logo

Zenni Optical
27 Sunny Oaks Dr.
San Rafael, California
zennioptical.com
I purchased two pair of glasses from Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com). When I recieved them I found that one pair was good while the other pair was distorted in the right lens. I immediately called the Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com) customer service and was informed that I needed to return the defective pair for inspection. I promptly returned Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com) as instructed. After not receiving a response for approximately three weeks and not receiving any answers from phonecalls to Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com)customer service, I received and email stating that the glasses were not defective and I would need to pay $4.95 to have them shipped back to me or be refunded only 50% of the purchase price. I immediately Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com) called customer service inquiring about the email and they said the same thing. Once I mentioned that the other pair I received was fine, Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com) seemed confused and requested that I respond to the email. After responding with this information, Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com)requested that I send back my GOOD pair so that they could compare. When I asked for another alternative due to the fact that I am wearing the other pair and need them to see, Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com) would not do anything and again said that I could pay $4.95 to have them shipped back to me (as is) or I could be refunded 50% of the purchase price. Needless to say, after being both patient and cordial and dealing with this situation for over a month, I informed Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com) that I would be complaining about their business and would not be a customer in the future. I hope to receive my 50% refund, but I have my doubts. Basically, Zenni Optical (zennioptical.com) took approximately $25 and I received nothing in return. DON'T BUY FROM ZENNI OPTICAL! YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Feb, 2009 by   Kim -2 Votes
I understand that your situation is frustrating but considering how little you paid for your glasses what did you expect? Personally I am willing to put up with a little poor customer service in order to save hundreds of dollars on my glasses (I spent $800 on 4 pairs last year)!
 9th of Feb, 2009 by   gkissez +1 Votes
Do NOT use this company! The employees are hateful-- non-helpful and disrespectful!

They took our money over 7 weeks ago, promising delivery within 2 weeks.

STILL NO PRODUCT

This is a SCAM ---Buyer BEWARE--- do NOT use Zenni Optical!!!
 11th of Feb, 2009 by   barry goldberg +1 Votes
2-12-09
I ordered from Zenni Optical on !2/27/08...Zenni told me that they in Calif. reveived the eyeglasses on 12/2/08. I have yet to receive them! They have come up with every excuse in the book. The best excuse was that US customs held up over 4, 000 pair at the port. Then Zenni re-ordereod them...they told me they shipped them out, but didn't have any type of tracking # as the US post office made a mistake. I still don't have the glasses (10 weeks after I ordered them)...they have offered me 50% refund. I asked them why I should pay 50% for somthing I never received and they said "take it or leave it" ... I called my credit card company and they have credited me the entire emount. Paying for something and getting nothing in return is against the law. I have since called the Calif. dept of consumer affairs and they have a file on Zenni, as do the US post office, and the US dept of customs...BOTTOM LINE IS DON'T ORDER FROM ZENNI
 12th of Feb, 2009 by   MossGlen -1 Votes
Scam!
We ordered glasses Jan. 3, 2009. They are not delivered yet. Each week another excuse. Each week a promise we will see them by the end of the week or we will see a tracking number by the next day. None of these has yet to happen. Don't risk your money! They don't deliver, just promise. The 800 number is so jammed that you have to try many times just to get in the hold que which takes 16 to 25 minutes to get through to get another excuse.
 14th of Feb, 2009 by   Lisa 0 Votes
I ordered three pairs of the $8.00 glasses with shipping for $28.95. I ordered on 1/24/2009 and got them on 2/14/2009. They were perfect, no damage they appear to be my perscription (I can see, but I didn't go to the eye doctor to double check). They came in a bubble envelope with a hard protective case for each one. I'm exceedingly happy with my purchase. Delivery did take longer than 10 days, but it's an excellent trade to the money I saved.
 17th of Feb, 2009 by   ricardo garcia -1 Votes
Use Zenni optical; great product, no delivery issues, no quality issues, extremely competitive pricing.

I ordered and received 3 high-quality pair of glasses for $60 (total for the three) in about 2-1/2 weeks. No issues.

