logo

The Hair Shoppe
Bad hair color
3. (20 mins ago)
Pet Shipping GK Service
The puppy was never delivered
4. (23 mins ago)
Booking.com
Awful Customer Service & Inaccurate Website
5. (24 mins ago)
xmeeting.com
no messages or response from members

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Columbia House Complaints & Reviews - This company is a SCAM!

Columbia House Contacts & Informations

Columbia House

Posted:    Amanda R

This company is a SCAM!

In 2004, a minor in my home ordered these in my name. Upon receipt I called and informed them of this. They sent me a return address label for the "Intro Package" and the 2 Director Selections that had been shipped in the meantime. I returned all the DVD's and never heard another word. Until now.

This past week I got a letter from a collection agency. Columbia House turned me in for not having "filled my obligation." First off, it wasn't mine to fill, it was fraud. Secondly, I returned the DVD's to them AT THEIR EXPENSE. Not to mention, it's been 3yrs! This is INSANE!

Then, try to call a customer service number and speak to a HUMAN. They don't exist. It's all recordings. Even their corporate line is. This company is a SCAM!!!
Comments United States Entertainment
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Mar, 2007 by   Dawn Costello 0 Votes
I received a collection notice claiming that Columbia House had filed a complaint against me in the amount of $29.83. When I called the Collection Agency, they said that I owed Columbia House for a video ordered in October 2004 and gave me an old work address that I supposedly ordered this to be sent. I retired (permanently on disability) and have not worked at that location since May 21, 2003. I tried to explain that to them but the Collection Agency said there was nothing they could do.

I also tried calling and emailing Columbia House even though the Collection Agency said they now own the debt. On the phone, I was unable to speak to anyone and kept getting cut off. By e-mail, I just got a reply that they needed my member number to review my order.

I DIDN'T ORDER, DON'T OWE AND NEVER DID OWE THIS BILL.
 11th of Apr, 2007 by   EDT 0 Votes
They were after me for over a year for money I didn't owe. Here's how I stopped them cold with one letter:

Send a letter to whomever sent you the bill (a collection agency or Columbia House itself) by CERTIFIED MAIL - RETURN RECEIPT REQUIRED (this is your proof they received the letter). This will cost you about $5, but it is worth it. When you get the green slip back, staple it to the letter and store both safely for at least three years.

In the letter tell them:
The account number listed
The balance they indicate you owe
"I do not believe I owe this debt"

Enter this paragraph, word for word, except for changing the info in brackets [ ] to fit your particular state:

[begin letter]
Section 805 of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requires that you provide me with ALL of the following information:

The name and address of the original creditor
The date of the original transaction
The amount of the original transaction
The date you acquired this debt
The amount you now claim is owed
The names, addresses, telephone numbers and social security numbers of all parties associated with this debt
Proof that I owe this debt
A copy of my State and Federal rights concerning this debt, including information on how to dispute it
Proof that you are licensed in the State of [your state], as well as providing me with your [your state here] license number.

You are aware, of course, that you cannot contact me further until this information is provided in full.

[end of letter]

after your signature add:

cc: [name of your state Attorney General]
Attorney General
State of [your state]
 16th of May, 2007 by   Harjot Singh 0 Votes
I received one dvd in the mail and I did not order it. I sent back the bill with a note saying this was never ordered and to cancel.

They sent me a bill for $48.88 and as of May 4, 2007 they say they are going to report me to a national reporting agency. What a scam!!!
 3rd of Jul, 2007 by   Jean 0 Votes
I paid off my debt to Columbia House in 2001 before purchasing my home. Now, I am being stalked by a collection agency that says they have purchased "the debt" yet they will not send proof of the debt. Here's a link to their website if you've been getting the automated calls as well:

15th of Nov, 2007 by   Brett Chan 0 Votes

Billed for items I did not order - Columbia House

I am being billed for items not ordered
 10th of Aug, 2008 by   Tracy 0 Votes
My boyfriend got a dvd in the mail from columbia house and they wanted $5 for it. my boyfriend (Ray) said he never ordered anything from them, but we decided to watch the movie and he sent the $5 for it. Now he keeps getting dvd's in the mail that he didn't order with a bill of $51. He sent back the dvd that was sent and there is 1 dvd they say they sent, but he never got it. I emailed them telling them to stop sending dvd's and have sent back any dvd's that have been coming. I hope that this works. From all that I have been reading on line about them I have a feeling it will not end here. They are crooks is what they are so I will let you know what happens. The fact that you cannot even talk to a human when you call them tells you that! That is ridiculous!

Thank You for your info on them.

Tracy
 27th of Aug, 2008 by   Simon Quizno 0 Votes
They're trying the same thing with me, even though we've never belonged to columbia house. I notice it's interesting that the name they have is not our full name. If my name were John Q Smith, they are sending it to SJohnQ, even on the now "we're sending a collection agency to get you" letters. I wonder if they bought a mailing list that didn't include full last names.

When I called and gave them the account number on the invoice, they repeatedly asked for my full name which I was too smart to give them. They said I ordered something on the web. I pointed out that I went to their site and found no way possible to order anything without arranging payment first. They have no "bill-me" option.

I wrote on an invoice that nobody by this name exists at this address, they sent me a post card acknowledging they received my note and asked that I return the dvd they sent. So I wrote "return to sender" and stuck it in the mail.

