University of Phoenix
The University of Phoenix is a huge scam meant to con people into taking worthless classes while they take your money. They need to be stopped. If you have been victimized by them as I have, please e-mail me. I am trying to get a class-action suit together to sue the University of Phoenix for their fraudulent activities.

Pauline De La Garza
Complaint comments Comments (43) Complaint country United States Complaint category Colleges and Universities

27th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
We are a private investigation firm, with class action lawsuit lawyers on our side. We are on a hunt to bring this company, University of Phoenix of Apollo Group to justice, due to manipulation and theft of their company.

If anyone feels like they have been treated wrongly from University of Phoenix, UOP, Apollo Group, or any affiliates of this company please contact our fraud email uopfraud@gmail.com

It is very important to inform us of your experience at their school. This will be a class action, civil suit.
 15th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have the same problems as some of the students have in trying to get back in school, and the school has not

gave me an pay scale plan as yo how I am going to pay the school back.
 28th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I was also tricked into thinking University of Phoenix is a great school and enrolled. I was very disappointed with their online degree program after jut 1 short week so I withdrew from the school.

I was in shock when University of Phoenix "decided" that I owe them $750 for withdrawing after just 1 week. And the thing is, they don't tell you any of it and they keep insinuating each and every student to just try it.

The top people who are running Univ. Phoenix absolutely do not care about the student's well-being. They JUST WANT YOUR MONEY ANY WAY POSSIBLE.
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I spoke with a UoP relations specialist and she assured me that they are continually looking for improvements in their educational methods. So that was good to hear, that they are changing their ways.
 28th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I enrolled at UOP in June of 2009 to get my AA in Business Management. After a year and a half and coming close to completing my degree I began to talk with public universities about enrolling and obtaining my B.A. I was informed that UOP degrees do not meet the state of Florida educational guidelines therefore most of my 64 credit would not transfer and I would have to attend an school that meet these guidelines and complete another AA from the school I chose. So I finished the classes I was currently in at UOP, made sure I passed and withdrew from the school and enrolled at another school to finish my A.A. degree which I practically have to start from the beginning with. Now my financial advisor from UOP is calling me telling me that I owe them $2350. When I ask why, they tell me that they had to return funds to the government that were due to be disbursed next year and I have to pay them for the returned funds. I think not, they are saying if I do not return the funds that they will hold my transcripts until I pay the money I owe. Well at least I was smart enough to request the transcripts the day before I withdrew and have already received them and they can take their threats and stick them. I was made to get loans by my financial aid advisor and now am in debt for a useless degree. I will be contacting an attorney for the cost of the loans, the lost time of getting a worthless degree and harrassment.
 28th of Dec, 2010 by    +1 Votes
should have researched this before going to UOP - quite a few stories like this all over the place...not to mention most employers dont even look at UOP as a real school...
 29th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes

Have you tried working with the Office of Dispute Management regarding this issue? They are a department within the University that works with students regarding issues of this nature, and they would be glad to look into your dispute. Please contact the Office of Dispute Management at UofPhoenix@phoenix.edu or at 602-557-5566.

Kind regards,
Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator
for the University of Phoenix
 4th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I agree... I think that the University of Phoenix online is not all truthful about their educational business practices. I think that they set students up to fail at least one or two classes just so that they can make extra money. I also think that the way that their GPA system is calculated with B- being like a 2.7 is a bunch of bull^$#@! Any B should be a 3.0. I also think that they do not always give students their correct amount of excess funds that are due to them. I think that we should all report them to the Better Business Bureau.
 1st of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Look at how many Fair Debt Collection laws have been violated in an attempt to collect an alleged debt. Look at how many Fair Credit Reporting laws have been violated to attempt collection of an alleged debt or embarass soemone into paying an alleged debt. Another good question: What authority does UofPhoenix have to collect debt on behalf of the U.S. Dept of Ed? NONE!!! They try to collect PELL GRANT money from anyone who thinks about attending or actually attends! I have spoken to an authorized represenataive of the US Dept Of Ed and the formal statement is: Uof Phoeniz HAS NOT EVER been authorized to attempt to collect any PELL GRANTS for the US govt! The CEO of Apollo Group which owns UofPhoenix paid $45Million cash for his son' s Malibu, CA mansion while he attends Pepperdine! Where did that money come from?
Individuals like you and me who are not sure what to do. I think IU know what to do-SUE THEM IN FEDERAL COURT AND MAKE THEM SPEND CASH ON LEGAL FEES! They are a corporation and CANNOT represent themselves! Classify the lawsuit as a 440-other civil right case- then they will have spend more money to hire a Civil Right Defense lawyer! Remember- it is only about the laws and civil right that were violated and broken causing you damages in the attempts to collect an alleged debt. When you sue them - it has nothing to do with whether you or owe anyone or any entity money!!! You did break any laws trying to collect allegded debt! Why do I refer to an alleged debt - because until someone can prove I owe them money- it is not a valid claim! It can be legalized extortion! marcie.salmon@yahoo.com 512-809-2072
 7th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was with phoenix university for my batchlor degree and the finacial aid office never gave me finacial but gave me 3 classses I know owe the collage 50000 dollare. My name is beverlt torrance contact me at 847 903 1591. My email address is beverly.torrance@my, iadtchicago.edu I am tring to sue the collage as well.
 22nd of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
There seems to be a lot of disgruntled people on this and as a former finace advisor at Cal State San Marcos I can tell you that it is not a scam. The difference is that at a public/private school there are deadlines for students to fill out their paperwork for the next semster where as the typical for profit private school allows you to start while you are being certified by the federal financial aid. A school does not determine how long the government takes to certify your funding for school and the school waits just like you do. Furthermore it is completly untrue that financial aid gains interest while in the hands of the school. Interest on a student loan is accrued in the name of the student for them to pay back a loan. So that should be common knowledge. For example a bank can lend you money but you still pay them interest. The school is not lending you the money the government or whoever your lender is. As for the student who was in the wrong program I see that all the time at a lot of schools both private and for profit. A lot of for profit schools are a joke but I will say that with UOP having so many students and happy graduates you wonder how many peopl are actually upset about their education. I went to UCLA and there were plenty of people who were misadvised and told to take courses they didnt even need. The bottom line for people to remember to read what you are doing and ask someone you trust because often strangers either dont care about you really or what to do whats best for you.
 18th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
Marcie Salmon is a fraud
 18th of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
One thing I am certain of at Univ of Phoneix, if you pay the money, you will get the degree. It is so beautiful! You can not fail, and you get a degree, just no education guarantee. Remember that if you ever look at resumes.
 18th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have attended the university of phoenix for almost 3 years now. I recently withdrew from the university because of the lack of quality for my program and I could never get a response from either my financial advisor or my academic advisor. I am now receiving threatening phone calls and I am being told that I owe the university $3610.00 for two classes that for some unknown reason my FAFSA won't pay for. This school is a joke and a rip off!! I am unable to get my transcripts to attend another university until I pay the balance. I am a single mother and I don't have that kind of money even if I believed that I owed them the money. It is terrible what they do! I still have yet to receive my diploma from my associate degree that I obtained back in February almost 5 months ago...
 19th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
Hi, Kendra:

I'm sorry that you're upset. Please know that I would like to assist. If you would like to file a formal grievance with the University, please contact me at libby.bailey@phoenix.edu for assistance.

Libby Bailey, Dispute Operations Manager
 27th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
Don't worry about your transcripts, Kendra. Having worked for many years at colleges and universities, I am comfortable saying that the majority of your classes will not transfer. I don't say that to be mean. It's just a fact. You just need to get away from that school as quickly as you can. Don't give them anything you don't owe them. Don't worry about your transcripts. Just act like it never happened. They're not worth it. Just ask...well...everyone in the academic community.

Good luck!

7th of Dec, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have been "attending" Ashford University for 2 years now and I am 4 classes from getting my degree. I will be recieving a good size raise from my company for earning this and I have not one had to pay Ashfrd a dime while using my Post 9/11 GI Bill. Some people have said on this forum that they were billed and collected, well it isnt happening to me. Perhaps there are a few loose screws in this university but with only a few months left I have been getting a decent education and have not paid a dime... I also get books for free through them (and sell them back to an online company and make money off of them). So don't be judgemental on one person's review. It has been bad to some students, but it has been good to others.
 11th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
I am currently a third year student at UoP. I am $31, 000 in debt. I recently (March, 2013) had to drop a class due to an unexpected health issue but instead of sending leave of absence forms, my academic adviser just put me in the next available class. Needless to say, I could not attended weeks one or two of this forced class. I have now, done more research on the history of UoP and I also believe they have misappropriated my federal funding to improve their bottom-line profit. This accusation alone should be a concern to someone at the Department of Education but I do not know whom I should contact. I have not officially withdrawn from this fraudulent for-profit school but I have currently been blocked from accessing my payment history information. I am very concerned I will become just another statistic and my current FASFA eligibility may be used or returned by them, which will leave a balanced owed on my account. I need help.! I am determined to finish my BS of Business, concentrating in sustainable enterprise management, but it will not be at UoP. Please contact me at jgrace010@gmail.com if You have any information that could help me and hundreds of other people who have been defrauded by this institution.
 8th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
DO NOT ATTEND University of Phoenix! You will loose time and Money Period! This is a set up! A person with no previous math experience will fail! There is no support here and you will lose! They have no one on one support with your math! If you are an online student for the associates program...you cannot attend on-campus math courses unless they can sell you some more education, which isn't worth the paper it is written on! Customer service sucks! You can call their nonchalant academic and financial advisers all you want! RUN FROM THIS INSTITUTION!
 19th of Sep, 2013 by    0 Votes
We’re working on a project centered on improving transparency and increasing student success at for-profit universities. We need input from you! Please take our student survey to tell us more about your experiences. Here is the link to the survey: http://action.seiu.org/page/content/respondent-survey/

University of Phoenix Logo University of Phoenix