logo

BAD SERVICE

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

TurboTax Complaints & Reviews - What a nightmare!

TurboTax Contacts & Informations

TurboTax

Posted:    Anne Kei

What a nightmare!

I used turbo tax online to do my taxes myself. What a nightmare. Filing for federal was free, and state taxes is a little over $30. I lived and worked in New York and Mass that year and so it cost over $60 to do it myself. Plus I accidentally clicked "deduction maximizer" which charged me an extra $10. Ok. That was my fault. So total was $76. I dont own property, im single, no kids, blah blah just had a couple of W2 forms to file.

An error came up at the end saying I could not file my MA state return electronically because in MA if you are a part year resident you have to mail in your forms. No big deal. Right? It told me to print out and follow the directions but the directions told me I e-filed and no further action was needed. Checking on the status, however, my MA return did not appear. I tried it a million different ways with the same result. What the *!@^?
So I contacted customer service. I told them I can not efile with my MA return I just needed to know what to do. After and hour of bullshit of these people who had NO idea what was going on, asking pointless questions and going in circles, I realized that there must have been some weird malfunction on their site that caused it to print out saying I had efiled. They kept making me check how the status was and transfered me around and no results. Said they could do nothing for me. I paid $76 and they can't do anything!!!

I ended up calling some revenue department or something in MA and a guy was like, here's an address just send x y and z and your all set. Took me 5 min to get my damn answer.

I will NEVER use turbo tax online again. Not only does it not work properly, customer service SUCKS.
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Apr, 2008 by   Robert Wolf 0 Votes
I have been using Turbo tax for at least 15+ years more or less.This year the look and feel interface I thought was better.although the videos now lack that personal touch ..AND...I experienced I won't SAVE, I WON"T PRINT nIgHtMeREs that cost me hours of work and ruined my week end ! There was little advise for my problem online that would help. IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO CALL TURBO TAX ABOUT A SOFTWARE PROBLEM. Also I usually do my mom's tax and this year Turbo tax would not let me do it. I IWILL NEVER ...EVER...USE TURBO TAX AGAIN OR RECCOMEND IT TO ANY ONE ! I WILL TELL EVERYONE THAT I CAN ABOUT MY nIgHtmarE THAT I HAD THIS YEAR USING 2007 TURBOTAX PREMIRE AND EVERY YEAR FROM HERE ON OUT!
Customers hate dead end streets. TurboTax Customer support seems to me non existant.
 9th of May, 2008 by   Ross L. Poling 0 Votes
I have problems with Turbo Tax this year because I was sent a program because I was a repeat customer, The price was not on the box on in it, price came up 98.00 when I was ready to file. At Walmart, Sears, Staples or other it was 25.00 cheaper.Thanks Turbo Tax for trying to rip me off.
We filed Feb 1st and we though we had all the up dates, guess what we did not, now we have filed and have had problems ever since, just this pat week the tax rebate was to be by the 9th not now Thanks Turbo Tax again for screwing up again.
There should be more fee's levied against them for selling products before they are ready.
 23rd of Jan, 2009 by   oldddog 0 Votes
Turbo tax would not even recognise my bank account for state return It did for the feds & it was the exact same bank then they tried to double bill me on top of it hadproblems with them last year too they kept giving me the run around for 2 weeks before they got problem straightened out last year This year tied them again when they tried to over bkil me I cancelled with them before filing return & did it through another program while therir forms are easy to use their prcessing sucks donkey cock I Wil never again use these guys Had no problems what so ever with H&R Block program was a little harder to use but did the job it wassupposed to do with out a hitch
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   travis63901 +1 Votes
I thought Turbo Tax would be great! Right! I have used them in the past but won't anymore. I even have referred alot of friends and family to use Turbo Tax. Wished I hadn't. I got my state refund back but today is 2/10/09 and IRS said they deposited my refund. My bank hasn't received it. I called Turbo Tax, and boy were they friendly and helpful! THey told me I needed to contact Santa Barbara Bank and Trust that my refund was handled by them. WHY? I called SBBT and they weren't anymore helpful or friendly. Now SBBT tells me to wait 2 to 3 days and if I do not receive it then called them back. Oh they all said they understood that I was angry (No I was pissed) but it was out of their hands and the IRS should not have told me that my deposit was done today. What a rip off, they get my money then hold it for 2 or 3 days that way they can draw interest on my money! I guess they are planning on sending the interest to me...
 16th of Feb, 2009 by   KAROLINA 0 Votes
My husband and I both used turbotax this year - i love that they promise refunds in 8 days - 4 weeks later we got our federal back - BUT THE AMOUNT WAS LOWER than stated on turbotax - I contacted IRS and apprently turbotax made a adding mistake.
We are yet to see our state return ! To call them expect a 60 minute delay, emails receive an automated message. NEVER AGAIN!
 24th of Feb, 2009 by   dolphin812000 0 Votes
I have been scammed by turbo tax and Santa Barbara bank and "TRUST" this year. Where's our class action lawsuit people? Don't care about the money, I'm just tired of all the dishonesty. ANNDDD... you know what the most ironic thing is???? The people who have been the most helpful in dealing with turbo taxes EVIL are the IRS. They have been amazing actually. You know you must be really bad when you make the IRS shine!
Side Note:
A Santa Barbara Bank and "trust" employ I spoke with told me they are bombarded by calls each day with people upset about these unfair practices. She said she wishes someone would do something to fight it, but that everyone "shuts up once they finally get the money". Even when it's WAY LESS then what they were owed. WHERE'S THE ANGER????
 21st of Mar, 2009 by   ldalbert 0 Votes
I totally agree. Where is our Class Action Lawsuit against TurboTax and Santa Barbara Bank and Trust?
Yesterday I filed my federal taxes using TurboTax online (never again)!

