Bath Fitter

Total scam

Bath Fitter
I am a former employee. I am writing this not out of bitterness, I actually left on good terms. The hours were great and so were the benefits. I managed a branch office in the mid-west region, but was not considered to be a branch manager. I gave over a year in good faith and service to this company and have an excellent, educated and informed perspective on Bath Fitter as a company. It is surprisingly and unfortunately negative.

All employees, including installers and office staff are grossly underpaid with expectations from management to take on extreme work loads. I was the unofficial manager of the office, even recognized in those terms by the branch manager, but was not rewarded in any manner for my skills or services. (Customers would call and ask for me, "the manager" by name!). Installers are paid a measly 7.8% commission rate on installations, which usually average around $1, 000.00 but keep them working on the job until around 7-9 pm. You do the math.

It was common for the local branches to hold Help Wanted Open Houses that are advertised in the newspaper every 2-3 months, in which they hire off-the-street installers and salesmen. The reason behind hiring people with little to no experience is so that Bath Fitter can train them with Bath Fitter's guidelines... A recipe for disaster.

Not only is the turn over rate absolutely outrageous but installers are only required to complete 6-8 weeks of training - only 3-4 of which are used in a hands-on training facility! When our location was desperate for installers, our branch manager approved new hire installers to work after only completing the written course training portion of 4 weeks. Desperate times call for treading a thin legal line, apparently. When questioned by me and other staff regarding the decision to allow this the branch manager responded by saying "who's going to know besides us?"

The people who knew ended up being the angry, dissatisfied customers who's bathrooms were left in damaged, leaking, shoddy condition for WEEKS waiting for resolutions. Sometimes these were customers only bathrooms with children or grandparents residing in the home. The manager would instruct me to handle all complaint calls and "use my best judgement" to resolve them. I dealt with a laundry list of complaints on a daily basis and it only kept growing as I made my exit from this company.

Just so you have an idea, I can recall installers breaking 50 year old porcelain antique bathroom floor tiles and our company never reimbursing, replacing, or repairing them because they were "too old." (So what? Does that mean these customers are not entitled to compensation?) That complaint still had not been resolved by the time I left the company.

It's an everyday occurrence to have a liner installed crookedly. Of course it is usually the "fault of the homeowners floor tiles for not being straight." Yes, that unfortunate excuse was actually given. Never the fault of poor craftsmanship - OR Bath Fitter. This, not to mention the terrible caulking jobs with large gaps, leaking walls, liners with bubbles behind them...these bubbles must be due to the fact that the walls are not perfectly level, right? Laughable.

There was an ongoing issue with a customers home in which the plumber that BATH FITTER provides (not one the consumer chooses) actually broke a water pipe behind a wall and did not say anything and just left it that way. A few hours after the installer completed the job, the home owner's kitchen ceiling light directly below this bathroom was flooding with water and his entire kitchen ceiling needed repair. This went on for WEEKS and WEEKS with Bath Fitter trying to escape responsibility. "Oh, it's the plumber's fault, not ours..." The branch manager finally agreed to send out an installer to repair the drywall and ceiling of his kitchen - an 18 year old, fresh out of high school, green handed kid with NO experience in the realm of home repair.

Branches rarely made good on promises to compensate customers for bills they incurred from repairing damages our company made to their property - like the steam cleaning bill from blood on white carpet and not removing shoes leaving scuffed and scratched floor tile despite being "required" to lay down a drop cloth

Some customers file complaints with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and as soon as Bath Fitter hears of these complaints they are immediately addressed and the situations rectified. Most of the time Bath Fitter attempts to settle issues before complaints are filed, but that only strings trusting consumers along for a waiting period of up to months before the office makes good on their promises.

The salesmen, or "estimators, " are paid only an 8% commission rate on sales. The are not given an hourly rate and usually have around 6-9 calls a week. Of those calls, approximately 30% will sell. Most of the salesmen estimate on a part time basis because of this and therefore it is not their primary means of income. They are instructed by every level of management to make each sale a high pressure sale wrapped in a low pressure atmosphere. They are told to hike the price to an outrageous level and then charm the price down. For example: "Well, Mrs. Mathers, this package is normally around $7, 000 (completely made up) but if you decide to purchase your liner system from me tonight I can lower the price to about $3, 000." Most estimators that I've met could care less about Bath Fitter as a company and even less about their 8% commission rate. There are absolutely no incentives for salesmen, excuse me, "Estimators" to go out and make sales.

If you haven't picked up the trend yet, my main point is that a company's only as successful as the management and employees it hires. And from my experience Bath Fitter fails in both aspects. That's why I left. I wanted no more ties with a company of this negligence. They have unhappy employees and hidden, cowardly management. I have spoken with many Bath Fitter employees who complain of the very same things I've written here, which is so unfortunate because this company has the potential to be more lucrative and successful than it is. I'm shocked that they have been in business this long.

