logo

Drive Time Credit Corporation
SIGN UP FOR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT
2. (1 mins ago)
Old Country Buffet
did not return money prompt after their own mistake.
3. (23 mins ago)
Exclusive Furniture
Terrible service
4. (24 mins ago)
RPT MyScore
They didn’t cancel my account and no refund
5. (30 mins ago)

Posted:    needreliableinfo

Legal Nurse Consulting

Vickie Milazzo Institute
Houston, Texas
I was interested in buying their legal nurse consulting course but heard it was overpriced. It seems their advertising is more about hype and pumping people up than anything else. Apparently they offer a guarantee but here is my question: how many people take the course and return it for a refund vs. keep it and become successful? That stat would help me make a decision. Does anyone know that?

Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Sep, 2009 by   charlie brown +1 Votes
Don't do it, it's a scam! Go to your local trade school or college to take a course like this, NEVER an INTERNET, TV or RADIO advertised course!
 3rd of Oct, 2009 by   Jasper's Dad +1 Votes
One of the first things, and most important things, that that you would learn from this course is that you do not need to be certified to be a legal nurse consultant. There is no nationally recognized certification other that the one offered by the AALNC. The ABA does not recognize or endorse certification. I took the course you are considering, in 2003. I did everything I was taught. I marketed myself in several states. I have never had a lawyer respond to my marketing. I have never reviewed a case. I did not renew my certification. The institute's marketing is a lot of hype. The six day seminar is a page right out of the Anthony Robbin's (the ultimate scam artist) lesson book on how to hook unsuspecting consumers, convince them that there is no alternative and that you will be making six figures within a year. Then, they make you dependent on their support to "build your business", all of which you have to pay for, with no guarantee of success.
The basics of tort law can be learned in your local library. If you are already acquainted with a lawyer, ask them for mentoring and advice.
I hope you have not fallen prey to this scam. Save yourself and your money before it is too late.
Oh and by the way, the second thing that is taught in the seminar is that you do not need to be a lawyer to practice, however the owner of the institute IS a lawyer. She also is ruthless towards people who have comments about her and her business that she does not like and will go to any length necessary (including restricting free speech) to knock them down.
I hope this is helpful. Nursing is full of so many great opportunities, don't make a bad choice based on hype and promises. Remember: if it sounds too good to be true...
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   Hanky doodle +1 Votes
I took the basic course last year and sat in a large Reception room for 6 long boring days and never thought to ask how much it is to be Recertified every two years. The basic course is 4 grand and I had to pay for my Hotel room and Flight separately. I think I suffered from Jet Lag the whole 6 days. The lectures from the different Nurse Consultants were too long 2-3 hours and my attention span is 1 hour. Did I mention after my initial contact with the Vickie Millazo Institute I waited for 2 weeks to decide what I should do and the institute called me back after 1 week and knocked off a grand of the cost of the Seminar which brought it down to 3 grand. I guess I was looking for another path to go in my Nursing Career and fell for the Scam. It can cost 3 grand to recertify every 2 years and if you attend their Nursing conferences yearly cost: approx 1 grand. You have to pay to advertise on thier site and it isn't cheap. This lady is making hand over fist in big money of people who are vulnerable. I called and emailed several nurses who also took the course before I did and none of them got started or got a hit from an Attorney. I imagine there are many many more Nurses in the same boat. I also found out you don't have to be Certified and there are very few Attorneys who will pay a Nurse $150.00/hour for their expertise. With Vickie Millazo it is all about the money and greed is the operative word. Lastly Vickie is an RN with a law degree. Go figure. Lond live America.
 6th of Mar, 2010 by   RN in PA +1 Votes
I just wanted to post a thank you to the 2 people who reviewed this program. I sent away for the information and have been getting ready to research it. I thought in a few years, it might be worth it to spend the $4000, but it sounds like it will never be worth it! Thanks also for re-iterating that you don't need any certification to do this. There are places where you can learn the information you need without getting an overpriced, bogus certification. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
 8th of Mar, 2010 by   lil globetrotter +1 Votes
I also would like to thank the ones for posting their experiences on the internet. I am currently in the process of doing research on this "institute" & also wanted to see what other things were offered besides by Ms. Milazzo since she seems to be so terribly expensive! I originally responded about a year ago to get a packet in the mail along with her book to just look it over & then start the research aspect of it all. It's probably a good thing that I was so busy planning my wedding & didn't get all caught up in it. So here I am starting to look over all of it again & I must admit was VERY surprised that as soon as I googled Vickie Milazzo, it came up with all kinds of sites created as a warning to its scams!!! Wow! Very scary! All I saw was mostly negative things! And I can imagine how upset these people were to write all this stuff in light of the thousands of dollars they spent to educate themselves further & provide a better life for themselves, only to lose all that money for nothing! Times are tough & this is no time to throw money out the window for a scam, if that is what it is! I will continue to look through everything & research some of the options posted above. I will concur with the other posts above with the fact that they really do lay all the marketing & advertising on pretty thick! They have that part down pat! It sure did look very legitimate & sounded awesome. But you know what they say, if it's too good to be true, it probably IS!
 4th of Apr, 2010 by   RN CA -1 Votes
I stumbled across this site and was very surprised about the negativity toward this topic. First I would agree that you do not have to have a certification of any kind but we do live in a world where often credibility comes along with showing you have obtained additional training and education. That is what all nursing certifications are about. For example, RNs who work in ICU do not need to have a CCRN but it is believed you are more of an expert if you have obtained that credential. Legal Nurse Consulting is not any different. Vicki Milazzo's course provides you with one stop place for education to improve your expertise in this area. It provides resources and mentor ship. There are two things you must know if you do not take full advantage of the resources you will not get full benefit. The second is that developing your own business is not instant overnight success you have new skills to learn and perfect. The program does work but making it work required taking action on my part using the material learned, actively using the resources and taking personal responsibility for making sure I learned how to develop a business and taking those steps everyday, and surrounding myself with the right people. Yes I have received work from attorney's and I do believe having the certification helped because they were able to quickly identify that I understood my role as a consultant and expert and they did not have to teach me. The Vicki Milazzo program is not a scam! Regarding the cost - you get what you pay for as long as you use it otherwise not getting a good return on investment is because you did not step out of your comfort zone and build your consulting business. Good for Vicki for being an Entrepreneur - that is was America is about.

