Internet scam

I received an email from WEB.COM announcing a raise in monthly subscription rates. On Thursday, October 9th 12:00pm, I placed a call to web.com's cancellation line in order to cancel my service. I waited on hold for approximately 35 minutes and had to hang up (unserved) because my lunch break had ended. Saturday, October 11th, I placed another call around 3:30pm and waited on hold another 30 minutes. Frustrated, I hung up and dialed their technical support number. A human being picked up almost immediately and proceeded to take my information and transferred me to customer service. It is now 5:25pm and I have been on hold for 1 hour and 35 minutes.
Complaint comments Comments (66) Complaint country United States Complaint category Online Scams

27th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Web.com - Upcharged and Screwed

I had been a long-time Interland customer. They always let me know ahead of time when my credit card would be charged and how much. They would also let me know if my card was about to expire.

Web.com did none of the above, FAKED my expiration date (how it got through, I'll never know), AND raised my rates 50%. I called to complain 2 days after my card was charged and they said they would roll back to the old price and credit my card. They did...then charged the card back for the same amount as the credit.

I tried for three weeks to get in touch with someone...ANYONE. They would not answer their phones or email or trouble ticket. When I finally DID get in touch with someone, they said that they would be charging me (prorated) two months of service.

From what I've seen on this site, I'm not the only one that didn't get kissed...
 25th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
Well check this out. You sign up for a domain name, right? Then, 45 days before a year is up, they sneak a little email in to your inbox entitled "support" saying your account will renew if you don't take action. When you don't, you're in for another year. Oh, and they doubled the amount i was paying the year before. When you call, of course they say that was part of your agreement, and you opted in to it. But really, it's the default setting, and you have to affirmatively change it to avoid auto-renewal. There was no opting of any kind. Bad business.
 6th of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I received a call from a rep. of Web.com who told me that he noticed that I was a member of Merchant Circle and that they service Merchant Circle and that their service works and that they had something going between them and Google and that my business will go up. He knew how to sell the service, So I gave my cc info. Then I decided to call back and cancel. I spoke to a lady who was at the top of nice to manipulate me. But then she agreed to give me a one month free trial. Absolutely nothing happened. They had me make many changes to my website that I found out Google gives you the same information for free. So I didn't ask to subscribe and no one called to ask if I was satisfied and if I wanted to go ahead and subscribe. Then recently I noticed 2 charges on my statement for 71.95 each. I called to the same lady who claimed that she told me about it at the beginning. I asked for a refund but was denied. I called my Master Card agent who told me that once you give your cc info and took the free trial according to the rules they go by, they can't reverse the charges. So it's a legal technicality that protects them. The bottom line is don't subscribe to their service. "It does not work" I got nothing from it and my Google rank went down, maybe because of them resubmitting to Google.
 10th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Please, please, please . . . do not subscribe to this site. I chose a domain name and could not access my new site, I submitted a password, but could not access my new site. There is no customer service (unless you pay for it, ) so I could get no answer or help. I had to cancel my credit card to get them not to charge me. I was fooled into thinking this was a reputable software/internet site because the words "Google" and "Microsoft" were on the packaging.
 9th of Feb, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Yeah they are a total fraud. They tried to sell me the same Google trick but I didn't fall for it.

I'm a web designer and it's called SEO. If you guys want to get your google rank up.

Use google at search SEO techniques for Web Design. There is a million of them out there and they are free.

If you want to see your ranking and page views use:

Google Analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics/)
Google Urchin (http://www.google.com/urchin/)

Also if you want awesome hosting for your website please use:
Hostmonster (http://www.hostmonster.com/)
Hostgator (http://www.hostgator.com/)

Also domain can be purchased through your hosting or at Godaddy.

Don't let those scammers get you.
 26th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
Web.com is a scam. Stay as far away from them as possible. I paid $71 for them to help me increase traffic to my web site and, as a results, I received three e-mails ans spent 10 minutes talking to a girl at their offices. So, I blew the money. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!
 29th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes

Web.com - Ruining our business

We recently had to close one of our debit cards due to unauthorized charges. We did not realize that this was the card we used to set up and run our website and email with Web.com. Without a warning or even trying to contact us about the issue, web.com shut down our business website and email. I immediately contacted web.com and updated our payment history. Our website is up and running and I can send emails but we are not getting our emails. All of our business comes from our customers via email and most orders need to be completed within 24 hours. We are losing lots of orders and customers because our clients cannot send us emails. We are a new business that just is starting to take off and this is ruining us. I have contacted web.com via email and phone more then ten times and it still has not been fixed. I find that this is horrible business practices especially for a company that markets itself to small business. In today's market businesses rely heavily on email and websites and cannot afford to have this happen. Web.com thinks they can keep doing this because of the difficulty it would be for a small business to switch to another company.
 7th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
I tried it and couldn't get into my account either! No answer when I asked via their email contact. I'm SO glad I didn't give them any money or card info!!!
 11th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes

We have researched these issues, and found that we did provide notification on two occasions to this customer prior to terminating their service due to 2 consecutive months of non-payment, which is something we have outlined in our terms and conditions of service.

After an account has been suspended, it can take up to 24 hours for a full restoration of service due to domain propogation and other issues. Our ticketing history and review of this indicate that this customer's service was fully restored - including the ability to send and receive e-mail - within 3-4 hours following the payment update.

We understand the critical nature of making sure a business owner's website and e-mail are working, and these issues are treated with high priority when they arise, regardless of who is "at fault" for the issues occurring in the first place. However, it is important to note that in all fairness, payment-related service interruptions are something that this customer had full control over.

