently. I did not know that I was charged a non residential rate, but their representative informed me when I can to find out why the bill was so high. The Attorney General should have a look out group for this monopoly. They are defrauding customers because there is no competition.
 27th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have a mother/daughter house & get 2 Con Ed (appropriately named cause they are con artists) bills every month. A recent review of the rates indicated that despite the fact that I am billed for the exact same time period on both bills, and they are both for the exact same address, the rates are different. I spoke to some bimbo at Con Ed who confirmed that it was a mistake, & a supervisor would call. That was ONE YR AGO, no phone call. Finally, got a phone call from a supervisor, who explained that because 1 apt. consumes more, then it is charged at a higher rate. She said, "If you buy 3 oranges at .75, then 6 will cost you 1.50". Thanks for the math lesson, bimbo #2, but we weren't talking oranges. Wrote a letter, with copies of bills enclosed, explaining that I already pay more for 1 bill because I consume more, but charging a higher rate is double dipping. If I buy 1 gallon of gas or 10, the price per gallon is the same. You wouldn't believe that the response I got was, "when you buy 'premium' gas, you pay a higher per gallon price". WHEN DID I ASK FOR PREMIUM ELECTRICITY? Isn't it all the same? I wrote them again, & enclosed the bills again, this time the lower bill, which had less consumption, was at a higher rate!&()$#^^*)$# Did they respond? No. But, they keep 'zapping' me, I guess that's their 'premium service'. It's time for the public service commission & elected officials to get involved.

Con Edison Logo Con Edison