logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Thian boon jie design and contractor
Full of lies
2. (3 mins ago)
SapphireMembers.com
Bad experience
3. (3 mins ago)
forevermetals.com
Bad quality rings and slow delivery
4. (35 mins ago)

Transfer America

Posted:    Lewis

Scam alert

Transfer America
Transfer America AKA Timeshare Relief AKA Transfer Smart is a complete and total scam. First of all its a shell company for timeshare relief who bilks people out of up to $4000 to "get rid of" their timeshare. Yeah they CHARGE people to take their timeshare.

David MacMillan owns this company as well as 3 or 4 other brands that all do the exact same thing. They run them out a crummy little office in Torrance california. They need all the brands to hide who they are because once people have heard of one of their companies they want nothing to do with them and the complaints and ripoffs get reported online so they just keeping making up more brands.

They pay huge sums to the BBB to keep their ratings up. If you look at their primary brand they have over 60 complaints and the attorney general of vermont just fined them big time for defrauding people into believing they could get a huge tax right-off if they paid them to take their timeshare. BEWARE Transfer America is a scam to take your money and your timeshare!

Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Aug, 2010 by   LukasGilkey -3 Votes
While we at Transfer America appreciate the enthusiasm of our disgruntled competitor who posted the fake complaints anonymously, it does prove the point that you have to be very careful in regards to who you deal with in the Timeshare Industry. Transfer America helps thousands of clients on a weekly basis and we have an "A" BBB rating for a reason. Our credentials speak volumes about our company and we pride ourselves on maintaining a customer service mantra of “No unhappy client left behind.” The most important person in what we do as a company is our clients, without them we are nothing and the reason this company was started in the first place was to help people. In a competitive industry there are always people and companies who cannot stand the success of others and cannot comprehend how we can provide such good service to our clients. Our secret is the love that every employee in our company has for helping people and the desire to be the best.
If anyone has any questions about the integrity of our company feel free to contact me and I will personally address any issues you may have.

Sincerely,
Lukas Gilkey
Chief Marketing Officer
Phone: 310-755-7745
Email: Lukas@AstonMarketingGroup.com

24th of Oct, 2010 by   DMLindsay +2 Votes
Lucus,
I find it very suspicious and convenient on your part to defend Transfer America, after some snooping I have discovered Mr. & Mrs. MacMillan also own Aston Marketing Group the company hired to defend Transfer America's reputation. A conflict of interest don't you think. Don't worry about taking their picture off your site, I've already saved it for the upcoming criminal case.
 11th of Nov, 2010 by   Boston timreshare owner +2 Votes
Want to get rid of your timeshare, just call your timeshare company, they will buy back the deed. You don't have to pay thousands to do this. I sold mine back for $250.
 18th of Nov, 2010 by   MESA MOM +2 Votes
I called them and am glad I checked them out first. The man on the phone was extremely rude with me when I didn't want to drive all the way up to Scottsdale from Mesa for an appt. He called me back twice shouting at me so I reported them to the national DO NOT CALL registry because I told him to stop calling me. Very rude people.
 3rd of Jan, 2011 by   concernedcitizen23 0 Votes
I agree with DMLindsey.

It's also interesting to note that Mr. Gilkey did not address any of the claims or concerns in the complaint, instead choosing a canned PR ploy like "we've helped thousands of timeshare owners".

The claims left unaddressed are:
1. David MacMillan owns this company as well as 3 or 4 other brands that all do the exact same thing.
2. Yeah they CHARGE people to take their timeshare.
3. They pay huge sums to the BBB to keep their ratings up.

These claims, as far as my research has led me to believe, are true. There is a post about Timeshare Relief/Transfer America on Timeshare Pages at http://www.timesharepages.com/timeshare-news/timeshare-relief-i-mean-transfer-america-or-is-it-transfer-smart/

I believe that this company is simply creating a panic and instilling hysteria in desperate timeshare owners who don't know about their other options. They bring them to seminars and do not address costs until the very end. That seems like the makings of a dishonest company.

In truth, I've found that there are other companies that will complete the transfer for under $1500. Also, as Boston Timeshare Owner said, you can also sell your timeshare back to the resort. And yes, they will in some instances take it back.

Bottom line, I wouldn't believe anything coming out of Timeshare Relief, Transfer America, or Transfer Smart. Please, save yourself thousands, and do some hard work to unload your timeshare without the hassle.
 8th of Feb, 2011 by   rdallow 0 Votes
I met yesterday with a Time Share relief salesperson and quite frankly, my position after attending the hour plus presentation, is neutral on this company. That said, I did contract with them to take the Manhattan Club fiasco timeshare off of my hands and did pay them via credit card for it. I believe I have 60 days to dispute a charge and I will be checking with American Express tomorrow to verify that. Some of the representations made by the speaker at the presentation did not check out. They claimed to be in the top 500 Inc - I can't find them. They claimed an A+ rating on BBB - It's actually a B rating, they claim they transfer 500 timeshares each week or 52, 000 since they began 10 years ago. I don't find that many online stories about them either pro or minus to support that level of sales. I will keep you posted as to my success or failure with this firm.
 6th of Mar, 2011 by   elguapo102 0 Votes
Yes, We admit that we bought the Brooklyn Bridge when we purchase our Mexican Timeshares! Transfer America offered us a very expensive way out which at this time seems like a very good idea. I suppose we could have lost all of that timeshare and "get rid of them" fees at the tables in Las Vegas or Atlantic City so that is how we look at it. We are Very Relieved to get rid of these two timeshares!!! I think it was the right move since we paid for companies at three different times to sell them that DID NOTHING! If Transfer America can do this then more power to them!!!
 19th of Mar, 2011 by   Speak only the truth 0 Votes
How do you know that transfer america paid the BBB to give them a good rating?
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   Timeshare sucker 0 Votes
I have been tryin to sell my timeshare for the past 4 years and have lost tons of money in the process...my resort never has the trades that I want available...my mf have jumped up 300 dollars in the last 4 years and my resort is renting out the rooms at a cheaper rate then my maintenance fee...I have tried selling it for a dollar, donating to charity, giving it away to friends and nothing had worked. The resort has told me they will not take it back...other than using timeshare relief what other idea do you have...you seem to act like these things are easy to get out of but to me it sounds like you have no idea what your talking about...sounds like Ur one of the bitter timeshare owners out there who still cling on to the hope that they actually have something in value...I went to a timeshare relief meeting and was actually impressed with the way it was presented. It is expensive but if they can actually get me out of this thing then it will be worth every penny
 24th of Jun, 2011 by   chilidog61 0 Votes
Tug2.net is a website membership for owners of timeshares and they give great advise for a membership fee of $15.00 a year. In the past I've spent a lot of money and time trying to sell my camping membership. Finally I was able to give it away and was glad to do it because I don't care much for camping anymore. The person I gave it to was happy to pay for the transfer and paid me back for that years maintenace fee. I'm in the process of selling my timeshare right now through the free service on the Tug2 website.I will not make any money on it or come anywhere close to breaking even but I will be shed of it.
 25th of Jun, 2011 by   dja55 +1 Votes
I need to get rid of my timeshare but all the thousands I have already spent should not be added onto by thousands more. Why does this company charge so much to take the deed when they are getting it free and clear?
 5th of Jul, 2011 by   ladds 0 Votes
Anytime you hear the name BLUEGREEN...RUN!!! Biggest fraud we have gotten involved into. NEVER can get the resort you are interested in... No one ever calls you back on any complaints...Terrible...
 4th of Aug, 2011 by   Transfer America SCAM 0 Votes
Transfer America is a SCAM. We had some sales name- John R. Herrera and Sharon Reynolds. Once they charged on our credit card, they disappeared. We had called and left messages numbers of time. They've never response. They are liars!!!
 24th of Jan, 2012 by   LAEM 0 Votes
We have had nothing but a bad experience with Transfer America. Even after they said in their contract that they would pay our next year's maintenance fee, they are not doing it. They are very slow and we are still waiting for them to finalize the transfer. I would not recommend using them!
LAM
 23rd of Mar, 2012 by   fdp 0 Votes
I just tryed to use my booked unit to trade into Whistler this summer. It's been getting harder and harder each year. But this year the RCI rep asked if I wanted to rent a unit. I said, "I've checked and there is no inventory in June, July, or August." He said that's just for exchange, but there is inventory if I was willing to pay $450 - $900 (depending on the size of the unit) to rent it for a week. So now the company that I've paid a membership fee (RCI) then charges me to make a trade, NOW HAS NOTHING TO EXCHANGE, BUT WILL RENT TO ME FOR AN ADDITIONAL FEE!!! What a rip off!!! FP
 9th of May, 2012 by   licensegirl 0 Votes
My parents have been scammed by Transfer America too. They paid $3000 in July of 2011 for them to take their timeshare. In the legal agreement it said Transfer America would pay the maintenance fees for 2012. They have not, will not and are now requiring my parents to pay the fees. It is May 2012 and the transfer has not yet been made. Every time i call to talk with people at TA, i get the run around. Everyone there seems to be named "Tiffany", what a coincidence! It is a huge scam. We can't get them to do what they are contractually obligated to do and can't get our money back.
 18th of May, 2012 by   mzkitty +1 Votes
We, too, have been trying since june 1, 2011, to work with Transfer America. Our maintenance fee was paid in 2011 and we were assured that the transfer would take between 3-4 months. It is now May 2012 and we are still getting the run-around; being told that we are ready to close BUT need to pay the 2012 maintenance fee. I filed a complaint with the BBB and Transfer America has responded with lies about us and our late return of required paperwork. Unfortunately, there is a consistent thread on the BBB website with many other complaints against TA that are similar to ours, and they always end in favor of Transfer America...hmm. We should have smelled a big rat early on since this company lost our original deed, told us our resort didn't exist, and said they weren't familiar with international transfers and didn't know if they could help us. We have quite a paper trail proving that what they have stated is a lie but Ms Tiffany Gooden, who we spoke with once, has never returned our calls. HEY PEOPLE, why don't we band together and give these TA people a diaper rash they won't forget! Sorry, my daughter just gave birth and I have diapers on the brain...lol. Seriously, if we can create a class-action law suit for fraud/breach of contract, we might be able to get somewhere!
 29th of Jul, 2012 by   mzkitty 0 Votes
Here is an update regarding our transfer nightmare. My husband and I have met with an attorney who said that Transfer America did not fulfill their agreed-upon contract with us and we had the right to cancel said contract. He sent them a letter stating that since they promise a "100% satisfaction guarantee" and we were not satisfied at all, we wanted our money back, deed returned, and maintenance fees for 2012 covered. There was no response from TA for two weeks so our attorney contacted them again explaining that they would be sued if there was no reply. TA replied immediately and said that the timeshare was no longer in our names and that they had sent a check to our resort to cover the maintenance fee. They also stated that they were sorry for any delays but did not directly accept responsibility for them. Our resort is outside the US. and TA saild it will be 4-6 weeks before the deal is completely closed. We have sent copies of all correspondence with TA and our attorney to our resort and they thanked us.

I have also been interviewed on a radio program with trouble shooter Judd McIlvain where I was able to share our timeshare transfer nightmare. He wants to interview me, again, after all the dust settles. I suggest others make as much "noise" as possible about Transfer America and expose their scammy ways and contact consumer advocates through local tv and radio stations. Good luck.
 29th of Jul, 2012 by   simiral 0 Votes
Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate it. May be you can share the name of the lawyer and the phone, since he/she already familiar with the case. may be they can help us as well.
Thanks again, Simon S.
 31st of Jul, 2012 by   mzkitty 0 Votes
Certainly. My attorney is Robert A. Brock and the easiest way to reach him is to shoot him an email - robertabrock@aol.com

Sunscreen Labels May Give False Sense of Safety