The TurboTax website states up front that their fee for using their software is $29.95 and that includes free electronic filing to the IRS which then has the IRS direct deposit your refund into your personal checking account. At the end of the TurboTax program you are given the option of paying for your TurboTax $29.95 fee with your credit card or, having TurboTax’s $29.95 fee deducted from your refund. If you use the credit card option you are fine.

If on the other hand you opt for the scam to have the TurboTax $29.95 fee deducted from your refund you get screwed royally like I did. When you agree to have the fee deducted from your refund TurboTax then assigns your refund to a bank known as Santa Barbara Bank and Trust and that is where the trouble starts. This bank charges you an additional $29.95 fee called a REFUND PROCESSING FEE. They also collect the $29.95 fee for TurboTax for using their online tax software.

These double dipping fees to a bank are the fraudulent way that TurboTax has bends you over and reams you out. They can send your taxes to the IRS electronically they don't need a bank involved. They don't tell you that if you pay their $29.95 fee using your credit card that you save the bank fee.

On Saturday, May 21, 2009 I called TurboTax and spoke to a representative who told me that there is nothing that they could do. They suggested I call Santa Barbara Bank and Trust so I did. I told the representative of Santa Barbara Bank that I wanted to rescind the agreement to have them handle my income tax refund for me because of the confusing way TurboTax has their check-out for payment set up. I told the representative that I wanted to cancel any agreement with them getting my refund from the IRS and that that I would pay TurboTax the $29.95 fee with my credit card. The representative with the Santa Barbara Bank and Trust said that there was nothing that they could do.

A class action lawsuit should be filed against TurboTax and Santa Barbara Bank and Trust to stop these types of thievery ASAP. After running a search on the internet by typing into Google, TurboTax and Santa Barbara Bank and Trust Scam; I see that thousands of others are in the same boat as me in regards to being scammed by TurboTax and Santa Barbara Bank and Trust.
 30th of Mar, 2009 by   Jamie Harris 0 Votes
"Transcript of the actual conversation I had with TurboTax today, with someone named ANJINA.*

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to 02_Ajina Chandran R.

02_Ajina Chandran R: Thank you for contacting Intuit, My name is Ajina. Could you please give me a moment while I go through your question?

Jamie Harris: yes

02_Ajina Chandran R: If I have understood you correctly, you were asked to pay for federal program. Am I correct?

Jamie Harris: yes

02_Ajina Chandran R: Jamie, Please note that you will be charged for the basic program.

02_Ajina Chandran R: If you want the federal program for free, then you have to go for the free version.

02_Ajina Chandran R: In free version, the federal is free and will be charged for state program in the amount of $30.95.

Jamie Harris: i selected the 1040EZ edition, basic, free for federal. why do i have to pay 29.95 for federal?

02_Ajina Chandran R: Have you selected to pay for the charges from the tax refund?

Jamie Harris: i don't know what that means.

Jamie Harris: no. not yet. i do not want to pay for federal. it is supposed to be free.

02_Ajina Chandran R: The rate of $29.95 is for the basic program.

Jamie Harris: for federal and state?

Jamie Harris: my total came to 69.90 for turbo tax basic when it only should have been 39.95 for just state. i am getting charged for federal too when i is supposed to be free with the basic option!!!

02_Ajina Chandran R: Jamie, The basic program does not have a free state program.

Jamie Harris: i know this, but why am i getting charged for FEDERAL!?

02_Ajina Chandran R: If you are using the basic version, you will be charged for federal as well as state program.

Jamie Harris: but the 1040EZ basic option states that federal is supposed to be FREE

02_Ajina Chandran R: Jamie, There is a separate turbotax program called free edition where you can
prepare the federal program for free.

Jamie Harris: THAT IS WHAT I FILLED OUT. why is it charging me?

02_Ajina Chandran R: Did you include W2 in your returns?

Jamie Harris: yes, both of them.

02_Ajina Chandran R: Please note that the free version will not support W2, that is the reason why it is upgraded to the basic version.

Jamie Harris: that doesn't make any sense at all. how are you supposed to do taxes on a version that doesn't require a W2?

Jamie Harris: and i thought the basic version was the MOST BASIC version, which is free as shown on your home page

02_Ajina Chandran R: Jamie, The basic version is not free, you have to pay for that.

Jamie Harris: I KNOW. BUT IT STATES THAT FEDERAL IS FREE AND I'M GETTING CHARGED FOR IT.

Jamie Harris: I HAVE CHOSEN THE BASIC VERSION. WHICH STATES THAT FEDERAL IS FREE AND STATE IS ADDITIONAL. BUT I AM BEING ASKED TO PAY FOR FEDERAL AS WELL AS STATE. I WANT TO KNOW WHY I HAVE TO PAY FOR FEDERAL WHEN IT IS ADVERTISED TO BE FREE.

02_Ajina Chandran R: Please note that the basic program does not have the free federal program.

Jamie Harris: That is false advertising then. This was no help whatsoever. I will file my taxes with someone else. Thanks for wasting my time.

02_Ajina Chandran R: Jamie, Could you please provide me the link saying that the basic federal program is free?

Jamie Harris: its on your homepage! turbotax.com!!! the 1040EZ basic version states directly that
FEDERAL IS FREE and state is additional.

02_Ajina Chandran R: Jamie, this advertisement is about the free edition of the turbotax, not about the basic version.

Jamie Harris: i'm pretty sure thats the same thing. i'm looking at the homepage right now and there is the FREE EDITION (which i filled out), the DELUXE, PREMIER, HOME AND BUSINESS, and BUSINESS (all of which i did not fill out)

02_Ajina Chandran R: Then it might have upgraded to the basic version since you have included W2.

Jamie Harris: everyone who does taxes has W2's

Jamie Harris: am i correct in concluding that statement?

02_Ajina Chandran R: Yes, Everyone has W2.

Jamie Harris: so then that would mean that ANYONE who does their taxes, being provided a W2 of course, will be upgraded to the basic version and be forced to pay for federal as well?

Jamie Harris: so the FREE edition is basically a lie then?

02_Ajina Chandran R: Free version can only be used for simple returns like 1040, 1040 EZ and 1040A.

Jamie Harris: I HAVE FILED A SIMPLE RETURN. WHAT MAKES MINE SO COMPLICATED?

02_Ajina Chandran R: Jamie, In this case, I suggest you to go ahead and pay for the charges and then contact us after 24 hours through phone in the number 1-888-777-3066 so that we will offer the refund for the federal program.

Jamie Harris: LEECHES.
 13th of Jul, 2009 by   cpritchard 0 Votes
At least we're all not alone - Turbotax has an absolutely terrible customer service rating at http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/TurboTax. As of the date of this comment, they have received a total of zero positive customer service comments!
 14th of Oct, 2009 by   carolinec 0 Votes
Count me in for any class action against TurboTax and Santa Barbara Bank. Such a money making scam. We just became victims and tried to undo this option with TurboTax one day after filing, and neither TurboTax nor Santa Barbara bank would let us pay the $19.95 e-filing fee. Our IRS check is going to Santa Barbara bank, a third party and only time will tell when we will see our refund and how much this will total cost us.
 13th of Mar, 2010 by   william w hope 0 Votes
I FILED MY FEDERAL TAX RETURN ON JANUARY 23 2010 TURBO TAX SAID IT WOULD BE 3 WEEKS. SO I CHECK BACK ON FEBRUARY 23 2010 TO SEE IF MY FEDERAL TAX REFUND CAME BACK OF $798. no response of my FEDERAL TAX. SO CALL THE IRS THEY HAVE NO RECORDS E FILING. SO GO BACK ON FEBRUARY 23 2010 REFILED AGAIN. THEY SAID IT WOULD BE ANOTHER 3 WEEKS. SO BACK ON MARCH 8 2010 STILL THE IRS DOES NOT HAVE MY FEDERAL TAX RETURN ON RECORD. TURBO TAX WOULD NOT GIVE YOU DATE TO WHERE THEY SENT OFF FOR YOUR TAX RETURN. I GOING OUT OF TOWN ON MARCH 15 2010 I NEEED MY MONEY I WAS GOING OUT OF TOWN. WHEN I CHECKED WITH MY BANK TODAY TO FIND OUT IF MY FEDERAL REFUND CAME BACK IT DID NOT. I WAS SO VERY ANGRY WITH TURBO TAX SCREWING AROUND WITH MY MONEY. I ASKED TURBO TAX 6 WEEKS WHAT IS THE PROBLEM TO WHY I AM NOT GETTING MY FEDERAL TAX RETURN BACK. I TOLD THEM I NEED MY MONEY BY MARCH 15 2010 NO ANSWER UNTILL TO DAY THAT IT WAS GOING BACK UNTILL APRIL 2 2010. I REALLY BLOW UP SO VERY ANGRY TURBO TAX SCREWING AROUND NOT SENDING MY TAX RETURN IN ON TIME. I HAD TO CANCEL MY TRIP TO NASVILLE TENNEESSEE LOOSE $140 ON AIRFARE DID NOT GET TO GO TO NASHVILLE . I SO VERY ANGRY WITH TURBO TAX SCREWING ME AROUND ON MY ELECTRONIC E FILING TO WHERE MY MONEY TO COME IN ON TIME. TURBO TAX NEVER SENT ME E MAIL TO LET ME KNOW WHAT PROBLEM WAS 6 WEEKS. TURBO TAX COULD SENT ME EMAIL 6 WEEKS AGO TO LET ME KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM THEY DID NOT BECAUSE THEY CANT TELL TRUTH TURBO TAX MESS UP MY SPRING BREAK BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT SEND MY FEDERAL TAX RETURN IN ON TIME. THEY SOULD NOT LIE ABOUT HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR YOUR REFUND. I WILL NEVER USE TURBO TAX AGAIN . YOU DONT PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLE MONEY. IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 4 MONTHS TO GET YOUR TAX REFUND BACK . ELECTRONIC E FILING IS NOT ANY FASTER.I COULD HAVE MAIL MY TAX RETURN IN AND HAD MY MONEY BACK BY NOW.
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   dosent matter 0 Votes
turbo tax has begun to make up dates and numbers. with the economy like it is they along with many other companies are finding every loophole they can for free revenue. DONT USE TURBO TAX!!!
 25th of Feb, 2011 by   Fred Essex 0 Votes
Over the years I have used my Discover card when Efiling. This year when I clicked on "Discover" the window below for the credit card number would not accept it. As you know, all Discover cards start with “6011" but when I tried to enter “6" a window came up requesting I enter the credit card number! I tried several times but was rejected each time. Then when I changed “Discover” as my preference to “American Express” the number was typed in with no problem and subsequently I received the “Congratulations” for its acceptance by the IRS.
Whether it is a unique problem to the Turbotax disc I purchased or to all the discs you produced have this fault, I thought you would want to know. When I finally got through on the phone with one of your knowledgeable people she spent more than a half-hour suggesting various steps to try but nothing worked. I appreciated the time and effort she spent and indicated I would like to commend her for her thoroughness and she said an email would be sent in a few days asking for comments. This was never sent so I’m taking this opportunity to alert you to the problem I had.
 23rd of Jan, 2013 by   BruceE +1 Votes
Turbotax is trying to charge me for a state return. I live in Florida, no state income tax. You suck!

Fake Check Fraud