Barnes and Noble

Posted:

Unauthorized membership renewal charges

4.8
I have been a member of Barnes and Noble since May last year. My husband asked me yesterday if we would like to renew it as we he had received the renewal notice in the mail and we were thinking about renewing it when we went to the store on weekend. This morning I was checking my credit card charges online and I came across a Barnes and Noble $25 membership renewal charge. I did not remember authorizing them to charge my account automatically. I called the store and then the member ship number they gave me. The complied to remove the charge. When I expressed my dissatisfaction from the incident, I was told when you open it at the store, you will automatically be renewed unless you tell them. That is nice. They solicited me and told me verbally about all the benefits and all I have to do is to fill in my information, but forgot to tell me about the renewal policy. Then they told me that the credit may take up to two months. This is close to fraud as I could have missed the charge or may have thought that I had bought a book at the store. Even though, I was going to renew the membership, I will NOT anymore and will stop shopping at that store. This is clearly BAD practice if not fraud.
Complaint comments Comments (62) Complaint country United States Complaint category Books

Comments

9th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Barnes & Noble (.com) - (Really) Poor Customer Service
Massachusetts

Yikes. I've been a loyal and happy customer for many years, but they really (REALLY) bungled a recent shipment. Rather than boring you with all the detail, let me just suggest that if you use them, be sure to check the package-tracking website repeatedly to ensure that shipments really HAVE been shipped -- it seems that their shipment notification emails are by no means accurate. The funny (but not really) thing is that this would have been a very easy problem to fix, had it not been for further ineptitude in their response (i.e., ignoring repeated follow-up emails). Ugh. Off to Amazon for this girl.
 5th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Barnes & Noble/Taken dvd box set - Terrible customer service and sharing private information
Barnes & Noble
Kansas

Here is a copy of the complaint letter that I wrote to Barnes & Noble only to discover that not a single person in either the call center or the local stores was willing or able to tell me where to direct my written complaint:

"To Whom It May Concern:

The purpose of this letter is to make a formal complaint about the service I received when calling your call center earlier today. I would like to make a grievance about the following:

1. I was shipped the wrong product.
2. Upon trying to arrange to receive or exchange this incorrect shipment I was lied to. This lie entailed incorrectly negating the possibility of an “in store exchange.”
3. I was placed on hold for 50 minutes while waiting to speak to the manager of a representative at which time the line disconnected me.
4. A third party was able to call into the call center while providing the incorrect name for the order and acquire information about the order including credit card information.
5. Upon calling back to the call center I was again refused the opportunity to speak with a manager.
6. I was verbally accosted while simply trying to speak with a manager.

Any one of the above listed complaints are reason enough in most call centers, which in most cases are considered customer service for the discernable reason that they service customers not defraud, insult or otherwise misrepresent themselves to the customers, for immediate termination of an employee. It would be reasonable for a customer to then assume that it is in fact the policy of this particular call center to offend customers beyond all consideration of repeat business thereby contributing to the gradual and steady decline of business and overall public opinion.

You may thank the prompt and accommodating service of your manager Clarence for keeping this customer from refusing any future transactions, canceling my membership and doing everything in my power as a university professor to stop everyone that I’ve ever come in contact with from doing business with Barnes & Noble. As it stands, my largest concern with this incident is that my personal information was provided to an unverifiable third party. I am strongly disappointed in this company and utterly furious with the treatment of both myself and my personal information. I believe you’ll find at least one of these in direct violation of your privacy policy and quite illegal.

Awaiting any and all correspondence related to the direct resolution of this grievance."
 24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Actually, when you fill out the paperwork, there is a little box right underneath where you sign your name that says explicitly to mark it if you do not want to renew automatically. If you failed to read the paper you were filling out, that is not Barnes and Noble's fault. It is clearly written right there! In addition, at the store I work at, most of us point it out to the customer (knowing that there are many who will simply ignore that portion of the paper) so that these situations can be avoided.
 11th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
You may cancel preorder from your order. If you have a 24-hour title in your order with the preorder, you will not be able to cancel the 24-hour title. Only the pre-order.
 11th of Jul, 2009 by    -4 Votes
Little box? It is pretty noticeable. I think it is bigger then what other companies display.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by    -2 Votes
At my store, we also point out the box to customers signing up for the Membership, because there are many people who will fill out a form and sign their names with no idea what they are signing. If you would read the VERY SHORT disclaimer right above where you are signing, it basically says that you authorize signing up for automatic renewal of your membership card. DONT SIGN ANYTHING BEFORE READING IT!!! :/
 16th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
In my opinion, no renewal should be 'automatic' ** by default **. The checkbox should be to opt IN to auto-renewal. This is just another way the United States is SO FAR out of Europe's leagues. For privacy and security reasons, European countries use the Opt IN method instead of the Opt OUT method.

How much better for the reputation of a company to get customers to WANT to renew -- rather than trick and offend them with a *GOTCHA.*
 6th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

Barnes And Nobles - Delivery Fraud
Barnes and Nobles
Texas
barnesandnoble.com

I have had it with Barnes and Nobles.

