logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
BSJY CO LTD BEIJING CN
Seller ignores me and doesn’t deliver order
2. (19 mins ago)
Payout checque

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

World's Foremost Bank, a division of Cabelas, Lincoln, Nebraska Complaints & Reviews - Credit Card acct management practices

World's Foremost Bank, a division of Cabelas Contacts & Informations

4800 NW 1st Street Suite 202
Lincoln, Nebraska
Phone: (402) 323-4400
cabelas.com
First, as general information about World's Foremost Bank, it is a wholely owned subsidiary of the Cabela's retail store, catalog, and online sales operation. Unlike other companies, Cabelas actually owns the bank that issues its own credit cards. This isn't like a Sears card that is issued by CitiBank.

Next, Cabelas primarily (almost exclusively) uses credit reporting information from Equifax and DOES NOT use all three (plus Experian and Transunion) and then average them together. So if your Equifax score is lower than Experian or Transunion, your credit with them will not be as good. This is assuming that your information with Equifax is accurate as well because they will update or even verify any credit information without pulling a report which counts as a "hard hit" on your credit record.

Equifax information is considered significantly more important than your own account history with this bank. Meaning if you have a good history with them, but have inaccurate or negative information with another bank, it DOES NOT factor into actions they take on your account.

Lastly, and this is the basis for my complaint, by the admission of several representatives of the bank, they "are a small bank" and this is their excuse/explanation of why they can't or won't offer any customer service.

Over the last several months, Cabelas and their bank has demonstrated a pattern of conduct that indicates to me that my business is not important to them. They have always received every cent that I charged plus interest and any associated fees. There has NEVER been an issue of non-payment, but this isn't important to them.

On several occasions over the last 6 months, I have received letters saying that my credit limit is being reduced. Coincidentally, it was always right after I made a payment and my balance less than or starting to approach less than 50% of my limit. But then they would reduce my limit making my card appear "maxed out" which is a "negative factor" on a credit score. This happened again when I paid off nearly 90% of my balance and they lowered my limit to just a few dollars above my balance. The credit reporting agencies don't care that the amount is relatively low, it just shows that I have a card where the balance is at the limit.

My limit is now nearly at Cabela's own account minimum credit limit. The fact that at one time I had a credit limit that was over 30 TIMES what is now is meaningless.

The Cabelas card is also a "points card" where you earn points towards their merchandise. They are earned at a rate of 1 cent for every dollar put on the card, 2 cents for every purchase made at Cabelas. They also keep a running total of your points. I currently have over $700 in points if that is any indication of what kind of customer that I am, that equates to over $70, 000 in purchases that have been paid for.

The sad part is that I really like Cabelas and their merchandise. I used my Cabelas club card as my primary card just so that I could earn points. I even used it for automated payments for things I would have written a check for normally like utilities. Either way, they made a fair amount of money from me via interest and such.

I know the economy is in a sad state and banks are failing left and right and I can understand wanting to protect your business. But why do they have to damage to my credit history every time.

I'm sorry, but the Cabela's Club just doesn't feel like much of a club anymore.
Comments United States Credit Cards
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Dec, 2008 by   Angie +1 Votes
How often did they send these letters? I got one yesterday saying it had reduceded it to a certain amount and then got another one today reducing it even more. What the heck??? We have never been late with them. I am really starting to worry...
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   G. Grier +1 Votes
I did miss a payment, but it was promptly paid.
I was very disappointed with the harassing phone calls from 8 am to 9pm on weekens and holidays.

I understand the economy is struggling and they have seen their share of unpaid balances, but to harass a loyal customer with a low balance of $300 that has a good credit history is very poor business practice. You will lose my families business and many more.

