logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
buyforsalecheap.com
Shop didn’t work and no order as well
2. (43 mins ago)
Seven shine cleaning services
Groupon vouchers
3. (44 mins ago)
Award Notification Commission
letter stating has won prize
4. (46 mins ago)
Enterprise
paid toll is charged by Enterprise again!
5. (46 mins ago)

BooksaMillion Contacts & Informations

BooksaMillion

Posted:    ciestla

magazines

Bought books at Booksamillion. Then clerk told me I could get three magazine subscriptions free for two months. Presumably this was a reward due to the amount of my purchase. I gave her three magazines from her list. She then handed me the credit card slip to sign. And then another slip to sign for my free magazines. She told me to just sign. I read it. What it was was an authorization to, after the two free months of each magazine, to release my credit card number to Magazine Rewards Center, which would then bill me for continued subscriptions. I was to sign to give them permission to release my credit card number for this. Of course, I refused to sign. They said it was no use, the credit number had already been sent to Magazine Rewards Center. If they had already done this, without getting my signature, why get me to sign? They said I would have to call Magazine Rewards Center to get the charges cancelled, as they had already gone through.
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Aug, 2011 by   KayJ 0 Votes
I totally agree. I shopped at Books A Million, who by the way have PERMANENTLY lost a customer. Anyway when i checked out they lady says for your purchase today you will get 2 free subscriptions to a magazine. Thank God I read my reciept and guess what it said.. Books a million gave my bank account info to this company and I will be billed for a 12 month subscription. Shame on book a million. Tried to call to cancel and can't w/o a subscription # plus they already did hits to my bank acct to check it. I had my bank to a stop pay but i'm not sure what company name they will try to use to make the debit so I just got a new bank card which should stop the drafts all together.
 7th of Dec, 2012 by   Wild Child 0 Votes
Oh, yes, I also found out the hard way about this scam. And I do consider it a scam because when I checked out using my debit card and was given the offer of the free magazines I accepted and was not told at any time that in two months the magazine company would be charging my debit card for the magazines. I just figured that I would eventually get something in the mail asking if I wanted to actually subscribe to the magazines after two months. Alas, I was too naive! I went to bed one night with close to 90 dollars on my debit card(I am very vigilant about keeping up with the balance). Next day I went to make a six dollar purchase and was declined, and when I called I had less than two dollars on the card. This was at a difficult time of the month a day or so before my disability payment came on the card, and there I was with myself and my teen-aged son with no money for food or anything if he had not earned thirty dollars that weekend doing odd jobs. After a mind-boggling afternoon of calling the debit card company and ascertaining what had happened I then had to call the magazine company and cancel, but since the money would not go back on the card for a couple of days I was sitting there broke and desperate. They had taken 95 dollars off without my knowledge. I also called Books a Million in Albany, Georgia, to complain, and to the manager's credit she was very polite and apologetic! But now I am skittish about such offers and have learned my lesson the hard way.
 29th of Jul, 2014 by   ARodriguez 0 Votes
While reviewing my credit card statement, I just realized I was being charged for 3 magazine subscriptions that had gone through Books A Million. I spent over two hours on the phone with my credit card fighting the charges and then canceling the subscription that I never authorized or was aware of. I was promised I will get my money back but I do not care too much about that. What bothers me is the business practices at Books a Million. The solution for me is simple! I will never buy anything from them ever again.

Saving on Holiday Travel