logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
AT&T
AT&T doesn't care for loyal longtime customers
2. (7 mins ago)
Union Workers Credit Services
Pre-Approved Credit
3. (13 mins ago)
BB&T Bank
They will flat ruin you!
4. (16 mins ago)

century link internet Contacts & Informations

century link internet

Posted:    carl hicks

extremely slow internet service

I was a first time computer buyer and needed an internet service for my new computer. Unfortunately I had no idea about internet service and, living in rural Missouri, only had a few choices. Unfortunately I picked Century Link because they offered the lowest rate. After getting everything hooked up and operating, I subscribed to Netflix which is the most awesome service available on the internet. I tried to stream Netflix to my house but was constantly interrupted and the streaming would stop, then start again in a few minutes or a lot of minutes. I contacted Netflix and they determined the speed of my so-called Century Link High Speed DSL Internet to be about .48 mpps. Netflix advised that they needed to run at 1.5 mpps which is not too much to ask for. After contacting Century Link several times (Their administrative section is typical and imposssible to reach and deal with) they told me there was nothing they could do as my internet would only run at .5 mpps. This is slow-speed internet and it totally unacceptable. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from Century Link at all costs.
Comments United States Internet Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More century link internet complaints
century link internet - False advertising

Comments

1st of Sep, 2010 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our company and would be happy to look into the issue for you. You can email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com and be sure to include your name, account number and reference your complaint on this website. Thanks.

9th of Nov, 2010 by   SRT Rules 0 Votes
Help from century link, yeah right!
I pay for 5 Meg service and I have been getting the right speed for the past 4 years, and for the past 2-3 weeks I get around 2 Meg, tested with www.speedtest.net, I Emailed CS twice, once last week and they avoided to fix the problem by saying do this and that to your PC to make it run better, and I am still waiting for an answer from my last Email I sent 4 days ago.
They're switching to fiber optic in my area (Las Vegas) and since the, regular internet service is slow as hell and CL don't want to work on it, and the only way to switch to Fiber Optic is to get a $150 bundle with TV..., which I won't do since I have DTV.
For now I'm waiting for the fiber optic service to be available as a stand alone deal, then I'll upgrade, until then I'll have to deal with slow internet and zero CS help.
 9th of Nov, 2010 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
SRT Rules,

I would be happy to look into your issue also. Can you email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com? Be sure to include your name, account number and reference your complaint here on ComplaintsBoard.com. Thanks.

19th of Nov, 2010 by   SRT Rules 0 Votes
Joey H took care of my problem, techs came and rewired the lines so that I now have dedicated phone and DSL lines with no filters, and now I get 5Meg, so thanks Joey for taking care of it, and the techs knew their stuff.
 15th of Dec, 2010 by   rfhone 0 Votes
There is an easy way to handle your problem; maybe you can try the software "tuneup360". My friends and I all use it, which can help you fix all the problems you may encounter.
 27th of Jan, 2011 by   Matthew G 0 Votes
and im paying $50 a month for 1.5 mb
 27th of Jan, 2011 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
Matthew G,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you're having with your service. If you email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with your name, account number and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com I'll be happy to look into your issue. Thanks.

12th of Feb, 2011 by   jerzzeegirl 0 Votes
Agree - our netflix and xbox live connection is constantly going down. It knocks us off probably 5 times during a movie. We're paying for 10 MB and according to speed tests it's less than 3. Have called customer service before and they insists it's anything but their service. I have tried shorter phone cords, resetting the router, replacing the router... everything. Frustrated.
 14th of Feb, 2011 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
jerzzeegirl,

I'm also sorry to read about the trouble you're having with your service. If you email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with your name, account number and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com I'll be happy to look into your issue. Thanks.

26th of Mar, 2011 by   abtex 0 Votes
I am in Wise County, TX, and we too have CenturyLink DSL. We are in a rural area, and I understand that our speeds won't be as fast as in some areas. HOWEVER, the last few months, it has slowed to a crawl. We just got a test reading today of 60kb. The service we're paying for is 1.5MB, although we were told in our location we would only get 768kb. Whenever we've called customer service, while they are polite, they always act like they are surprised we're having a problem, and they will check into it. Turns out hundreds of people are having problems with CenturyLink, and that's just the ones that bother to post online. Today I called, and got the same initial reaction - "sorry to hear you're experiencing a problem, we'll check into it. Oh, I see there is an issue with slow speed in your area, but technicians are working on it and should have it resolved shortly". Then, I told her the connection has been slowing down for months, and I've checked online, and know how many other people are having problems with their CenturyLink service. At that point, she admitted there is an ongoing problem, and she receives weekly updates on it. She receives weekly updates, but she's just now seeing there's a problem? Really?

So, we're paying for a level of service we're not getting, problem one, and problem two, CenturyLink pretends not to know there is a problem, when there is a lot of evidence to the contrary - just google CenturyLink slow connection. Unfortunately, they seem to have a monopoly on high speed service at the moment.

At this point, I would recommend those who have other options to take a good look at them before settling for CenturyLink.
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   jmpmusic 0 Votes
My service with CenturyLink is awful as well. I subscribe to 10 Mbps and am lucky if I get 500 kbps. CenturyLink obviously knows what is going on. They should inform their phone techs. I think we might to start a class action suit against them. They are not giving us what we are paying for.
 14th of Apr, 2011 by   CenturyLinkJoey 0 Votes
jmpmusic,

I'm also sorry to read about the trouble you're having with your DSL service. Ill be glad to help if you email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with your name, account number and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

18th of Jun, 2011 by   bigfordman 0 Votes
mine will work fine for a few hours then i goes down to .5kbs i am paying for 10mbs and i just bought a new laptop and my ps3 lags down pick your game up once cableis avail im gone i dont care if you fix it or not n joey no need to write the same thing as you did for the others ive called and called nothing changes i jus want to pay for what im getting
 21st of Jun, 2011 by   hammie9979 0 Votes
I am a hardcore online gamer and I have centurylink and bottom line is they SUCK!!!
 21st of Jun, 2011 by   hammie9979 0 Votes
i am in the military as well and everyone here on base that has them also would agree they SUCK!!!
 1st of Jul, 2011 by   jams5539 0 Votes
I have 10MB speed with CL and have a personal laptop & work desktop PC in my home as well as PS3. My work PC has to be a wired connection so the Cisco Gateway Router is in my small bedroom/office next to my Work PC. So, when I'm on my laptop any where else in my house, the speed/connection is worse than any dialup I've ever had.. What's worse is I brag that I have 10MB nut my mom has basic 1MB (ONE) Comcast Internet Speed & her connection is constant anywhere in her home (which is exact floor plan as my home). And like all the complaints on here, tech support says its MY fault & that I could try moving my router to a more central location in my home, such as my hallway or living room--but this isn't feesible for two reasons-- I MUST have wired connection for my work PC & I do NOT want to move my Gateway Router to my hall-- my home has hardwood floors & I will NOT drill a hole in the floor & run an Ethernet cable down & under house over to my bedroom/office to straight wire to my work PC-- I shouldn't have to do this in a 1000 sq ft single level home!!! SERIOUSLY debating on switching back to Comcast Internet.. This is INSANE!!!
 19th of Jul, 2011 by   bgyjrt 0 Votes
Wellsville, ks. Purchased a home here and ordered century link. Did not work at all for first month, Kept saying working on lines. Then it came to life for 3 weeks and now again its not working right.
I have had many services over the years, mokandial, timerwarnes and AT&T. All worked to some degree but all were stable. Centurylink is unstable. My speeds change dramaticly and sometime the whole
internet goes out. Been trying to get them to fix this for 2 months.

Can I get out of my contract if the fail to provide the service I pay for. I am paying for 10mbps and geting 1.2mbps and sometimes only 512kpbs.

Also the line quality is so bad, even at those speeds nothing works right. Remebmer, speed does not mean stable.

So far, CENTURYLINK SUCKS. WISH I NOT NEVER GOT IT. STAY AWAY. GET TOWER INTERNET OR ANYTHING BUT THESE GUYS. I AM STUCK IN A 2 YEAR CONTRACT AND NOT GETTING SERVICE!
 30th of Jul, 2011 by   SarahNV 0 Votes
I'm having the same slow-down issues here in Vegas. I pay for up to 10 mbps, but for the past month and a half my speeds have been more like 1 mbps! I called customer service and they sent a tech out--he determined there was no problem with any of my equipment and finally had to call someone to adjust something on their end. My speed was back for 30 minutes--but then it went back to slow. Very frustrating!
 5th of Aug, 2011 by   kc.ironman 0 Votes
I'm in Buckner, Mo...just East of Kansas City. I, too, have experienced the Century Link farce. I live in a rural area and was excited to hear that "high speed" internet was finally in my area. It worked great for more than a year. We were able to subscribe to X-box Live and Netflix Streaming. Unfortunately, about two months ago we started experiencing the same problems many of you have. It's funny to read the tech comments that you all have posted...I've heard them all myself. When calling about the lack of speed, each time I had to jump through every hoop...restart the modem, master reset the modem, plug it in to every outlet in the house, run the speed test, run the speed test again. Each time the support person puts me through to "advanced support"...who has no record that I've ever called...so we do it all again. My last call ended with a rude support person telling me ALL my computers and consoles are crap. Nice.
 10th of Aug, 2011 by   Cox Internet is better 0 Votes
I got rid of centurylink a month ago and moved to Cox cable and Internet. Man what a difference. Glad I made the move.

Avoiding Mortgage Scams