G. Grier
 1st of Feb, 2009 by   EJake 0 Votes
Same boat. Never missed a payment. Always paid in full. Rarely, if ever, had to pay any interest or late fees. I had the card since 1999. They cancelled my card. When I called and asked why, they said it was because of a $48 outstanding payment on a BP card. (I resolved that account a month earlier but it was still on my credit report) I explained that to them. I also explained that BP was happy now, and that the $48 was outstanding (for a whopping 2 months) because they hadn't sent a statement since we moved our offices.

I also explained that I had their card for nearly 10 years, owed them nothing, and never missed a payment. She said that was "immaterial." Oh but a $48 payment to BP is!

My credit limit was $11, 000. I had over $400 in points this year, but that didn't matter.

I felt like they were saying "Take your business elsewhere, jerk."

So I shop at Gander Mountain now.

EJ
Ohio
 4th of Feb, 2009 by   Kev 0 Votes
I'm not going to say that the previous comments were illigit, but i have been extremely happy with my cabelas visa. I have had a few late payments with cabelas, and they hit me with a late fee, but the representative that i spoke with was more than willing to help with it. Also my second late payment was never reported to the credit bereau which i check with every week. I couldn't believe it, I thought after my second offense, they would have reported that and dinged my credit score but nothing happened. I have nothing to complain about with my card. In addition, I couldn't believe that my cabelas' points never expire.
 9th of Feb, 2009 by   Lisa43 +1 Votes
I had a cabelas card for over a year, never used it and than I charged on it when all this crisis in America was happening. I payed half of the charge off and than they lowered my credit limit. I called and they said they checked my credit and had lowered it due to the credit score. They lied, I had a better score than when i signed up for the card. I think they just like to do this to make people's score lower. My score lowered after a month of them lowering my credit with them. I finally am fighting back. I will pay the card off and save money, but I will when i feel like it! I will never use my cabelas card again. They showed me they don't care about people that do make their payments on time. I feel this company is the kind that plays the game to keep people from having higher scores on their credit report.. I will win the game with them when i pay this off and never use it again!!!
 11th of Feb, 2009 by   chris +1 Votes
OMG

This is exactly what happened to me. I had a 4k limit, 3k balance. Paid $2500 and found the next day my limit was dropped to $900. Cabelas has seen my last purchase!!! Never missed a payment, never paid just the minimum, never went over my limit.

I will not stop until I've told 4k people about my story. One person for everyone of my intitial credit limit dollars!!!
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   BooHoo123 -1 Votes
As a former emloyee of WFB (Cabela's bank), in two different areas, but with a very thourough knowledge of how the credit dept. works, I know what most of you people are talking about. The sad truth of the matter is that this is how almost all credit card companies/banks operate. And if they dont, it's how they should and will be - with an increasingly strict standard of who they loan credit to.

Look at it from a business aspect - if YOU owned the bank, you would attempt to minimize as much risk as possible. Especially in these dire straights we're in, if you dont use your card and you have an $5k limit, then all of the sudden you start to use up near or above 50% of your CL, that could appear as a potential risk. There are people out there that roll through card after card, maxing it out and ditching it. The bank was absolutely justified in reviewing your credit information (which they would've eventually done anyway as they review on a quarterly basis). As mentioned before, the bank primarily uses Equifax; the score you say had increased very well might have, but it probably wasn't the Equifax which is the one that would've counted. This brings up the point of having well rounded credit information no matter what score a company is going to go off of.

On a side note, you earn points on what you spend, not what you pay back to the bank. So, yes, you've received your $700 in points by spending $70, 000...that doesnt mean that $70, 000 has left your pocket. Big whoop because in the grand scheme of things, the money the author/responders to this thread have spent through this or any bank and the 4000 people you've all told, are less than a drop in the bucket. A plain and simple truth. All credit card companies are essentially crooks, bottom line. Got a problem with that? Go call Dave Ramsey and he'll give you a solution...he'll euphemistically call you an idiot and tell you that you never should've gotten a credit card in the first place.
 27th of Feb, 2009 by   joe29 -1 Votes
I've also worked for WFB in their credit department. And I did so for several years. Most of what the other complainers have said is completely true, but it's also completely justifiable. It continually amazes me how many people are outraged by, and don't understand, these practices.

