logo

Behavior

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Straight Talk, Sioux Falls, South Dakota Complaints & Reviews - Phone Activation Runaround

Straight Talk Contacts & Informations

Straight Talk

Posted:    D196957

Phone Activation Runaround

Straight Talk
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I bought 30 days unlimited service on April 6. On May 2nd my phone no longer works. Basically, I was screwed out of 4 days service. I buy a card at Walmart on May 2nd and activate it around 4:30 PM. Automated system tells me wait 5 minutes and the phone will work. 30 minutes later the phone still does not work. I call customer "service" and wait on the phone for 30 minutes. They tell me to punch in a code *22890 then wait up to 2 hours and see if it works.

So I wait for 2 hours, it's now 7:30 PM and I still have no phone service. I go to the website for answers. No help there. Just tells you to call same number I have or write, yes WRITE the corporate office. I try to log into my account, but I can't because I activated the phone over the phone and no email address is associated with the account. So I call the same number again. After getting "All circuits are busy" several times, I finally get through. This time, I wait an hour on the phone waiting for someone to assist me. When I finally do get to talk to someone, I'm told to dial *22890 again and wait. I told them this had already been done and that I can't get into the website.

So after spending over an hour trying to spell my email address to this person (English was obviously not their primary language) I get an account set up. She then transfers me to technical support and this person proceeds to tell me that "the system is down" and they cannot help me. It's now 10:30 PM and I still have no service and have blown an entire evening trying to resolve this. I log into the website to try activation there. Website says my phone is active but to wait 4 hours for the activation to complete. WTF? First 5 minutes, then 2 hours, now 4 hours?

It's now 11:00 PM and I'm tired and frustrated, so I decide to let the phone sit overnight and see what happens. May 3rd 10:00 AM I decide to try to call a friend and guess what? NO PHONE SERVICE! So again I call the phone number for customer "service" After 2 hours of busy signals, "All circuits are busy" messages, and actually getting through to be told that "due to an unusually high call volume, we cannot take your call" then hung up on, I FINALLY get another person on the phone. I explain the whole saga and about how pissed off I am and the rep sends me to tech support again. This time, the tech support person magically can fix it and I'm told to dial *22890 after getting off the phone. I told them I heard that one before, but this time I'm assured it will work. I told them I lost a day of service I paid for since it's now after noon on the 3rd which means almost 20 hours since I started activation, and I would like my service extended 1 day to be compensated. I was basically told I was SOL and that I would just lose the time they spent jerking me around.

I'm a pretty understanding person. If they would have been honest with me and told me that they had some kind of system problem and would compensate me for the time I didn't have service, I would have been OK with the whole situation. It's when you lie to me, stall, don't answer your phone, and fail to compensate me for what is obviously the company's fault is when I lose respect and confidence in the company. These guys have an auto renew feature where you can provide a credit card number and then your service can continue uninterrupted, but after being shorted 4 days of service, been lied to and avoided, do you seriously think I'm going to trust these guys with my credit card info? NO WAY. These clowns just lost themselves a customer. I would rather pay more for a reliable provider that actually has customer service.
Comments United States Mobile & Cell Phones
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Sep, 2010 by   CJ_Cole 0 Votes
my straight talk phone was still not activated after about a day and a half, and this was with trying to activate it with a new number. i used that code *22890, hoping by chance that it would work, and it did! i couldn't believe it, but i'm glad. thought i was going to have to go back to walmart and HOPE for a refund or something. thanks for the tip

Cash Machine Scam