logo

Posted:    A!!

advertising scam

Allyson Farrell
California
I thought I was making a correction in a free listing. However I did not read the fine print and it was for a listing with Yellow pages United from Atlanta GA
I would like to cancel the order but they state I am obligated to pay. How do I complain. They misrepresent themselves. I would like to either not pay or negotiate a payment and not have the service. If I am obligated to pay for my stupidity I would like to know what I can do and not have them damage my credit or accrue additional late fees or service fees. Do you have any advice where to complain or what to do. I would appreciate your help.

A. Farrell
Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Apr, 2010 by   woodroad +2 Votes
We fell for this too, from Yellowpages United from Atlanta. We foolishly returned the "update your information" card also and received an invoice. I went to their website (www.yellowpagesunited.com) and canceled our account there using the invoice number and our zip code. It seemed to work and said that our balance was zero. I had to give them an email address, though (used one I don't mind getting junk in). Also, be sure to check the box saying "Do not mail" as I also got confirmation that we would be removed from their mailing list. The emails sent as confirmation were extremely unprofessional with typos. We will see if it works. We won't be paying them anyway.
 31st of May, 2011 by   melissacruz_29 0 Votes
I feel duped, I too thought I was just updating our yellow pages information and was floored when I saw this ridiculous bill for $396.00 For a service that is free on every search engine. I find this business practice to be totally unethical and I am shocked that the BBB or some government organization has not stepped in to shut down a company who uses deception and the cover of a reputable company like the true yellow pages to market itself. I have cancelled my account like the previous post suggested and printed copies of everything that they have given me and there so-called confirmations. Hopefully this is the end of this scam, but I will not pay a cent and would rather invest my time and money and bring foward a class action lawsuit. Good Luck to you all who have had to endure this headache. melissacruz@lamichoacanapaletas.com
 17th of Aug, 2011 by   Linn G +1 Votes
I received many of those "verification" requests and very nearly signed and returned one
thinking it was from Yellowbook. I called Yellow Pages United and spoke with "Jason" who was rude and kept talking over me not allowing me to complain about the mailers. When he told me that Dunn and Bradstreet were responsible to remove me from the mailing list, I raised my voice and informed "Jason" that by law, ANY company sending out solicitations has the individual reaponsibility to delete names from their list upon request or demand. "Jason" told me that he was terminating the call, but he did not AFTER I informed him that I would call the Attorney General if he did, and demanded to speak with supervisor. "kim" got on and behaved in the same rude defensive way as "Jason" but did agree to remove my company's name from the list. I told her that Jason had lied to me about not being able to delete the name from their files and that such false claims are illegal. I filed a complaint with the Atlanta BBB. By the way, a BBB rating is NOT a true indication of a company's worth; one can earn an A+ with the BBB by paying membership dues and addressing the complaints it receives. How do you resolve false advertising?

Should You Insure Your Wedding?

Latest Groups