Banfield Wellness Plans

Posted:

Can't cancel

4.5
Banfield Wellness Plans
I purchased an 8 wk old puppy from a local breeder and unfortunately, a month later my puppy died in a freak accident with a neighbor's kid. When I first got the puppy, I put her on Banfield's wellness plan for puppies. I understood that it was essentially a payment plan, NOT insurance. However, with only 1 set of shots given and a little dewormer, how could Banfield possibly expect me to continue paying them $21.95 a month for a puppy that only used their services twice and is NO LONGER ALIVE?!? Banfield insists that the contract states "no cancellations", however, this is just ridiculous! To pay 12 months for a puppy that only lived 1 month?!? That is absolutely ludicrous and definitely a SCAM!
Complaint comments Comments (57) Complaint country United States Complaint category Animal/Pet Hospitals

Comments

29th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
What a rip off on there plan. Took our golden in for a recheck on his ear infection and charged us again for a ear swab just tell us he is doing better. Why charge us again what are we paying for on this plan the hidden charges are they run by the mafia or what. Try to cancel the plan they want us to pay upfront to cancel out what a rip. Also when we took our dog in he was real nervious and growled at the vet, did they mistreat him? The last time he was drop off there. We would'nt advise our friends, relatives, or anyone to go there.
 1st of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
The Wellness Plan is just what the name says a WELLNESS PLAN, it does not cover diagonastic tests or meds.
 17th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes

Banfield Pet Hospital - Stay away from them
Banfield Pet Hospital
www.banfield.net

This like many other Banfield Hospitals have a lot of inexperienced Vets. The vet prescribed Etogesic tablets for my pet and we immediately saw his stool become watery with blood. When I looked up the drug on the internet I discovered that it was dangerous for pets, that it damages their liver and kidneys and several deaths have occurred. Good that we caught this early and were able to go else where. Their customer service people are inept and rude, these people should not be in the Pet care business, their wellness program is not worth it. Young and inexperienced vets are no comfort for your Pet. you can easily loose them.
 5th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Banfield - dont know what their doing
banfield
Texas City
Texas
Phone: 713-941-7893

Two days ago we took aour dog to Banfield to cure her of Parvovirus.
Then one of the doctors told me that the medication cost $416 .
they also said that the treatment was going to last two days but they only had her for half a day when we picked her up they didnt tell us what was rong and they didnt know what to tell us.Then they told us that she had to go again and check her again when i went they told me that i had to pay $300 just for a check up and for some medecine called clavamox wich in the store only cost $20 and they wanted to charge us like 200 dollars for it.They werent responsable for giving our puppy the right medecine she needed .So i DONT recomend you to take your puppies there for NOtHING!!

The address is:
10075 almeda genoa road. houson, Tx 77075
 16th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes

Banfield Hospital - RIPOFF AND USELESS!!!
Banfield Hospital
Phoenix
Arizona

These people are useless, they shouldn't even be allowed to operate their business. Honestly, there are WAY BETTER vets out there than this; this I must say is the worse I have been to. They are just there to take your money. I took my dog in because his posterior part of his body was paralyzed (his hind legs and his tail). I took him to the place and immediately the nurse took him before I could ask any questions. They later charge me a ridicuolous amount of money just to examine him and of course they don't know what's wrong with him or give some suggestions as to the cause of his illness! The "doctor" prints out a page full of tests and its fee to give to me. They were very unprofessional for the most part and their procedure of the whole situation. The visit to this Banfield Hospital was not at all helpful, but a waste of money and time. WARNING DO NOT GO TO THIS BANFIELD HOSPITAL or any others, apparently they have bad rep!
 1st of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
They will actually let you out of the contract if you pay for the services you received, but it would probably be better to just pay them the 21 bucks a month... ;-)
Yup and I am also one that is sick and tired of there wellness plan, they told me I saved over 600 Dollars to neuter my dog, where at a different clinic I could have gotten it done for less than 100 dollars (ABC Clinic in Waco). They are just trying to get money out of you and will do procedures that are not neccessary and will always charge you something.
I am in the process of canceling mine but I waited til the contract year is over with.
Hope you might have been able to figure something out with them!
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
How do you cancel? My dog's plan is up this month, and I can't find the paperwork. I think I remember reading that you can only cancel with a written letter- but don't know where to send it to. Let me know...
 24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have had to fight the same fight over the phone today and have been completely surprised. If you are someone thinking about getting the wellness plan DO NOT GET IT! I have just lost my baby Gilbert on Friday, June 19th. I have called Benfield Wellness Plan to cancel my plan. They of course will NOT DO it. Even tho, my pet is no longer alive and obviously no further services will needed Benfield wants to CONTINUE to charge me 22.00 dollars a month for the next six months. For what? What reason you may ask? Why would you pay for no services? That is this Wellness plan for you: THEY CHARGE YOU FOR NOTHING, IT'S A ROBBERY. In very small print on the agreement they said they would keep charging regardless of cancellation.

