logo
search

Columbia House Complaints & Reviews - This company is a SCAM!

Columbia House Contacts & Informations

Posted:

This company is a SCAM!

In 2004, a minor in my home ordered these in my name. Upon receipt I called and informed them of this. They sent me a return address label for the "Intro Package" and the 2 Director Selections that had been shipped in the meantime. I returned all the DVD's and never heard another word. Until now.

This past week I got a letter from a collection agency. Columbia House turned me in for not having "filled my obligation." First off, it wasn't mine to fill, it was fraud. Secondly, I returned the DVD's to them AT THEIR EXPENSE. Not to mention, it's been 3yrs! This is INSANE!

Then, try to call a customer service number and speak to a HUMAN. They don't exist. It's all recordings. Even their corporate line is. This company is a SCAM!!!
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Entertainment
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
I received a collection notice claiming that Columbia House had filed a complaint against me in the amount of $29.83. When I called the Collection Agency, they said that I owed Columbia House for a video ordered in October 2004 and gave me an old work address that I supposedly ordered this to be sent. I retired (permanently on disability) and have not worked at that location since May 21, 2003. I tried to explain that to them but the Collection Agency said there was nothing they could do.

I also tried calling and emailing Columbia House even though the Collection Agency said they now own the debt. On the phone, I was unable to speak to anyone and kept getting cut off. By e-mail, I just got a reply that they needed my member number to review my order.

I DIDN'T ORDER, DON'T OWE AND NEVER DID OWE THIS BILL.
 11th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
They were after me for over a year for money I didn't owe. Here's how I stopped them cold with one letter:

Send a letter to whomever sent you the bill (a collection agency or Columbia House itself) by CERTIFIED MAIL - RETURN RECEIPT REQUIRED (this is your proof they received the letter). This will cost you about $5, but it is worth it. When you get the green slip back, staple it to the letter and store both safely for at least three years.

In the letter tell them:
The account number listed
The balance they indicate you owe
"I do not believe I owe this debt"

Enter this paragraph, word for word, except for changing the info in brackets [ ] to fit your particular state:

[begin letter]
Section 805 of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requires that you provide me with ALL of the following information:

The name and address of the original creditor
The date of the original transaction
The amount of the original transaction
The date you acquired this debt
The amount you now claim is owed
The names, addresses, telephone numbers and social security numbers of all parties associated with this debt
Proof that I owe this debt
A copy of my State and Federal rights concerning this debt, including information on how to dispute it
Proof that you are licensed in the State of [your state], as well as providing me with your [your state here] license number.

You are aware, of course, that you cannot contact me further until this information is provided in full.

[end of letter]

after your signature add:

cc: [name of your state Attorney General]
Attorney General
State of [your state]
 20th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - Unauthorized credit card deductions

I cannot get ahold of this company and they are continuously taking money out of my credit card. If you have any information on this company please notify me as soon as possible. Thank You
 16th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I received one dvd in the mail and I did not order it. I sent back the bill with a note saying this was never ordered and to cancel.

They sent me a bill for $48.88 and as of May 4, 2007 they say they are going to report me to a national reporting agency. What a scam!!!
 3rd of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - Sent dvd i never ordered

Columbia house sent me a dvd i never ordered and expect me to pay by a certain date or i'll have to pay a late fee. now i have to spend my time and money to return dvd.
 27th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I agree, unfortunately I used a debit card and they withdrew my account and I am paying $35.00 for each overdraft fee they cause. I can't close the account because of the direct deposits coming in. I so want to get this company for this.
 3rd of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes
I paid off my debt to Columbia House in 2001 before purchasing my home. Now, I am being stalked by a collection agency that says they have purchased "the debt" yet they will not send proof of the debt. Here's a link to their website if you've been getting the automated calls as well:

1st of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - They gave my credit card number to great fun

I had 30 dollars on my prepaid card and from them moment it took me to put it on my card to the gas station it was gone. 5 minutes max. Good thing I had my rent money with me. Now Im short on my rent. Im very angree with columbia house they never told me that they were going to give my card number to someone else.
 15th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
I am being billed for items not ordered
 20th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - Credit card use not authorized!
Indianapolis
Phone: 1-888-467-7404
columbiahouse.com.

I am a member of Columbia House, membership # 50536279545. I called them on Dec. 17, and told them not to charge my credit card again. They said they would start billing me. I found out today that they charged my credit card for $37.96 without my permission. I want that money put back in my account immediately. I tried to call them today and was on hold for 2 hours. I am very very upset.
 7th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - Terrible experience!
704 Raymond Rd
Waunakee
Wisconsin
Phone: 608 849 8227

I returned a movie that was sent to me by Columbia House. It was never opened so I am not sure what the movie is. They sent
me a postcard saying they couldn't credit my account without knowing the name of the movie.

What do I do? I no longer have the cd!
 10th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - Received dvd in mail-not member!
200 E. marion st.
Madison
Missouri
Phone: 6602918469

I received an e-mail that stated my dvd selection was mailed on 4/8/o8 Forest Gump was the selected movie. I did not sign up with Columbia House for anything at all. I received the dvd in the mail today 4/10/08. I am beside myself with anger. I don't know what type of scam you are trying to pull but you are barking up the wrong tree. Call me at 660-291-8469.
 16th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - NEVER SIGNED UP FOR ANY DVD AND I RECEIVED ONE
Florida
Phone: 239-642-2022

I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR ANY DVD AND I RECEIVED ONE TODAY IN THE MAIL I DO NOT INTEND TO PAY FOR IT AS I DID NOT AGREE TO PURCHASES ANY DVD NOR WANT TO. I AM VERY UPSET WITH THIS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?
 30th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - never signed up
New Mexico

I don't believe I ever signed up for the club and yet I have received dvd after dvd. I paid for the first one but have returned them since then. Please remove my name and address from your system. Everett
 30th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - Unsolicited DVD Membership
P. O. Box 91616
Indianapollis
Indiana
Phone: no number on mailing
columbiahouse.com

I recieved a totally unsolicited DVD. I have not "joined" the Columbia House DVD club or solicited a product from them. I was sent a DVD titled "Georgia Ruls", which I have never heard of and do not wish to have nor other products from Columbia House period.
 10th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
My boyfriend got a dvd in the mail from columbia house and they wanted $5 for it. my boyfriend (Ray) said he never ordered anything from them, but we decided to watch the movie and he sent the $5 for it. Now he keeps getting dvd's in the mail that he didn't order with a bill of $51. He sent back the dvd that was sent and there is 1 dvd they say they sent, but he never got it. I emailed them telling them to stop sending dvd's and have sent back any dvd's that have been coming. I hope that this works. From all that I have been reading on line about them I have a feeling it will not end here. They are crooks is what they are so I will let you know what happens. The fact that you cannot even talk to a human when you call them tells you that! That is ridiculous!

Thank You for your info on them.

Tracy
 17th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - bill
columbiahouse
p.o.box 91615
columbiahouse.com

They send movies sometime multiples of same movie and I have to pay return shipping and the bill is always wrong.
 27th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
They're trying the same thing with me, even though we've never belonged to columbia house. I notice it's interesting that the name they have is not our full name. If my name were John Q Smith, they are sending it to SJohnQ, even on the now "we're sending a collection agency to get you" letters. I wonder if they bought a mailing list that didn't include full last names.

When I called and gave them the account number on the invoice, they repeatedly asked for my full name which I was too smart to give them. They said I ordered something on the web. I pointed out that I went to their site and found no way possible to order anything without arranging payment first. They have no "bill-me" option.

I wrote on an invoice that nobody by this name exists at this address, they sent me a post card acknowledging they received my note and asked that I return the dvd they sent. So I wrote "return to sender" and stuck it in the mail.

So now they are sending collection notices for $130, without a full name. Make me laugh. I think I'll take some of their postage paid envelopes and put some heavy sheet metal scraps in them and send them so they have to pay the postage. HA.

What a bunch of losers. Yes YOU columbia house, I'm sure you've googled this and found these posts - How does it feel to have such a crappy job trying to screw people? I'll be you feel good at the end of the day when you've successfully scared some old woman enough to send part of her measly SS check to you just so you can probably continue to screw her for more.

Go home tonight, look in the mirror and say it out loud, LOSER!!!
 28th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
it very simple accually you just need to call and say you did not sing up by law they will cancel with no charges and be carefull with the internet by you clicking on just a link you may sing for something so don't put everything on them you may have done it
 1st of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes

Columbia House - i am being charge for a DVD that i did not order and was sent to an address i never lived at
columbia house
Burton
Michigan

some one else ordered using my name
sent to an address that i never lived at
i called to advise columbia house of my address info
they sent me to collections and changed the dates of delivery but still got it wrong
i did not live at the address when they shipped out the product. both times they indicated they shipped
again i did not order nor did i receive this product

Investment Scams