Thrifty Car Rental

$25 admin fee for 0.25 toll charge

Thrifty car rental
I accidently passed through one of the many toll booths while driving around central Florida incurring a 0.25 charge.

Thrifty informed me that they have changed this to my credit card and have added a $25 dollar "admin fee".
the theiving bastards.
Complaint comments Comments (13) Complaint country United States Complaint category Car Rental
Was the above complaint useful?

24th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
I had the same problem which I believed that Thrifty Car Rental cheated when I rented a car from IAH Houston location. I have stopped and paid at every toll road with exact change. After got home from my trip I keep getting charges from my credit card for violating tollroad. Called my creditcard company to stop paying for those, they charged me over $130.00 total. Can believe what they would do to cheat me. A terrible experienced with Thrifty Car Rental at Houston IAH airport.
 15th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
FOr the second year in a row, THrifty is charging me for a phantom toll but can not produce a picture of a licenece plate. im out 51 dollars in two years and they are out a customer
 6th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I went through one UNMANED toll in Orlando and they charged me for two tolls plus $50 admin fee. My friend who lives in Orlando told me many tolls are unmanned now, they are charged to your account through your liscense plate. I live in Arizona where there are no tolls, I wasn't aware of unmaned tolls. What was I supposed to do, make a u turn and go against traffic?! Those underhanded theives!
 25th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
I experienced the same thing Dallas, TX -- 3 toll charges under $2 each -- $75 in admin fees from Thrifty. The problem is that TX and Florida have unmanned electronic toll areas. According to a rep at Thrifty Car Rental, it's easy to go through one if you don't watch the signs. If you pass through them, a bill is sent to the address of the person/entity that the license plate is registered to. The car rental contract plainly states that there will be a $25 fee for each toll charge that Thrifty is billed for during the time you use their vehicle. The rep said that you can avoid the tolled areas, or you can purchase an EZ Pass for $29 which will prevent you from being charged for the tolls if you accidentally go through one. I told the Thrifty rep that they should explain all of this to customers upfront, so they can decide whether or not to purchase the EZ Pass. We didn't have this problem with Hertz on another visit to Dallas, because we upgraded to a vehicle that came with the EZ Pass. Car rentals are so expensive after you pay all the "extra" fees & charges -- I'm thinking a limo may have been cheaper :)
 29th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same Problem i was down i florida the weekend before they went all speedpass on the turnpike. I too had passsed trhough 7 tolls. Thrifty has the Gaul to tell me they have to pay 25 dollars per toll. It should be trhifty's responsibility to better inform us or make speedpas mandatory in each car. Instead they are screwing me to the tune of 227.50 . NEVER WILL I RENT FORM THRIFTY AGAIN.
this is a scehme they have to increase revenue. They are a SLEAZY COMPANY!!!
 29th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Same here...KEEP AWAY FROM THRIFTY CAR RENTAL. Waited on hold for 20 minutes to speak w/someone at the Vehicle Violations Center (they probably hope most people will hang up after 10 minutes, or they have so many people bitching they can not handle the volume). Would not want that poor bastards job, because I just gave him an earful. I was assesed a $25 fee for a "toll violation"...got onto the Florida Turnpike, which is now all speedpass. What were my options at that point. I was just informed that I could have gone to Walmart and bought one for a few dollars...oh yeah, leave the car and hike w/my three little kids down the highway to the nearest one! The gentleman also told me that on the website I could have added that option, under "enhance your trip"...really??? The state of Florida should have figured this out w/car rental companies before they enacted this...people in corporate must be doing hitchkicks! Never again will they get my business!
 30th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
My wife rented a car from Thrifty on a trip, and encountered three unmanned tolls. She tried to settle the bill when she returned the car, but was told that she would receive a bill. Well, she did- for the tolls, plus $75 in fees. No way am I going to pay an absurd charge like that. If I ever rent a car, I'll be sure not to choose Thrifty.
 20th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
A $25 administration fee is highway robbery. I used the Florida Turnpike twice and was charged for 6 violations plus $150 in admin fees by Dollar Car rental. I paid at the booths so where was I caught? George Orwell's 1984 has come true - you are being watched. The car was licensed in Florida but rented in Atlanta - no offer of a Sun Pass made when I rented. They should put it in the car manadatory and it is your choice to use it like Hertz does. Thrift and Dollar are rogues. That is the last "Dollar" they will get from me.
 11th of Mar, 2014 by    0 Votes
My husband rented a car from Thrifty Car Rental. One stretch of E470 in Denver and in 28 minutes he'd hit 5 toll booths charging us $91.05 after the $75 in administrative fees. I don't mind paying $15 for the car company to have to invoice me for the charges but $15 per violation is absolutely rediciulous. Never again we will rent from Thrifty.
 1st of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
Just received a bill from Thrifty DFW for $14.99 in tolls and $105.00 for administrative fees. Never was this clearly outlined to me prior to renting the car. You cannot exit the airport driving northbound without paying a $.53 fee. Thrifty then nails you with an additional $15.00 administrative charge. This is fraud and what else can you expect from a company owned by a private equity firm? these people are sleazy bastards and I am am done with Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty forever.
 27th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
I rented from Boston airport and was charged turnpike fees of over 70 when the rental was no where near any of the tools listed on the bill. My rental was in RI parked at my hotel while I was sleeping. So there was no way these were correct and I will not pay for these false fees. I will be taking them to court if this is not fixed. It can't be legal for them to pull this crap and I think a heafty law suite will stop them from doing this to others.
 8th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
I had a similar problem in Orlando except I had done my homework ahead of time. As soon as we left the airport we found a Walgreens and bought the Sun Pass for $5. Avoided all toll roads till we could get to hotel and go online to activate pass with rental car license plate. Next day went through toll booths. Four of the six toll booths we went through did not pick up the transponder. So they check the license plate number. Since Thrifty has all of their cars registered with toll agency (so they don't get charged additional fees) they sent bill to Thrifty instead of checking the SunPass account that I had correctly set up. I called Thrifty while I still had the car and explained situation. They made note in my contract. When I received the toll charge notice for $6.34 in toll fees and $90 administrative fee, I contacted them, sent Email with all appropriate documentation, received response that it was under review, would take 7 - 10 days. They still charged my credit card but luckily AX fraud alert did not process it. I contacted them again. 17 days later, still no response from them so I called again. They said they charged me only $6.34 for tolls. I will be double checking my credit card statement. Unfortunately, I still have $15 credit on my SunPass that wasn't used! Oh well, had a great vacation anyway!!
 28th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
I just got off the phone with Thrifty. I waited an hour to pick up a reserved car in Tampa. No discussion of tolls. Just got a bill for $45 administration fee for $3 in tolls. The tolls are from unmanned, automatic, unavoidable tolls. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM THRIFTY AGAIN. My contract showed a total amount due including all taxes and fees. The charges are fraud and should not be legal in Florida.

Thrifty Rent A Car Logo Thrifty Rent A Car