logo

Driveline Retail
Scam
5. (36 mins ago)
Racingfanstore.com
Went on the web site and it was down

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Staples Complaints & Reviews - STAPLES SUCKS!

Staples Contacts & Informations

Staples

Posted:    MADDOG1

STAPLES SUCKS!

STAPLES
Re: Staples Sucks
Posted by: STAPLES SUCKS BIG TIME (IP Logged)
Date: November 12, 2009 05:58PM

Here is the inside scoop to their "EasyTech" Service!

I was a General Manager for them for (5) years. I was ranked #20 in the Company of 1600+ Stores for "EasyTech" Sales! I complained to the Corporate Office about how uncomfortable I was with the way we were doing business, and offered some suggestions on how to make our "Service" better and safer to our Customers. Two weeks later I was Fired without cause because I worked in California which is a "Right to Work State" meaning they can let you go for no reason! So... Here were my concerns... You decide if you want to take your Computer to them or not!

1) When you bring your Computer in, they log you in electronically and set your Computer on the Counter for processing. Any and all associates have access to your Computer and all of it's "Personal Data!"

2) None of the "Techs" are "Certified"! I repeat... None of the "Techs" have any certification or training other than a 10 minute "Staples" test! Don't believe me? Ask to see any documentation on any of their "Techs" as being "Certified" and watch for their response!

3) Their "Techs" are hired of the street or pulled off the sales floor by being able to answer this (1) question... "Do you know anything about Computers?" If they answer yes, they are hired!

4) They offer "Free Diagnostics" knowing that "If you bring it in, it is because you know there is a problem" and they will always be able to charge you to "Fix It!"

5) If they tell you that you need a "System Restore" it is because they screwed up and "Lost All of Your Files, " and are now about to charge you an additional $100 because of their mistake!

6) 90% of the "SpyWare Removal Tools" they use are "FreeWare" on the Internet! They only Have a "Norton" Diagnostics Tool, but it "Does Not Remove Trojans or Viruses!" They use "Downloaded Free Programs" and charge you $89!

7) And Worst of All! Walk up to the counter and say you are there to pick up your Computer. Give them your name, and the Computer is yours! No I.D. or Original paperwork required! Want a free Computer? Over hear the name of a Customer dropping of a Computer, go out side, wait 10 minutes, call the Store and tell them you changed your mind and are sending your associate back to pick it up... Free Computer, and Staples has to explain to the real owner where their Computer is, and who has access to all their "Personal Information!"

Remember... I tried to warn them and got fired for doing so! They are now fair game!
Comments United States Retail Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Jan, 2010 by   nocomplaint07 0 Votes
Wow, that is unbelievable what they did to you. Staples defenitely sucks. Where can I find a certified tech that can fix computers?
 1st of Jul, 2010 by   CERTIFIED EASYTECH +2 Votes
I want to go on record an say that i work for staples now as an easy tech. Fortunately for my store they do have 1 (me) tech that does hold a computer network degree. The other Fug up has nothing to stand on but i have worked on them before. I would never take my pc in for repair at any staples unless they could show me their certs. Secondly, my management team is tring to fire me using the excuse that if you don't want to be here then we will find some one with less experiance who wants to be here. LESS EXPERIANCE, NO DEGREE, NO CERT... What the F**k!?! If my PC broke and i had to take it somewhere for DIAG i would take it to BEST BUY first although they aren't much better but at least they are A+ Certified. The tech tools that he is talking about are available online from Norton. Its nothing more than i tool kit. All it does is allow staples Idiot techs an easy way to say to look at a system and let it do the work for them. If your computer has a virus. Download Malware-bytes... Its the same software program. To do Basic PC Set up... it is a joke... the Platnim Gold and silver setups... You can do them at home. Ask anytech they will tell you that you can do it at home but for some people its difficult. How hard is it to place Blank DVD/CD in a CD burner??? Anything else The average computer now adays can handle. Uninstall software remove things and install Norton 360 how hard is that. My Grandmother who is 76 knows how to do that...

Prime example of how stupid the techs are at staples...

A customer comes in and states that the computer boots up intermintantly they ask why. The other tech at my store SALES them a virus Removal at 169.00 instore... When the hard drive was failing and the bios screen said IMMINATE HARD DRIVE FAILURE REPLACE HARD DRIVE IMMEDIATELY.

If they sale you a virus removal in store. And give you a card that says instore online. TAKE YOU PC HOME you can do it from home. All you have to do is follow the instructions on the back of the card. you can do it at home or like i said DOWNLOAD MALEWARE BYTES... Its the exact same software that they use in store.

As Far as i am conserned. I WILL NEVER TAKE A PC OR ANY ADVICE FROM ANY STAPLES ASSOCIATE IN THE EASY TECH DEPARTMENT, They are idiots and have no idea as to what the hell they are doing...

Staples only CERTIFIED EASY TECH OUT
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   wacokid 0 Votes
Every Staples store and every Esay tech has admitted to using Freeware and charging customers. This is because Norton does not work. most everything stated is true. I am a manager from the New England area.
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   wacokid 0 Votes
Staples is out to lower costs by removing experienced associates. thus reducing labor costs.
 12th of Aug, 2010 by   disgruntledeasytech 0 Votes
I can't help but agree with most everything said here. I'm currently a "Certified Easy Tech" but that's a joke. A ten minute test that is TOTAL crap, and has more to do with selling than actually fixing stuff. Our resident technician is a pure genius, certified up the wazoo, degree in computer science. Our management wants us to do 3000 dollars a week in tech work, and we have basically a broom closet to work on the computers, and I'm not joking. Room is about 5 foot by 7 foot. Forget about room to actually work on them, where in the heck am I supposed to put them all? Even if every customer spent a hundred bucks on work, and that doesn't happen, that's still 30 computers in that one little room. But Staples just wants your money, and is totally unwilling to spend any to make sure the people working on your computers actually know what they're doing. They have a tuition reimbursement program, but they will emphatically not reimburse you the cost of an A+ test. And the 30 hours a week my tech works, half of that he is forced to be out on the sales floor with customers. If Staples wants to avoid serious lawsuits from the compromise of customer data, or deceptive business practices, it needs to make some core changes. The "Free PC Tuneup" is more or less a total joke, it really doesn't do a whole lot. The funniest thing is that even though the software used is a Norton product, when it scans for installed anti-virus software, it NEVER detects any Norton products, HILARIOUS. And yes, the 3rd party company that now performs all virus removals for Staples does use Malware Bytes, but if a Staples employee installs and runs it on a customer's PC, it's an immediate termination. Basically it works, so you can't use it. I'll stop now. :D
 3rd of Sep, 2010 by   uhnonymous +1 Votes
What disgruntledeasytech said is completely TRUE. . It is a horrible thing Corporate staples is trying to do to naive customers.
 4th of Sep, 2010 by   ERTHarold +1 Votes
Staples Technicians who work in the Easy Tech Department not only are certified through Staples for every product sold and service offered totaling in 53 trainings and tests at hire, and recertified every year, they must pass a 100 question test based off the A+ Certification with a 3.0 or higher. Also undergo a background check. Having an A+ Cert is a plus but not a requirement. It is up to the General Manager to higher qualified technicians. (hmm)

Saying that you were ranked #20 and operated the way you explained shows why you were fired.

Saying every Staples operates the way you were trusted to operate yours and FAILED, is very prejudice. Like saying "every person with two strict parents act the same way." Or getting a burnt pizza at a pizza house chain in New York, and expecting every pizza to be burnt in every location. Sort of immature.

It is the duties of the general manager who is paid very well, to operate the business responsibly and ethically.

__

I am an ERT, and Staples Easy Tech in the staples I work for ( in Region 1) may just be the prime example from what you say, of what they intended with free tune ups and risk free diagnostics and attempt at ethical treatment of customers in this retail age.

1st off, at staples we do not have the proper tools or workspace for certain repairs, nor are we corporately permitted to do so. If the problem is unfixable at our location, it is the General Manager's responsibility to refund the fee. Not the technician.

2nd, At our location we follow the rules, as Staples dictates in the Easy Tech Guidelines For General Manager's: "at NO TIME is a computer to be left un-attended, and NO ONE but authorized personnel (who have extensive background checks) are to look at, let alone touch a computer."

We work with Lawyer firms, doctors, government personnel such as Navy Officers, and the Department of Defense, (as we are located close to a Navy Base) as well as the general public. We have the utmost respect for our customers data, and all computers are alarmed even when we are working on them, and locked in a "Master Lock"ed cabinet bin when not. This is checked randomly by our Sales Manager and General manager twice a day.

~~~~~~~As for your theory of how to steel laptops:~~~~~~~~

If the customer we recognize (or not) does not have the copy of the work order and receipt, we are required to not only ask for a government issued (state or federal) ID, but we also have to photo copy it, and if the name does not match the work order, we are not authorized to release the laptop into their custody.

With that said, go give your personal computer to a Technician at the self degrading Geek Squad, who work for commission.

We at Staples are in an ever growing attempt to build long lasting relationships with our customers, whether it be at the copy and print center, on the electronics or HUGE office supply floor, or in the Tech Center. If you feel that you are being mistreated as a customer, you have the right to speak up! At any time go to Staples.com, on the bottom there is a selection for Comments, and type the situation and it will be rectified, whether associates need to be trained better, or General Managers need to get fired. Corporate representatives are here for you.

Thanks~ Harold
 10th of Sep, 2010 by   uhnonymous +1 Votes
No no no, please, save it. Staples "easytechs" don't know squat about computers. Its big business, retail, corporate bullsh*t. They hire people who barley know how to install an OS and expect them to work on dozens of "real life peoples" computers for outrageous prices. Just because they train you to talk to customers with conviction does not mean you are a professional computer technician. I mean they outsource half the service anyway. I say they get rid of the dreaded Easytech services becuase its giving the computer repair industry a horrible name...
 12th of Sep, 2010 by   ewokmaster42 -1 Votes
I must say, I am incredibly disappointed in many of the comments here. As many people have stated before, you can not expect every single store to operate in the same fashion. By the same token, you can not expect every store to hire people with the same qualifications. I would be appalled if I found out than any of my coworkers did not have at least basic product and service knowledge of what Staples sells. At the store I work at (also in Region 1) we have 7 EasyTech Associates, out of these 7 only 4 of us have approval to work on customer's computers. Two of those four (myself included) are college students pursuing a degree in Computer Science, both of us also graduated from a Technical High School specializing in Information Technology and are certified with the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI). One of our other technicians is currently employed at an IT firm and has successfully completed many certifications (although I'm not sure exactly which ones). Finally, our "EasyTech Expert" is the final person able to work on computers and he is A+ Certified, and we have a copy of his credential in the store. As you can see, not all stores hire employees who are unfit to service your computers, the problem is not with the Staples chain, but with the individual store to which you choose to bring your machine.
 2nd of Oct, 2010 by   Almost999 0 Votes
Uhhh...

1. Not true.
2. True in the past, now there is certification but its still not all that good.
3. True.
4. Not true Unless California stores or that particular district had free diagnostics for a while.
5. This is because of bad management. Guess that's your fault buddy. Way to go.
6. Depends. Norton toolkit DOES remove threats but it sucks. Remote virus removals do indeed use freeware but trained techs use other tools to hunt viruses down manually. Also there is a way to remove them with the in store tech PC using Symantec Corporate edition.
7. Not true in the least. The ID pickup policy has been around for a while. Unless of course you are one of those managers who sits around all day and does not work and has no idea whats going on. Hahahaaha... yeah...

Here's number 8: Techs get paid minimum wage at Staples. That's right! Intrust your expensive machine and personal data to a part-time associate making minimum wage. What a great intensive he has to do a good job huh?
 2nd of Oct, 2010 by   Almost999 0 Votes
ERTHarold wrote:

"Staples Technicians who work in the Easy Tech Department not only are certified through Staples for every product sold and service offered totaling in 53 trainings and tests at hire, and recertified every year, they must pass a 100 question test based off the A+ Certification with a 3.0 or higher."

The 53 training tests do not help. The "100 question" certification is not literally one hundred questions that an associate must answer in full and get a passing grade. You take the test until it determines if you are good enough and then stops. For example I took the test and it stopped after 10 questions and I passed.

Also the pay sucks ass. If you think minimum wage is going to make associates care enough about fixing people's PCs then you're wrong. But I don't think you can control that anyway.
 2nd of Oct, 2010 by   uhnonymous 0 Votes
STAPLES NEEDS TO GET RID OF THE EASYTECH SERVICE!!! THEY SUCK
 31st of Oct, 2010 by   D S 0 Votes
Most of what was stated is due to bad managers. All of the problems listed have policies in place so they do not happen. You simply took short cuts to get your 3000.oo per week. While it is true that sales associates don't make much higher than minimum wage, easy resident techs (who are certified) do make more money. If you are fixing computers for minimum wage, then your manager did not code you correctly, which amazingly enough leads back to the manager not doing his job correctly. So the way I see it, in any job, if you don't do what you are supposed to do, then you deserve to be fired.

DS
Region 4
 14th of Jan, 2011 by   easytech1071 0 Votes
***Yes I am a staples employee, yet, I dont fit the rather degrading profile of some (if not most) of my fellow associates
Most of the time you'll find that Staples/Bestbuy/Compusa and retail store do NOT follow the actual rules set up for them, but have some misguided or OCD manager/supervisor who insists on doing things his/her own way.

This bozo who posted the first comment sounds like a garbage manager for a variety of reasons:

1. If you are seriously so stupid as to not enforce the LP policies for releasing computers (ID and paperwork is required, if no paperwork is present, ID required to be photocopied in black and white and kept on file, no ID, no release) then there's no surprise you got fired.

2. The majority of the information you said surrrre sounds bad. OMG AWFUL. THESE GUYS ARE DICKS...please. Dude, for us people who actually know how the company asks us to do the work, and what our actual quality standards are, you sound like a joke of a manager who doesn't even understand nevermind comply with corporate guidelines.

3. Here's the god honest truth: There are a TON of certified, so-called genius computer repair guys out there. Just because you take your precious computer to a mom and pop vs a retail store does NOT automatically guarnatee you quality service. I for one have witnessed many a customer's machine that was "reformatted due to viruses" that some guy down the street supposedly did in his small shop. 98% of virus infections these days can be fixed without an OS reinstallation. But hey, what do I know.

4. Spyware tools used by Support.com (staples remote support affiliate) are not all freeware. They have corporate licensing for programs like Malwarebytes, GMER, etc but also go through a multi step verification process to insure proper remoal. Have you actually sat there and watched these guys work? They are quite thorough, but I guess you wouldn't know as you sit on your sales floor and lie to more customers to compensate for a lack of sales ability. Perhaps if you knew how to sell things correctly and offer customer service, you woudn't find this whole process so reprehensible, or hey, maybe you'd still have a job.

This entire first posting stinks of an "I just got canned" temper tantrum. Lets be honest here, if it was SO morally reprehnesible to you, why didn't you quit on your own, find a better job, and have the last laugh? But no, instead you try to win over random tards on the internet who believe anything you say as long as it jumps on the "hate on corporate america" bandwagon.

Whatever, im sure there won't be any real response from the OP. The night shift at McDonalds can be quite straining.
 13th of Feb, 2011 by   goalsetter 0 Votes
I am an ERT and my name is also Harold! lol. It is easy to slip in to a company pretending you no what you are doing. Bad management causes problems. Fortunatly at our store we have a sales manager who is knowlagable in computer repair, and three great, if not the best techs in the district. We are 100% customer driven, follow policy, and provide our customers with the total solution. You will find bad companies everywhere, unfortunatly for us the few bum stores down the rep of all of us! That just makes me want to work harder to improve the image, because I care about what I do, what ever it may be.
 14th of Feb, 2011 by   uhnonymous 0 Votes
DUDE ! YOU HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED!

WAKE UP ! DOING COMPUTER REPAIR AT STAPLES IS A RIP OFF, HOW DO U LIVE WITH YOURSELF?! YOUR SALES MANAGERS HAVE BRAINWASHED YOU INTO THINKING YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU RIP OFF UNINFORMED CUSTOMERS THAT YOU GOT BECAUSE THATS WHERE THEY BUY THEIR OFFICE SUPPLIES. THIS IS TYPICAL RETAIL BULLSHIT. THEY CAN'T LEAVE THE COMPUTER BUSINESS ALONE TO THE HONEST HARDWORKING REAL LOCAL COMPUTER REPAIR SHOPS. THEY HAVE TO GET THE HANDS INTO IT AND EXPLOIT IT TO SQUEEZE EVERY POSSIBLE PENNY OUT OF AN UNINFORMED CUSTOMER.

** FOR POTENIAL CUSTOMERS OF STAPLES ** STAY AWAY** THEY PROFIT OVER 20 MILLION A YEAR FROM THEIR "TECH SERVICES" .. THEY JUST WANT TO UPSELL YOU ON EVERYTHING.. THE SO CALLED "TECHS" ARE TOTAL NOOBS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING...
 14th of Feb, 2011 by   easytech1071 0 Votes
@ uhnonymous

At least take the time for something ressembling human discourse and come back and post something intelligent.
 16th of Feb, 2011 by   Samuel3201 0 Votes
#1 - You are 100% incorrect. Only certified techs are able to work on PC's or even be behind the bench.
#2 - You are again 100% incorrect. All techs go through various certification tests, and now all resident tech's are required to have additional certifications (A+/NET+)
#3 - Everyone has to have a chance, and their not hired "off the street" they need to have some requirements to get a job for staples if applying for an easytech position.
#4 - Duh, the whole point is to fix the PC. The customer can always decline the recommended work.
#5 - 100% incorrect. If a mistake is made it would be reported to the customer. We only recommend system restores if their is a serious problem with the system registry or infrastructure.
#6 - WRONG! Staples does not allow techs to use any type of freeware licensed software. Norton Technician Toolkit does remove viruses, but the service would have to be paid for and a more extensive search for viruses/malware/spyware would be done with that service.
#7 - 100% incorrect again, you need ID to pickup your PC, and now it is required that you must have both the old service information (receipt) and ID
 21st of Feb, 2011 by   dude69 0 Votes
oheee i'm curently working for staples and it sucks .mostly the managment, working for staples are like slavery there is no such thing called job description(you must do every thing the manager order u and u have no right to ask why ) they try to save their money on the back of their workers .if you are ...totaly they are stupid and selfish
 1st of Mar, 2011 by   disgruntledeasytech 0 Votes
Wow, glad to see this thread still alive. @samuel3201, since when are ERTs required to have additional certifications? Have not heard of this yet. I barely make more an hour as an ERT than I did as an office supply associate 3 years ago. Yet for this I am expected to flawlessly handle at least $1500/week in computer repair services, and they really expect me to do $3000. Not me and 3-4 other associates, just me. Within the 15-20 hrs/week that I'm scheduled to work, I'm currently expected to 1)Sell as many EasyTech services as possible. 2) Sign customers up for our "Free PC Tune-Up/Consultation. 3) Perform said consultatations. 4)Maintain daily contact with customers regarding the status of their PC. 5)Assist in covering breaks/lunches on the sales floor/copy center/register. 6)Achieve/exceed PC sales market basket goals, which can be challenging when it's usually "John, can you help this person in laptops that's been waiting for 20 minutes? They look kinda P.O.'ed." 7)At some point manage to turn around all services withing 72 hours, no excuses. 8)If management is feeling especially generous, take a break/eat lunch. I think overall Staples is a good company to work for, but some of it's goals, policies/procedures, and expectations need serious revamping. How did everyone like the Super Bowl ad? Did that make them all come flocking into the store? :D

How to Save on Life Insurance