Think of it this way - your credit score is basically your reputation as far as credit is concerned. If you had a babysitter who watched your kids on a irregular, non-exclusive basis, and one of your neighbors suddenly started telling everyone that this babysitter had done something horrible to one of their kids, would you take the risk and keep that babysitter? Even if YOU never had a problem with this babysitter, wouldn't you be a little skeptical about asking that babysitter to watch your kids again? Or, if a man had a reputation for beating up his girlfriends, would YOU want to date him? This is what your credit score represents to WFB. It is your reputation, and if another bank says they've had problems with you, WFB is going to minimize its risk by lowering your credit limit or closing your card.

WFB's basic policy is that if you are not paying other companies, or carrying high balances from month to month, or have any other credit problems, as indicated by your credit score, then you are MUCH more likely to, sooner or later, not pay on your Cabela's card, and the bank is going to do whatever it can to minimize the risk of that happening. Bottom line: if you're looking for a credit card company that doesn't care whether or not you are paying your other bills or how you're handling your other accounts, then this is not the card for you.

Oh, and it's absolutely asinine to suggest that the bank actively and intentionally tries to lower someone's credit score. Having customers with low credit scores hurts the bank as well as the consumer. The bank will only lower or close your account if you ALREADY have a bad credit score. And yeah, that might hurt your score further, but your score wouldn't have been very good to begin with. If you don't want this to happen, take a preemptive action and close the account yourself. Plus, the employees at WFB absolutely LOVE taking calls like this... There's nothing more pleasant than having someone yell at you "But I've always paid YOU! You always get YOUR money! Why should YOU care how I handle my other accounts? That doesn't matter. That is NONE of YOUR business!" Yeah, that's always fun.

Yes, the credit bureaus do screw up sometimes. And yes, the people at WFB know this. But almost everyone who has their credit limit lowered or account closed says this. "It's Equifax's fault... It's Citi's fault... It's Wells Fargo's fault..." That might be true, but there's no way to know for sure without looking at a credit bureau. If you get it fixed with the other bank or the credit bureaus, WFB will ALWAYS reevaluate the previous decision based on the updated credit bureau info.

I mean, I don't even work there anymore, and this just irritates me. The people that work there are wonderful, and it sucks when people like this call in and scream and yell and curse because of their own bad credit. And I sincerely hope that the petty person who is going to tell 4000 people about this, tells those same people that the reason for this happening was due to their own bad credit.
 3rd of Mar, 2009 by   dko 0 Votes
Nearly the same thing happened to me. On top of everything, they raised my interest rate. Additionally, they changed the terms of my agreement to include automated phone calls to my cell phone, business phone, or any other phone number I may have called from. I have never been late or missed a payment. I canceled my card the same day I received the notice.

I have been a loyal customer of Cabela's for well over twenty years. Not only did I cancel the Cabela's Card but I will never shop at Cabela's again. Ever. I too am telling everyone I know to stear clear of Cabela's Club. I hope they go broke.
 1st of Apr, 2009 by   CSR -1 Votes
I love that people complain about their accounts being closed when in all reality, it's YOUR own fault. Part of keeping any credit card account is having and maintaining a good credit bureau score. This is your responsibility to moniter and track. If your account has been closed or your credit line decreased, it's because you no longer qualify for that limit or to even have the account anymore based on YOUR low/bad credit bureau score. So maybe instead of blaming the company or the bank, you should take some responsibility for your own actions and stop complaining and maybe do something about your BAD credit!
 1st of Apr, 2009 by   zuke +2 Votes
I am glad to see I was not they only loyal customer screwed by the worlds foremost mafia! I always paid on time and used my card for hunting and fishing only. I had just cleared up some stuff on my credit and was preapproved for a home so things were going well. I get a notice in the mail they were cutting my limit from $7000.00 to $3700.00. When I called to ask why they said it was because my credit score had dropped. I looked at the report and score I pulled before they said they had checked it and one the day after I got the notice and do you know what dropped my score? These A*&holes reduceing my limit! That was the only thing different. When they dropped it I went from having over half of the card available to it almost being maxed overnight. I will probably never go there again and will sperad the word that they crap on loyal customers. I am in the military and will spread the word every where I go.
 1st of Apr, 2009 by   zuke +2 Votes
Hey CSR maybe you should not blast people blindly! The score I had when Cabelas gave me the $7000.00 limit was actually lower than the one I had when they cut my limit! Some times the big companies just don't give a crap about how loyal there customers are and look only at the bottom line.
 1st of Apr, 2009 by   zuke +2 Votes
To the two WFB suck ups who are slamming people on here, I use Equifax to moniter my credit it was Equifax customer service who helped me figure out that the ONLY thing that dropped my score was WFB cutting my limit and I have months of reports and scores to back it up! These people are not saints and you yourselves said the are covering their own butts.
 13th of Apr, 2009 by   PO'd Local Customer +2 Votes
Background: I had a bankruptcy 5 years ago after my wife had a heart attack and was out of work for two years. We are paying back every cent...not skipping out on the debt...just re-arranged it.

Cabela's (there is a store in my town) gave my a $3k line last year. I've made every payement ahead of time, always more than double the amount due. In fact, I've had the card down to a zero balance 3 times in one year after having over $2k.

Two weeks ago, I paid $500 (min due was less that $50) then went and put $400 on it 2 days later.

Last week got a letter in the mail that reduced my limit to the next $100 over the balance owed. In other words, left me with a $53 available credit.

I've worked my ass off to re-establish my credit. My wife had a *$@! heart attack and couldn't work for 2 years.

Needless to say, the card is not in my wallet anymore. I'll pay the balance off in the next 2 months and not use it again. I bought most of my clothes there (better quality and prices than other local stores) but now I'll go to Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, etc for needs. They never had fair prices on firearms anyway so I never bought guns there.

I'm betting the next $500 payment I make, my limit will drop again. I'll be reporting this to Equifax. Since filing bankruptcy, we've never been late on a payment, always sent in more than the court designated amount and have kept up on all of our bills.

Thanks for nothing Cabela's and WFB.

Can't wait to return birthday and xmas presents. Seems that my whole family shops there...er...make that "shopped" there.