A second reason why I am not recommending this plan. My kitty had to have several office visits this year, x-rays, medicines, etc...this plan will not cover any of that and you are limited to only see one doctor. My recommendation that for only 5$ more/ month you can get a pet insurance. Do it. It will get you better benefits, more coverage, lower deductibles and an option to take your pet to any vet you choose.

Good luck to all of you and a happy healthy life to your pet!
 20th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I think you are a sucker. It plainly says on the brochure which I just read, "Plan memberships are annual agreements..." and "You may cancel anytime before the expiration date by paying the retail value of plan services or the remainder of your plans value, whichever is less." ...and this wasn't in small print either.
 12th of Aug, 2009 by    -2 Votes
I am looking at both of our brochures and I don't see anywhere where it talks about cancellation. Not sure where ChristopherW is seeing it.
 26th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
You cannot buy clavamox in the store. It is an antibiotic and quite expensive - depending on the size of your puppy.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by    -1 Votes
The fine print clearly says you are liable for the full year subscription even if your pet dies or is disposed of... It clearly says to provide a written notice of cancellation no less than 30 days prior to the renewal date which you have to assume is one year from the subscription date. (the dates of renewal and the cancellation procedure are very unclear)

If you do this then they will not have a leg to stand on but you have to provide the letter to the banfield office you subscribed at since that is the only office or address mentioned in the agreement. I suggest you send this letter certified and keep copies of everything. You might want to deliver a letter there personally just for good measure and make sure it is being received and tended to and not just set aside.
 25th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
We have had our GSP hunting dog in the Top Wellness Plan for years.
Last year these Hacks, butchered our dog. Removed a cell mass, and only put in a few stiches.
Leaving their office the dog bleeding would not stop.
Next day they needed to put in staples, as they should have to begin with.
The bleeding still continued, I called they said he can't move or it will still bleed.
Next day the staples began coming out. During these days of recouperation, I had to hold the dog not to move at all just to stop the bleeding.
After the staples came out, the wound would get bigger and bigger every day.
I called daily asking what I needed to do next?
After 5 daily trips to their office, they said now we can only treat it as an open wound.
Now it is 3" by 4" square of open wound. Treat it as an open wound was their only cource of action?
After a week of this, I took him to the Specialist and had a real Vet. DR. redo the operation.
Another $1, 500. to correct their hack job.
Staples were again used to close the wound. This time put in correctly, and they held and healing began. Bleeding was never an issue.

Thinking this was only one bad operation, we stayed in the Wellness Plan.
Yesterday he went in for his update, shots, X-rays the whole deal.
I dropped him off at 7:30 am. Expecting to pick him up after 2:00 pm. as directed.
12:30 they call me, "we can't mussel your dog, can you come in and help?".
I drove right over to find my dog running aound their kennel area.
I asked, What 's the problem? They said he just growels at us, and we can't mussel him.
I put his lead on and took him outside, where he took a pee as soon as he got out the door.
Two more steps and he began pooping. I thought he had all his business taken care of before I dropped him off at 7:30 am. But I guess 4 HOURS in the kennel waiting for treatment was too much time. He has never in 10 years of life ever done his business inside and never in his kennel.
No there was not any emergency treatments going on, they just knew they had all day to their job.

THESE TECHS CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DOG THAT NEEDS TO GO OUT, AND AN AGRESSIVE DOG? Where do they get these people?

Our GSP is a lover of all. And has never snapped at anyone.
I went back in to talk to the Vet., and discussed What took so long? And why hadn't treatment started. He said, "I don't know? They said they couldn't put a mussel on him?"
I said, "Why don't you have any system in place to put a mussel on? If that's want you need"
He had nothing to say.
Now I need a new Vet. We only began at Banfield because our family Vet of 15 years with other dogs retired.

Needless to say, NO WELLNESS PROGRAM ever again.

I wish I had read more about these Hacks before we ever began any program.
 29th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I had a plan with Banfield for about 4 years, and unfortunately we lost our dog this year about halfway through the year right after I had just gotten all of her vaccinations. She began having problems so I actually upgraded her plan so it would cover some of the blood tests they wanted to run to see what was going on, unfortunately she kept getting worse so we chose to euthanize her. It took me a couple of months to contact Banfield 1-866-277-7387 to cancel. They were actually very nice and took off half of the cost of the remainder of her contract and automatically set up to cancel the contract so I wouldn't have to call back. I think this was fair since I was using their services. I don't understand why people think they should be able to just stop whenever they feel like it, unless they are not using the service to begin with.
I miss my dog, but if I ever get a new one I would not hesitate to use Banfield again.
 13th of Oct, 2010 by    -2 Votes
We have two dogs under the wellness plan for 9 years and were relatively happy with it until July. We called to get an appointment to get our son's dog spade and specifically ask for the vet we have been dealing with for 12 years. We took the dog in at 8am and were told she should be ready around 4pm. Received a call later that they were busy and she wouldn't be ready until around 6pm. Then we got a call at 5pm saying they would be unable to do the operation that day and it would have to be rescheduled. Dog had been there all day and had not had food since the day before. I told them to cancel the insurance on our two dogs because that level of service was not acceptable and I did not want our dogs exposed to that type of treatment. Then after protesting the monthly credit card billing I learned that the insurance is not cancelable and the credit card company is obligated to collect the charge. Apparently they can treat dogs in any manner that they want to and a person is expected to pay their monthly insurance bill. Banfields bills are ridiculously over priced to make a person think they are getting a good deal. Comparing the bills to insurance payments would make a person wonder how they stay in business. I think there is evidence for a class action law suite which I plan to ask a lawyer friend to investigate. We also filed a complaint with the state veterinary department and have not yet received a reply and will look into filing a complaint with the state insurance commissioner.
 13th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
I failed to mention that the vet we ask for to spade our son's dog wasn't even working the day we were given the appointment.
 6th of Jan, 2011 by    -1 Votes
It appears that Banfield only holds you to the contract as long as there is a "balance" on your account. This balance is for the cost of services performed reflecting what they would have been sans you having the OWP. There are two ways to cancel your plan without a cancellation fee.
1. Wait until your monthly payments cover what you would have paid without the plan.
2. Wait until your current contract is up, call and request to cancel.
I just got off the phone with their customer service department who, because i have no "balance", allowed me to cancel with no termination fee. Since my contract auto renewed in October and I haven't used any services they even said they would refund the 4 previous payments!
This sounds pretty fair to me!
Be sure though, to cover your butt, that you get all promises in writing!
 21st of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have two dogs on Wellness Plans, and am very pleased with the services I've received. I was originally skeptical of signing up, but the convenience of stopping in while at Petsmart lurred me into signing up my first dog. I price checked services, vaccinations, and office visit prices at other local vets, and determined that Banfield is just as competitive, if not cheaper, pricewise than the local competition.