Of course there are those "couple thousand satisfied" customers that they keep telling me about...hmm. From my experience these customers are satisfied - only after Bath Fitter takes responsibility for their managerial and costly in-home blunders. Do you have the time, money and patience to do business with a company like this? You'd be better off doing the project yourself. Bath Fitter is a total scam.
Complaint comments Comments (15) Complaint country United States Complaint category Building, Construction

22nd of Apr, 2013 by    -2 Votes
I paid more than $8, 000 in 2007 for the local Bath Fitter franchise to install wainscoting/shower liner in my home's main bathroom. The work was shoddy from the beginning, and the installers punched holes in my wall. After calling the local manager repeatedly, they patched the drywall, but still did not leave a smooth wall. Also, the trim they use has gaps at the corners and did almost from the start. The silicone-type grout came loose within a month. I've just had to live with those defects because they wouldn't fix them, and neither Home Depot or Lowes sells the same product. Now one side of the shower liner has come loose (bowed out) from the wall. I'm going to call the manager about this and ask to have it repaired under the Lifetime Warranty. If they fail to honor the warranty, I'm going to inform the manager of my intention to (1) report it to the Better Business Bureau and (2) write a scathing online article about Bath Fitter and publish it to HubPages.com where I have a large readership. It remains to be seen whether I'll get proper repairs from Bath Fitters, but--believe me--I WILL get satisfaction one way or another, even if it's only from warning potential customers not to trust them!
 6th of May, 2013 by    -1 Votes
@ JayeRD - Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We regret the frustration you've experienced, and want to make sure you can fully enjoy your new bath liner. Have you contacted the location you worked with to do your remodel? Please feel free to email our customer service department at customercare@bathfitter.com with some background on this issue, and your contact information - this will allow us to contact your local Bath Fitter store on your behalf. Thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.

Bath Fitter Customer Service
 19th of Oct, 2014 by    0 Votes
 19th of Oct, 2014 by    0 Votes
They tried to charge me $1000 for shower doors in my one bathroom
Then I asked to estimate my other bathroom which was a full convert and they only deducted out $400 when I did not want doors ..???
The saleswoman left her price List Accidentally if anyone wants..
Alls iI say is wow. $ 600 too remove. A tub, $ 1000 for a ceiling 30 inches
Wide by 60 inches long, 1 sheet of wainscoting $2000 plastic 12 foot wide by 4 foot tall ..
She was nice but very scattered..
Love the auto text.
 8th of Jan, 2015 by    +1 Votes
What Bath Fitters does is fine for a quick and relatively inexpensive alternative to remodeling. But the company is short-term in their concepts, following current styles and trends that may be outdated in 10-15 years. This is particularly the case with bathroom fixtures. I bought an older home three years ago the seriously needed the bath/shower back splash and window replaced. The plastic simulated tile the company uses looks acceptable, but is no real substitute for glazed ceramic tile. My eventual plan was to replace the existing bathroom tile with an Art Deco pattern of glazed tiles, which belongs with this style of house. While the original back splash, fixtures, and shower door installation were worth $3, 000, the tile replacement job with the same plastic materials was not worth an additional $3, 000 when I was quoted $1, 200. The house has the original porcelain fixture that they wanted to replace with contemporary fixtures. In addition, Bath Fitters can provide only one color. I did not want all white, but the varying black, gray, and white areas I simulated on the existing tile as a trial pattern and example of what I was looking for. Bath Fitters is fine for average people, but they do not offer a large enough variety, nor is their staff trained in more artistic concepts than what I realize are right for my house.
 24th of Jan, 2015 by    +2 Votes
Port Charlotte, Fl : We had our tub surround done by the Fort Myers franchise after Hurricane Charlie: It was mis- measured from the start, so bad they had to drop the ceiling with a "false" one and cover it to match, the whole thing is held together with 1' deep caulking that turned a mustard yellow after only 6 months and large areas came away from the wall giving a bowed out effect. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY...save a little more money and upgrade with the real thing.
 20th of Jun, 2015 by    +4 Votes
I`m sorry I had to read this, when I saw the adv. on tv I wanted to see about getting an estimate, now I`m not at all sure that I want to use this company. I don`t want to have to pay some one for shoddy, half done work.
Ms Lanap
 3rd of Jul, 2015 by     Best Advice +4 Votes
I'm so sorry I had them do my bath very little to choose from and did not like the pressure the salesman put on us you'll get this price only if u buy now or else. It's a scam. I wish I had read these reviews first would never recommend. Can't even find a shower curtain long enough that I like. Paid way to much money wouldn't take. Coupon I had. Manager did nothing when I complained. Rochester ny store. Take my advice..
 3rd of Aug, 2015 by    +2 Votes
Well, I wish I had found these reviews before I called too. They came out, gave me, what I thought, was quite a deal, then the day after I gave them a check I had to cancel because of other problems. Now I am in a fight to recover my check! They have lied about where it is and who can get it to me! First the sales rep says he mailed it back to me, then when I didn't receive it in 10 days I called and got some administrator in another office and she tells me my check is in a lock box in another office in another area and that the only person who can get in the lock box is on vacation and won't be back for several days. She was rude, and talked over me the whole time which lets me know she is lying too and doesn't want to hear what I have to say. Guess I am glad I did not go through with this, maybe, cause I still don't have my check. Be careful. I am going to let the Better Business Bureau know too.
 28th of Aug, 2015 by    +3 Votes
I JUST saw the adv. on tv I wanted to see about getting an estimate, now I`m not at all sure that I want to use this company. I don`t want to have to pay some one for shoddy, half done work. I will NOT be calling them, thank you For sharing .
 2nd of Sep, 2015 by    +2 Votes
Just to let everyone know, we signed a contract with Bath Fitter on July 16. They required one third deposit, which was nearly $1900. Now it is September 2nd and they still haven't set an installation date. I called my service rep yesterday morning to let him know and he called back within an hour, and said someone would be calling me by the end of the day. No one ever called. At this point, my advice would be not to do business with a company that might make you wait until Christmas or until Armageddon for your shower to be installed. My wife is really impatient and is already calling other contractors, which would necessitate legal action to get a refund of the deposit. I will update this review if they ever decide to call.
 4th of Mar, 2016 by    0 Votes
Be very careful when you look into bath fitters. We needed to redo our bath for my 85 year old dad who could no longer get into a normal tub. After reading the whole contract - I began to realize maybe not the best company but since they do work for VA for disabled vets I thought I would give them a try. Our first hiccup was they never acquire a plumbing permit and tried to put a two inch shower drain reduced down to an 1 1/2 tub drain which is against the plumbing code. Had to cut holes all in my garage ceiling to fix plumbing, were going to just cover up their work, inspector had to tell them they needed to put in access panel since plumbing had been redone, put in plastic access panel - had to tell them can't put plastic in a fire wall - if fire broke out in garage the plastic would melt in seconds and fire is now into the rest of the house immediately. Left drywall repairs for my husband to fix, sent one plumber out to do all plumbing work - took him all day on a Saturday with my husband being his helper. Was told job would take 2 days - 8 days later they finished which meant my father was unable to bath for 9 days. Just very disorganized - don't seem to know the local or national laws or building codes and not very knowledgeable office people - I had to tell them what was going on and what was required. When the code violations came up the scheduler didn't even put us back on the schedule - I had to call and throw a fit to get them out at least the next day. Buyer be very aware with this company!!!
 16th of Jun, 2016 by    +1 Votes
We hired Bath Fitters to complete a job for us in an apartment that we rent. We conveyed the sense of urgency for the project because it was not a cosmetic job, it was prompted by a leaking bath tub from our second floor to the first floor apartment. The contract was signed with the expectation that work would begin shortly after. We heard nothing and we followed up and were told that the problem was fitting the tub around the existing window and this would take 6 weeks to order. We found a local contractor to change the window within a week with the expectation that we were all set and the work would begin. Again nothing, followed by phone call after phone call to no avail. Finally we heard that the work would not begin for another 2 months. At that point we decided that we would have to cancel the order, we still had a leaky tub that required immediate attention. The response was that they were keep 25% of our deposit, over $2, 000, 00. They claimed it was a restocking fee but when we enquired if any work had begun in preparation for our job they said no. So they kept our money because they thought they could. We will be taking them to court. DO NOT USE BATH FITTERS THEY ARE DISHONEST!!!
 3rd of Jul, 2016 by    0 Votes
I am livid with this company. The salesperson sold me on how and what they could do to my two bathrooms - I initially was happy and excited to have this work done. The estimate was over 13k for both. When the first two installers came out - wow they looked like slobs and did such a bad job. They left a huge gap between the new shower pan and existing tile, cut my baseboard so crooked it looked like they did it with their teeth. The shower handle was flopping around and hardly any water pressure. Their fingerprints with the glue was all over the new glass doors. They stated they were unable to extend the shower wall like the salesman told me they could, for some lazy reason - not what I wanted.

An Ocala employee with more experience was called to fix their work - he took pics and video he fixed it best he could - now on to the master - he did do a decent job but the girl in the office NEVER followed up on getting the custom glass enclosure to finish the job. She had an attitude from the get go. This was all a cluster in January and guess what? I got a past due bill (1st I've heard from them since) for the 5k for the job. I had given my credit card to the last installer and when I never got charged, I figured, good - they did the right thing because the work and service was so bad. Six months later are you kidding me??? I never received the warranty for the 2nd bath.

They can kiss my ass because I'm contacting my attorney on this - absolute crap company DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM YOU WILL BE SORRY AND FURIOUS LIKE I AM RIGHT NOW!!!
 31st of Aug, 2016 by    0 Votes
I wish I knew what branch in the Mid-West exactly this was because I would invite their staff to come train with our team. It's completely Ludacris. We are a forward thinking, problem solving, hardworking team here. Our management respects us and our team members support each other- like cogs in a clock we depend on everyone here to make it work. This person contradicts himself in saying that "the hours were great and so were the benefits" then he says "All employees, including installers and office staff are grossly underpaid." Well former employee? Which is it?

I wouldn't pay this much thought. I'm happy to work here with our amazing team. And I think that you would be happy to be a part of the Bath Fitter family of customers.

-Inside sales rep at Bath Fitter