RN - CA
 5th of Apr, 2010 by   Jasper's Dad +1 Votes
Vickie is riding all the way to the bank on the paychecks that unsuspecting people are writing to her. She is banking that some of the people will continue to consume the additional services that her operation offers, guaranteeing perpetual income to live her lavish lifestyle.
I think the real clincher, for me, was that, following the devastating hurricane in her hometown of New Orleans, she sent a holiday message to all the people who had written her paychecks. It mentioned how fortunate she was to have been able to get her family out of the path of the storm. The message was being sent from a beach, somewhere in the South Pacific. That shows her REAL concern.
It is true that certification does demonstrate a certain knowledge base in a specialty area, however, the ABA does not recognize the certification nor did any of the attorneys that I spoke with have any idea what the certification stood for.
Anyone considering certification in this area would do better at looking at the AALNC certification that is offered. Not only is it cheaper and more comprehensive, but it is the only professionally recognized credential.
 21st of Apr, 2010 by   Channa Graham -2 Votes
This is NOT a waste! It's a wonderful opportunity! I do know REAL nurses who PAID off the cost of the course with their FIRST case! It all really boils down to your goals & commitment for this particular area in nursing! It's not for every nurse! Just like not every nurse wants to be an OB nurse! And as far as being too good to be true well, that's for those get rich quick scams! Vickie NEVER tells anybody anything less than all the work that will be involved to get ahead! She's gives her own personal experiences of the time it took her AND she does ALL the marketing for you for those who know exactly how time consuming advertising & marketing can be! But she does not do your work for you!! So if you're looking to work without working, nursing, in any field is not for you! Vickie can be assessed with the Better Business Bureau with an awesome review! But she DID however have somebody try to STEAL her idea!! I'd encourage anyone who is interested in the legal areas of study that is also a nurse to go for it!! I'd say Vickie took Mark Twain's advice to - " the secret to getting ahead is getting started!" and she literally took ALL her trial and error experiences in this field, and prevents you from wasting time with the same issues. And if I did all the work and helped somebody jump ahead without having to go through what I did, I'd charge whatever I'd want as well! Even if nobody gets a refund after starting, it is OFFERED! If you are interested go for it! I tip my hat off to Vickie!!
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   charlie brown +2 Votes
More Damn Shills trying to CONvince unsuspecting victims to part with their money foolishly!

