logo

Eli Fine Cars
rip off
2. (41 mins ago)
dresses1000.com
Ignore communication and no delivery
3. (59 mins ago)
bad quality

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Complaints & Reviews - Bait and Switch!

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Contacts & Informations

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida

Posted:    Pam

Bait and Switch!

I got a quote over the phone for health insurance for $185 per month and was told that I had to pay for 2 months in advance- to be charged after I had accepted the policy- even though I had to wait 2 weeks for a physical with their own nurse practitioner. The first thing that happened is that my credit card was charged for that billing period.

I had the exam and waited- 3 more weeks. When I got the bill, it was for $390 per month and it was due in 1.5 weeks. I called and tried to cancel the policy- could not get anywhere with anyone because all that I heard was "I am not the person that you need to talk to." I finally got a responsible person and faxed my paperwork in for the 4th time. FINALLY I got a letter that my cancellation had been accepted and that I would get a check for the refund under separate cover. 3 weeks later and still not check.

Beware!
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Sep, 2007 by   Heather M 0 Votes
BCBS of Fl is the absolute worst company I have EVER had to deal with. I am not only a provider for them, but I also have them as my Health Insurance Company. They have been holding onto money they owe me for months and months, collecting interest on money that is not theirs. They cannot give me a reason as to why they deny the claims I submit. Only after hours and hours of fighting, do they finally send me the checks... I am going through this for the third time, and have now reported them to BBB.

As for actually using them for Health Insurance... that's a laughable matter. Their customer service reps have no idea what they are doing. They are rude, they don't listen, they talked over me constantly, they gave my OBGYN incorrect information which ended up costing me HUNDREDS of dollars in treatment that was not covered... they told me on one occasion that after I met my $250 prescription deductible, that I would "only" have to pay $40 for scripts that were not generic... NOPE... WRONG... I met the deductible and have to pay 40% not $40... so I have started a medication that I really can't stop now... and it's costing me about $100 a month...

They don't follow through, they are a horrible horrible HORRIBLE company!
 6th of Feb, 2008 by   K. Spivey 0 Votes
I agree totally!! I am a medical collector for a major trauma hospital in FL and the accounts I handle are BCBS. They do not process in a timely manner according to the FL Statutes in regards to a clean claim. I have the most problems when it comes to gettting an auto claim paid. They deny it for lack of information (usually the auto EOB) which was sent initially with the claim. Then you have to call and let them know the information is there alreadya nd they locate it and then forward on the "OPL" department which is a JOKE!! They tell you that you now have to wait an additional 30-45 days for reprocessing. When that time period passes, they give you the lamest excuse that the "OPL" department has a backlog of 60-90 days. I DON'T THINK SO!! I have to argue with them that they have violated the 45 days for processing a clean claim by law and threaten to get Kevin Mc Carty (FL Insurance Commissioner) involved. It's crazy. They seriously need to be investigated!!
 19th of Mar, 2008 by   John P 0 Votes
I applied for temp insurance on march 3rd until my employee one, kicks in. I paid $75 for the month, and wanted it started on March 5th. I made numerous calls on march 8 to various 8OO Numbers only to be told I had to be transffered to the correct person. i was sent to web sales, from there health options who had NOTHING to do with my temp insurance application. I was told to expect my cards in 7-10 days.

Its NOW March 19th, the month is more than half over. I placed three calls today and spoke with Doug in orlando office of BCBS of Fla and spoke with Darcy Berry in Jacksonville office. She adamantly assued me yesterday she would personally find out what is wrong, as there is NO record on my application in their system.

She said her supvervisor is working on the problem and will call me back tomorrow, meaning today. No call, so I called her at 2:20 and she said i will call you back in 30 minutes as my supervisor in downstairs with underwriting and trying to fix the problem. Well, you guessed it - NO CALL BACK. Don't even BOTHER with BCBS of Florida - useless stupid people who provide the lowest and POOREST customer service.

