Barnes and Noble

Posted:

Unauthorized membership renewal charges

4.75
I have been a member of Barnes and Noble since May last year. My husband asked me yesterday if we would like to renew it as we he had received the renewal notice in the mail and we were thinking about renewing it when we went to the store on weekend. This morning I was checking my credit card charges online and I came across a Barnes and Noble $25 membership renewal charge. I did not remember authorizing them to charge my account automatically. I called the store and then the member ship number they gave me. The complied to remove the charge. When I expressed my dissatisfaction from the incident, I was told when you open it at the store, you will automatically be renewed unless you tell them. That is nice. They solicited me and told me verbally about all the benefits and all I have to do is to fill in my information, but forgot to tell me about the renewal policy. Then they told me that the credit may take up to two months. This is close to fraud as I could have missed the charge or may have thought that I had bought a book at the store. Even though, I was going to renew the membership, I will NOT anymore and will stop shopping at that store. This is clearly BAD practice if not fraud.
Complaint comments Comments (55) Complaint country United States Complaint category Books

Comments

24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Actually, when you fill out the paperwork, there is a little box right underneath where you sign your name that says explicitly to mark it if you do not want to renew automatically. If you failed to read the paper you were filling out, that is not Barnes and Noble's fault. It is clearly written right there! In addition, at the store I work at, most of us point it out to the customer (knowing that there are many who will simply ignore that portion of the paper) so that these situations can be avoided.
 11th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
You may cancel preorder from your order. If you have a 24-hour title in your order with the preorder, you will not be able to cancel the 24-hour title. Only the pre-order.
 11th of Jul, 2009 by    -4 Votes
Little box? It is pretty noticeable. I think it is bigger then what other companies display.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by    -2 Votes
At my store, we also point out the box to customers signing up for the Membership, because there are many people who will fill out a form and sign their names with no idea what they are signing. If you would read the VERY SHORT disclaimer right above where you are signing, it basically says that you authorize signing up for automatic renewal of your membership card. DONT SIGN ANYTHING BEFORE READING IT!!! :/
 16th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
In my opinion, no renewal should be 'automatic' ** by default **. The checkbox should be to opt IN to auto-renewal. This is just another way the United States is SO FAR out of Europe's leagues. For privacy and security reasons, European countries use the Opt IN method instead of the Opt OUT method.

How much better for the reputation of a company to get customers to WANT to renew -- rather than trick and offend them with a *GOTCHA.*
 6th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

Barnes And Nobles - Delivery Fraud
Barnes and Nobles
Texas
barnesandnoble.com

I have had it with Barnes and Nobles.

I decided after better judgement to give the on-line a go as I needed the Berlitz Spanish cds in short order. You showed when ordered a 2-3 business day turn and did not indicate it would take 8 days to ship this product. US Postal Service shows they were notified 11/5 electronically to expect a package which they never got to ship. So why does it take 8 days for Barnes and Nobles to simply place a few cds into a shipping package.

Calling your service line I am now told Barnes and Nobles lost the pack for which the post office was suppose to receive and it will be November 16 until they can figure out how to get a few cds into a shipping package to send meaning it will probably be Thanksgiving before we receive a simple order.

This is a joke!

Barnes and Nobles tends to be a higher price for items which one is willing to do at times with good service. So this is the first time I have used your on-line to order and this is my last. So I am now over a week waiting on something that quite honestly should have been sent the next day. Borders is right next to my house and has re-inforced the fact they should be the full service store I use when not shopping at other places like Half Price, Amazon.com etc. I vote with my dollars and I cannot stand on-line services promising one thing, doing another and not delivering. It is not only the on-line, I will also avoid walking into any Barnes and Nobles for any business period. Nothing Noble in this service.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I do not understand how the charge was not communicated to you. Unless you did not provide the correct address or email, the company contacts you at least 30 days out and tells you that they are going to renew the card unless you tell them not to. I have had a membership for years, and it is a nice thing for me to enjoy it without having to worry about it being active or if I have the card with me.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
Update: My store manager is now telling us that it is "illegal" for us to point this out to our customers! Shady business, man. She was getting upset because too many of our applications had the "opt-out" box checked. Unfortunately, her ethical viewpoint is not as important as her desire for profit. Sigh.
 16th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hello Marc:

I just read your post and want to give you an official response on behalf of our company. It’s important to me that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved. If you have questions or feedback, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-826-1885. Alternatively, you can contact me directly at mary@completesavings.com. If you contact me directly, please reference this post.