Customer Satisfaction Department
Main: (904) 680-6600
 29th of Jul, 2010 by    -5 Votes
I have had web.com for over a year and have just recently started a new account with them, I think the complaints above are in regards to hosting accounts, I dont' understand how anyone can say web.com is a "scam".. They have been around for over 10 years and have over 250k customers, just look at their web.com corp site!! I always talk to a live person, they give me 30 days to get ANY changes done on site are always friendly and knowledgeable about tips to improve website traffic and conversion, I am a small business I don't' have time to submit myself to the search engines and do marketing, hence why I hired someone. Please!! If you are here because your are considering web.com, Please stop listening to the negativity and focus on the positive parts, there are only negative complaints on this site, Go and try it for yourself, they don't even lock you in a contract and they focus on only small businesses like mine to help with pricing so I can succeed and make the websites pay for themselves.. Wow. I should apply there!!
 30th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I disagree Positivethinker80.

I can plainly tell you are speaking here on behalf of web.com. I know how the marketing world works and if you ask anyone in the web design, hosting, developing, and community they will tell you that web.com is the biggest ripoff that you will ever see.

If you guys want a legit company that will do everything you need and no scams involved use:

They are setting the standards for SEO.
 2nd of Sep, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I feel like a number here. I got an offer from them stating Legal zoom was offering a free 30 day trial. They promised a notice to tell me when the 30 days was up. It never came and I was billed 94.95. I will be contacting the BBB immediately but it won't matter because the website was never what we were looking for - we had a site - I just fell for the SCAM. Shame on me for a bad business decision but I will tell everyone I know about how this compay treated me and to NEVER use them. So what's the point - all the bad press and you could have just refunded the money.
 5th of Nov, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Web.com is a complete scam and rip off. I own my own web development firm and recently had to deal with these web.com people and the customer service lady herself, the manager, more or less agreed with me that the company is a complete fraud. They purchase the domain names for their clients, then if the client ever wants to move or have a website somewhere else they want to sell the domain back to the client for $99. Absolutely ridiculous, the client should own the domain not web.com
 10th of Nov, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I payed the 76.95 fee and waited and received nothing for it, or so I felt. So when the following month roled around I called and told them that I wish to cancel, that I didn't feel that I was getting my moneys worth from them. They gave advise on title - discription - metatags ect. hmm I was all ready at 100% for them by google. Also told them I had no idea as to what they were doing for me, I never recieved any reports or anything. I received an email listing a few dozen places they submit my site to. As I was going through to submit my index to them instead, one site was no longer around, another site got stopped by spybot as saying there was malware on it. Another site address didn't even exst (I gave up their list after the first half dozen).

The posting of my banner 1000 times, netted me not one click, so much for increasing my traffic. I was never told where that banner was shown, or if in fact it was shown.

I did agree to continue with them for 2 more months at half price to "see" if any improvements happen. But as I thought about it, I wanted to see what others were saying and found this board.
 27th of Nov, 2010 by    +3 Votes
Same problem here...I also want to cancel my account with WEB.COM, but they are not answering me how to cancel my account. My credit card has been declined, and then they emailed me that they are experiencing difficulty processing credit card payment...I regret why I have opened an account with them. They don't have a good customer service support. They just used us to get some money...
 26th of Mar, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Honestly i don't work for web.com but to me you all sound like a bunch of people who go out to restaurants and ask for your money back after you ate the whole meal when people sign up for a service and think it's going to "self terminate" you guys are stupid no company that provides a service like that is "self terminating" NONE not web.com not RHsPSODY not ebridge NONE ! You sighned up of course YOU need to CANCEL!!! Ten you go online and destroy this companies reputation and toy with peoples lively hoods and probably treat the customer service reps like trash you are all trash and morons for assuming that anything you put on a card would self terminate does your gym membership self terminate ? No but do you cry about. That?
 6th of Apr, 2011 by    -3 Votes
this company is a scam. They made many promises about how nice the site will be and how much additional traffic I will see. When I checked to see what kind of website they developed, a child could do better. It took two weeks and a dozen phone calls to get the acct. canceled. Funny how it didn't even take one phone call to join.
To the person who says this is sour grapes or that I am playing with people's livelyhoods needs to wake up. Companies like this should go out of business. If I was treated professionally and allowed to cancel as easy as it was to sign up then I would not be complaining
 9th of Apr, 2011 by    -1 Votes
They called several times without leaving msgs. Finally when I answered the sales guy said I had "contacted them for information" (I have not.) I told him I was on the National Do Not Call List, and to pls respect that. He agrued with me saying "There is no National Do Not call list for Businesses". Difficult to get off the phone, and intrusive.
Bad business.
 30th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
What if you just use the free version, and don't put in any credit card details?
 29th of Jun, 2011 by    +1 Votes
You are sooooo right! What a scam! Their pricing was extremely deceptive so when I figured out what the cost really was I called and canceled on the phone. Even so, they kept calling and acting like I still had an account with them, but when I would say "But I canceled that" they would say, "Well, we're just the marketing people, we have no way to know that..." and when I asked if they could access my records to see if there was an active account they would say "Sorry, we can't access that." Why didn't I go to their website to cancel? Because I was under the impression that I had no account, so I had no way to log in. Now, months later, I noticed unexplained charges... and then traced it back to a full year ago. The charges were all over the map, first $13.50, then $21.90, then suddenly $37.00! No explanations, no announcements, no messages. So I called the number and after being extremely rudely treated by a customer service agent, who basically told me to shut up and listen to her, I finally got an e-mail confirming cancellation. It's obvious that they are deliberately ignoring requests for cancellation because they think they can make big money by doing so. I'm not here to pay for some dot.com millionaire's temporarily lavish life-style, I'm here to do business and if they don't do business by respecting the customer... they won't last much longer!

Web.com Logo Web.com