So now they are sending collection notices for $130, without a full name. Make me laugh. I think I'll take some of their postage paid envelopes and put some heavy sheet metal scraps in them and send them so they have to pay the postage. HA.

What a bunch of losers. Yes YOU columbia house, I'm sure you've googled this and found these posts - How does it feel to have such a crappy job trying to screw people? I'll be you feel good at the end of the day when you've successfully scared some old woman enough to send part of her measly SS check to you just so you can probably continue to screw her for more.

Go home tonight, look in the mirror and say it out loud, LOSER!!!
 6th of Oct, 2010 by   Sarukkie 0 Votes
I am writing this since so many people are getting scammed by this company.
I know so many kids are buying 4 DVDs for 99cents to receive game money, and I was one of them.
After 2 months of joining their membership that I wasn't aware of, they started sending me expensive DVDs that cost $40.
I tried reaching columbia house by calling, but it was IMPOSSIBLE to get someone alive on the phone.
I even emailed them, but they replied back saying I should return the DVD to them, but that won't stop them from sending useless junks and billing me.
I was ill from all the stress that I got from Columbia House, and my boyfriend helped me to get rid of them.

Here's how I did it:

1) Go to www.BBB.org (Better Business Bureau), and look for a button that says "File a Complaint"

2) Click "File A Complaint", and they will ask you for your info(address, name.. etc)
Also, they will ask you what they did wrong, and what you would like them to do.
I wrote: Columbia House sent me DVDs that I didn't order for, and demanded money.
I want them to delete ANY information about me, and stop sending me items with bills

3) Send the complaint, and wait for BBB to respond. It took around 2~3 weeks for them to reply, and most likely, BBB will be on your side.
Keep everything that BBB and Columbia House sends to you.

After waiting weeks, BBB responded that Columbia House will refund all my money (4 DVDs for 99 cents) and cancel my membership if I return all DVDs to them.
I returned the DVDs (See below that says WARNING), but they refused close our issues. THEY WERE KEEP BILLING ME EVEN THOUGH BBB TOLD THEM NOT TO.
I filed Complaint again on BBB, and said that Columbia House is not keeping the promise that we agreed on.
I also told them that I will sue Columbia House if they don't commit to the first agreement that we made.
I just received an apology letter from BBB (nice people <3) saying that they are partially responsible for our issues and Columbia House will stick to the first Agreement that we made.
Still not sure if Columbia House will be billing me in the future, but if they do, I am sueing them for $500k for Harrassment. They made me ill and lose so much time.

************WARNING: when you send the DVD back to them, ask the postal office person to add Tracking number and "Signature required".
I sent back the DVD, however Columbia House were denying that they received it.
Luckily, I knew this would happen, because they were such a dishonest people.
I sent them proofs (the tracking number and signature received by the person who picked up the item) that it went to their company,
but they were still denying.
If this happens to you, call your postal office (I called Canada Post since I am canadian).
Ask the postal office operator for a file that contains the route that package took (they'll fax you or email you)
Also, ask them if they could investigate the issue.
Later after investigation, we found out that Columbia House has received my package LONG time ago, and we even found out which company driver picked up the package.

GOOD LUCK GUYS! and spread this post to everyone.
Lets put an end to their scam!
 1st of Dec, 2010 by   Cam Wyatt -1 Votes
TheLoveFist II, my aren't you the angry little troll. You joined Aug. 27, 2010, just over 3 months ago and have posted 455 comments or complaints!?! Can you say, "I have no life" ? Sure, I knew you could. Now, go get some professional help and leave decent people alone. And here I thought Canadians were nice people.
 16th of Mar, 2013 by   hahnkn 0 Votes
3/16/2013 I got a call from a collector telling me that I owe Columbia house 236.00 from 2007 . I have never had an account with them but the collectors had my name and old address . I told them I had never had an account with them and all they did was argue with me saying that I had multiple letters sent to me and phone calls but today was the first time I had heard anything about this . So whether some one used my info or Columbia house is fruading people I don't know .
 27th of Apr, 2013 by   Vanfam 0 Votes
I received a call from ATG Credit telling me we owed them $21.77 for an order from Columbia House back in 2005. My husband has never had an account with them. I called the creditors back and spoke with a very rude girl. I told her he has never had an account, there is no money due and if there is, show me proof. She could not, nor could she provide me with any information at all! I asked for a customer service number for Columbia House so I could contact them directly and she informed me they did not have that information. I told her this was a joke and a total waste of time because it was a scam and that is where that conversation ended. My husband called later and guess who? Same rude girl that I had spoken with hours prior. He asked to speak with a supervisor or manager. She denied his request saying that would only waste more time and he/she would not be able to do anymore that she was. He told her he was not paying anything because he had never had an account, nor had he ever purchased/received anything from them. She proceeded to tell him if he did not pay it, it would go on his credit report. She followed up by telling him she could discount the price to get him to pay it then, over the phone. He denied that and laughed saying no - I am not paying for something that I did not order/receive!!! She basically told him if he refused and did not pay the bill in full within one month, it would be showing up on his credit report. Today we received a notice from them in the mail. When he tried to contact Columbia House directly, he was unable to get through to anything. Every number he tried asked for an account number, which obviously we do not have. I have been researching this and found a couple numbers to try from others having the same complaints so I will try them next. Thank you to the other victims of this scam for providing extra information to help the rest of us get crap like this resolved!!

Save Money by Planning the Several Meals with One Ingredient