Thanks,
Mary
 25th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
I too was scammed by Complete Savings. I purchased a bird feeder from CountryStoreCatalog.com and was offered a $10.00 coupon. I did not accept the coupon because I do not purchase from this company on a regular basis. That was 16 months ago. I have been charged $12.00 a month since June of 2009. I never noticed because of the low amount. I emailed Complete Savings and they cancelled my membership and offered a refund of $48.00. I want to know about the rest of the $180.00 that they stole from me! I've filed complaints with the BBB in both Connecticut and Pennsylvania(Retailer's state), the Attorney General's office of both states, and with the Federal Trade Commission. If everyone who has had this happen to them would do the same, maybe they would stop scamming people!
 25th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
The box has been there for a while. You should probably read it.
 4th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
It is a scam. When you sign up for a card, it should simply be a one-time option. The fact that Barnes & Noble uses this type of option - check the box if you don't want to be charged" tells me they are trying to scam people. Their own employees - the honest ones with integrity - know it is a scam or the "manager" would not complain that the "opt out option" is being selected. Shame on you Barnes & Noble for your lack of integrity.
 14th of Oct, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I didn't check the box on the application and still got the automatic renewal. I think the store clerk does the checking of the box for you whether you like it or not. You don't get to complain unless you notice it on your charge receipt. I saw it and when I called, they had to know ever little detail about me including my email address. If you get all kinds of spam from them you make all correspondence from them spam. What a scam!!!
 13th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes

Barnes & Noble - Gift scam
Barnes & Noble

When I purchased a Nook Color from the B&N store, I was suggested to use gift cards for the purchase so that I can use a promotion to get $20 back, sweet right? The part they do NOT tell you is, if you return the product, all you get is $200 worth gift cards, NO option to credit your money back to your credit card. Basically, they render their product impossible to return. If you try to return it like I did, you get no money back, they steal your money, and you get stuck with a high amount of useless gift cards that you will never ever use.

My advise to everyone is steer clear of Barnes & Noble, since their business practices are dishonest. They do big mistakes as they did in my case, and they don't admit their mistake. All they care is how they can sit on your hard earned money, buy luring you by phony promotions to prevent you from ever being able to return their undesirable products. I am truly sorry to be so stupid to ever step in their store, at least you don't repeat my mistake!
 5th of Jan, 2011 by    -1 Votes
Your an idiot momscookies. Your supposed to check the box if you DONT want it to automatically renew.
 5th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes

Barnes And Nobles - Delivery Fraud
Barnes and Nobles

I ordered 2 books online for ebooks. They keep my credit card on file, however the date they have has expired and instead of redirecting to the date, it refused my order. Then I am told to call 800 I books. On hold 25 minutes, then disconnected. On hold 37 minutes only to be told, the computers are slow and I need to call back, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I have 225 dollars in gift cards and I cannot use and will not use them with this store and I have spend thousands with them over the years. They are a joke, If you cannot do business online correctly, then do not do it.
 5th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
You probably should have made sure your account was up to date before making the order. Always when I get my new credit cards, I make sure to update my online accounts before purchasing.
 7th of Feb, 2011 by    -1 Votes
I had the same thing happen to me. When I tried to call and undo it, I was on hold for over an hour. They finally straightened it out but patronizing such a business is not something I want to be a part of. With a perfectly nice Borders down the street, I'll be taking my book buying business there.
 19th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I'm very sorry for the issues you have had returning the book. I believe (I could be wrong) you can take the book and receipt to a B&N store and have them process the return for you.

The one part I take some exception with is the "My query required personal service because of my unique issue..." No it does not. You have a defective product that needs to be returned/refunded. Follow the instructions, and this will be done. The reason you got the message "would not be able to address my issue due to a high volume of emails" is because you and about 95% of people with defective products think you have a unique issue. You don't. It is defective, it needs to be returned. It is not a special case. Everyone thinks their issue is unique and that is why customer service people do everything possible to get out of the customer service industry. What should take like two minutes to deal with turns into an hour long ordeal because these "unique" customers think that every return needs to be like seeing a play. There needs to be drama, theatrics, and possibly a sad song. No. Take your book, your receipt, follow the return instructions and move on with life. This is why every single day I am thankful I don't work in retail anymore.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
OhWowReally: You are amazing. No one could say what you just said better.

Barnes & Noble Logo Barnes & Noble