logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Gigats.com
Hijacked during online job application
2. (15 mins ago)
CHANNEL 7
Bruce mcavaney needs to go
3. (21 mins ago)
Chennai Govt. MTC buses - (formerly PTC)
Crowded buses & worst roads
False reveiws

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Trustnet Complaints & Reviews - "North America Consumer Promotion Draw" Scam Letter

Trustnet Contacts & Informations

Trustnet

Posted:    LookingOutForMom

"North America Consumer Promotion Draw" Scam Letter

Trustnet
My elderly parents received a letter and "check" from Trustnet. The letter claims "We are pleased to inform you that you are one of the winners in the 'NORTH AMERICA CONSUMER PROMOTION DRAW' organized for all customers of...WALMART [sic], SEARS, HOMEDEPOT [sic], SAFEWAY." They then go on to say that the prize is $50, 000, and the the check enclosed is to be cashed and returned in the form of money transfer in order to pay the "non residents" [sic] tax applicable to the winning. My parents identified this as a scam, but I thought I'd report it to help others.

Their scam uses a bunch of different addresses to confuse the reader (or cover their tracks):

- The return address on the envelope was Metro Hall Station, 55 John St., Toronto, ON M8V3C3 (I looked this up, it's a Toronto Civic center).
- The Trustnet address on the letterhead is 4333 Charles Drive, Salt Lake City (misspelled with SALTLAKE all one word), telephone 1-647-891-7807.
- The Claim Agent is listed as Nicole Newman, phone number 1-416-834-1856 (a Toronto area code).
- The Tax Agent (the person you're supposed to send $3, 880 to) is listed as Sara Jean, 453 2nd Avenue, Ottawa, Canada, M6R3C5 (which Google Maps can't locate).
- The letter is "signed" by M. Disher (Vice President), phone number 647-863-2209.
- The enclosed check for $3, 990.00, made out in my father's name, is supposedly written on the account of Helmsman Management Services LLC, 185 Decker Ct, Irving, TX 75062, from Fleet National Bank in Hartford, CT (which no longer exists because it was bought out by Bank of America in 2007).
Comments United States Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Sep, 2009 by   OMSun +1 Votes
We received one too...beware of this scam and do not call the numbers!
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   msashley 0 Votes
I just got one today and decided to do research. I already knew it was a scam because another person sent me one last year for $2, 990 and said deposit it to get $55, 000 more.
 15th of Sep, 2009 by   Syron9 0 Votes
Got one just today: $295o.00 from Bank One in Dearborn, MI.
Check Header says: National Insurance
P.O. Box 182166
Columbus, OH--43218-2166
Check #1390
Claims Agent: William Anderson
(888 ) 225-4025
"Check is for payment to the NON RESIDENTS tax "
and "The is tax is payable you your tax agent..."

Tax Agent: Mrs. Elizebeth Jones
104 Green Lane
Thornton Heath London,
UNITED KINGDOM, CR7 8BH
Rubber stamped: A. Amanda
(Vice President Finance)

Sound familiar? They even had my name of their 'check' printed out
the same way I have my personal checks printed out.
 5th of Oct, 2009 by   susstte 0 Votes
got one yesterday, only for 990.oo.said to return 910 for taxes, and i would recieve my reward of 9100, from being picked out of a drawing, Decided to check it out, there was no return address, just a number to call, 209-589-0275. Dont know if check is any good, but wouldnot send back anything, having bank hold. Thought it could be a scam too. thanks.
 6th of Oct, 2009 by   abilenekid 0 Votes
My wife got one yesterday for $3, 920. Supposed to send $2, 744 tax payment to Wendy Hamilton in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. Claims agent is Janet Reid at 1-416-822-3758. Letter was signed by C. Gilespie (V.P. Finance). Check issued from Jimmy Weaver Insurance Agency in Round Rock, Texas and drawn on Wells Fargo Bank N.A. Sounds like a scam to me!!! Interestingly, I order our personal checks through Wal-Mart Checks and just received some last week. Wonder if there's a connection????
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   notfallingforit 0 Votes
I received one of these checks today with exact same info as above: for $3, 920. Supposed to send $2, 744 tax payment to Wendy Hamilton in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. Claims agent is Janet Reid at 1-416-822-3758. Letter was signed by C. Gilespie (V.P. Finance). Check issued from Jimmy Weaver Insurance Agency in Round Rock, Texas and drawn on Wells Fargo Bank N.A.

What is scary is the name the have on my check is the way it it actually listed on my bank account (which is slightly different on my checks). I may close my checking account and get a new one.
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   alytris 0 Votes
I just got one of these and yes i think it is a scam. however the check looks pretty real, so why can't i just cash the check and not contact the "company"?
 10th of Oct, 2009 by   rkw 0 Votes
I received my letter this week. My girlfriend and I did some research and found this site. I had called the 888 number and a man with a foreign accent answered sounding like I just woke him from a sound sleep. The more questions I asked him the more frustrated the man became. I said that I would take the check to the bank and as soon as they could verify the checks authenticity then I would give him a call back. ...the phone call ended abruptly. Surprise! Surprise! rkw
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   mallorys 0 Votes
these people who are sending those checks need to be put in jail!!! i got a check today and went to cash it and the police where called on me!!! now i have taken a lawsute out on Trustnet the F.B.I. is involved!!! haha to Trustnet hope you enjoy the rest of your lil scams!!! thanks
 8th of Nov, 2009 by   Akima 0 Votes
I just received one this week as well. I looked up trustnet and emailed them asking of those people actually worked for them. I did not use the contact info in the letter. Of course the people listed do not exist.

I just knew it would be too good to be true. But as I did enter contest with one of the companies listed I felt I had to check. It would have sucked to have it be legit and I did nothing.

The biggest thing that got be wondering though was why on earth would they send a check if it were legit but say you could not cash it and that payment would be made via moneygram in one sentence and via certified check in another sentence.
There were just too many contradictions in the letter.

Glad I did not try and cash it. I feel bad for the person who did in another comment.
I hope they catch all those that are behind it.
 9th of Nov, 2009 by   pascaldowling +1 Votes
This is a fraud. The name 'Trustnet' and the logo have been stolen from a legitimate research website based in the UK and are being used to give credibility to the scam.
I am the publisher of Trustnet and can confirm that under no circumstances does our website offer money, advice, or the opportunity to transact business to US citizens for any reason.
Any communications you receive from a company calling itself Trustnet and offering services of this nature must be treated entirely as fraud and disregarded as such.

Thanks

Pascal
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   Scott Dangle 0 Votes
This is fraud. I just got one today
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   Seehergo 0 Votes
Got one today, $3920.00. Tax agent Jeff McCall, 1210-2000 Barrington St / Halifax, NS B3J3K1, Canada. Claim Agent Amanda Boyd on 1-647-831-8480.
I also filled out a survey for one of the companies listed on the letter. Too bad, lots of ways I could have spent $50, 000.
 21st of Nov, 2009 by   Royal49 0 Votes
Just received one today ftom Jackpot Link & Associate with a Niagara Falls, ON Canada address, but using National Bank of Huntington Ohio. Uses the same info as other scams you mentioned.Also the rounting number is same as check number. Contacts are Justin Anderson ot Sara Williams at 1-905-598-4587. Donna Dawson is Vice President. How they got my address is a mystery too with correct spelling of my name which makes it even stranger.Also no check is ever signed in the middle but at the top.No watermark and it either.
 23rd of Nov, 2009 by   yvonne stoose 0 Votes
Our mothers got one yesterday also. From Hamilton, Ontario. A check for 3, 000 and a phone number to call, a 905 number. He said to deposit the check to 'verify' she is who she is...then the big check would be deposited or sent via carrier...
My brother googled the number and found pages of scam complaints.
I called the number myself and the idiot answered and I said "shame on you! You have to deal with your soul some day...your conscience..." felt good?!
 14th of Dec, 2009 by   disgusted daughter 0 Votes
My mother just got one of those today. I told my parents to report it. It was a check for $3950 and came with a letter asking them to call a toll free number to speak with a claims agent. Im going to call these people tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind. Im disgusted that someone would try to take advantage of my mother like this.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by   jantom 0 Votes
Well I'm in the growing number of people who just received this letter. Mine was for $3950.00. With all the same verbage. I hope the F.B.I. checks out this web site.
 19th of Dec, 2009 by   shelly_rk 0 Votes
I received on today as well. I was told to cash the check for 985.00 but mail them back 900.00. The evenlope was postmarked Ontario, the letter came from was from Trustnet with a Texas address and the "check" was from Max Credit Union in Alabama. I'm going to mail this entire package to my local attorney general's office and see if they will investigate.
 21st of Dec, 2009 by   PRAYING JANE 0 Votes
recieved one of these letters today the check is for $4, 250and all the information is the same as the first letter.I pray that they get these people soon and no one gets hurts over this. if I would have done this I would be out of my home. thank you all for the information. JANE BROWN TEXAS

ID Theft Still Persists