I am a customer asking for their help SINCE march 5th and no one has been able to come to my aid. I faxed Doug in orlando, the other BC rep i spoke to, and I am requesting a full refund to my account. They should look up the meaning of customer service in the dictionary or complete more thorough training in customer relations. Pass this blog along - a WASTE of time with BCBS of Florida!!!
 11th of Jun, 2008 by   Sandy 0 Votes
B/C B/S is the pits! They keep telling you they don't have all the info for your claim when you have sent it at least three times. When you call some indifferent clerk tells you processing will take 30-90 days, when you say like hell they respond that they don't have to take your language. Hell, if I paid my premium like they pay their claims I would not have to deal with the incompetents that they employ now would I? The clerk was so rude and obviously in cahoots with her superior as I never got to talk with her and the clerk was quite smug at the end of our conversation. I have been fighting for this since January 2008. When told reference numbers for calls I submitted in Feb and Mar and May 2008 I was told there was no record of it. Asked the girl if she thought I just made this crap up... They refused my claim. A claim for which they paid in 2006. I have lymphedema in my left leg and it is medically necessary for circulation for me to wear a Circ Aid at night or my skin graft breaks down and I am in a big mess then. I guess they would prefer that I lose my leg and they have to pay for a prosthetic limb! GO FIGURE...
 15th of Nov, 2008 by   barbara 0 Votes
Lucky you did not get the policy. Having paid 4 copays in 6 weeks of $750.00, we have been bless with IV home infusion therapy. At 79 the patient is expected to learn to hang his own IV's and keep them flushed and cleaned twice a day. Blue Cross has taken the CARE out of health care. See what you missed out on.
 31st of Mar, 2009 by   james -1 Votes
I was quoted $284 a mo nth for an individual plan. I was approved but my independent agent purposely neglected to tell me that I was rated 75% and my payments would be $500, not $284. My previous agent told me that this is common with Blue Cross. they quote the rare rate only offered to preferred plus customers and rate everyone much higher...after you are qute involved already. I declined the policy and have contacted Blue Cross about the unethical and illegal activities of the agent...we'll see what happens. And yes, it is extremely difficult to contact the proper people at Blue Cross.
 8th of Apr, 2009 by   markdaniel 0 Votes
bcbsfl is the worst! I am a male under 30 and have had bcbs about a year ago. I submit application and it's now on the 58th day and still not approved by underwriting in Jacksonville. They are pathetic - they tell me I can't talk to underwriting and they have up to 60 days. This is the third world country if you haven't figured it out by now! We should be asking Canada to send pennies a day to help an American get health insurance!
 21st of Apr, 2009 by   m higgins 0 Votes
I am disgusted with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida. I had surgery to remove two tumors in August 2008. I went to the hospital and filled out all of the information given to me. The hospital pre-authorized the surgery with Blue Cross Blue Shield. After having surgery, the hospital sent me a bill for over $2, 100.00, for the balance owed on my account. I called the hospital to find out why they were billing me and they told me that per BCBS, I did n0t call BCBS to pre-authorize my surgery. When the hospital called for pre-authorization, BCBS did not bother to let me know that I also had to call. Disclosure is a major issue now days, but I guess BCBS doesn't believe they owe that to their customers. Save a dollar here and there! I had enough on my mind with having surgery. I have a history of rare tumors along with other types of tumors, and am very cautious when it comes to whether or not to leave them alone or have them taken out. I will be discussing my case with an attorney, but wanted to alert those who are not aware of BCBS of Florida's agenda. M.Higgins
 16th of Jun, 2009 by   Drew Eriksen +1 Votes
Does anyone have experience seeing a chiropractor out of network with BCBS? I really want to see my chiropractor but have insurance now and was wondering if I could still see him. His company is http://drnathans.com and he does not accept any insurances directly. I know I can use my HSA but was hoping that I can send my own claim in. Not sure if this is the place to post but was hoping someone has experienced this.
 29th of Jun, 2009 by   Tammy says 0 Votes
Drew Eriksen -
Of course you can still see your chiropractor!!! I do not know how it works w/your particular insurance, but MOST insurances will let you submit your own claim and your chiropractor should be able to give you a receipt or statement so that you will get reimbursed. You will probably have to pay your chiropractor directly up front, but then you get reimbursed by your insurance company, depending on your benefits.
GO CHIROPRACTIC!!!
 13th of Jul, 2009 by   vango 0 Votes
BCBC of Florida deserves to be prosecuted and its execuitves imprisoned for life. It is a horrible, horrible company that cheats its customers and deceives the medical profession. They often deliberately process claims with wrong codes and, even if you take the time and effort to appeal and eventually win, they never offer any explanation or apology for their numerous screw-ups. Bring on national single-payer government health care, please!! Anything would be an improvement over the Blue Cross bandits!
 14th of Aug, 2009 by   Sick of insurance companies 0 Votes
I had BC/BS of Florida for 3 years, ending last Jan. In June I was stunned when they started sending me requests for reimbursements for medical care they authorized and paid for from May 2006 (more than 3 years ago) until August 2008 (a year ago). They're now saying the procedures were "non-covered under this contract. Claim processed and paid in error." They're trying to get me to pay them back more than $3, 000. (I already paid the out-of-network charges for going to specialists they didn't contract with at the time.) This seems wrong on so many fronts. Can you imagine buying a car or an airline ticket or a dental bridge and having the vendor come back three years later and say, "Oh, I'm sorry, we charged you the wrong amount. You actually owe us $3, 000 more, now hand it over." ?