FU!
 16th of Apr, 2009 by   Walton +2 Votes
Cabelas canceled my credit card a few weeks ago. I've shopped there for years. I just paid cash for 2 Cannon electric downriggers with accessories. My balance has been $0, and have never been late on payments anywhere. They keep sending me Cabelas Spring Event Club savings coupons. I called and told them to erase every memory of me they have, as I will never shop with them again. We have over $700, 000 cash in investments. I've canceled them, as they have me.
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   1234 0 Votes
I went to use my card about a month ago, and was denied. I called Cabela's and discovered that they had (thank God) put a hold on my card after they noticed some suspicious transactions. After being in contact with WFB fraud department (because there was INTERNET fraud committed with my Cabela's card), I received a letter from Cabela's credit department lowering my limit. This came the day before their fraud dept finally sent me an affidavit to sign and return regarding the fraud (WEEKS after the fact). I called Cabela's credit dept and asked them if their lowering my credit was DUE TO FRAUD that had just been committed with my Cabela's card. The answer was no, I was delinquent at some point in the past few months. I'm getting my credit check tomorrow, and I'm going to find out exactly what was "delinquent". If I find out it was Cabela's lowering my limit instead of some delinquency, I will cancel that card. In fact after what I've read here, I might just do that anyway. At this point I'm even wondering if there was a breach of security within the company somehow that caused the fraud and that's the reason they are so backlogged with cases. Since the person assigned to my fraud case cannot seem to even read the information I have sent or verify my questions, I will be reporting this fraud to the FBI and State authorities, and anybody else that might be able to help me - and actually are concerned. So beware if there is internet fraud committed with your Cabela's card, they may lower your limit too. Or worse, cancel your account, or act unconcerned while you're panicking because you've become a victim of theft. I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem as me??
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   bellerive10 +2 Votes
My husband and I have had this card for several years now. We have a credit score (according to all 3 bureaus) of 784, and had 67% of our credit still available. We now have 62% thank to our Cabelas friends! WE HAVE NEVER BEEN LATE ON ANY PAYMENT!!! Thiers or otherwise, yet they still closed our account due to "inactivity" right after we made a purchase! I have worked hard to keep my score up and am extremley disapponted they would choose to loose a loyal client. I for one will never purchase a thing from Cabelas again. Bass Pro SHop will be getting my business from now on. I find it amazing how I can be looking right at all 3 credit burea reports and they tell me thiers is 100 points less than I show. Can someone explain this madness??????
 26th of Apr, 2009 by   Walton +2 Votes
Since I posted my complaint here, I've bought 3 shrimp pots, 3 buoys, 1200' of lead line, and a pot puller from Sportco to gear up for Shrimping. I will never buy another item from Cabelas. Sportco was happy to get my business.
I told my story on the Cabelas forum, and the moderator banned me for life. This just shows the bias of its product reviews. It is nice to know that there are other forums to voice your opinion.
 28th of Apr, 2009 by   Cabelas Victim +2 Votes
Maybe Cabelas is about to go the way of the other POORLY MANAGED companies unable to survive the current recession. They cut my CL by 2-thirds overnight, no late or missed payments, FICO rising monthly since I got this card, poor business. I will pay off my balance and be done with this un-grateful company.
 20th of May, 2009 by   jon -2 Votes
The Cabelas CLUB VISA is a great card. I am a employee and hear these complaints everyday. These times are hard on everyone and I understand that people are frustrated and angry about some of the situations that they are in or are going to be in due to job loss. Your past history is taken into consideration when reviewing accounts, but unfortunately the Cabelas Visa just as other credit cards are unsecured lines of credit, which means there is no collateral or anything if someone was to stop paying on their debt that is owed. Another thing too is that a credit card is a luxury and it is something that people have to earn and prove they can handle the responsibility of borrowing money and paying it back.

The customer service you get from this card is outstanding compared to other cards all of are representatives are in the United States so you are not getting transferred off to India to be handled by a third party that can not understand you and you can not understand them this is something that is very hard to argue against. No one is every fully satisfied with their credit cards company no matter what benefits or rewards they offer this is something that i hope everyone understands. Their are Pros and Cons for every credit card that is out there. The Cabelas Club Visa does a great job of helping out people who get fees or get into financial problems all you have to do is ask and when you ask call calmly and understand that the person behind the phone is just doing their job. Also the cabelas visa only reports any late fees to the credit bureau that are more then 60 days late. Name another credit card company that does that most credit cards immediately report a late that is one day late.

Now Getting back to the credit bureau score or also known as a FICO score. This is something that is looked at very seriously and it is a rating of an individuals past credit history and everyone looks at it when you apply got a home mortgage and or an auto loan some employers even look at when looking to hire someone to see if they have handled their finances well in the past because if someone can not handle their own money they are very unlikely to treat someone else's money with care. It can take sometimes 60-90 days for the credit report to update so if something is reporting incorrectly in your credit report it can be a while before it is fixed and corrected. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for a credit bureau is just takes time and patience for things to iron out. If your account is lowered or closed and it is because of your credit report score contact equifax (efx) and find out what is reporting wrong you do not know how many people have called in angry and then called back and said they are thankful for the letter and they were upset at first, but now are thankful that we notified them of the change in score so they could get everything corrected in their credit bureau.

Gift Card Scam - It's The Latest Scam to Watch Out For!

Latest Groups