UBuildIt

Fraud and cheating

4.75
UBuildIt
ubuildit.com
We hired and signed a contract with Ubuildit Bethesda to help us with building our dream home in Arlington Va. Ubuildit started out strong and very helpful. But as time went on the owner decided to layoff his staff that was experienced in home building, once that happened many things began to go wrong, deadlines were missed, site visits weren’t happening, and construction mistakes started to pile up which were very costly.

We tried to discuss the matter with the owner, Chad, even paid him money ahead of schedule due to his bad financial situation, but he wouldn’t discuss the situation’s real issue, that the services we purchased weren't being provided. He invoiced us for the next draw due to him ahead of the planned/contractual time frame and 3 weeks later put a lien on our home.

We are now forced into costly law suits and him attempting to destroy our dreams. I have met with him to try and discuss the situation but he simply wont budge. stay away from all Ubuildit Bethesda, this guy is a scam artists. Feel free to contact me for details if you are considering using Chad for your project.
Complaint comments Comments (28) Complaint country United States Complaint category Building, Construction
More UBuildIt Complaints & Reviews
UBuildIt - Incompetence

Comments

14th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
We too had a horrible experience with UBuildIt in Charleston, South Carolina. Here are some details that were submitted to the better business bureau.

We hired U BuildIt as a consultant to build our home in October of 2006. The fee was cost plus 7% During our initial conversations with, they stated that the last 10% was to be paid when we were 100% satisfied with the services provided by UBuildIt. UBuildIt mis-represented its services. We were sold that a contractor would be on our site daily. There were several personnel changes after we signed our contract. the original site manager was replaced before our building process started. The new contact did not have any experience or skills in building. As well, he made at most 10 site visits. Our contract stated at least 27 site visits. He is not a licensed contractor. He was unable to determine structural mistakes in the early phases of our project. It took our qualified subcontractors to find and correct these errors. UBuildIt did not have a licensed contractor readily available. The only licensed contractor, was several hours away in Beaufort. There were several instances when we needed a contractor immediately to help us make structural decisions, and we were left to do that on our own.Many of the subs recommended produced less than quality work when we went to see their work. our engineer made multiple errors on our plans that cost us time and money. One of the subs had work that did not meet our quality expectations. UBuildIt mis-interpreted our block foundation quote. The firm miss-calculated this quote and left out the cost for the actual block. This error cost us $10, 000. We received a bill from UBuildIt on 3/14/08 (sent to our previous address). We followed up with a letter asking for an explanation of the fees due (dated 3/15). Instead of a response, the account was sent to collection (letter dated 3/20/08.. UBuildIt mis-represented it's services.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Sounds one sided in this complaint.
 1st of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I also had a terrible experience with UBuildIt in Greenville, South Carolina. I simply wanted an information packet with a DVD. I completed a request on the ubuildit.com website for this InfoKit in early July. Robert Raditz, the local owner called and talked with me on July 13 and sent a follow up email. He wasn't overly friendly, but I thought he would send an info packet. On September 9, I emailed Robert and told him I had not yet received the packet. He neither replied to my email or sent the packet, so I followed up at the end of September. He told me, "I'm NOT required to send out anything I deem not useful" and he also said he doesn't want to waste his time and money on info packets.

So I called corporate UBuildIt. They appeared friendly and helpful, but they weren't. Robert told them that I was ignoring his calls and emails and corporate is believing him (even though I have documented electronic proof that it's the opposite). So now, Marianne at corporate will not return my calls or email and she will not give me contact info for her boss (Chuck Warrender, the founder of UBuildIt).

Now, after doing a search online, I see poor BBB ratings and many complaints. As I told UBuildIt in this case, "If you're not willing to help by sending out an InfoKit that you advertise, how in the world could I trust you to help me build my house?" STAY AWAY FROM UBUILDIT!
 11th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hi
I was given the opportunity to open a UBuilD franchise, am researching how are they doing and what the people think. So far I haven't heard any good comments.
That is interesting because on the interview with them I was shown only good testimonials, so I asked them Where are the BAD ones. No answer was given to me. Do you think it is a god opportunity or a way to loose money?
 15th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
I would proceed very, very slowly and carefully with this particular office. To hit the highlights of my personal experience with them...

1. Bethesda had way too much contact with the bank. At one point I told the bank not to talk to U Build It unless they spoke to me first. Bethesda kept communicating with the bank to inquire into the status of my loan. This is when I had told Bethesda I was not ready to move forward until I had pertinent information.

2. The bank accidentally put me on a chain of emails where Bethesda was inquiring into the financial health of potential customers. I assume that's legal but the contents of the chain just didn't seem right.

3. Bethesda kept pushing me to get a loan and move forward with Phase II without having an accurate cost to build estimate. Bethesda came up with some ROUGH, ROUGH numbers and said it would cost this to build. I explained time and time again that I wasn't moving forward until I had a cost estimate for each item in the house.

Long and short...don't let Bethesda push you into anything and make sure to double check everything before moving forward. I liked the ubuildit concept so I went to the Annapolis office but they went out of business. Didn't even tell me really and gave my contract to the Westminster office. So far Westminster has been fantastic.

I kept the email the bank copied me on and I have a long email I sent to Bethesda detailing why I was not moving forward with them. If you anyone would like copies, please let me know and I'll forward.
 25th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
UBuildIt-Bethesda and client settled their dispute and the lien for non-payment was released on October 15, 2008 when payment was received. This experience was very unfortunate and in no way indicative of the typical client experience. There is no more transparent system in the world for building or remodeling your home. All UBuildIt franchises are independently owned and operated and like all small business could not stay in business without many, many happy clients. Before working with any organization like this I would encourage you to bring up concerns such as these, talk to their current clients and do the good research you are doing now to get the full picture.
 17th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
We want to share some real and recent UBuildIt client testimonials. With a system that has been around for over 20 years, and helped over 11, 000 families, we think we are doing pretty good.

Our experience with UBuildIt has been fantastic. Our questions and concerns were addressed promptly. Recommended subcontractors have been professional, timely, dependable, and of excellent quality. We entered into the idea of building our own home with much trepidation, and are close to completing construction confidently, and with significant equity. Equipped with no building experience and a small amount of working construction knowledge, it would have been next to impossible to complete our project within budget and in a timely fashion without Dave and Beth’s knowledge, patience, professionalism, and most importantly friendship. We are more than satisfied with our relationship with UBuildIt and the entire process.

For some video testimonials, visit http://www.ubuildit.com/resource-center/informational-video.html

As you should when you are going to spend any amount of money and especially on something as important as your home, meet the people who will help you, ask alot of questions including the big one "Is UBuildIt a Fit for You?" and decide for yourself. We encourage people who have issues to contact the UBuildIt they are working with or the Home Office at 1.866.828.4534. One of the ways we keep our excellent service is to hear from you.