GO TO A LOCAL BRICK AND MORTAR SCHOOL...NEVER AN ADVERTISEMENT ON RADIO, TV, OR THE INTERNET!!

REMEMBER...LAWYERS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND, THEY WILL SUCK ALL YOUR MONEY FROM YOUR ACCOUNT, IF GIVEN A CHANCE!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
 10th of May, 2010 by   mrs disappointed +1 Votes
Vicky is laughing all the way to the bank. However, she is knowledgable and a great speaker in her field but is also the most expensive program .
Her prices for her class programs depend upon what day you call, what customer service rep that you speak to, and the special of the day, week, month.
Her VIP course ranges in price from $4200 to 13, 300( for the exact same course), not the executive or basic course, depending upon the special or service rep that you receive when you call. She is making an average of 5-10 MILLION dollars a year.( depending upon how many specials she grants)
I guess that makes her a great business women but to me shadey and unethical person. She claims to love to teach what she loves most, nursing and law but forgot to include the amount of money she receives from it.
Her husband and brother(twin) work FOR her. Her husband is a extremely intellegant man (not a very good speaker)and actually seems honest. (But it is evident who runs the show)
She claims that she has "nothing to do with the financial aspect of the business", when questioned directly, unless she is receiving more money toward the program.
I did take the class but chose to leave after learning her business ethics.( and I was fully refunded)
 4th of Jun, 2010 by   T.RN +1 Votes
Wow! I am very grateful for this internet I was about to purchase this program and something kept stopping me maybe this is a sign to not do it. For those who did have success did you make a 120$ an hour? I realize with nothing is every easy you have to earn it! We as nurses know that all to well. I would hardly think a 6 day course can yield instant money it does sound very hyped up and I think I will go another route. Thanks for this insight. Knowledge is power!!!
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   LKW RN, FAACM, CLNC -1 Votes
Wow! I also stumbled across this site and was so surprised to see all of the negative comments. This IS NOT A SCAM. I took Vickie's course in October 2006 in Atlanta, Georgia and have never regretted it. Work will not come to you-- YOU HAVE TO ACTIVELY PURSUE IT. You can't send out letters and not make follow up calls. It's not easy, but work will come if you take an action step each day. It took me almost 6 months before I received my first case.

I purchased the VIP package. In the beginning, I contacted a mentor on almost every case I received. Each mentor offered sound advice. With the VIP package, I received 4 years of renewal certification tapes. I listened to all of the tapes and gained so much information. Each time, I came away with a new way to earn more money by adding additional services to offer the attorney, insurance company, medical bill review, etc.

Last year (2009) was our most successful year. We hired 2 clerical persons to help. I also have 2 certified legal nurses that I use on a contract basis.

I offer different prices for my services. For example, I charge $125 to attend an IME. My customary fee is $125 an hour for review of medical records/report; however, for certain clients I may provide up to a $50 p/hr discount. It depends on the volume of business they send my way.

Vickie's program is worth every penny that I paid. She can't do the work for you --- YOU have to get out there and bust your "chops"! It is hard work but well worth it. YOU have to market yourself. YOU have to change your attitude to "I CAN DO THIS!"
 5th of Jul, 2010 by   MS Georgia -1 Votes
This sounds like all the old school nurses, of which I happen to be one. Having been in the field for 21 years. I have multiple certifications and multiple degrees and I have never regretted the money I spent on the course. I have even been asked by hospitals I am employed with where I got my CLNC and they wanted it to be from Vickie Milazzo. This actually got me a great job making triple digits in a hospital risk management department. As with all in nursing, those who work hardest and perservere for the profession to advance make the most of it. So, if you are not willing to self-start then don't spend the money. But, I wonder who would call Donald Trump a scam for making billions. Why do we do this to women and especially to nurses? What is the deal, if we aren't Mother Teresa and martyrs we are scam artists? Get a grip people...Everyone with a good idea, motivation and great marketing skills is entitled to make money, even if they are female and a nurse! Finally, this course has also been extremely beneficial to me in teaching novice nurses how to chart, review charts, critically think and plan their work schedule...open mind, open mind, it is a beautiful thing.

MS Georgia
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   falconeer +1 Votes
I investigated this lucrative proposal for Nurses to advance themselves and append the LNC to their hard-earned initials only to discover the above written testimonials and warnings which gives one pause. Granted there are some positive testimonials about the great merits of the classes but you have to read between the lines. Currently, there is a recession and lawyers have suffered hugely, many of the large firms fractured and some dissolved. The younger graduates scramble for any work, going rates are generally $150. to $300. hourly, but those are mostly for Senior partners. Getting referrals from firms dispensing legal work is partly luck and partly recognition by peers, so its dubious how non-legal 'consultants' can look forward to these high-paid wages as advertised: - its simply not the real world. I'm a retired boarded medical physician specialist who currently works for a law firm, largely reviewing huge medical files (40 - 100 pounds) on complex medical cases and I am amply rewarded for this work that is often exacting and wearisome and requires referenced synopseis and high-lighting of important textual elements, only made possible by having acquired some several years of authorship writing and extensive published literary reviews. etc.

All in all, the weak points of the described course is the excessively high enrollment costs, recertification costs, associated fees for travel and accommodations in conjunction with the excessively high improbability of having any referral cases. Lets face it, remuneration for legal nurse consultation has an expectation for substantially knowledgeable opinions based on legal case work, with most hospitals already providing in-hospital para-legal counsel via administrative channels for risk management, and, additionally, employ their own ABA legal counsellors. Agreed, "teaching novice nurse how to chart, review charts, ...is a beautiful thing", but this is what Nursing is all about, the pursuit of improving oneself from Novice to Seasoned does not lie within the pages of a brochure extolling a great job making triple digits, what-ever that means. MD Southern California
 2nd of Aug, 2010 by   starvingclnc +1 Votes
For those considering the Vickie Milazzo course, please be sure that you make an informed decision.
I took the course in 2006. I attended the 6 day seminar and found the speakers to be extremely enthusiastic and the setting was highly motivating. I left the seminar with the "I can and WILL do it!" After returning home, I put my plan to work. I bought the package including business cards, brochures and template for letterheads and I went to work. I sent out around 300 letters in the first month, and then another 200 for the following month. I had established my website, professional and full of information which would seem appealing to someone looking for a nurse consultant.
For three years I contacted CLNCs, LNCs and attorneys letting them know that I could provide exceptional assistance to their business. No luck. The calls that I made as follow ups to potential clients... no luck either. My pockets had gotten shallow to support my aspiring business.

I remember asking during the seminar about certification renewal. They informed me that with the package I purchased, I'd be able to renew for 6 years. They also informed me that continuing education could be achieved through approved courses which promote the LNC education.
That was not true. The only way to receive additional renewal is to take a costly trip ... on a glamorous cruise ship, a trip to Las Vegas, a trip to who knows where with money that you can't spend because you haven't made any with the certification to begin with!

If I had it to do over again, I'd have saved my money and taken my loving family who supported me through this, on a great vacation. I would've at least had something to show for it- like smiles, rather than the constant reminders of how I put so much money into a program that hasn't done a bit of good.
 10th of Aug, 2010 by   pennilessclnc 0 Votes
I took the course in Las Vegas in 2007. I found it to be very informative, other than the little bit about there being very little business out there. I have had two calls in three years, neither of which panned out, and invested a lot of money above and beyond the $9K I shelled out for the VIP course itself. The training may come in handy for me someday, but I doubt it will be as an independent legal nurse consultant. I would be more interested in working for a law firm. I'm not cut out to be an independent business woman; we got audited by the IRS this year after I submitted all my expenses for 2007--probably because I had no income to show for it!!

I would like to clarify, however, that you CAN renew by taking tests on 5 years worth of seminar tapes and books that I received with my VIP package. I'm not ready to throw away $13K completely, so I'm going to renew. However, if I had it to do over again, I would not have done it. At least in my neck of the woods (Northwest), there just isn't that much business.

I wouldn't call this a scam. The information is very good. What was misleading was the seminar's reports about the actual demand for legal nurse consultant services. Do your homework before you waste your money. If you do, do NOT waste your money on the website's marketing which is very expensive and not worth it. I didn't get a single call and I spent over a thousand dollars the first year. Did NOT repeat that mistake
 12th of Oct, 2010 by   Deb in Milwaukee 0 Votes
I initially took Vickie's class about 13 yrs ago when she came to Milwaukee for her 2 day seminar. I was between jobs, and so hyped by the information she shared, that I purchased the home study program. This program consisted of numerous VHS tapes with the corresponding textbooks, and, most importantly, a card individually signed by the members of her team. Unfortunately, I took a clinical nursing position, and worked for about 8 more yrs while the program collected dust on the shelf. Eventually, I was downsized, and decided it was time to take the course live. I called the Institute, registered for the class in Philly, checked various travel sites and found a package for $600 that included flight, car and hotel a distance away from the host hotel. That was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and for my career!
I have been been taken in by VIckie's enthusiasm in the class, and have called on the mentor's several times, and, each time have learned so much from each of these nurses. I have worked diligently to build my business, have worked with many attys in my state, and found teaching them about nursing is much like teaching my elderly clients and their families. The work is available, and just like anyone else who starts a business, one has to use every contact as a marketing contact. VIckie's program does work, only when we use one action step every day. She teaches us a ton of information, and it's up to each of us to develop our own mission statement, vision statement and come up with a marketing plan. SHe provides us with numerous supports; it's up to us to utilize them. I'm sorry some of those on this board found her class boring. Maybe LNC is not for you! I works for me!
 9th of Nov, 2010 by   My Way +2 Votes
I took an online course for $110 from eLearners.com and got my Certificate. I have 17 years experience as a personal injury doctor and Vicki's course wouldn't allow me to register because I am not a nurse. What a joke. The joke is on them because I saved thousands. I have to say I didn't learn anything new from the course (and wouldn't have from Vicky either) but I just wanted a Certificate. This is the way to go. I am in the process of mailing my first marketing out rght now. "Why hire a nurse when you can have a doctor? "
 3rd of Dec, 2010 by   GA RN +1 Votes
WOW, it's just like a Doctor to down play the value of Nurses. As a nurse of 20 years, I have kept many doctors from killing our patients. "MY WAY" you should ask the families and victims of these doctors, why have a doctor when you Have a Nurse(Good)! (I accept the fact that we all make mistakes but in almost everyone of these life or death situations the doctor either was un-knowledgeable or more often just refused to listen to the nurse) .

It's late so I guess I just need to say that I appreciate everyone that wrote in on this topic. I want to make a change in my career because I'm tired of Doctors not doing their job(so I have to do theirs and mine) and having to fight to make sure the patients are taken care appropriately. I am also tired of seeing staff abused by doctors, over worked, and definitely underpaid.

I don't know which way to go, I don't want to spend $13K to get a 6 day certificate that is for sure.
 8th of Dec, 2010 by   Legal RN +1 Votes
I took Vickie's course a couple of years ago and I assure you that she never once said that developing a legal nurse consulting business is easy. I think her infectious enthusiasm can be misinterpreted by some who are looking for a quick way out of their clinical nursing jobs. They may go away from the basic course feeling on top of the world, then reality hits. It's hard work. That is why Vickie tells you not to quit your day job. For those who came home and sent out 300+ letters to attorneys? Vickie (look it up in her Core Curriculum) emphasizes that networking and face-time with attorneys is the number one way to get business. As she teaches, sending out letters gives you the LEAST return on investment.No one wants to hear that because it's so much easier to hit the print button, stick on the postage, and call it good. Mailings should only be a small part of marketing. Personally, I have never sent out one letter for marketing purposes. Instead, I followed Vickie's advice, sought mentoring when needed, and am building my business. I love my work! I often turn to the Core Curriculum materials, which are very thorough, by the way, and many of the other resources available on the Institute website. I've also joined ALNC and a couple of listserves specific to LNCs. It's what you make of it, folks. Vickie's course is expensive, no doubt. And there are other paths to the goal. But the ongoing support of the VM Institute has been, and continues to be, invaluable to my business. Well worth it to me. She's the real deal. But expect to work hard on your own after the Basic course.

Are Your Friends Costing You Money?

Latest Groups