The big advantage of a Wellness Plan is that you get unlimited FREE office visits, so there's no hesitation to get your pet checked out when you suspect something is wrong. Unlike some others who have commented here, I have logged office visits where my balance was zero. There were no "extra" services pushed on me when I've been to Banfield with my dogs.

Additionally, I've never experienced long wait times with my dogs. In fact, I rarely even have to schedule an appointment. Most times I go to Banfiled, I just "walk in" with my dogs in addition to buying pet supplies at Petsmart.

Finally, let me address the "cant' cancel" complaints. The idea of the Wellness Plan is to prepay a discounted fixed annual amount for a specific set of vet services. This discounted prepayment can be payed in monthly installments for added convenience.

At my first vistit, the checkup, blood testing, vaccinations, etc. would have cost more than the entire total of the discounted annual plan over the course of 12 months. Therefore, if I attempt to cancel prior to renewal, then I would be responsible for paying the remainder of the discounted annual amount. Even if this was to occur, I already received the fair market value of services well in excess of the discounted price I would still be on the hook for. Why some people don't seem to understand this, is beyond me.

Have the same people who complain about cancelling their plans ever tried to cancel their annual cell phone contract? Try paying Verizon Wireless a $250 or higher cancellation fee if you want to break your contract early with them. With cell phone companies, the cancellation fee doesn't even cover services perviously performed. It's essentially a fine.

In contrast with Banfield, if you want to cancel, either pay the balance of the fair market value of previous services rendered, i.e, your "Account Balance" or payoff the remaining annual discounted cost of the plan. Either way, you are paying for services received. I don't understand why the complainers don't see that this is totally reasonable.
 5th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes

Banfield Hospital - service
Banfield Hospital
6932 E Hampton
Mesa
Arizona

Brought my Rottie in to have his face looked at. He ran into another dog and got a hematoma. The face was swollen and the eye looked infected. Took him in to be put on an antibiotic. I was told they would have to run some blood work because he is 8 yrs old and he might not tolerate the medicine. $480 dollars later I was told I could pick him up. The knocked him out to draw blood. I was told his blood work was fine other then his white blood count a little high but nothing major. They didn't think he had an infection but put him on antibiotics anyway. was told to bring him in in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I brough him back and was told the face looked better then it did but they wanted to take exrays or more blood work. I declined. I brought him back 2 weeks later on a Sunday because his face got swollen again and you could tell that he had another infection. They said they had to take xrays. I had to leave him for a few hours. They would try sedate him a little to take them if they couldn't they would again knock him out. At this point i was told it would be almost $500 or if I sign up for the wellness plan it would only cost $235 plus like $40 a month for the next year. This amount would have to be paid even if he died. About 4 hours later I got a call to come pick him up. Of course they knocked him out and it took 3 people to carry him into the car because he was still so sedated. I was told that I need to see an oncologist because they think it was cancer. I told them it is clearly infected again and was told the medicine wouldn't do any good. I took almost 4 days for him to start eating because of the trauma they did to his face taking xrays. I left in shock and took him home. I looked at my bill when I got home and saw that i was charged for stuff that wasn't even done to him. I t was what they would have passed through to the insurance if i took out that wellness policy. i beleive that is insurance fraud. I called on Wednesday and asked if I could please get medicine for him because his face was clearly infected. I asked for a Vet to return my call. I again called back on Thursday and said I never received a call and would like to talk to a Vet. I was told the Vet is in surgery and that I really need to take him to the oncologist for a biopsy. I asked for a return call. It is now 2 weeks later and i am still waiting for that return call. I have a friend who is a Vet and she was passing through our state to go home. She stopped by and looked at him. She started him on antibiotics. After 2 doses his face is almost back to normal. I will never go to a Banfield again and do my best to make sure I tell everyone about my experience with them.
 30th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened to me on the wellness plan. I did finally get them to reduce the amount by 50%, but still a giant rip-off. Burnt once your fault, burnt twice my fault. Never again.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree