Asset Recovery Associates

Fraud and scam

Asset Recovery Associates
On 9/30/08, a message was left on my voicemail at work at 6:31pm from a Michael Kennedy from ARA Associates. He said that his number is 888-310-1550, ext. 3076 and added, 'When you call, please refer to case #334089. This requires your attention immediately.'

Because he left such scant information, I ignored the call.

On 10/24/08, this Michael Kennedy left another message on my work voicemail at 11:02am. This time, he identified himself as being from Asset Recovery Associates. He gave me the same case number and phone number to call. He stated that there was 'going to be a decision soon that could have a very negative impact' on me. He added that he knew I was a working lady so he would be there from 8am until 12 noon on Saturday.

All of this sounded familiar to me because on August 21, 2006, I received a letter from Financial Credit Services with the same sort of message and instructions to call. I called, spoke to a Stacy King, and was told that they were trying to collect on a very old debt (I can't remember how old, but it was something like 18 or 20 years) owed by my ex-husband from whom I've been divorced for 23 years.

I was incredulous and said that I couldn't possibly be held liable for this and offered to give her my ex-husband's address and phone number. She insisted that since we were married when the debt was incurred, I was responsible and failure to pay would result in a report to the credit bureau and hurt my credit rating. She offered to let me settle the debt for a reduced sum ($165.00) and stated that if I did not do so on that day, I would have to pay the full judgment and my credit rating would be impacted.

Idiot that I was, I actually gave her my checking account information and agreed she could withdraw the funds electronically. Afterwards, I spoke to a friend about this and they told me I had been scammed. They had just heard about this scam from Clark Howard and told me that there was a statute of limitations on debt collection and what they were doing is illegal. I checked this out on Clark Howard's website and realized I had indeed been scammed.

I called Stacy King back, told her what I had discovered, said that I was stopping payment and would be reporting them to the FCC and BBB, threats I unfortunately never followed through on. On the next business day, I contacted my credit union to see if the funds had been withdrawn. They had not and I instructed them not to release the funds and to notify me if anyone tried to access them.

Because of that experience, I googled Asset Recovery Associates and found that - surprise! - they are also known as Financial Credit Services. I looked up the case number they gave me in 2006 and sure enough, #334089, the very same as given to me by Michael Kennedy on 9/30/08 and 10/24/08!

This time, I intend to make good on my threats of 2006 and then some!!
Complaint comments Comments (13) Complaint country United States Complaint category Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful?

17th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
I completely agree. We just got a notice from ARA today, saying we owed over seven thousand dollars! The envelope looked very familiar. Then I realized we have been duped by these people before, under the name Financial Credit Service or Services. I feel horrible, that I was taken in, I paid them that time. I even talked to them on the phone number they gave. It was a nice black lady that I talked to.

Anyone out there..don't be fooled like I was. I don't know what to do, but I suspect these people have raked in thousands of dollars. I hope I can find some way to get them put in jail, and stop ripping people off.

Everyone and anyone reading this, if you receive an envelope with a return address of ARA, it's fake. They even have a bogus website. All the pictures look like stock photos that anyone can use.

Please don't get fooled by these criminals.
 6th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes

I agree they are big scammers and I suggest folks be aware and escalate to nearest POLICE station if you receive any such Scant mail or phone calls from ARA or Financial Credit Services.
 20th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was almost scammed by this company also, talked with a Marie Keller from ARA and gave my checking account information to her for the "one chance only settlement offer" and to have them stop the court collection process that had been started. After I hung up with her and tried to track down this account my boss mentioned that hopefully it wasn't a scam. I plugged the name and address of the company into my search engine and low and behold there they were! I contacted my bank immediately and closed my account before they were able to get the money out, thankfully!
 8th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
Yes I was contacted by the same people. They insisted I owed a loan for a school i never attended.
 8th of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am receiving phone calls from this company stating that I owe on a charge card that was opened in 2000 and stopped paying on it in 2006, and I owe a balance of 1900.00, The person calling is very rude, and states he would report it to my credit report. I don't understand that if this bill was actually mine, why it has not shown up prior to now on my reports? 6 years later?
 16th of Sep, 2013 by    0 Votes
They're pestering us too for some debt that they found from years ago. My wife, being from Europe, almost feel for their "one time only opportunity" until we looked them up and found this site. Thank goodness we did! They were going to call back to get our bank account information. Now we know not to respond in any way, shape or form to them.
 18th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
I am receiving calls about an amount due to UOP for 433.00 but they will not send me verification thru the mail keep saying they sent an email nothing I refuse to pay until I have documentation of this debt and the amount agreed upon to settle it in writing threatened to have an attorney contact them . so tired of getting calls from them
 24th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
5/24/2015 I am a caregiver/companion for an eighty year old man and this company contacted me on my cell phone (don't know how they got it) wishing to speak to him. I told them he was unavailable and could I take a message. They proceeded to tell me that he owed 3, 555.78 on a debt that I figured was appx 15 years old if in fact was his. They said there was activity on it in 2008, I knew this was not possible because I check his credit every year and there was never a delinquent or late payment on this credit for many years. I have been paying his bills in a timely manner for years. I just blew them off. Next I receive a letter with some sort of silly notarized attachment that did not amount to anything other than the trash and requesting 3, 555.78 all went in trash. A few days ago they phoned again and were very threatening, they said if we did not pay this they would immediately put a freeze on his checking account. I claimed that they could not do that and they replied they can and will. I hung up! This company and it's personnel are a bunch of low life's, they lack education (if they are capable of learning) in the legal way of debt collecting. The part that worries me is they may be praying on elderly people and their MO is intimidation. Please, anybody that has, takes care of, relatives or neighbors that are elderly let them know to never, never send money or give checking accounts to anybody over the phone. These people need to be arrested and sent to prison. Do not give them the time or day, it's time wasted!
 30th of Sep, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Asset Recovery Association called me today they are such a scam do not give in to them, Ms Rhonda Middleton called from phone number 855-201-8979 ext 108 She called looking for someone else but had all my information threatening me about someone else debt like I am liable for someone else action but the stupid person had the nerve to leave threatening messages on my voicemail so I have my evidence to go after this company, She was saying we are going to be subpoenaed and that I need to get an attorney and I will be served and I have offically been notifed What? Is this legal for someone to contact you looking for someone else but obtained my personal information some kind of way ? I will let my attorney handle this first thing tomorrow morning . Please be aware!
 11th of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
I got contacted by the same company today big scam
 11th of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
I got contacted by the same company of friday big scam
 15th of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
I also was contacted by the same company and they also had all my information. 1st time was in March 2015 telling me there was a legal action against me for fraud. Supposedly I had taken out an online account to receive money back in July of 2012 and had all my personal information including last 4 digits of my social and bank account number. They said that the account was for 455 and was deposited into my bank account July 19, 2012. I immediately hung up with them and contacted my bank and explained to them the phone call I received and had them go back to that date the money was supposedly deposited and there was no deposit of such. The funny thing is even tho they had my personal information the email address was not mine. So I let it go and threw it off as a scam. Later on I received a voicemail that was left on my phone telling there was legal action taking out on me and needed my current address so they can serve me papers and said they will either serve me at home or work and right before she hung up she said that i have officially been served. I thought how can you be officially served from a voicemail..Well on September 31, 2015 I received a call From my county clerk of courts office and she said that i had a judgement for fraud against me and papers were being filed at there office and gave me a phone # 855-201-8979 and a case# CV166305-04 and told me when I call them to give them the case#. NOW when I seen that the call was from my county clerk of courts office It scared the crap out of me. So I called to see what was going on and it was for that very same account that I took out. I told them I never took out such a account and that I would never get an online account, and there was no money ever deposited into my bank and I can get bank statements to prove it. Greg Davis said that he was the arbitrator and said that the paper work was already started and said that they had enough against me to follow through with filing the papers at this time and the only way that they could stop the process is if I made a payment to them right then. Now seeing the first call was from my county clerk of courts and not thinking clearly at that time I gave him my debit card info and paid them 25 dollars at that time and he scheduled payments for me through November til I had the debt paid off in full. After we hung up and I finally cleared my head I went online and started researching this company and I found a website http://www.agrussconsumerlaw.com/asset-recovery-associates/ and I had an online chat with one of their operators whom I explained my situation to and she immediately had an associate call me. The associate told me I was being scammed and to immediately cancel out my debit card and I did so the following Monday because the next payment would have automatically came out on that following Friday. So now Yesterday October 14th I received a call from a different number 855-202-3142 ext 207 from a Maria with ARA asking for me. There has got to be something we can do to stop all these bogus harassing calls and I'm still wondering how I received a call from my county clerk of courts when I'm being scammed???
 20th of Oct, 2015 by    0 Votes
I received a call under the name "private call" to my cell phone twice today saying a lot and i heard the part court and already get anxious. Then i choose a quiet time and call them back. First they said the lady that called me is in court and she will call me back, then i called the number right back and another guy answered and put me through a lady. She said I have a judgement against me because i got a short term money and did not pay it. They said i did give the owner a electronic check, it bounced and they have no trace of it but i owe this money (which cannot be true because the way I set my account at my Credit Union they have to pay everything comes to my account). These people knew everything about me, address, email, work number, cell number, SSN. I am speechless but told them to go ahead and send me the paperwork, that will be more paper for me to trace them and get them to justice for making me so scared and anxious.

Asset Recovery Association, Inc. Logo Asset Recovery Association, Inc.
Customer Care Service