Alside Window

Posted:

Fraud

Alside Window
We have a new home with Alside windows installed by the builder. They leak so much cold air that we can't even sit by them because of the amount of cold air that infiltrates thru the window frame. We have frost and ice on the inside of our window frames almost all winter long. They will not return my email messages so we can set up a time for them to come out and look at the problem. We are getting very frustrated by their lack of cooperation. We feel since we are supposed to have a life time warranty that they should at least come out and see what the problem is.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Window & Door Installation
Was the above complaint useful?
More Alside Window Complaints & Reviews
Alside Window - Fail Time After Time

Comments

2nd of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I am a contractor that sold 5 twin alside casement windows in 2001. These windows have leaked water for years and I constantly caulked and they still continued to leak water. I squirt tested the windows and the water came in under the window and that usually is not a window problem but a caulk problem. So we caulked more. It only leaked of course when there was a strong hard rain. I decided to tear out the drywall around the window and the squirt test the windows. The water was coming in the center of the twin casements; this is called the mull. I ordered the windows factory mulled so obviously I would consider this to be a factory problem. The homeowner wanted to file the complaint so I had the Alside factory rep come out to see the problem, take pictures, and get the warranty complaint going. The rep agreed the problem was the center mull. Leter came back to homeowner claim denied. No phone number, no address and no signiture on the leter. So I called and talked to an engineer. He said it sounded like a mull problem so he sent me a new center mull strip and told me to take out the old strip, recaulk, and install the new strip they sent. Gave the part to the window installer and he said no way he was going to be responsible for removing a factory installed part. Homeowner called the warranty department and they said claim denied, claim denied, claim denied.
 4th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
My husband bought new( slider)windows for 4 bedrooms in 2005. We have frost and ice on them most of the winter too. They told us we have to much humidity in our house and that is the problem. We have the same brand windows in the rest of the house and do not have a problem with frost or ice on any of those. Just the slider bedroom windows. We have ice even when the humidity level is 25% or less. It's winter, I like some moisture in my air so my skin doesn't itch! I got warranty claim form, which requires information from a sticker that is suppose to be on the windows in the upper right corner of the window. I have not found any such sticker. I was not here when the were installed, I assume of course this would be on the inside of the frame, NOT on the window it's self.
If I could redo my choices for windows it would not be with Alside windows!
The installers did a real sloppy job on the Kitchen window. I sent the off pictures showing the damage and Never got a response. We are lucky we didn't have tile back splash in the kitchen, they damaged the trim around the window and had to replace it, leaving gaps between the trim and the back splash. They damaged the wall and the paint above the window as well.
My husband just got off the phone from company, they are sending someone out next week, and the salesman says we Never called him on the issue.
 9th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Most people just do not understand how much water vapor accumulates in their house during winter.The water vapor comes from cooking, bathing,
laundry, washing, cleaning, doing dishes and ourselves.
During winter when the house is all closed up and when homeowners have added new siding, roofing and windows with all the added insulation, houses are more sealed up than ever. They are not as drafty as before all the improvements. Air flow is the key as is ventilation. Use exhaust fans, air out the house daily, open curtains so that air can flow around the windows, make use of a dehumidifier if possible.
Windows are not air tight.The moisture in the house is drawn towards the outdoors. It shows up on your windows and you can see it however it is also on all your exterior surfaces.
Reduce the humidity and ventilate your houses!
 9th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
You have a computer. Use it to inform yourself about condensation.
 10th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am experiencing the same problems.
Frost, wind howling around the sashes, latches not lined up, broken screens, bugs and debris crawl around screens.
Match blew out next to window. It was by the sash. Humidity was not a problem. I did a test. Frost is evident of poor seals. Moisture/ condensation acceptable. NOT frost.
Windows are noisy, cold air comes through the glass.
Difficult to maintain.
Service: There is none. Many scheduled appointments have been cancelled last minute with excuses.
I am very unhappy.
The aluminum wrap is of poor quality. It scratches easily and hold dirt.
I have never experienced such woe as these hoes!
 10th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
photos will be posted soon
 5th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
Yea their suppoed Lifetime Warranty against product failure and window breakage is a scam! That is what they tell you when you are purchasing their products but when you have a claim for either/or they start spouting limited lifetime warranty and oh you have no window breakage coverage. And they are a very inferior product-they leak air, they lose their low-e constantly and the customer service is non-existant. Once they have your money-they could give a crap about being honest and standing behind their product-which translation--no repeat business-and I will make sure they will get no new business from anyone I know and I will post on social media(which will reach people I don't even know) not to ever deal with this company-they lie and don't stand behind their guarantees--at all.
 6th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
Based on the number of complaints, the failure to get warranties handled properly (decline and appeal rates should be evaluated for the past few years), the fact that the lifetime warranty only included the first owner prior to 2008 (particularly in the light that first-time construction owners retain their homes for an average of five years), fraud and it's implication should be investigated. Is anyone aware of a class-action lawsuit against Alside or the involvement of the attorney general? This is a publicly traded company and should be held to higher standards. I think it's time to take these systemic issues to the next level. Can anyone give me some additonal info (i.e. Has a social website been established on Facebook to get more involvement?)
 6th of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
had bad window glass replaced because the seal was bad. talked and sent the Warranty department the bill paperwork the wanted a cancled check that showed i was not lying. so the said they would send me a check but they never sent it.
the siding i had replaced with hardy board
 5th of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am a contactor who has been replacing windows for 35 yrs. I have used many different windows either on my own jobs or for other contractors and I have to say that Alside windows no matter which model, are the best I have ever used. If I have any problems with their windows which is rare, I find their service to be the best of any of the companys I have used.On an average year I replace about 300 windows and everyone I work for loves their Alside windows. Maybe these people who are complaining would stop feelin drafts if they shut their windows all the way or didn't have them installed by someone who doesn't know what they're doing and saving a dime.
 6th of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes
These guys from alside crack me up. They are posting here to make theirselves look good and make people think their windows are good. They are not top of the line and they buy them in bulk from a cheeply made window maker and sell them. I have had all kinds of problems with mine and they even came out and replaced them 3 times. Now they wont even send someone out because they cant fix their junk windows. I now have to replace the pins on the windows so they wont fall down and break the whole window. Alside has junk and they have every excuse in the book for their junk. Its not the humidity its the windows.
 29th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
I have had Alside windows for 4 years now. Sooner State Siding and Windows represented that these windows were the best on the market and have a lifetime warranty. Every window Installed which is an Alside window is sagging. The grids inside the window are un-even and everyone of them leak around the seals. We literally have to dust daily and my families allergies are awful.So far all i get is an excuse and awaiting a decision from their corporate office to send out a repair technician. It sounds like a class action lawsuit could be brought against Alside, which I am looking into today.
 27th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
If I knew about all these complaints I would never bought these windows. I'm so unhappy with these windows. I have had Alside windows for 8 years. This lifetime warranty is bullshit.It's bad communication when you can't get noone from the company to come out to look at the problem without telling you it will cost you $125.00. My windows are the wrong sizes they measure wrong and had to reorder.Now they leak and have condensation between the double window. I will report them to the BBB.
 24th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
I believe the response about the leaky windows. I have been working with Alside to resolve the issue for 3 years. They aren't very helpful to resolve the issue it is always not a manufacture defect or condensation. I believe these windows have a problem with leakage and they won't won up to it. I hope no one will have to go thru the heart ache that I have encountered.. Hoping in my old age that this would solve the leaky windows. The old windows functioned a lot better than the new ones. I am sure sorry to have purchased this product.
 5th of Mar, 2014 by    0 Votes
We replaced our old windows with alside ultimate 2000's in 2009, last winter we noticed substantial condensation, this winter the condensation was worse and we experienced ice on the inside of the glass. A rep from the manufacturer is supposed to come look, we'll see.
 13th of Oct, 2014 by    0 Votes
We replaced 35 windows with Alside windows in 2004, the first winter we noticed our home was colder than other years, we thought it should have been the other way around. We noticed by second year a good ten percent of the windows started building spots like asterisk on the glass and spreading quickly within a few month. The first couple time they came in and replaced the bad windows but the third time when I called to have them to coming to replace a bunch more of bad windows I was told that I have to get some one to replace the windows and they wont do it any more. I did so. By sixth year 40 percents of the windows have been replaced. In 2014 I have another 12 damaged windows that need to be replaced the funny thing is some of these windows that are bad they have been replaced once, this shows how bad this company is managed. They don't give a damn about customers, I don't think they have any clue what manufacturing quality, service is. I have noticed many complains and bad review about this company but no action from us, the consumers, let sue the company so they won't keep on doing to us and the new customers. Please any advise how to get this process going.
 8th of Nov, 2014 by    0 Votes
My personal experience with Alside...

