logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Hobby King
I did not recieve the product
2. (0 mins ago)
Onetravel.com
Scam
3. (4 mins ago)
My Supernova.com
promises not carried out, unprofessional
4. (11 mins ago)
hoonartek.com
They took too much money from me
5. (19 mins ago)
Gold Rush 1849
Misleading Job Description-Possible Scam (Be careful!)

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Amana

Posted:    angela52376

Washing Machine NAV2330AWW

Illinois
We bought this washer in June of 2005. We decided on an Amana because it was a well known brand and the price was decent since we were getting a bit of a break buying all new appliances for the kitchen as well (not Amanas by the way) Now we know why the salesman gave us a break...to get rid of a piece of junk! This washer went belly up after exactly 4 years. I went to wash a load of laundry and it filled up fine but then when it got to the agitate cycle it just started grinding and vibrating and the agitator was not turning. We called in a repairman that told us that it was the transmission. The transmission has a ten year warranty so it was still covered, however, in order to change the transmission, a seal kit must be changed that is NOT covered and costs around $100 plus you have to pay for labor. The estimate for repair was $286, which is almost only $100 less than we paid for the machine new 4 years ago! What a rip off! Now we still have to pay a $50 service charge even though we're not getting it repaired. We called customer service at Amana and after being put on hold for almost 30 minutes (the entire call took 45) my husband detailed the situation to the representative and pointed out to her that the "warranty" on the transmission was essentially worthless since the seal kit was not being covered making the repair cost compared to the price new 4 years ago not worth it. All they would offer us was 15% off a new AMANA appliance. NO WAY! First of all, 15% is a crap offer when you have to replace a major appliance after only 4 years and second, why would we buy another Amana when we got a piece of junk from them before with a worthless warranty? The ironic thing is that a 15% discount would probably be about the same price out of their pocket as the seal kit so why not just cover the seal kit and keep your customers happy? Doesn't make sense to me. When they would not offer anything else, my husband asked them if what they wanted was for us to "go away and never buy another Amana (or Maytag since they are both owned by the same company now) appliance ever again and tell everyone we know to stay away from them" and essentially the answer was yes. Stay away from Amana. After this I have read reviews on other sites on not just their washers but other appliances and they seem to get very low reviews and are JUNK. Now our family of 5 including a 6 month old baby must do without a washing machine until we can save up the money for a new one after only getting 4 years of service from the Amana. We live on a strict budget and one income as I am a stay at home mom so I don't know when we'll have the money to replace Amana's piece of junk.

We had a washing machine before this one that was a hand me down from a friend that was already 17 years old when we got it and we had it an additional 4 years and never had a problem with it. I believe it was a Whirlpool. The only reason we bought a new one was that we were moving and decided not to take our appliances with us since it was a long distance move. I wish we had brought that old washer with us. It would probably still be working today! Only getting 4 years out of a washing machine is BS.
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Why Smart People Do Dumb Things