I decided after better judgement to give the on-line a go as I needed the Berlitz Spanish cds in short order. You showed when ordered a 2-3 business day turn and did not indicate it would take 8 days to ship this product. US Postal Service shows they were notified 11/5 electronically to expect a package which they never got to ship. So why does it take 8 days for Barnes and Nobles to simply place a few cds into a shipping package.

Calling your service line I am now told Barnes and Nobles lost the pack for which the post office was suppose to receive and it will be November 16 until they can figure out how to get a few cds into a shipping package to send meaning it will probably be Thanksgiving before we receive a simple order.

This is a joke!

Barnes and Nobles tends to be a higher price for items which one is willing to do at times with good service. So this is the first time I have used your on-line to order and this is my last. So I am now over a week waiting on something that quite honestly should have been sent the next day. Borders is right next to my house and has re-inforced the fact they should be the full service store I use when not shopping at other places like Half Price, Amazon.com etc. I vote with my dollars and I cannot stand on-line services promising one thing, doing another and not delivering. It is not only the on-line, I will also avoid walking into any Barnes and Nobles for any business period. Nothing Noble in this service.
 13th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
don't feel like your the only one who's been mistreated by people in a call center.
I once applied and was hired for a calll center and walking by one of the telephone operators who was making call for a bank in New England, which has numerous branches throughout that area, an and in Delaware and Illinois, I overhead the operator talking to the customer in the most discourteous hostile tone of voice!
I know, had I been the customer I'd been appalled like you, but i was appalled just listening to this guy, and it was even directed towards me!
 21st of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
Try contacting Terri Pucin, Vice President of Customer Experience for B&N.. try contacting her through the switchboard main number 212-633-3300. i think the email is tpucin@bn.com or some format of firstname lastname @bn.com Good luck! although I recall her being the biggest bitch in the world and she is supposed to lead the entire company's customer experience but she is absolutely a horrible wench which tells a lot for the company if the person at the top is completely rude.. I think they should fire her and hire someone that understands being nice to the customer and more competent.. hopefully they will see this! Pass the word and stop big corporations like B&N from stealing from customers and not being accountable!
 21st of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
 24th of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I do not understand how the charge was not communicated to you. Unless you did not provide the correct address or email, the company contacts you at least 30 days out and tells you that they are going to renew the card unless you tell them not to. I have had a membership for years, and it is a nice thing for me to enjoy it without having to worry about it being active or if I have the card with me.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Update: My store manager is now telling us that it is "illegal" for us to point this out to our customers! Shady business, man. She was getting upset because too many of our applications had the "opt-out" box checked. Unfortunately, her ethical viewpoint is not as important as her desire for profit. Sigh.
 16th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hello Marc:

I just read your post and want to give you an official response on behalf of our company. It’s important to me that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved. If you have questions or feedback, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-826-1885. Alternatively, you can contact me directly at mary@completesavings.com. If you contact me directly, please reference this post.

Thanks,
Mary
 25th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
I too was scammed by Complete Savings. I purchased a bird feeder from CountryStoreCatalog.com and was offered a $10.00 coupon. I did not accept the coupon because I do not purchase from this company on a regular basis. That was 16 months ago. I have been charged $12.00 a month since June of 2009. I never noticed because of the low amount. I emailed Complete Savings and they cancelled my membership and offered a refund of $48.00. I want to know about the rest of the $180.00 that they stole from me! I've filed complaints with the BBB in both Connecticut and Pennsylvania(Retailer's state), the Attorney General's office of both states, and with the Federal Trade Commission. If everyone who has had this happen to them would do the same, maybe they would stop scamming people!
 26th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes

Barnes & Noble - Shipping
Barnes & Noble
barnesandnoble.com

I ordered two books online August 18 and have yet to receive them eight days later. I have been tracking the shipment, which traveled from New Jersey to Kentucky to Georgia to North Carolina, and I'm waiting for it to end up in South Carolina. Considering they sent it from GA to NC rather than straight to SC, I won't be surprised to find that it wanders on over to Tennessee before I finally get it.

Now pardon me while I go scream profanity into the desolate emptiness of my mailbox.
 25th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
The box has been there for a while. You should probably read it.
 4th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
It is a scam. When you sign up for a card, it should simply be a one-time option. The fact that Barnes & Noble uses this type of option - check the box if you don't want to be charged" tells me they are trying to scam people. Their own employees - the honest ones with integrity - know it is a scam or the "manager" would not complain that the "opt out option" is being selected. Shame on you Barnes & Noble for your lack of integrity.
 14th of Oct, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I didn't check the box on the application and still got the automatic renewal. I think the store clerk does the checking of the box for you whether you like it or not. You don't get to complain unless you notice it on your charge receipt. I saw it and when I called, they had to know ever little detail about me including my email address. If you get all kinds of spam from them you make all correspondence from them spam. What a scam!!!
 26th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes

Barnes And Noble Coffee Shop - coffee line and taste
barnes and noble
the avenue
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
Phone: 615 932 0335
barnesansnoble.com

I went into the store twice this week to tell the girl my coffee was bad the day before they were busy and understocked with help[ the young peter pan chick was rude to me and made me feel as if I was a dummy for even complaining at all she was working today and a very rude girl they were more into christmas decor. what jerks peggy a

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree