Viking River Cruises

Viking River Cruises
My wife and I, for our Honeymoon, booked an 8 day river cruise with Viking Criuse Lines beginning in Amsterdam and ending in Basel Switzerland. We left Amsterdam and cruised for two days then stopped, we were informed that the water level on the Rhine was too low and we may not be able to proceed. In the mean time we took a short cruise up the Mosel River, were told again that the water was still too low, then were bused for several days to two of the stops on our itinary (out of a half dozen). We spend hours on buses to have only a short time at each stop. We were then bused to our final desination city and that was that. We ended up cruises for three out of eight days and missed seeing most of the stops on our itinary. For that Viking offered us all 30% off a future cruise but only if we took it within one year, not booked it, took it. This was at a time when the company was offering two for one deals and big discounts on airfare to anyone off the street!

I obviously don't blame Viking for the river being too low. I do however blame them for the way they handled the situation. They later admitted that they had known before leaving Amsterdam that the chances of them being able to complete the cruise were very slim. At that point they should of let us know that and offered us options; a refund, re-scheduling the cruise, or going on ahead and chancing it. Instead the crew lied to us for four days so that they could claim that they had done their best and at least provided a partial cruise.

Also, during the entire trip the crews demeanor was abrupt to the point of being rude. This was so apparent to all that it became a running joke amongst the passengers. During the onboard meeting at which we were finally told that we would do no more cruising the majority of the passengers expressed the desire to see the Black Forest (one of our scheduled stops) but instead we were bused to Strasbourg because it was easier for the company to bus us from there to Basel and cut us loose. The crews attitude throughout was "We're going to do things the way we want, that's the way it is so just live with it."

Also, the ship was noticebly understaffed, the wait staff in the dining room was so harried and rushed that they did little more than put your food in front of you and rush off, never to be seen again. If you asked them for anything extra (a cocktail etc.) they acted as if you'd just called them a dirty name and rushed off, you then had a slim chance of recieving what you'd asked for before the meal was finished.

Drinks aboard ship are also not included in your ticket price so Viking offers a package deal, for $250 per person you get two cocktails a day and unlimited beer, wine, soft drinks, etc. My wife and I both opted for this package however, since we spent most of the trip being bused all over Europe and so not eating meals on the ship as we should have, we had to pay for our drinks at all the stops. Viking paid for lunch at each stop (in fair to poor restaurants btw) but would not cover drinks; another $500 wasted on the trip.

My problem with Viking is that they knew ahead of time the cruise would not happen and lied to us about it. They then offered us no options at all other than a paltry discount on another cruise IF taken within a year, a discount that paled in comparision to the deals they were offered the general public. Their attitude throughout was a far cry from the sterling service their literature claims they offer passengers. And after returning home and writing a long thoughtful letter to them about all of this I waited for two months and then recieved a form letter from them basically telling me they were sorry, that was the way things were, get over it, and hey, we hope to see you on another cruise real soon!

All of this cost my wife and I $9, 000! We basically got a very expensive bus tour to a few cities in Europe and a very short cruise. Basically we were taken advantage of by Viking Cruise Lines.

If you're planning a river cruise there are numerous companies in the business; Uniworld is a good one, so is Globus, but I would strongly advise steering well clear of Viking. Our experience may not be typical but then again, I suspect that it may be, and would you really want to spend that kind of money to find out?
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Travel & Vacations
Was the above complaint useful?

22nd of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
report your issues to a higher source
 22nd of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
We were considering a trip on Viking but I have strong reservations after reading these complaints. Perhaps paying more for one of the other companys would be a better idea.
 12th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
My husband and I had planned a Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We were told that the waiting time for a space would be 11/2 to two years but all the same the trip had to be fully prepaid which for us would have been $20, 000.Be aware that Viking took delivery of 10 longships this spring. Do they need the money so badly and will they be still in business two years hence??? We were to have for that the 2nd cheapest cabin but since we are very tall we had to book business class (our choice) which would be close to $10, 000.
How would anyone know the cost of plane travel 2 years in advance- how would one know the condition in Germany so far ahead? or if the company is still operating???
With the catastrophic flooding recently the trip would have had to end half way through in Passau.But we would be getting $500 compensation for a lousy next cruise.
If you carefully go over the legalese (to be seen on the web) there would be no recourse, none. So CAVEAT EMPTOR

Incidentally we have taken several small cruises, all of them very nice.
 24th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
My parents just returned from a debacle of a Viking "river cruise" which turned into miserable bus tour. The problems persist and Viking continues with the appalling customer service. Other river cruise lines resolved similar problems over the same time period much more reasonably. Look elsewhere for a cruise line.
 24th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
How do you, Viking, justify shuffling elderly people on and off 8 and 9 hour bus rides daily, pointing out sites they "don't have time" to see, and checking them in and out of unsafe hotels, and consider that a comparable experience to a river cruise? Deplorable. Future cruisers, do your research!
 24th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
Very nervous after reading these reviews. I am scheduled with viking in June 2014 . Can anyone comment on air fares.? I planned to use viking for that as well and agent assures that if I do not like the arrangements I can choose not to use that and they will refund with no fee so I can do my own air. I have to pay for their air now and am nervous about refund and do not want to pay an extra 100 apiece for them to " customize" my air, which seems silly as anyone with a computer can do the same thing .
 7th of Aug, 2013 by    0 Votes
These complaints are so serious I will not now be booking a cruise with Viking.
 27th of Oct, 2013 by    0 Votes
As I type this comment, I am looking to book a river cruise. After reading about all of your night mares, I don't think I will be booking on Viking. I will be checking out global or Uniworld. Are there certain times / seasons when the river locks are not useable.
 2nd of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
My wife and I own a travel agency and before we offer anything to our clients we research it thoroughly along with taking the cruise, tour, etc. at our expense. We were considering Viking but after reading this we certainly will not take the chance. I do suggest that if Viking is attempting to usurp your First Amendment rights (if you are US citizens) that you open your own Viking Complaint FACEBOOK page so that folks know the truth about what is happening to unhappy Viking customers.
 28th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
Viking has a reputation for glossy brochures and poor customer service going back many years. I once had a few complaints which I put in writing complete with constructive suggestions for improvements and sent copies to their Heaquarters and the English office. Both were ignored. For this shabby service from a company for which you can pay up to nearly £300 per day on a European cruise, they then have the unmitigated gall to `suggest` an £8 a day tip for the crew. Work it out. They expect 150 passengers to each pay £56 a week in gratitude for superlative crew service on top of the high holiday cost. Each member of the crew would then get the equivalent of a weeks wage in tips !
Only go on a Viking cruise if value for money and customer service is of little importance to you, or if you have a thick skin.
 11th of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
We too had a bad experience with Viking and I, like N-J-B, posted a bad review on Viking's Facebook page - it was removed also ! I posted again asking if anyone else realised that only good reviews were left on the site, bad ones were deleted - it was gone within the hour. Not only that but I am also blocked from posting any more reviews !!! Well done Viking.
 12th of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
A few years ago we took the Viking cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. The cruise on the Danube was incredible, food, stateroom (bottom deck, in stern) but comfortable. During this cruise as we moved north we heard rumblings of low water to the north. We also were forced to stop because of water depths, they bussed us ahead, got on another ship for a few days and again ran into low water and forced to dock and bussed to a third ship. We did get to most towns and it was an adventure and very enjoyable despite all the transfers but what really got my goat was that we took a canal boat trip right after arriving in Amsterdam, and to our surprise did we see the first boat, the one we departed on from Budapest sitting at the departure dock. Where it passed us or how with the low water I have no idea. We did complain and did get a $500 each voucher which we used on the Elbe River trip between Berlin and Prague, another great trip but needs to be a day or two longer to really enjoy the cities visited.

When you travel by river your totally dependent on water and maintaining river levels. I know these rivers and locks have been there forever, however, they need to learn how to maintain pools between locks so river levels basically stay safe commercial traffic.

One other thing, I think a mistake has been made as bigger ships require more depth and probably, more delays and pissed off customers.

Despite that, we are booking 2 cruises today aboard Viking and will be keeping an eye on river levels.

21st of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
I am terrified after reading these complaints... I made a mistake of booking my trip on Viking Rhine river at the end of October and already am having trouble trying to resolve the situation with air schedule. Their customer service is horrible, they do not show any concerns or willingness to help you... Really for that kind of service I could have used someone much cheaper!
I have two questions if someone can reply::
What are the bad seasons when the water is too low// too high? How big chance we would have to get into the switching to bus situation at the end of October?
The first page here mentions some contact email for vikings such as tellus@vikingrivercruises.com... Can someome verify that this is still the active email to send complaints about Vikings?
Thank you... wish I read this all first before making my booking, now I am stuck...
 13th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
I really like that you folks take the time to write a post . I so want to take a Viking cruise before I book, I like to check complaints first to see if there is something I need to asks or check before I book. +
after reading the posting the Rhine river has a lot of issue not sure why Viking is not upfront about the river water levels
sounds like bate and switch
the sad think about what I was reading is the selling point of the cruise is you are on a boat not a bus..

I just talked to some folks that were going on a Viking cruise family of 4 and they said that the river is closing and they are taking folks on 2 hour
bus trip to the city.that is why they are not going on the Rhine
I was thinking that the drinks were free at dinner and the tours were free how do you find out what is what
and you dock close to the city is that true???
 17th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
My wife and I were booked on a Viking River Cruise in early June.

We never got on a boat - it crashed into a bridge on its way to pick us up AFTER the previous cruise was called short due to other "mechanical problems" on the boat.

The way Viking handled the problem, both during the "trip" (which ended up on buses) was atrocious and a nightmare.

So bad I chose to share a warning to others thinking of going on a Viking "cruise"... check out the details on my website...

It warns what you're likely to experience!

Viking River Cruises Logo Viking River Cruises