Alside casement windows are pure and simple JUNK... All 6 original installed windows had manufacturing defects from day one. All 6 casements were replaced under warranty. The replacement casement windows were NO better. The problem is air leakage due to poor sealing gaskets. Alside manufacturing stated "it meets our manufacturing standards" What a joke... Do not purchase Alside casement windows under any circumstances. They produce a sub-standard product.

The top of their line casement windows are actually the bottom of the barrel. Remember, you get what you pay for... Cheap quality vinyl...

If I could afford it, I would have these garbage Alside windows removed, pour a gallon of gasoline on them, light them up, and record a you-tube video.
 3rd of Mar, 2015 by    0 Votes
I had all the windows in my home replaced in 2001 . I now have two windows with bad seals I called their representative I purchased the windows from. They told me the seals had failed. I located the numbers and sizes as requested they order the replacements. When they came in I was told there would be a charge of $155.00 and further if they delivered and installed them it would cost another $149.00. I was told it was past ten years that is why there was a charge. My original documents make no mention of 10 years it says limited lifetime warranty. Because I did nothing to cause the failure I fell they should be replaced free like the salesman said at the time of purchase. Once again in I don't see how you can call it lifetime warranty. I would never purchase any alside product again. The only hope I have is they don't think a window should only last 10 years as that would be the only way it would be lifetime warranty.
 5th of Mar, 2015 by    0 Votes
I can tell you all we are a 64 year old window specialty company, and with 64 years and 4 generations of professional industry knowledge both in sales and installation, I can tell you Alside is the best window to deal with. the only time you will ever have an issue with an alside window is if it is installed incorrectly. Yes this happens all the time. the first mistakes is allowing a carpenter to install a window they are not trained i know they all think they are, I am not argue all you, this is coming from 64 years of experience. so please stop. secondly new homes built with builder grade windows and that is exactly what they are, they are designed to look pretty until the builder gets paid. these windows are not built to preform nor were the meant to. Stop blaming alside for bad windows, the builder stiffed you not alside and carpenters, please stop trying to play window installer and step back and allow a full time window crew to do the job. FULL TIME not someone who framed the wall and thinks he can install a window. remember 64 years of experience, I know this will upset alot of carpenters and guys who think they are installers, but the fact is I am tired of seeing negative comments about alside windows, when in the last 20 years we have not had a single complaint. not one.
 10th of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
As I read through these complaints, I can't help but wonder if many of the problems are indicative of installer incompetence. You can have the best windows in the world, but if you have a subcontractor who has no clue what he's doing, you will have disastrous results.

Also, Alside makes all grades of windows, from D to AAA. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that some folks bought lower grade windows to replace older ones in their homes. But the lower grade windows are supposed to be used for new construction, not for permanent replacement.

Think of it this way. Firestone makes all types of tires, such as the "Affinity Touring, " the "Precision Sport, " and the "Firehawk GT." So, if you have a lousy mechanic, or if you are driving on tires not suited for your vehicle, you can complain about the tires or the manufacturer. But your complaints are misdirected.

I'm not saying that this is the case across the board. Every company is going to have problems, make mistakes, etc. My point is that some of the negative comments inappropriately demonize the company when blame lies elsewhere.

Alside Logo Alside