As it is, I've been out of work for more than two years, and I couldn't pay them even if I thought I owed it to them. But it's quite anxiety producing to get repeated "claims for overpayment" from a major insurance company because of what they claim were their own clerical errors.
 24th of Nov, 2009 by   elisheva 0 Votes
Thank you all for your comments. I am searching for medical insurance for my daughter and have contacted Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida. Each time I call, those on the other end seem impatient, arrogant...it is like a "boiler room operation". It seems that not one medical provider in the State of Florida has a good reputation - in doing one's research, one just has to find the lessor of all the evils out there. I wish better insurance companies came into the state so that we could have more options.
 13th of Dec, 2009 by   Mike Arhangelsky 0 Votes
If you are tired of bcbsfl please feel free to contact me. I have policies with no preexisting, quality 24 hr customer service, a national network, and 10 days from application to arrival of cards. Please feel free to contact me mike@floridasurance.com. All quotes are free.

Best Regards,
 27th of Aug, 2010 by   Arianne Ciarlo 0 Votes
I am tired of the US government BS, the economics of the healthcare system are the problem. Yet they do not go to the root of the cause. They try to put bandaids on it and the FDA, let's not even start with their B.S. greedy lying bastards. I'm over it, leaving the USA.
 21st of Apr, 2011 by   cojam 0 Votes
My wife and I signed up with bcbs through their website. The quote was $346/mo and we had to pay a month up front. Two weeks later the nurse showed up for the basic physical. A month and a half later our cards show up and then 2 days later we get a notice that our rate has increased to $477/mo. Also in the mail that day was a bill for $1077 for the two months of service that we apparently had been receiving. A week after that we get a notice that our rate will be increasing to $523. I'm not the litigious type but I would be happy to participate in the destruction of this evil. Anyone else lucky enough to find this before signing up, don't do it. Get a job with a big company offering health insurance. That's what I'll be doing.

<3 the comment about Canada sending pennies.
 27th of Sep, 2011 by   Hmart 0 Votes
BCBS of Florida is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. I will never again have this insurance. I have been on the phone with them and back and forth from the hospital all day. They sent me on a wild goose chase for paperwork that they had the whole time. They denied a claim of mine for almost $3, 000 because they did not have this information. To find out that they had it the whole time makes me want to scream. Every person I spoke to had horrible customer service skills (where do they get these people). Can it really be these people or a horrible company conditioning these people to be like this? What kind of job is going to want these people with these skills? I know I would not hire anyone of those people. I could tell that these types of situations happen a lot because they have a system in place that makes it impossible to get a hold of there supervisors. I am filing a complaint and if anyone else wants to the address is;
Blue Cross Blue Shield Complaint Department
P.O. Box 7
Pittsburgh, PA 15230.
I don't know if it will help but if everyone who is upset actually sends in a complaint they cant possibly ignore it can they? They need to start caring about the patient. If everyone who hated them switched carriers they could disappear. Ultimately they are in business because people use them and if they lost enough patients well then too bad not so sad.
 18th of Mar, 2012 by   danielrj 0 Votes
I have FEDERAL BC/BS: Under MEDCO when they could not fill your prescription, they would call you so that you could make arraignments with your doctor for an alternative, if one was needed.

With Caremark I found out about a problem via a Facebook app that was 3 days old, that my prescription was CANCELLED. Brenda told me the reason that I was not notified was because the issue was between Caremark and the doctor. She also said that they have no pharmacist working on the weekends., so she could not tell me why it was cancelled. I was told to call my doctor to get a short term prescription from my local Pharmacy. I have to travel 15 miles to my local pharmacy. Plus she could not tell me how much temporary medicine I would need. She gave me no clue about how long it would take to resolve the problem. It was none of my business is my guess. Especially since this problem was between them and my doctor.
If one does not have a computer, than I would guess that the patient is at the mercy of Caremarks lack of empathy for peoples health. I wish BCBS would please bring back MEDCO. THEY are the true caring professionals..
 15th of Jun, 2012 by   Bob Linder 0 Votes
I wish I had found this page before ever visiting Sawgrass Fl Blue office. THEY ARE THE WORST!! Salesman wastes no time getting your bank acct info and starts monthly deductions BEFORE YOU ARE EVEN APPROVED. He also signs you up for dental. After they reject you - for being 30 lbs overwt., monthly deductions appear on your checking acct for a dental policy you never even knew you had. It appears as a payment to "FCL". What the hell is that?? It went thru for four months before I even thought to question who FCL was. When I finally confronted manager, he he took two weeks to agree to refund funds...which finally occurred SEVEN WEEKS later. You may judge the quality of a company by
customer care responsiveness. Which in the case of Fl Blue, DOESN'T EXIST! And Obama wants to put our national health care program into the hands of insurance companies like these?

IS HE CRAZY??
 2nd of Nov, 2012 by   beatnik_florida 0 Votes
I had previous insurance through AETNA, which I had assumed was a poor company compared to BCBS, which I had heard many good things about over the last 3 decades. How wrong I was when I had to deal with BCBS Florida. It is absolutely the worst company I've ever had the misfortune of using. I don't really have a choice as my employer cancelled AETNA. I had to go with my wife's policy for $400 more per month for adding me. I had an issue from square one in that they refuse to cover almost all medications that are not generic. Every time I contacted customer service about how I needed to get an pre-approval for my prescription through my physician, I got a new story, a completely different response, some 180 from the previous. I won't even go into all the various things I was told. I went through a lengthy process of getting a physician letter and exception form for pharmacy coverage for my prescription medication that I've taken for 3 years. Trust me, I've tried everything generic, nothing works except my med. It's about $150 a month. But after 2 months of contacting them and PRIME, they will not cover it. It's for a stomach problem, not anything like those meds that are abused. I even appealed their refusal and was told flat out, more or less: "too bad. denied. read the disclaimer. We will not cover your medication." A cold form letter like that. No call, No reason other than "We don't cover that as of (the month of the appeal), use a generic." Also note, Whenever I have used the online portal and I submitted an email, I never recieved any reply to any of my queries. No response. A few times I did get a form letter mailed to me a week later. What's up with that. Everyone uses email comms these days. Even to just ackowledge an email. With Blue Cross Blue Shield Florida - Nothing avoid them at all costs if you can, you WILL BE SORRY!

Phone Fraud