The prices are very low and the purchase is very low risk. Do the math! Other outlet stores are selling their product at 1, 000% markup.

This is a no-brainer; I would recommend this people to anybody.

R. Garcia, Oldsmar, FL
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by   bantling14 +1 Votes
I ordered from Zenni also. Still no glasses. They gave me the same lame excuse about a customs mix up. Since my glasses were "in stock" at the time of the order, what were they waiting for that customs was involved? As far as I know, shipping from California to Illinois does not require customs. I think I will go thru Better Business Bureau and then have the charge reversed on my credit card.
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by   Fight Back 0 Votes
Hello to all of you that have been scammed by zenni! This is what you do-if you do not receive your glasses in a timely manner-keep track of when you have called them. If they do not get your glasses to in the time frame they say call your credit card company and ask for a charge back for goods not received. When you receive their glasses DO NOT ACCEPT THEM-take it to post office UNOPENED and write return to sender or REFUSED! Don't take their terrible service or their CRAPPY return policy. GET YOUR MONEY BACK and buy from Goggles4U. They are much more reputable.

I am so angry at all there customer service. IDIOTS! Took over month to get a simple Rx. Sent their crap back.
 3rd of Mar, 2009 by   Alice 0 Votes
I too ordered my glasses on 1/3/09. I didn't receive them until mid February. I called and was given the same excuse-- that a shipment of over 4, 000 was held up in customs and instead of waiting to get that shipment through, my glasses were being re-made and re-sent to me. To Zenni's credit, three days later I received a shipment confirmation from Hong Kong (the glasses are contracted out and manufactured overseas in China). Three days after the e-mail confirmation, my glasses arrived in the mail. They are wonderful, and I've had many, many compliments on them. It took six weeks; however, I only paid $12.95 total for them (that includes shipping!). Honestly, the people on the phone were really nice (despite my frustration at the time). I'm about to order a second, back-up pair. I'd like to give them another try.
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   lbc 0 Votes
3/24/09. For Zenni Optical: My order id # is: 533720. I wrote 3 emails and phone twice. Not even a single phone call back or any response. I am very dissapointed with such a bad service. Definitely you will loose a lot of customers by doing this bad service. I'll try great eyeglasses.com now. People who want to order to Zenni, please be careful. You might be dissapointed like me. Very Very Disspointed. Not Strongly recommended to new customers or repeated customers. STAY AWAY. I'm just so frustrated here...
 5th of Apr, 2009 by   SouthShoreMom 0 Votes
I have ordered seven pairs of glasses from zenni for myself, my husband, my son, and my inlaws. The first ones I ordered I took to my optometrist office who kindly verified that they were made correctly to my perscription. They do take several weeks to arrive, but considering my son's first pair of glasses from lenscrafters cost $500 (he is 8) I do not mind the slow service when I am only paying $8/pair. I am just about to go online and purchase perscription sunglasses for us. Even if they screwed a pair up they will refeund half of the price...which is clearly stated on the website. You are saving HUNDREDS of dollars. Honestly there is no pleasing some people.
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   nancy lorraine +2 Votes
I ordered from Zenni on 3-1-09. The glasses were due to arrive by 3-15 or sooner. It's April 6th, and still no glasses. I called several times. The first time I reached a very helpful and nice person, who said they were held up in customs but should be to me my March 31st. That didn't happen. I've called and emailed several times since then with no success in reaching a rep. The phone message I get says there are no reps available and the message machine can't take any more messages. I received no response from my emails. Waiting a long time is one thing, but not getting a response at all is another. I'll try a different company next time.
 8th of Apr, 2009 by   Lindsay 0 Votes
That's interesting. I have ordered glasses from Zenni three times over the last three years, and every time I have received my glasses within 2-3 weeks. I understand your frustration, I would be frustrated too, but I am pretty sure that Zenni is not a scam. My glasses are fully functional and are just as described. They probably just lost your order or something.

I haven't had any of the customer service problems that these other folks have mentioned. Once, I even forgot where I kept my prescription, so I e-mailed Zenni to see if they still had a record of it, and they e-mailed it to me within a week. Maybe Zenni is just poorly staffed and experiences infrequent but very busy order periods.
 9th of Apr, 2009 by   Tree Hugger +1 Votes
I don't think Zenni is a scam, but I also don't think you can trust them any more. They seem to be overwhelmed or having severe pipeline issues. I have had a holdup myself recently with details that resemble those of the other complainers here.

The bigger problem is that the service reps can't seem to be honest about the problems. They told me things that misled me into trusting them further. If they were simply honest about their problems, then I might cut them more slack because in the end the glasses are inexpensive. Unfortunately, in the end, they need to deliver something for the money given to them. Otherwise, I go to Visa and dispute the charges for goods undelivered.
 12th of Apr, 2009 by   dam 0 Votes
I ordered two pairs of riding goggles. They arrived a couple weeks late but so be it. The issue is that the optical insert on both of them shattered after 3 uses (with very careful handling because you could see the stress cracks in the plastic emerging over time). I have tried to contact Zenni with no response -- sent pictures of the shattered inserts as well as where there are cracks formed but not yet split all the way through. Very disappointing.

It is clear that chinese manufacturer (the goggles arrived directly via DHL from China) used inappropriate plastic that could not sustain the stress of having the lenses press fit into it.

Very disappointing. What's the point of saving money when the result doesn't work at all ?
 16th of Apr, 2009 by   Absolutely Disguted in MD +1 Votes
I'm having the same problem - I ordered glasses on 3/1/09 and still have yet to receive them. I have been given 6 different excuses on why I have not received them. Funny thing is, 2 times I was told they were on there way - yet no glasses! Yes, they are cheap and yes I read that they may be held up in customs, but this is riduculous! You can't tell me it takes almost 2 months to get these glasses, when others seem to get them on time. I don't buy it!
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   no rockefeller -2 Votes
got what i ordered, seems ok.
 29th of May, 2009 by   Lewis Sense +2 Votes
Similar problem here. I had previously owned two pair of Zenni eyeglasses and they were perfect. I ordered three new pair and received them in less than 3 weeks. Two of the pair were optically perfect (sunglasses), but the third pair was unusable. There were odd distortions in both lenses - if you looked at something and moved your head up or down, the object went in and out of focus rapidly. I contacted Zenni and was told to return the suspected defective pair. After 3 weeks or so, I heard from them that there was nothing wrong with the lenses - they were "within the acceptable tolerance". I asked about refund options and was told I could pay to have them returned to me as-is, or they would refund 50% of my cost, and I chose the 50% refund. Weeks went by with no refund. I called a couple of days ago and was told they'd issue the credit immediately. Of course, that has not been done. I was a good customer of Zenni and brought them many new customers over the past 2 years. They clearly have problems in producing lenses sometimes and have no concept of customer service. The price is low, but the results is a crap-shoot. I got stung once in 5 pair of eyeglasses. If you must order from them, decide first whether or not you can afford this risk.
 6th of Jul, 2009 by   ultravox 0 Votes
I have ordered twice from Zenni and been perfectly satisfied both times. The first time I ordered an $8 pair; the second time I ordered three pairs, including one pair of sunglasses. I was very pleased with all the glasses. They were delivered within two weeks of ordering.

Read the fine print before ordering anything from any company. If you pay with a credit card, you have options & rights through your credit card company if not satisfied with your purchase.

Considering that I used to pay well over $100 for glasses on top of what my vision insurance covered, I feel that $12.95 is absolutely worth the risk. I will continue to use Zenni. I've recommended them to others who also have been very happy with their glasses.
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   Yammi 0 Votes
I just got this email...

The delivery of your order of eyeglasses has been temporarily delayed, due to a Customs' inspection, but we expect their release shortly. Any shipment of items being imported into the US may be inspected on a random basis, at any time. This inspection is beyond the control of Zenni Optical, and these occasional delays are indicated in the General Information on the home page of the website, the subheading "Production /Shipping.”

Your order should arrive shortly.

Thank you for your patience and your patronage.

Whats gonna happen now?????

Tips to Consumers on Avoiding Online Diploma Scams