Thank you!
 17th of Feb, 2011 by    -1 Votes
propaganda, propaganda, propaganda
 20th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
Here is what one UBuildIt Greenville client had to say about their experience and they were actually clients! "Thanks Robert ! We both are so glad we went with UBuildIt - one of the big reasons we went with you was we really liked you after meeting with you, we felt
comfortable and trusted you and knowing that we could really be involved every step of the way
and communicate with the subs and learn things through the process, which we did! we loved
it ! I loved working with you and every contractor ! They are all professionals ! Truly! You've got a great group of people and I feel like I made a lot of good friends building this house!" Cindy H.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
UBuildIt Greenville has another Big Fan! "Dear Robert, Michael and Hart, I am very blessed to have your company assist me with the building of my new house. Your professionalism and knowledge during the construction was invaluable. You personalized with dedication; the detailed building of my Dream Home like it was your own house. I want to tell you how much I appreciate your hard work and your friendships." Sincerely, Robert T. ONE VERY SATISFIYED UBUILDIT HOME CUSTOMER
 8th of Jun, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Just doing some research on UBUILDIT and have ran across these negative comments.I found it intresting that in several forums there are the same 3 complaints that are voiced over and over, I would have to say with more than 11, 000 completed projects and only 3 morons complaining that they werent acting like a G.C. when they only hired a consultant, is pretty dam good! These people need to grow up and take resposibility for their own screwups, If they wanted a G.C. they should have hired one(I AM SURE THEY WOULD HAVE MADE HIS LIFE HELL ALSO!AND PAID 30% MORE) instead of a consultant, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink! I have no affiliation with this company, I have never even talked with anyone with this company, I dont even know if they have an office in tulsa, So what i am saying is this must be a great company to have completed so many projects IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY with so few complaints.
 8th of Jun, 2011 by    -1 Votes
Oh right, no affiliation with the company. SURE. Now about that swamp land.
 23rd of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
The UBuildIt office in Bethesda Maryland closed last year. We hope that if you have any complaints about a UBuildit office that you first contact that office and work towards resolution first. You can always call the UBuildIt Home Office at 1.866.828.4534
 23rd of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
We at the UBuildIt Home Office can provide you with a toll free number to call us if you and your local UBuildIt can not come to resolution - 1.866.828.4534. Many of the offices listed on this website are now closed - Charleston SC, Bethesda MD/Arlington VA As always, we hope that you and the local UBuildIt work towards resolution. In most cases this has been the best way to work out any issues. Thank You!
 23rd of Apr, 2012 by    -1 Votes
These follow up "positives" are so phony! No homeowner is going to scour the web looking for complaints to add on to. And as the person who started this complaint, I now have land and am ready to build . . . without UBuildit! Gee Robert, don't you think an info packet would have been worth it?!
 13th of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
U Build IT should change there name to U Build SHIT. The Oklahoma City branch is a total fraudulent scam. BOB BRAUDRICK IS A FLAT OUT LIAR.
 30th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
Where they screw you is on your budget. They lure you in to signing a house you think you can afford by lowballing and eliminating items. You even go through a planning stage where you plan everything out including your budget on some spread sheet you might as well blow your nose on. Next you get your construction manual and you notice things are simply left out of it that you did not agree to. You ask them about it and they lie through their teeth saying "you said you would do it". they are things that most ordinary people cant or dont have the equipment to do it with. So you end up hiring it out and guess who gets stuck with the bill? YOU! These people do not care how many small children you have, or who you are. If you plan on building with them it would be worth the time to find a G.C. pay him something to look at you budget and see what he thinks before you even break ground and start making draws from the bank. If not your project will be doomed from the beginning. Their out is that YOU are the general contractor. they are only consultants. So YOU handle all overages. Most people can schedule tradesman and do some of the duties of a G.C. with some guidance. However, THEY handle the budget in the beginning and thats where it happens. It would also be a good idea to have about 40% of the cost of THEIR budget stashed away when this all happens.
 30th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
I just forward all the negative comments to Ubuildit Bethesda and when they respond and at that time they will post the persons personal information that is attempting to sue them. It is a shame the person that is posting negative remarks do not have the guts to give their info so everyone can verify.
 30th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
You might send it to Bob Fraudrick in Edmond Ok as well, because it was his group that gave me the worst experience of my life.
 30th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
Yes, Bob and Mark Abel in Edmond, Ok have made ours a horrible experience as well. They lie with the budget. never got Multiple quotes, 12, 000 off on lumber alone when they had plans in front of them, then when we were already over 40000.00 before interior had ever started so we had to finish the whole inside out ourselves. if we would have had to hire that work done as well we would have been over 75, 000. From 100.00 sq. ft. has jumped to 125.00 per sq. ft. with us doing most the work. how does that happen. Initial budget is a joke. They will not admit to any wrong doings. Don't fall into the same trap we did.
Mark Abel helped me resolve my issues.

Contact Us