logo

BackgammonMasters
Hackers/Security
5. (47 mins ago)
Weiss Comestic & Laser Procedures Blepharoplasty
Terrible/Horrible Asymmetry eyelids surgery (blepharoplasty)

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Champion Windows Complaints & Reviews - Junk windows sloppy installation

Champion Windows Contacts & Informations

Champion Windows

Posted:    Anthony Goble

Junk windows sloppy installation

I ordered Champion Windows Nov. 06 finally installed Feb. 07 with many problems. It's June 07 and still need a window replaced that doesn't fit right. It has been months for the replacement. They do not check for rotting wood under sills. They are a complete joke. If you want JUNK buy these windows. Take it from me, Andersen Renewel are the only way to go. The manager won't call me back.

People beware!!!
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Aug, 2007 by   Anthony Goble +1 Votes
Champion did a great job with getting back to me. They refunded all of my money immediately without issue. It was great Customer Service they provided. Thanks to Dustin and John for your quick response. So sorry, I didn't post earlier. I forgot I had posted this on comaplaintsboard.com. THANKS again for a quick resolution!
 19th of Sep, 2007 by   Daniel R Stepnick -2 Votes
Never in my life have I got as much of a run around and BS as I have from your dealer in Pittsburgh. I called them in the second week of July, Lady told me they are out, took my phone number. No one called back, three days later called again, and was told thatone of the people that I need to talk to was off for a Death in the family or some thing. When my porch was enclosed, shortly after one of the vertical blind sets would no work properly. A man came out, and fixed it, something bent in the sliding mechanism. Afew weeks later the blinds would not close right, and again they said they were fixed. We don't close them all the way for privacy, but they started to act up again, and I seen a thin piece of metal bent. After several weeks I talked to a man, and told him the problem, I told him I needed a new rail and six blinds that were warped. I told him I would pick them up, asked the cost, was told $52.00. Now at this time it is six weeks later. Got a call from them when I was on vacation. Called them and was told they were in. I asked them were the blinds in also. Dan called back today, and said it will cost I believe $102.00. This is what he told my wife, I got on the phone and told him I would pick them up, but at the price I was quoted. Told me something about the rail has to be order as it is the old style. I asked him what is it going to cost, he gave a price of over $100.00. I told him to forget it. Champion got three jobs with my good word, and a lot of people can see my enclosed porch, as I live on a corner lot, and it is seen by a lot of people and I always say good things about it, but after them playing games for over two months with me and BS, you will never hear a good word about Champion again. I don't think one hand knows what the other is doing here in Pittsburgh. I know the porch has been enclosed a long time, but I was willing to pay and put them up my self, not get a run around, lied to and BS.
 8th of Oct, 2007 by   Spanky Dude +2 Votes
Not sure which Champion Window company you are talking about , there are 3 that I can see. Check them out! - championwindow.com - championwindows.com - and championwidows.net . I believe championwindow.com is the best one of the three companies.
 6th of Dec, 2007 by   cmoore -2 Votes
i have had nothing but bad luck with champion windows. Pure JUNK!!!! There installers are the most unskilled uneducated i have ever seen. I wasted 9000.00 of my money on windows that just plain suck. The installers left a mess in the yard, broke existing siding and refused to replace it (said they didnt do it) They didnt trime the windows outside they way the salesman promised. The sales man was so pushy i cantg believe i fell for it. They just screwed windows into rotted wood, they didnt even offer to replace they rot for an additional cost which i would have gladly paid for. All the windows build condensation and they are blaming it on the house. i have had 3 engineers look a the house and all 3 say they windows are leeking. Staff is rude, install manager is rude and the owner is rude. STAY AWAY FROM CHAMPION WINDOWS IN COVENTRY RI.
 21st of Jan, 2008 by   Dorothy Kloos -1 Votes
Just the facts, Ma'am...

We had windows installed July 2007. The job finally got finished in November 2007. Champion didn't even try to put a sign in our yard. I told them I'd yank it if they did. The last installer (we had different ones through time) "finished" the job. I bulked at signing the completion agreement and he got rather belligerent. Oh, how I wish I had not signed it.

This is January 2008. We are still waiting for a replacement for a cracked window and the frosted windows we ordered for the bathroom (they installed clear). Now I see condensations forming on the inside corners of most of the windows, especially the cracked window. It is 10 F. outside.

THE CHAMPION WARRANTY states that condensation forms inside due to excessive moisture in the house, not due to failure of the window. The Sears vinyl windows do not have condensation on them. The Sears are in the same rooms, but different sun exposure as the Champion windows. "This Old House" states condensation is due to air leakage.

ALSO. What sold me on the windows is how they keep the heat out. They do that. But the cold is a different thing. I can feel the cold radiating off the Champion windows sitting near them. That is why they use the heat lamp display to sell the product.
In conclusion:

I would not recommend Champion. Poor service, and the Warranty covers the company for a crappy product.
 27th of Jan, 2008 by   jodi thayer -1 Votes
We ordered champion windows in Sept.2007 it is now Jan. 26th 2008. We were promised completion within 6 to 9 weeks its 4 months the job is still not done properly. Service and communication is absolutly the worst I've ever seen in a company!!!!They came out to complete the job and the man had no tools!!! We have lost several days of work and the the sales man told us it would take one day. Customer service does not exist with Champion windows the customer is always wrong. This goes from the installation manager to the sales person to the president of the district in Kent Ohio. If you want your windows you have to continually call them because no one ever returns a call. We were not used to begging for a product we order. Very unhappy and will not recommend these windows.
 2nd of Feb, 2008 by   Kristine Ganes 0 Votes
Do not rec. this company at all!!!! Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy...wish I had listened to all of the complaints lodged against them before I entered into contract.
 3rd of Feb, 2008 by   alan leslie -1 Votes
The contract I had with Champion specifically stated "replace all rotten wood" instead they covered it up with metal trim. When I approached them they initially said they would pay me to have the rotten wood replaced. However, when I asked for the money here is how the president Michael Duncan replied:

"There is no way that you can place the blame for your rotten house on Champion. What I witnessed at your home was a rotten house that had not been up kept for years. What I offered to you was my help in replacing the windows. I demonstrated that the installer went by protocol. I have no idea how you could say that I offered to give you money, I did no such thing and proved that champion did the correct thing. You need to take responsibility for this matter; please do not try to involve Champion."

I have the eamil if anyone wants to see it. All he was interested in was selling me more windows! I had the rotten wood replaced by another company.
 11th of Apr, 2008 by   dagricola -1 Votes
Wish I had never used Champion Windows-Cincinnati Ohio.
Employees who came to install arrived late EVERY SINGLE TIME, garbage, including, pizza boxes, pop cans etc. were left in my yard, gardens and cigarrette butts all over the driveway. My husband was asked to help carry up some of the new windows. Newly remodeled bathroom was damaged by the intallation of a new window. Costumer service was non-existent. Total price 10, 000 dollars. Buyer beware!!!
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by   christy +1 Votes
everyone has good and bad things to say about champion! I love them & they are always there to help!
 23rd of Apr, 2008 by   Joe Thomas 0 Votes
Watch out for Champion, not worth the money, they are equal to a $300 window. They have a sale every month that is 40% off and an early bird special of another 10% off on top of that, give me a break! I can't believe people fall for that. You can get this price any time you want by just saying no to their first offer. They even have inflated price lists that the reps use so they can give you even more discounts. Their service department can't keep up with all the service calls because of the amount of problems they have with the windows. The Comfort 365 glass is no better than anybody that offers Low-e glass. Even Window World has better glass. They also say they make their siding, but it is made by Crane and is much higher than any other Crane distributor. I recommend to stay away.
 12th of May, 2008 by   Keith Wright 0 Votes
I had champion out Jan30, 2008. It is now May 12, 2008 still work has not been done, started, or completed. The manager never even came out to do a final measure for my house and when i called them down on this, they said they could start on my house in 2 days. I said how, you havent even done a final measurement. This all took place at the Fort Worth office, when i asked him about how it says on the contract work will be finished with in 4-6 weeks from the contract date he said well if you will also read it says we are not responsible for weather conditions. I said so you are saying we have had 4 months of bad weather?? Total run around from this company and iam planning to sue to get my deposit back.
 20th of Jun, 2008 by   MARSHALL -1 Votes
FIRST THE SALESMAN PROMISED WE WOULD NEVER RECEIVE SOLICIATIONS FROM CHAMPION. HE LIED AND NOW I CANNOT GET ANYONE'S ATTETION TO REMOVE IT FROM THEIR LIST(S). THEY DID SHODDY WORK, SCRATCHED MY DECK, AND CHIPPED MY STUCCO. I'LL NEVER GIVE THEM MY BUSINESS AGAIN.
 1st of Jul, 2008 by   kenney beard -1 Votes
I myself have just had all my windows and 1 of my sliding glass doors installed.The subcontractor that came out had only 1 experienced installer. After showing the other 2 how to put 1 window in.He turned them loose.The few the experienced installer did were great. But all the other 2 installed, had places where the trim did not match up nor did they know how to calk nor seal very well. After spending such money with a company of this size an age.I feel I
WAS BAITED AN SWICHED. NOT AGAIN Aan anyone who will listen I WILL TELL AN SHOW THEM THE SHODDY WORK. NEVER EVER LET INEXPERIANCED INSTALLERS TOUCH YOU DWELLING.
 16th of Sep, 2008 by   Casey 0 Votes
Comment by JoeThomas is dead on.

Unfortunately sold for this company for a brief period. Always running a large percent off every month along with an end of the month sale which always advertises a discount for the sale that you can get everyday. The intention is obviously to make a dramatic effect and get people into the showroom for a hard sale. They can put the list price at whatever they want if they are going to discount dramatically for effect. They can list them for 10, 000 a window if they are going to offer an all great one day sale of 95% off. Complete Crap. If you want to stump one of the sales people ask them for a price list not only to show you one but leave you one. And don't be confused, they offer some type of bogus discount on everything they do and sale. Not a bad product but the same as most others with low E 2 glass but cost twice as much. The company is the problem. Sales people are trained to be deceptive when presenting price. The higher the oversale the greater the commission for the rep. to the tune of 30% over what is considered par which is basically half of the list price on windows. when you look at 20-30 thousand dollar sunrooms it is not hard at all to be over a couple of thousand dollars. Which would mean in addition to the 5% commision paid on the job the rep also gets another $600. That brings the commision to around $2100 for a 30K jobs which the rep. is over $2000. That is the allure for the reps and that is why they are pushy and hard closing. The sales reps are taught that basically 50% is what you can go down on most products, 25% on others, during slow times even lower. Also don't be fooled all divisions of this company are under the same roof and practice the same desceptive business tactics.

Stay Away from this bunch. Much better products out there for much less money and no games.
 22nd of Nov, 2008 by   Stephen Mandeville -1 Votes
We bought a home a year ago. We had noticed it had Champion windows and thought that WOW! those are good windows. But unfortunately we found out just the contrary. We found that they are very cloudy.
They also are very drafty in the winter which is not very good with todays heating costs, not to mention
all the condensation we get on the inside of the windows. We realize that the warranty is good only to the original purchaser but I thought that I would put my own two cents worth in. I will replace them with
another reputable brand as soon as I am able.

Sorry,

Thanks for listening; Steve Mandeville
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   rmcs +1 Votes
please note the product you are commenting on carefully- as an earlier poster had mentioned, there are several out there. i am an operation manager for a mid-sized glazing construction firm (in NY), the company listed at the site: http://championwindows.com, is a commercial grade window and is excellent; i highly doubt this is the window you all are refrencing as it is unlikly this would be used residentially- with that said, if you had- this is not typical use for this product and would not be recommended by a professional.

it sounds as if most of you are referring to a vinyl product, which of course, isnt the greatest- but of course, a suitable option for the budget minded ( I have them in my home)- but I will say that the customer service, installation experiences and even responses from the president of the Champion company you are referring to is horrifying! If my firm had run an operation like you all have described, we would be out of business- and very quickly at that. I dont know if the company you are referring to manufacturers their window? or are they strictly a company that installs another manufacturer's window? generally most manufacturer's do not install their product, but rather have distributors and/or firms who are not affiliated that do the installation. I would find out if the name champion referrs to the brand of the window or is just the company installing. if they are just installing, i would contact the manufacturer and make them aware of the people who are representing their product line- manufacturers do not like irreputable companies performing installation of their product. To find out the manufacturer's name, you can try one of the following: a)note window hardware (i.e. locks), often this will brand the manufacturer name, (b) refrence any warranty info given stating details of the mechanical operation of the window (not just labor warranty), (c) refrence your contract - I know in NYS you are required by business law to indicate the names of manufacturers in all contracts, if name isnt present a client is able to go to the department of consumer affairs regarding the issue. Again, I am not sure what the laws are in your state, but on average, there are laws in place for situations like this. If this champion company is the manufacturer *and* the installer, i would contact the American Architectural Manufacturers association http://www.aamanet.org/general.asp?sect=2&id=227, and see if this company is listed with this agency. from that point i would contact the following local/state agencies (which again, may go by different names in your particular juristiction): building inspector, department of consumer affairs and licencing department (if applicable). If this company wishes to stay in business, they are not going to want any trouble with any type of governmental agency and chances are you will be compensated asap. avoid contacting agencies such as the BBB (Better Business Bureau) as they are not affiliated with any governmental agency, but rather are privatly owned/operated and cannot take any other action other than mediate an issue- and only if the company is registered with that BBB.

Hopefully this helps.
 13th of Apr, 2009 by   Paul Martin 0 Votes
i have been TRYING to get Champion Windows to either replace the JUNK that they installed in my home since Nov 2001 and all that I have gotten is lines of BS and the run around. I had them replace 7 old wood windows with the "best" (per Brian Brookhurst) and the "best" windows lek more air then the old single pane ones did.If you were smart you would get in touch with someone who will back up their product and not feed you a line of BS
 8th of Jun, 2009 by   letsfish 0 Votes
I had champion windows installed in my house and i just love them. Everyone from the sales staff to the measure tech, to the installers were very professional. We learned that Champion is the largest home remodeler in the entire nation. Bottom line is that you can't please everyone all of the time. So out of the 70 some stores nation wide and a few complaints on this website, I think that they are doing alright and have a great window along with service. If you are all so unhappy contact the BBB and let them handle it. If you win then i think you have a leg to stand on, if you loose then you are probably the type of person that nothing would ever make you happy. And complain just to complain. I would recondmend Champion Windows to anybody.
 22nd of Aug, 2009 by   Oprah 0 Votes
The only people who go to a complaint site to brag about how great a company, is most likely the salesman or manager of said company. It's pathetic and ridiculous.

The 5 Biggest College Application Mistakes