Sirius Xm

Posted:

Lifetime Membership Trap

3.05
If offered, do not sign up for Sirius XM's lifetime membership program. As it turns out, after you spend hunders of dollars to become an lifetime member you are charged $75 to have them switch radios, even if you have to switch radios because of a defective radio marketd by Sirius themselves.

I purchased the lifetime membership because my wife bought me a Starmate radio for my car. Just over a year later the radio just stopped receiving a single. It was determined that this was a known defect/bug with the Starmate radios and there was nothing they could do. Okay, although I was annoyed that I had to purchase a new radio, however after I purchased the radio, they charged my wifes credit card a $75 activation fee... this fee only for lifetime memberships.

I did not purchase this radio because I wanted a new radio, I was perfectly happy with the one I had. I purchased the radio because of a defected radion provided by Sirius themselves. So not only did I have to purchase a new radio ( which I thought was ridiculous as I still have FM/AM radios that work from when I was a kid) I had to pay them $75 to switch the radio serial number on my account... taking them all of 2 minutes to do.

In my opinion this is a complete scam. In addition, when I was being talked into the life time membership, (even though it was in the fine print in the documents I received a few weeks later) I was never told this by the sales representitive.

It it weren't for the amount of money paid (in comparision to the monthly fee) and this being the only medium to get Howard Stern, I would have completely dropped the service.

Good luck to the new merged comapny if they continue to treat existing customers like garbage.

(I put this on as Unauthoizred charges because they charged my wife's credit card because after I purchased the life time membership she wanted to activate the dadio in her new card and purcahsed the monthly plan... therefore this was the only credit card that had access to.)
Complaint comments Comments (44) Complaint country United States Complaint category Unauthorized Charges

Comments

20th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sirius / XM - Expensive free commercial!
Sirius
www.sirius.com

Sirius and XM Satilite radio providers both advertise commercial free radio. Both of them have commercials on 99% of their channels. As far as the service goes it is fine but it is not commercial free. Also if you do not have a tape player or AUX jack on your car you will have to use the FM transmitter. With the FM transmitter you have to find a dead channel on your radio then tune the Sat. radio to that channel and it has a lot of static and white noise, not to mention the ugly wire that has to run to your antenna.
 8th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sirius Satellite Radio - Billing
Sirius Saterllite Radio
Easton
Massachusetts

Where do I begin with them.
2007 I got this for my husband. We gave them our CC to purchase ONE year. Now jump to 2008, my CC was auto charged the entire year with out my approval. I was less then happy. I called to complain and spoke to a guy who started to say another name and then came out with Steve (interesting right). So I was told this is auto done every year. I said that is illegal as I am not authroizing you to do this. I have no give verbal no written promission for this. I then told him I wanted to speak to a managers. I help for 15min to then be told NO MANAGERS are around (remember that it is said to me again in 2009). I said I find that very hard to believe, they would never pull all managers off the floor. I said let me talk to who is in charge. Hold again 15min. Then came back, they are all in a meeting. I said go get one or I will be contacting a lawyer and others over this, your company stole over $100.00 from me and I am not going to leave this alone. Amazing, a manager just happended to be there at that piont. Told the manager I wanted my CC removed and that I was not renewing AGAIN! after about 30min they finally agreed to what I said. I decided to keep the radio for the year as I knew it would take to long to have it removed and I had wasted enough time.
2009- never renewed and then I just get a bill for $27.25, I called Jacob (so he says) said that it is my month charge. I said I never renewed, that is when he says it was done auto. I said then why in December did you send me a bill saying if that (100+) was not paid my subscription would be cancelled. Just like a magaizine I said. Well this is the bill for the month. Again, I want to talk to a manager. 10min Jacob comes back, no mangager around. REALLY, I said are all crazy this is what was said to me last year when I complained. He then YELLED AT ME... for saying they are crazy. I laughed back and said ok I am sorry, no go check again for a manager. I am not paying this and again I will get a lawyer to discuss this with you. He then YELLED AT ME AGAIN saying that I can do that but he is not going to find a manager. REALLY. Go get a manager Thank you. After holding again for 15 min. I hung up, I mean I do have a family to take care of as well. THIS COMPANY HAS HORRIBLE PRACTICES. BEWARE!!! Sirius will try and steal your money.
 18th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sirius Xm S50 Radio - Satellite Radio S50
Sirius XM
Illinois
Phone: 630-886-0993
sirius.com

I have been with Sirius for over 4 years and have purchaed several radios. I have the S50 portable unit and I had an issue in October 0f 2007 with the radio which they eventually replaced. Now I have had the car kit not working and since October 2008 Sirius has stated it is "out of stock." So now I am paying for service and can only get service at home if I hook up my executive unit.

I have asked many times over the last six months why they do not have a program that will allow existing customers to get into a comparable portable unit. They have told me the only unit they have is the Stelleto2 and that cost $269.00 and they have no break or program for existing custmers.

It seems iteresting that a company like this has no interest in keeping their existing company or supporting the equipment that they have out there.

Looks like it is time to get together everyone that is having similiar issues.
 18th of Jul, 2009 by    -2 Votes
You do understand that the Lifetime plan is not your lifetime and is the Lifetime of the radios. Right?? Being a 3rd party observer, how is Sirius XM in the Wrong. Do you know for a fact that the problem your having is a "known" bug or defect?? Have you contacted the Manufacture of the equipment to have it repaired?? This Unauthorized charge, did they notify you were going to be charged this 75$?? If it was so unauthorized, how did they get the card number??
 3rd of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
reyrey (the person who posted right above), is an idiot! He/She/It does not know what what he/she/it is talking about.
the lifetime membership is a contract for using Sirius/XM FOR LIFE. It has nothing to do with the lifetime of your Sirius/XM radio unit.
That's what i have. I paid for in 2005, right before Howard Stern's show bagan (on satellite radio) in jan 06. I stll have that membership. I have not been charged any additional fees. I still have the origing equipment, i purchased a local store.
I understand that now there are some additional fees for new accounts. Some features, which used to be free (aka, online streaming), isn't no longer availble, for free.
Anyway, who cares. if y ou don't like it anymore, or don't wantto pay, cancel it!
 15th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I purchased a lifetime subscription from Sirius in December of 2007. At that time, lifetime was for MY lifetime, and id I had to transfer to another radio, I had to pay a $75.00 transfer fee. That is IT.

NOW Sirius IS a fraud. NOW they have changed the rules, and expect new rules to apply to old contracts. They claim LIFETIME means the lifetime of the unit. Don't be a moron. That is a scam. Anyone who hears LIFETIME does not think they mean lifetime of a unit. Why would you pay hundreds of dollars for the lifetime of your unit which is only warranteed for what, 3 months? a Year? That makes NO sense.

Lifetime means a person's lifetime, I don't care what is in small print.

Now Sirius is telling me that I can only transfer up to 3 times in my lifetime. First they said I couldn't transfer from a factory installed radio, then they changed their tone and said I could transfer three times.

This is all complete bull, regardless. If you bought a lifetime subscription when I did, you were told on the phone it was for YOUR lifetime, and you paid a $75.00 transfer fee to transfer to new equipment, unless the old equipment was defective, damaged, or stolen. I agreed to that, and if I ever lose my subscription, I will sue them. It's that simple.

alandlord@hotmail.com
 27th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes

Sirius Satellite Radio - Cacelation Rip-off
Sirius Satellite Radio

I signed up for a promotional 6 months in October 2009 and I prepaid for it. When this period was over I had no intention of renewing. I got a renewal notice and naturally I threw it away because I did not want the service any more. They kept sending me letters saying I must pay or they will disconnect the service. I was not using the service so I did not care if they disconnected. I called in May to tell them to stop sending me this bill which is around $107. The representative told me that I owe this because I never called to cancel and it is their policy. And a large portion of this charge is a cancellation charge. She added that if I don't pay they will send it to collection. In my opinion, this is a ripoff like business practice. I don't think I need to call to cancel and if I don't and maybe if I do I would still pay to cancel and charge me for a service I did not use or want.
 26th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes

Sirius Satellite Radio - Billing/Cancellation
Lafayette
Louisiana

After the first year of free internet I though it was a good service and decided to renew for one year. After that one year was over they automatically charged my credit card and tried to renew my service on a credit card that was stolen, then sent me a past due notice and told me I had to pay. So once again...i figure this was just a fluke...and decided to renew my service. This time I payed with a check so they couldn't try to automatically renew my service. Here I am again...receiving a notice telling my I have to pay are they are turning me over to a collection agency for services that I didn't receive. If I wanted to continue service I would have renewed. I don't want to renew nor can i afford to renew and now i have to pay this service. Only am I am paying this service after being yelled at by a manager and hung up on before I could barely speak two words. And of coure I tried calling back...but never could get thru to anyway. This service and company is a joke.
 26th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
They did that to me a few years ago. they said that because I had originally put it on my credit card that it gave them permission to charge it again. Needless to say I fought it and they took it off my card.After months of fighting. Good luck
 31st of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
I can completely see how this person was also ripped off. I even called and cancelled and was told 2 years later, that I never cancelled, so they have a right to charge me! Finally received a refund on some of the money they STOLE from me.
 21st of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Waaaaaa!

I bought an Audiovox PNP2 with a lifetime subscription over 6 years ago. At the same time, I bought three extra remotes. I never use the buttons or dial on the unit, because they're the parts that are by far the most likely to wear out.

If the Audiovox unit ever dies, $75 to transfer the lifetime subscription to a brand new radio is peanuts. And with 3 transfers allowed, my Sirius subscription will easily outlive me. It's far more likely that satellite radio technology will become obsolete before I have to pay for another subscription.

I've already saved $500 over what I would've paid for a monthly subscription, I get Sirius Internet Radio for no extra charge, and I'm "playing with house money" for the rest of my life.

I made out so good, I feel guilty. You crybabies are incredible!
 24th of Aug, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I just had this issue yesterday as I traded in both my wife's car and my car for new cars in the last 7 days. All the cars had factory-installed XM in them. 3 years ago we signed up for XM for life TWICE (her car and mine) at a grand total of $800. I was told that I would be allowed 3 transfers (each) during that "lifetime." When I called yesterday, I was told that I would have to pay $75 twice for the transfer fee (original contract says "a transfer fee MAY be charged"). On top of that, the rep told me that the transfer is not available at all FROM factory installed radios, only from third party portable radio units. After much discussion the rep agreed to waive this policy as I was not told about it (I still cannot find where it is referenced in my documentation). Overall, a horrible customer service experience, took almost two hours on top of it all.
 25th of Aug, 2010 by    +2 Votes
9. Lifetime Subscription Plan: A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the Receiver equipment. Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. You may cancel a Lifetime Subscription but if you cancel during the first year of service you will be charged a cancellation fee set forth in these Terms. Non Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is transferable from one Receiver to another Receiver, up to a maximum of three (3) times. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one Receiver to another or from one person to another you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of XM, it is defective. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one person to another based upon a stolen or accidentally damaged Receiver you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker
 25th of Aug, 2010 by    +1 Votes
 9th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes

Sirius Xm Radio, Inc. - Stay away
Sirius XM Radio, Inc.

NOTHING is worth the grief XM radio subjects its customers to. XM has a very creative billing procedure. You'll get random bills for a variety of packages you don't want in time increments that don't make sense. Their billing statements are obtuse and purposefully obfuscatory. Last year I had to have my credit card company handle the dispute. Here's my advice. Buy an iPod and get your own podcasts and music. You'll be listening to what you want and in the end it will be less expensive and less of an aggravation. Unfortunately, you won't get XM to listen to you unless you scream at the poor "customer service" representative -- if you can get one to answer the phone. (They have their own definition of service that I'm not familiar with. It involves abusing and annoying the customer.) I've just reached my limit of patience and cancelled my account. Some more advice: if you want to cancel your account, do not use the word "cancel" with the service rep! You'll be put on hold or they'll just drop your call. Tell them you have a billing question. Get referred to someone in billing and then demand cancellation. Good luck. You've entered the abyss. Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate. The 666 in the phone number should have been a clue.
 24th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I for one couldn't be happier with my Sirius (lifetime) subscription. I can see his point though, if you buy tires with a lifetime warranty those tires better damn well have the same amount of tread on them 300, 000 miles later. If I get a bag of Oreos and it says satisfaction guaranteed or my money back, I want to eat the whole package and bring it back empty for a full refund, no questions asked.

Stop your whining! Your equipment didn't last as long as you anticipated, it wasn't designed obsolesence, it just broke. Sirius has been a stand up company on the 2 or 3 occassions I had to call them. I don't know how you got mistreated by their customer service department, all I can say is they went above and beyond my expectations to answer questions and make me feel valued.

When I signed up for the lifetime subscription, I asked questions. Of course it isn't your lifetime, who has EVER heard of such a thing? It doesn't exist in any business I've ever heard of. As a matter of fact, a lifetime warranty can have a legal definition where as long as it is a minimum of 3 years it's all good. But they go one better and allow 3 transfers at $75 each. If you get 3 years out of a single reciever, never transfer to another, never listen online, you've still saved money. If you do decide to activate a new receiver for $75 you only need to listen to it for 6 months to be in the black on that deal.
 18th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes

Sirius.com - Poor customer service
Sirius.com

I ordered ONE year subscription and paid by check. Did not want to renew, so called to cancel. They kept putting me on hold...total phone time 42 minutes...to be told that I cannot cancel, because it is an "automatic renewal"...and apparently I am being turned over to Collections for a bill that I never received. Asked for the manager RAY CORTEZ - who was unable to help me cancel my account.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes

Sirius Satellite Radio - Stole my money
Sirius Satellite Radio

When the free six months expired on my Sirrius radio I sent in $154 for a one year subscription. I have been on the phone for 26 minutes with a lady I can barely undrstand and she won't let me talk to a supervisor. This is an awful company. Sirrius could care less about customers. They admit to having my $154, sitting there doing nothing and will not start my service. Back on hold now while she claims to be looking for a supervisor. Whether this gets worked out or not at this point is immaterial. What is material is the companies incompetance, use of people who are not adequately trained to speak English and understand a problem, and the callousness towards consumers.
 12th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
if we dont make any sense on the phones its because
A: We are sooooo tired of explaining the SAME thing to 500 pissed off people who just argue with us and expect us to bend company policies. As if we have an "erase bill" or "refund all the money" button we can just click to make all your problems magically go away.

B: We are all REALLY high. or drunk. or tweaked the fuck out. some of us havn't slept in 2 or 3 days. We may place you on hold to go snort some crystal meth in the bathrooms.

C: You people are RUDE. You call cussing and hollering. as if thats going to get you anywhere. AHAHA. We just hang up on you or transfer you to the spanish department. We sooo do not have to put up with your bullshit.
 7th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I purchased a life time subscription back on 2007 and it worked fine until this january2011 when it just stop working, i called sirius and oh sorprise my information is not on their system and the ESN of my radio is under somebody else that cancelled his subscription like a year ago...now i'm dealing with the BBB and the FCC to try to get my service back and also trying to figure this out...of course they are asking me for the receipt when i bought the subscription but i don't have it so here i'm trying to get this resolve does anyone had the same problem or something like that happened...????? any sugestions????

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree