Citifinancial Auto

Citifinancial Auto breaks the law with Reposessions

4.4
Citifinancial Auto
Bossier City, Louisiana
After losing my job, and then my husband walking out on me, things got a little behind. I continued to look for work, but nothing permanent came up except for temp jobs here and there.

I don't dispute that the car note was behind (588/mo), but I am upset about Citifinancial not adhering to things that they've told me they would/could do to help me.

Yesterday I was in the shower when I heard a loud banging somewhere in the house. I live in a duplex and figured it was someone for the people upstairs, and I continued to shower.

My bathroom is directly across from a short hallway leading to another small room at the back of my house, where there is a back door. I had come in from taking out trash (which turned into a messy situation) and jumped right into the shower, not taking any heed to the door that was left unlocked, or ajar.

Imagine my surprise when I suddenly hear a man's voice in the back room! I jerked open the curtain and he apologized, and turned around (I don't know if he went back outside but I continued to hear knocking). I got out of the shower, scared out of my mind, and put on my robe and went to the door.

It was Citi's repo guy. He'd been advised to come get the car because, according to the information that was faxed to him, "she has no job and no prospects, and is not looking for work, and cannot afford the car that she has). Sidenote: 588/month for a mazda is a bit steep; i found out later that at the time I purchased the vehicle, the dealership "padded" my income.

Anyway. Not a week earlier I'd spoken to the lady that I"ve been keeping up with since my husband walked out on me, and she told me that there was no repossession on my vehicle, bla bla bla...but this guy, who wore a badge on his hip (but was NOT a sheriff or marshal) said otherwise.

I called Citi and asked what I was supposed to owe.

The rude ***** that I got ahold of this time asked me, "so what is it that happened to make you get behind like this?" I asked, politely, if she had notes on my account, I didn't want to get back into it. She told me "if you aren't going to answer my question, I'm not going to help you." I told her that it wasn't that I didn't want to tell her, but some of it was rather painful and I didn't want to rehash it all again when I'd been in contact with the previous lady.

She told me, "well, SHE'S not going to give your car back to you, I am, and I don't like your attitude."
So I went back into the story of my husband leaving me and losing my job, etc etc.

They tell me an amount approximately 1000.00 higher than what I was advised when I spoke to the lady I'd been talking to, PLUS I'd have to pay 500.00 in repo fees.

My mind was swimming, but all I could think of was getting them the money. You need a car to get a job, and I don't live on a public transportation line.

This "woman" goes on to ask me, "well, if you don't have a job, how are you going to pay for this car?
Even if you paid it all right now, I wouldn't give your car back without you having a job."

I didn't know what to say because I didn't think it was any of her business how I got the money. I could be hooking on the corner (WHICH I AM NOT), but as long as they get their money, who cares?

I told her I was with several temp agencies and had a temp job lined up next week, and she laughed under her breath. Then she told me that she didn't care, I needed to prove to them I had stable employment, and I would need to fax Citi something showing, on company letterhead, that I had a job.

I called a lawyer after I calmed down from being violated and, I feared, robbed (who walks into a woman's house and stands there while she's naked?? COME ON), and they told me that there was nothing legal in how the repossession was handled.

Normally, I would have signed NOTHING, but I was so addled after what happened, I wasn't thinking clearly. The lawyer told me that that's what the guy was trying to do.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal to deny someone their vehicle for not having a job, even if they pay ALL the past due, repo fees, etc ?

lyn
Complaint comments Comments (59) Complaint country United States Complaint category Auto Insurance & Loan

Comments

15th of Dec, 2007 by    +1 Votes
Yes, technically they can consider you to be in default if you have no job and no prospects. It all depends on what language is in the contract you signed. Take a look at this sample document that's on CitiFinancial's site:

Read the paragraph at the bottom of the page, titled DEFAULT, and note condition 4:

"(4) the prospect of payment, performance or realization of collateral is significantly impared"

Also, see condition 1. Miss a payment, you're in default--it's that simple. Now, I know that bad things happen to people, and I think lenders should be a lot more flexible and understanding in working out payment arrangements. But if you lost your job and can't afford a $588 monthly payment anymore, you should have considered selling the car and buying something more affordable.
 11th of Jun, 2008 by    +1 Votes
You have to be able to demonstate the ability to repay the loan. A lender wouldn't loan you money if you weren't employed and by reinstating the loan by redeeming they would require you to demonstate you could continue in the loan with timely payments.
 30th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Citifinancial Retail Serviceces - 0% intres scam
Charlestown
Indiana

I purchased furnirure from Ashley furniture store on 8/21/07with 0% intrest for 12 months. With $973 to be paid before 8/21/08. I admit I am a procrastinator but on 8/21/08 Iwent into the financial office to pay this balance . the gentleman informed me that i would have to pay this over the phone. ok . so i go out to my car call the company from my cell phone and make a payment over the phone, all is good. until one week later when the check has still not come through my account, so i call them back, explained all of this and they inform me that the check did not go through because it was a check from a credit card co. yes it was but i pay most of my bills that way especially any large payments, in order to earn points on it. At this point i have now accumulated $236 worth of intrest. and the only thing the people at CITIFINANCIAL can tell me is to contact thier legal department, in writing of course because the dont speak with customers over the phone. I will never do buisness with them again .
 1st of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Someone very close to me in the state of Georgia has had a similar experience with Citifinancial. They are scumm bags ! She was late on her payments and they made arrangements with her to pay almost half of the monthly payment per month. However, into about the third month of the agreement they reposessed the car on the same date that the payment was to be made even though they accept payments over the phone. Needless to say when she found her car missing she did not make a payment that day. However, when she called they told her she needed to pay the $500.00 reposession fee as well as over $1000.00. That is not legal in my opinion since the car should not have been reposessed in the first place since they had an agreement. Also I believe that in the state of Georgia a ten day warning notice is to be sent prior to the repossession of a car. Of course Citfinancial would not bogg themselves down with such tedious activities as warning notices.
 5th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I just had my car repo'd by citifinancial. I was behind on payments, but have 3 yearss of payments into the car. The people who work for citifinancial have called me during the day when I'm at work. When I tell them I am in the middle of teaching a class, they insist I not hang up until I tell them how I'm going to pay for the car. The times this has happened I've had to beg to let me call them after I get off of work. Then when I do get off work, I can't get through. The line is either a busy signal when I call, or I get transfered and then disconnected. After my car was unexpectedly towed form the school where I teach, It took me four hours of constant calling to finally get ahold of a human voice! Then, only to hear the person on the other line tell me that the car is now handled by their collections dept. and there was nothing they could do. I told them I could pay the money due, and they simply said "sorry, you have to call collections!" The supervisor in collections told me that I would have to pay $19, 000 to get my car back. It isn't even worth that much! Anyone have any advise? I have until Feb 14 to pay off the car or they keep it. Can they really do this, even after I offered to pay the money due to them? Somebody please give me some direction! I'm a single mom with three kids - one in college. If you'd like, you can call me: 850-974-0740. I really need some good advise!
 21st of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes

CitiFinancial - Beware!
CitiFinancial

I hade been dealing with CitiFinancial for over 1 yr. before my interest rate jumped from 7% to 8%, 9%10.15%. I had started calling them 1 yr before the market plumed and they sent me to a foreclosure seminar I attended they asked for all my info I e-mail, faxed, mailed out all necessary documents asap.

I continuously called them for 9-10months left messages on the gentleman that was in charge of my loan modification. HE NEVER RETURNED MY PHONE CALLS...after continuously calling the customer service department complaining they re-assigned my loan to a new agent she after several phone calls returns my call 11 months later now. She says that she needs more info I faxed it to her... then she said I was approved my payment before my adjusted rate was $1409.86

Jumped with the new loan modification to $1910.86 what a joke that loan mod... I did not agree then she lowered to $1810.50 told her if that was adding taxes and insurance she said not sure let me check. I will get back to you as soon as possible and lowered my down payment from $3600 to $2500 but I was not happy with the monthly amount three days later I received a notice on my door that I was foreclosed and I need to leave in 3 days!

That's where my health issues started with my current blood pressure, marital problems and losing my home I have lived in for 8yrs. CitiFinancial is the biggest f... Joke their is they do not help the consumers but before that I had a great payment history. They only do what is in their favour.

I am still living in the home and have hired an attorney please contact me if anyone had the similar situation and if you have an attorney. I will take them as far as I need to. How the government allows them to get away with this I am unsure?
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes

CitiFinancial - Avoid!
CitiFinancial

Citi flex line of credit is using a tactics to collect extra money from their customer. Their style??? sending billing statement late or not sending it at all so that customer will either pay 15.00 dollar over the phone or pay 29.00 dollars late fee I hope that they will face a mass lawsuit for doing this practices. The only option you have to pay them is either over phone or mail your check how come they don't have an option to let customer pay on the internet wow!!! A big company that doesn't give you to pay on the internet nice one!!
 25th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have attempted to call to negotiate a plan to protect my credit and avoid foreclosure. CitiFinancial is not in first position on the loan. I had obtain a buyer for a short sale and needed to negotiate a price that could satisfy the lender, I was unable to reach anyone to come to terms, to negotiate with the potential buyer and the deal was abandon.

I am asking CitiFinancial to product the note that was originally signed. I am looking forward to your cooperation. Thank you.
 9th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I opened an account January 9, 2008, for a 12-month, no interest fee. I called the beginning of January (Jan. 7 ) and talked to a customer representative and paid my balance in full. I was told I had NO interest on the account. On Feb. 27, I was called and told that I had a balance of $47, which quickly escalated to $247. After an hour on the phone, I was told I had been given a forgiveness on the account, that my balance was $0, and that my account would be closed at my request. On March 9, I was called again and told my balance was $47, which then escalated to $267. Both the customer representative and account manager (Yvette) told me that I had been told incorrectly by the previous 2 customer representatives and account mananger and that I must pay the remaining balance. When I explained that I had been told that I had a zero balance, the account manager then preceded to tell me that I was "having a dispute with myself." The account manager preceded to tell me I could call and talk to someone in the Dispute Department but would only give me a fax number. When I asked for a phone number to talk to a HUMAN of all things, I was told that they dont have a number and dont talk to customers. THIS BILL WAS PAID IN FULL BUT SUPPOSEDLY 2 CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVES AND 1 ACCOUNT MANAGER HAVE TOLD ME INCORRECTLY AND IT'S MY FAULT. WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH COMPANY AGAIN. No wonder they are having financial troubles. Who would want to do business with them.
 12th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
i have a loan through citi and i will say they are hands down the worst company i have ever had to deal with, rude people and none of them have brains.i tell people EVERYDAY to stay away from them .i really hope all the workers at citit lose their jobs, and the company close's very soon.and then banks will start hiring people that really care about PEOPLE!!! i almost forgot STAY AWAY FROM citi THEY ARE EVIL !!!
 16th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Now they are raising interest rates in the amount of 18-24%. The way the economy is now they are really taking advantage of the consumer. If anyone hears of any lawsuits please reply, I will be one of the first on the list.
 21st of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have a car loan through citifinancial at this time and I too am behind on payments but it is because of them. They let me defer my payments for 3 months and during the 3 months I faxed them all kinds of paper work that they asked for in order to get my $567 payment on my Nissan lowered. When it came time to make a payment the amount was $733, I called them and had multiple complications getting through to them, I told them I can't do $733 they said it would just be temporary and I told them I can't do it, they said well if you don't we will just make arrangements to come get the car, I told them fine, you want me to bring it to you? Then they said well your account manager isn't in, I will have him call you tomorrow and you two can work out the details. Well he never called and I never could get a hold of him, then 3 days later my aunt called me and told me citifinancial auto did an automatic draft from her bank account in the amount of $733 and the bank let it go through. Now since then they won't send the money back and my aunt's bank is having to start proceedings against them and now I am a month behind on payments. They said that I had that bank account on my car account and that is not true, I used her bank account one time to make a check by phone payment and she was right there and they talked to her and she okayed it. These people are scumbags. Anyone who has replied to you in a negative manner has evidently never dealt with these idiots. I will never, never again use citifinancial auto for anything. I am preparing to file bankruptcy as we speak because there is no telling what kind of charges they will put on me after they repossess it.
 12th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

Citifinancial Retail Service - Finance Cahrge
Citifinanciaol/Wickes
Illinois

I am fed up with Citifinancial. I had paid what I thought was the balance of a promotion, when I realized I owed $71.00 more I called the company and was toold to submit the remainder of the payment. The payment was recieved a day later. I was charged the enite finance fee. I wrote better business, to report the comapny. The comapny response was they hasd no record of the call and becuase the payment was recieved after the due date, the finance charges stands. I have paid off the past promotional charges when they were due. But Citifinancial is charging me the enitre finance fee which was a little over $800.00. NOt onoly that they raised my interest rate and now is charging me interest on the interest rate----a seperate charge. I can't wait to pay this off. This company needs to be closed down.
 17th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
I too have had an awful time with citifinacial. They have called me for months now. I havne't had a job in over a year and I explained all of that to them. I told them to come get my car, I offered to bring it to them... however they keep telling me that they don't repo cars they just send my info to the legal dept. I just got off the phone with one of them... I couldn't understand her name... and she got real nasty with me. I told her if they dont want my car fine I'll sell it to the junk yard I really don't care anymore. But there is NO WAY that I can afford my payments. I have 3 kids and no job... I am barely making it now... the car is my last worry. Bring on the legal dept... because I don't give a $h**!!!
 12th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
My husband purchased a used car in 2003. With a bankruptcy in our past, the only financing we were able to get was through citifinacial at an intrest rate of 19.99%. When we agreed it was explained to us that if we paid on time for a year we could get the loan refinanced at a lower rate since we whould have established credit with them. At the time that made perfect sense to me. After one year I contacted Citifinancial and was told they do not refinance loans. We continued to pay our payment on time each month for the next 6 years. We are now within two months of paying it off. My husband lost his job in 2006. Even though we were struggling financially we continued to pay every payment on time. My husband started working at a job in 2008 that paid less than half of what he was making before. We still continued to get those payments in on time. Last December he was laid off and didn't go back to work until April of this year. In March I could see that our payment was going to be late. For the first time in 6 years I was not going to make it on time. I called Citifinancial and spoke with a representative. She was very friendly and listened to my story. I told her when the payment would be made, I told her why it was going to be late, and I explained that we were going to do everything we could to bring it back current and pay it off on time. She assured me that she would make the notation on the account and that it would be no problem as long as we showed the effort to continue to pay the loan. When I got off the phone I felt like I did the right thing, and I felt I was treated with respect. The next month I was again going to be late with the payment. One day after the payment was due the phone began to ring. I answered the first time and the representative would not speak to me because the loan is in my husbands name. I told him that I had spoken with someone on this account before with no problem. I do understand that they have the policy of not speaking to someone that is not authorized on the account. I tried to tell him that the payment would be late, but it would be paid soon. He was rude, he was in my opinion very disrespectful to me. It seems odd to me that I had no problem talking to someone when the account was current, but after it became late they would not speak to me. After that day our phone has rung every hour from 8am until 10pm 7 days a week. I have answered it a few times and tried to explain that my husband does not talk on the phone. I called customer service again today and was told that they would not discuss anything with me. I spoke with a supervisor that insisted that my husband would have to call them. I again tried to tell them that my husband does not talk on a phone. All I was trying to do was to tell them when the payment would be there. Which by the way is only one payment that is two weeks late, and was on the way to them now. I wanted them to stop the phone calls. We have only two more payments on this 6 year loan. We have been a good customer for 6 years and have paid more than three times what the car was worth. Enough is enough. I will never deal with Citifinacial again and I hope to stop others from doing so also. I know that our Sears account also goes through Citibank. We have never defaulted on that account, but I will be closing that account. I will not continue to do business with a company that has no respect for a good customer.
I know in these hard economic times that people will be struggling to get by. I hope if anyone sees this post that has a loan or a credit card through Citibank that they will transfer those accounts to another bank before they get behind. Citibank is the worst bank I've ever delt with. I will not deal with this company again.
 20th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
MY HUSBAND GOT ME A TRUCK FOR MY BIRTHDAY 3 YEARS AGO BACK IN JANUARY HE HURT IS FOOT AND HAD TO HAVE SURGERY DONE ON IT SO WE GOT 2 MOUTH BEHIND ONTHE PAYMENTS TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT BECAUSE MY HUSBAND WAS OUT OF WORK BECAUSE OF HIS FOOT AND WOULD NOT GO BACK TO WORK TILL JUNE 1 THEY SAID THAT IF I WOULD COME UP WITH ONE PAYMENT THEY WOULD LOWER MY PAYMENT SO I DID THAT BUT THEY DIDNT DO WHAT THEY SAID THEY WOULD DO AND BACK IN MARCH I MADE A PAYMENT AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD DO A AMENDMENT AND CUT MY PAYMENT IN HALF BUT AFTER RECIVEING PAYMENT WE DID NOT QUILFY FOR IT .BUT THEY SAID THEY WOULD DO AGAIN IF WE MADE PAYMENT AT THE MOMONT THEY ARE DEMANDING FULL PAYMENT AFTER I OFFERED THEM A HALF PAYMENT. NOW I HAVE ON CHOICE .BECAUSE OF FINANCIAL PROBLEMS .TO LET THEM REPO IT AFTER HARASSING MYAND HUSBANDS FAMILY AND ALONG WITH CONTRACTS THAT DIFFER IN PERCENTAGE RATE IN WHICH WE FAXED ARE COPY TO THEM AND THEY REFUSED TO SEND US THERE COPY NOT ONCE BUT 3 TIMES AND OUT OF MANY HAND FULLS OF THERE REPS.ONLY ONE TRIED TO WORK WITH US BUT WAS SHOT DOWN BY A SUPERVISER
 26th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Has anyone contacted their Attorney General??? I am trying to fight them as well, there verbal and written communication on payments are never the same. My car was take in October (3 years into making basically perfect payments). They will call you over and over, but don't have records of you calling. I left messages in which they state they do not have voicemail, I have phone records but they state they never talked to me. So, I was talking to someone each time. They give you the run around and no one has the same information. Now they are threatening to send me to collections on a letter they even admit they just sent out and that's why I haven't received it, they sold my car and supposely now own them $10, 000 which with that amount I think they back dated the loan and gave my car away for free. This company is ridiculous and I find thousands and thousands of complaints, but I think people should start writing their Attorney General as well as posting them to various websites.
 15th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Citifinancial Retails Services - Rate increase
Dallas
Georgia
Phone: 810-744-1284

In November 2008, citifinancial increased my APR without sending me a notice. A month later i received a notice for a new increase of my APR with the option to closed my account and pay the balance at my current rate. I had until January 30th 2009 to contact them. On January. On January 4th i contacted customer to let them know that i wanted to close my account and paid off my balance at my current rate. I was informed by customer service that the account has been closed since November 2008 without reason, and my APR have been increased twice during the same period. I was never late on my payment, so, i informed the agent that no payment will in this account starting January 16 2009 until the APR is adjusted. They ignored my warning and kept my APR the same. As a result i stopped making payment, and Citibank rushed to report that on my credit file. I dont think that was a good incentive for me to make payment. As long this record remain on record, and the APR to the roof, they will not make anymore pennie out my wallet.
 16th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I purchase a Jeep through Citifinancial Auto 2 years ago. The initial payment of $733 was steep and we immediately got an amendment to lower it. Fine. Last year my wife lost her job and half our income. I asked this company to help us get another amendment to lower it a little more. What should they care; it's our only car; we are going to be paying it until it's finished anyway. I was told that I needed to make 3 consecutive payments then they would lower it for 6 months. Great! My insurance agent somehow let my insurance lapse and Citi was quick to send a piece of paper stating they had added their insurance to the monthly payment because of this. Huh? So now I have to pay the car payment, my insurance, and their insurance. A fight with my insurance people resulted in me leaving them. My wife is still looking for a job to supplement my income to manage the bills. Citi called and demanded payment at my job! The car is 3 months late, but I agreed to pay them $545 at the end of this month. Nope not good enough, they demanded 781.00 plus the $14.00 check over the phone fee. In the beginning did I not say my wife had lost her job??? These people don't give a crap about their customers and they make promises over the phone that aren't true. It's just talk. When this is over, whether by repo or refinancing, I'm NEVER GOING TO BUY A CAR THROUGH CITIFINANCIAL AGAIN!!!
 17th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I called them last month before my payment was due and asked for an amendment because my income was reduced due to the economy. No problem, did the faxes twice, did the over the phone evaluation and was told I qualified. Well, its a month later now and after being given the run around I'm now told they do not do the amendments if your late. Well, I wouldn't have been late had they not kept telling me to call back, fax the paper work again. My interest is 14.9 and I was also told I could reduce it after a few months of on the time payments. When the time came to take them up on their offer, I was told they don't refinance on their customers loans. Seriously, this is ridiculous! I'm not asking to get out of paying for the car, I'm just asking for a reasonable interest rate. I mean after all, didn't we Americans just foot the bill for bailing them out? Don't we deserve a break in our interest rates in return! Yes, I do believe we do!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree