logo
search

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
Opinion Outpost
Termination of Membership and withhold rewards
2. (49 mins ago)
Bureau Of Defaulters Agency
Check fraud
3. (56 mins ago)
usertesting.com
They didn’t pay me for job
4. (1 hr 17 mins ago)
Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
5. (1 hr 45 mins ago)
Sears Die Hard Portable Power 1150
Product does not work & Sears refuses to do anything about it!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Veterans Advantage, Wetumpka, Alabama Complaints & Reviews - Unauthorized charge!

Veterans Advantage Contacts & Informations

Posted:    unhappy

Unauthorized charge!

1636 Owens Rd.
Wetumpka, Alabama
Phone: 334-514-9695
Veterans Advantage charged my credit card $4.95 for shipping charges of a packet I never requested or received. I did not find out about this charge until I noticed it in my credit card statement. I am appalled at the unethical practices of this "Military Veteran friendly" organization. When I called and proceeded to cancel my membership, they tried bribing me to continue my membership. In return for my continued membership they were going to contribute an unspecified amount to a military charity organization. I recommend that anyone who is debating to become a member really think twice. There are numerous complaints also filed with the BBB. Unfortunately, they all have been resolved and they continue to use the same practices.
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Veterans Advantage complaints
Veterans Advantage - Trial membership

Comments

1st of Apr, 2008 by   Veterans Advantage 0 Votes
This person's case was already resolved. Veterans Advantage is available by toll-free phone for prompt handling of customer needs (866-838-2774), and can also be found on the Internet for e-mail resolution at: http://www.veteransadvantage.com/footer/footer_contact.html
 8th of Jan, 2009 by   Member Services +1 Votes
Dear Sir,

We apologize for your experience. It sounds like you already discussed this matter directly with us, but if there's any other issue you wish to discuss, please feel free to call us directly at the number below. We take criticism seriously, and make every effort to resolve satisfactorily customer issues.

To anyone else with concerns, please note this process so you can get DIRECT resolution of any issue in a timely fashion, rather than posting here:

- We have a Web address (http://www.VeteransAdvantage.com/contact) for e-mail response within one business day.
- Toll-free: Reach us at 1-866-838-2774 immediately during business hours, eastern time, to speak with a live representative.

We make every effort--online and offline--to resolve any outstanding matter promptly, including publishing our contact information in product materials we mail via First Class mail. These materials are sent to those who enroll in our program. They provide access to a military/veteran/family benefits program that includes special benefits from leading national companies as a "Thank You for Service."

Customers who register with a valid e-mail address receive this information by e-mail.

Finally, we are proud of our charitable activities, thanks to the support of our members. This year, for instance, we awarded 300, 000 complimentary Veterans Advantage membership cards . We perform these activities in addition to our core business of extending special benefits to those who serve and their families. We document our charitable activities online here: http://www.veteransadvantage.com/partners/Charitable_Activities_Public.html

We hope your questions have been resolved to your satisfaction, and you will one day consider re-joining Veterans Advantage.

Sincerely,
The Member Services Team
at Veterans Advantage
1-866-838-2774
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   HeadHancho 0 Votes
They did the same to me... then replied to my complaint by stating that renewals were automatic and that memberships MUST be cancelled 60 days in advance of expiration. In my case it was for 119.00 (3 years) aqnd a separate charge 0f $4.95 for shipping!!
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   HeadHancho -1 Votes
They did the same to me... charged for shipping something unwanted. The best way they can solve this problem is to stop the procedure. They must be desperate for money... and truly their discounts are fairly worthless. I tries 3 times to get my birthdate corrected with them and it never did happen... the local pharmacy refused to honor the prescription beneft... a measly 10%!

Seems they are quick to apologize...that's all!
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   JARosado -2 Votes

Notice how in their reply here they are asking you to talk directly to them rather than post a complaint here. What does that tell you?
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   JARosado 0 Votes
I agree. They also did the same to me. Charged me for something I didn't ask for or received. All they do is apologize, but on top of it they don't fix the situation AND also make it a pain in the neck to cancel the membership. No information WHATSOEVER on how to cancel on their website, other that "please contact us" with an email, no phone numbers...thank goodness they posted their phone number here, or else I would have never found it!
 18th of Mar, 2009 by   Zombiwoof 0 Votes
I signed up for the service.
The auto renewal was clearly disclosed when I signed up.
Unfortunately, I misplaced the card with the membership number.
I sent repeated emails to veteran's advantage with the transaction information, my email address etc - but never received a reply.
Like others, I also didn't notice the contact number link in tiny text in the footer.
My new card arrived, and with it a pending charge on my card for 59.99.
I called them this morning to cancel it - received a cancellation number.
Too early yet to see if this actually gets canceled or not.
The woman I spoke to was polite and helpful, assuming it does get canceled.
Make sure you cancel your as soon as it arrives, or you'll be billed for the renewal.
Remember, if you wait for the transaction to go through, the pending charge can tie up your credit limit/debit balance for the rest of your billing cycle.
Most merchants don't bother to bother to cancel the authorization, they just don't capture the payment.
 20th of Mar, 2009 by   Zombiwoof 0 Votes
Update:

The pending charge on my card was cancelled within 24 hours.
That's pretty damned good - since as I mentioned above, most companies won't even bother.

And I did get decent value - I saved $50 on a mac mini I bought for my employer.

Only reason I canceled is that I no longer need to take Amtrak on a regular basis.

The discounts from the VA card are similar to those offered by other programs, so it's not a "must have" - but if you don't have some other type of discount card and make many major purchases or travel a lot, it's a good value.
 5th of Nov, 2009 by   cknych +2 Votes
I have to disagree with everyone who has posted a negative towards Veterans Advantage. I have been a member for only around 6 months or so but in all my packets and all my e-mails from them I had no problem finding a phone number or a contact e-mail address. I signed up for the 4.95 trial offer and read the information they had posted on the web site so i knew that I would be charged for a full year membership in I think it was 60 days. They automatically took the payment and only the payment I agreed to.

I have used my card only around 5 times or so and for small purchases but I do save some money with it. I use it for all my prescriptions instead of my United Health card because at the Target pharmacy there is always a savings of around 3 dallars or so per script. If everyone would simply read the e-mail they receive when they sign up, and also read the membership packet they receive I think there would be a lot less surprises.

As with any on line membership there is a lot of information you need to read prior to signing up and agreeing to pay. Pay close attention to the content of such material and make sure you understand and if you don't then just call them they will explain it to you.
I received a 25 dollar gift card as a promotional thing when i signed up but when i didn't receive it I sent them an e-mail which was answered in 24 hours and then around 2 weeks late my gift card showed up. I think they are doing a fine job so far and thank them for this program. let me reiterate for all of you... read the offer more closeley and read all the other material in full and you will find there are no surprises.

Respectfully,
SGT. C.K. (Veteran; U.S. Army)
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   Rigoberto 0 Votes
I agree Veteran Advantage is ripoff, the thing that gets me is that they are using the veterans to do the dirty deeds. This company should change their name to something else. I was wondering if the Washington, Regional Office knows about this company abusing veterans in the name of veterans.
 6th of Dec, 2009 by   markbyrn 0 Votes
I purchased a multi-year membership in Veterans Advantage some 5 years ago (at a substantial discount from their current plans) and I'm here to report that I've used the service exactly zero times. The paltry discounts that Veterans Advantage touts can almost always be beaten by finding an alternate coupon code, seasonal discounts, and other military related discount programs that don't require you to shell out $59 a year to Veterans Advantage. They trumpet discounts that aren't specific to their program and can be obtained by any active duty or retired military member; for example there's a code for 20% off AT&T monthly plans. If you're not active duty or retired, the Veterans Advantage exclusive plan is, "Some AT&T Wireless Stores may be accepting the Veterans Advantage membership card for 8% monthly service discounts when presented with our IRU Foundation Account Number." Some stores may be accepting?! They also tout discounts that don't actually exist; for example they claim to offer discounts on Ipods through their membership portal to the Apple Store yet the prices on the Ipod Touches were the same as the regular store. They offer 15% off a Hotel's normal rate - of course you can almost always find a lower rate through almost any travel discount website or from the Hotel itself. They recently added an 'exclusive' benefit for %20 off Boston Market yet in checking Google, Boston Market is offering %20 off coupon deals and programs to almost everybody; hardly surprising given the economy and Boston Market's already high menu prices. Military.com has a huge list of businesses offering military discounts and my guess is that Veterans Advantage is for the most part simply offering the same discounts and charging you $59 a year for the privilege. I won't say Veterans Advantage is an outright scam but it's slick & oily, and I won't be renewing even though they attempted to automatically renew me and sent out a new membership packet - fortunately the credit card they have on file is no longer valid.
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   Palmer Brown 0 Votes

Veterans Advantage - Ridiculous customer service / no disclosure
Pennsylvania
veteransadvantage.com

I do not know if anyone else has experience with veterans advantage (Http: / / www. Veteransadvantage.com / ) , but, i noticed a charge on my credit card for $59. 95 that i did not authorize. I called the customer service number which was answered by a "dan", a mono - talker. I explained to dan that i did not authorize the charge whereupon he explained the history of the charge. . . Apparently i may have signed up for something a year ago. After hearing his explanation i explained that i was not concerned with the history, did not want their service, and simply wanted the charge refunded to my account. This is when dan took a turn for the douche. Dan the douche stated that he would mail me a packet of information to complete. After returning the packet the charge would be processed for a refund. I explained to dan the douche that this was not acceptable and that i simply wanted a refund. Double - d then got forceful, yet still in a monotone voice, that he would not give me my refund. I then asked to talk to the douche's supervisor to which he replied in a louder monotone voice, "no you may not". I then asked him to tell me his name again and to speak to his supervisor. Again, he said, "no you may not". I asked his last name and he told me it was "none of my business". I then asked, "are you telling me that you are not going to give me a refund and you are not going to let me speak to a supervisor"? He then monotonely said, "you will hold". I waited a few minutes and the call was answered by a crystal who said she was a supervisor. I explained the situation to her and dan's outright douchebaggedness and she agreed to process the refund (Within 24 hours) . After i got off the phone i was still unnerved by dan. . . Cannot believe i let that douchebag get to me like that. . . So, i called their offices in connecticut. After hitting the extension for the ceo, the phone was answered by a receptionist who apparently know who i was by caller - id. She confirmed that a refund was being processed before i could get two words out of my mouth. I explained to this person that i wanted to speak with someone in executive management regarding the handling of my call by dan. She explained that the call was recorded and that they would review the call. Learning that the call was recorded without my consent (Pa and ct are two - party consent states) and there was no disclosure i found myself a little angrier and have now demanded a call back from mr. Scott higgins, their ceo. It should be noted that i do not care that that call was recorded, i am actually happy it was, i am just bothered with their lack of disclosure.

Details to follow.
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   Palmer Brown 0 Votes
I received a call from Mr. Scott Higgins, CEO of Veterans Advantage. He was extremely apologetic and I am convinced me that this experience was through the actions of an individual and that those actions and attitude are NOT consistent with the operations or practice of Veterans Advantage. In addition to my refund and his apology I was offered a years complimentary membership. I am completely satisfied with the resolution.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   King1155 +1 Votes
I disagree with the guy above. Ifind real value with the Veterans Advantage program discounts. First of all there are several things they give you right away for free and included with your membership that you don't have to pay anything at all for, but the member fee of course. And I feel this stuff is worth a lot more than the average $5 bucks a mo. you pay for your card. One big one is $5, 000 of death benefit coverage. That could cover a funeral cost. Another is $50, 000 in emergency medical evacuation when you travel. This is not a small thing. if you go on a cruise, they absolutely require you to have this kind of coverage and you could pay them hundreds for it if you purchase it from the cruise line directly. Plus it only covers you for the period of your cruise. The Veterans Advantage coverage is for everyday as long as you are a member and travelling more than 100 miles from your home. You also get a financial planning pacakage worth $500 in consulting fees. Have yet to use this, but plan to. And I do use the free prescription plan. I find as one other writer says that the savings have exceeded what I get with my own insurance prescription coverage. Given these things, any other discounts are just gravy, but I do use the 10% off Target a lot. Yes, if you hunt around a lot you might find a coupon deal here or there that is better from time to time. But that also takes a lot of time, which I don't always have. It is convenient for me to have the deals in one place. I check Veterans Advantage first and at least know I have that deal. I know I have saved so far more than my membership cost. And despite the items the person above picked up, there are quite a few you can't find anywhere else like the 5% off Continental. So agree with another writer that this is a valuable program and overall they are doing a good job.
 18th of Mar, 2010 by   Newdawn 0 Votes
When I applied to Veterans Advantage, they promised me a free DVD and 25% off first yesr membership and charged me $4.95. Their programm is totally useless and inferior comparing to others, like American Legion. Their promises never materialized, I feel deceived, humiliated and hard done by. They kept quoting their policy that I was not entilteled to 25% off and the feee DVD, yet they had it on their website and promised me over the phone that that's what I can have.
Very dissapointing, because they are supposed to help out us vets, instead all you get from them just broken promises.
Avoid them.
 18th of Mar, 2010 by   Newdawn 0 Votes
Avoid them.
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   jeffvaughn 0 Votes

Veterans Advantage - RIPOFF
Veterans advantage

Cannot get a refund on my account. The wounded warrior project signed me up for this program. I recieved my card in the mail then went on their website and accidently ordered a new membership. I called and explained what I did and was told I would be refunded 59.95.
Well its been a month and after numerous calls still no refund. My packet was "lost in the mail". I was told this morning I would get my refund in 7- 10 business days. The BBB has over 70 complaints on this company. Watch out, They are a ripoff. I rate this company with Silverleaf resorts.
 9th of Apr, 2010 by   Member Services +1 Votes
In this situation, our founder personally called this customer confirm the refund on his paid membership and apologize for a customer service error that was immediately corrected. Our agent simply failed to understand that this customer received a complimentary membership and then later came back to our site to mistakenly enroll for another membership and pay with his credit card. This customer of course also continues to have his free membership.

Our partnership with Wounded Warrior Project was started in 2008 to give complimentary Veterans Advantage memberships to qualifying WWP alumni. Our company offered this program as an in-kind charitable donation in recognition of the unique sacrifices these very special warriors have made to our country. We take great care with these customers, and we inform all customers about the availability of these free services, and others have joined our complimentary program because we publicize its availability. Customers can review the “Giving Back” section of our Web site, as well as a full page dedicated about our WWP partnership in our benefits brochure. That brochure is mailed to all paying and complimentary members, including this customer, via first class mail immediately after enrollment in our program.

Although this is the first time in our 1.5 years of administering complimentary memberships for the Wounded Warrior Project have we erred in this way, we have sent a reminder bulletin to our call center to proactively identify any possible future repeat of this type of regrettable scenario – a complimentary membership customer later paying for our services – in the future.

Finally, regarding the customer’s comments how we administer our program. We have been in business since February 2001, and the number of customers he cites have all been resolved with our customer service team. We also take great care to respond to public comments to set the record straight and inform others when applicable. Because of our dedication to our direct and personal customer care team, Veterans Advantage has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and we are proud of our efforts to maintain this hard-earned reputation we’ve built for the last decade.

Respectfully,
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   jeffvaughn +2 Votes
The CEO of this company called and helped me personally with this issue. I just hate the fact that I had to come on this website and complain to get something done about getting a refund. I understand employers cannot sit over employees all day to make sure they are doing the right thing. I am upset that I had to do this but I am happy that he took time out of his day to help me. I want to personally apologize to Mr. Higgins for posting this about this company. Thank you Veterans advantage for supporting us.
 12th of May, 2010 by   Member Services 0 Votes
We respectfully disagree with this latest posting from "newdawn" -- The Veterans Advantage special offers section very specifically separates the 25% discount offer from the free DVD with membership. This consumer also participated in a 30-day trial for those not yet ready to pay full price, which charges only $4.95 processing up front, substantially lower than what this consumer mistakenly expected to pay (25% discount).

Special dedicated product URLs in a special dedicated "Special Offers" area of a Web site is a very standard E-commerce practice. Any consumer can get to this standard page by clicking "Plan Options" in our standard navigation bar at the very top of our Web site to see the terms of the offers, and access the special URLs. All of which, again, are distinct and separate offers. Because of this, we are not sure why our own live phone agent would have said what newdawn alleges, but it appears a second call to us clarified the situation.

We apologize this customer was disappointed, but we believe Veterans Advantage made every effort to communicate this online, and through two dedicated live representatives. We feel live representatives giving instructions about our benefits differentiates a lot from what exists on the Internet, and worth the extra costs we incur to support it. Further, we are proud of our track record on this thread to monitor this type of activity and personally respond so future miscommunications do not occur. We also continue to post our contact information -- which all customers receive -- so that members can make an informed decision about how to manage their Veterans Advantage membership directly with us, and to their satisfaction.

Because of the seriousness with which we handle all customer comments, and the direct nature we strive to resolve all of them, we've been able to achieve a hard-earned A+ rating with the BBB. Why the first posting on this thread calls our resolution history, in collaboration with the BBB, "unfortunate" is puzzling, disturbing and damaging to an organization which is actively employing standard practices for high customer service for a group we are very passionate about serving.

Finally, we are grateful for the Veterans Advantage customers who have come to this forum to defend our company. To see consumers going the extra mile to actually *defend* a company on this complaints-only Web site, we feel speaks very clearly about the credibility with which we conduct our business, and how seriously we feel about doing the right thing for our customers.

Respectfully yours,