logo

Rogers
Overcharge on bills
2. (11 mins ago)
3vuecs.com
cutting money from the bank`
3. (28 mins ago)
fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Select Comfort / Sleep Number Bed Complaints & Reviews - This product should be taken off the market!

Select Comfort / Sleep Number Bed Contacts & Informations

Select Comfort / Sleep Number Bed

Posted:    Valerie

This product should be taken off the market!

Select Comfort / Sleep Number Bed
I purchased a sleepnumber bed from your Potomac Mills Store in Woodbridge VA almost a year and a half ago. I cannot express how completely UNHAPPY!!! I am with your product. I can honestly say sleeping on a bed of nails would probably be more comfortable. I wake with a extreme back ache every morning. The middle of my mattress looks like it is sunken in and I constantly lay in a big hole. I am ashamed to say that I ever purchased this product. This product should be taken off the market. Consumers Beware!!!
Comments United States Mattresses
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of May, 2007 by   Elizabeth Ostolozaga 0 Votes
I have the same problem. Just a little over 2 years and its so bad I'm looking at getting a different bed! It wasn't cheap. I wake up with worse back pain than I had before I bought this and in my neck, shoulders etc. I sleep so bad now I am tired all day. This is pure junk! They don't tell you that the warranty means you will be replacing parts every year! And paying for them. What a rip! Make money on the front end selling this cheap product and you'll know you will have customers for the products ongoing. Real smart. Throw this crook in jail.
 8th of Jul, 2007 by   Wendy +2 Votes
I completely agree. I've only owned my Sleep Number bed for 5 years now. Most of the time I was somewhat happy with it... but not completely happy. I am now sleeping in a dip right in the middle which kills my back every night. I'd slept in the bed alone for about 4 years of that time, so it was never really an issue. Now that my partner and I are living together this is becoming such a problem we are looking at buying a new bed. I should have just made a pile of $3000 in the back yard and had a bon fire!!! That would have made more sense. Don't fall for the adjustment bit either... Once you find your number you set it and forget it. Just shop around for a good mattress that works for you. Avoid this bed!
 13th of Aug, 2007 by   Charles 0 Votes
I have had a Queen size bed (dual chamber) for 8 months now and coincidentally I have had a lower back problem and my girlfriend has a recurring kink in her upper back (behind the left Scapula). As a Police Officer it has made a negative impact on my daily job (I feel as if I am 90 years old and my movement has slowed dramatically). I find myself contemplating to pay a Chiropractor to fix me or get some serious muscle relaxers. My girlfriend is an E.R. Nurse and her kink has been affecting her at work by slowing her down. On her off days she has to take a muscle relaxer and see a Chiropractor.

I have spoken to the company and all they are willing to do is either:
1) switch out the dual chamber for a single chamber (which will make the bed feel more like a water bed since every movement will be felt by both parties) or
2) switch out the air compressor. ( how does the air compressor affect us... I have no idea).

The customer service is really good while your bed is in the 30 day trial, after that, you have to convince them over the phone that your having problems.
Example: I just spent 42 minutes on the phone with a customer service rep about the above problem. She then says that she will switch out the chambers but, because I am past the 30 day trial she can not do anything more (which is the polite way of saying " sorry sucker").

I should have done more research, now I am out $3000 and can't sleep more than 4-5 hours at a time in it.

If anyone reads this before buying a Sleep Number Bed just remember the phrase "BUYER BEWARE".
 22nd of Aug, 2007 by   Mark Thompson +1 Votes
Our King pillowtop needed to be replaced. After several years, it had gotten a bit ragged and stained. I got a quote in August, 2006 for $481 to replace the pillowtop, plus shipping and handling.

In August 2007, the pillowtop replacement had gone up 50% to $720.

Buyer beware! This is not a company that deals with its customers with honesty and integrity.
 30th of Aug, 2007 by   Connie Rae Harrington +1 Votes
My husband and I purchased the 7000 King Set a year and a half ago for $3,310.25. It seemed ok for a few months plus, we were still trying to dial in our ideal sleep numbers. Then the mattress started turning into a very expensive hammock! Even after filling the air chamber to 100%, there would still be a large scoop on each side of the bed where we had lain. I weigh 130lbs and my husband weighs 250lbs (thus the reason we tried the sleep number bed) yet my divest was just as bad as his.

He called customer service and after a month long circus of trying to get the correct mailing labels from them, we sent the mattress topper back and they sent us a new one. It did not help the hummocking. Our $3,310.25 bed looked like something we'd bought at Big Lots 25 years ago! And in addition, the bed was becoming increasingly uncomfortable. The hummocking causes pressure on my shoulders putting my arms to sleep constantly thought out the night and causes my husband back to hurt so badly, he gets up and sleeps in a recliner. We're just in our early 40's so it's not like we're already arthritic. The only semi comfortable spot on the bed is the little strip down the middle above the section that divides the air chambers. It's a king sized bed and we both can fit there!

Anyway, I eventually sent in the comment card they give you at purchase complaining of our problems and marked the box that I wished to contacted. I never heard from them. I eventually called the store and asked for them to send a technician out to examine the bed to see what was wrong with it. I spoke with Debbie, the manager at the time. She said they did not have technicians to send out, "What do you expect me to do", she said, "close the store and come to your house myself?" I said no, of course not, but I did expect that there be technicians that could come to my house and insure the bed was functioning properly being I'd spent $3,310.25 on it which would be the case for most any other product in my home - a dishwasher, gas logs etc...I would have no problem getting each and every company I'd bought one of those products from to send out a service technician!

She eventually told me to just call customer service. I called customer service and spoke with Alexia. She was very polite but the only solution she offered was for me to order additional pieces of foam to elevate the air chambers. This, of course, was not covered by the warranty. Sooooo for $44.00 I ordered the foam. We installed it and it did nothing to improve the problems with the bed (it was only about an inch thick.) Alexia, did mention while I had her on the phone that I could "go to Home Depot or somewhere and buy a new mattress topper for it" to which I replied, "Should I really have to do that after spending $3,310.25 for the bed!"

My husband and I have resigned ourselves to the fact that we're "stuck" with an incredibly poor product for the money. We often just sleep in the guest bedrooms of our home to get a decent night's sleep or he retreats to the recliner.

I'd like to just take the bed to the dump but we really can't afford to buy a new one right now. I'm concerned, however that it's damaging my shoulders. They are starting to pop and crunch from the constant tossing and turning and going numb. I am going to follow Alexia's recommendation and go spend another $150.00 today somewhere on an additional foam topper in hopes that it will improve the comfort of the bed long enough for me to get rid of it and purchase a Simmons Beauty Rest or something. Meanwhile, what a travesty! If I owned a business selling such expensive items, I'd want to stand behind them and be proud of the products I'd created. Evidently Select Comfort does not select to care.
 14th of Sep, 2007 by   Sybil Haines +1 Votes
My husbsnd and I purchased a queen size Select Comfort sleep number bed about 5 1/2 years ago and we've had nothing but "achy breaky backs sholders & necks". I recently had to have Ulner nerve & Carpal tunnel surgery due to the numbness, aches, & pain that I developed in my back neck arm & hand while sleeping on this bed. I have to agree 100 % with all of you, this bed is not what we thought it would be. The bed just down right SUCKS and we all have been Ripped Off!!! Yes I am mad and hurting every day since we've purchased this bed. I am darn sick and tired of having to reorder over & over again replacement foam & hard noisy plastic boards to sleep on at night. I told one of the Customer service representative that I was tired of having to sleep on my floor & my guest bed rooms for a good night rest. And in addition to all this the initial cost of the bed we had to send them $48.00 which isn't a lot of money for replacement parts or maybe S & H fees. I just feel that since this thing had a 20 yr warranty on it I should't have to pay not one cent. I am very glad to know that my husband & I aren't the only ones that's been had on the purchase of a very expensive and sorry product.

"Unhappy Select Compfort Customer"
Mobile, AL
 8th of Oct, 2007 by   M Reed +1 Votes
We purchased our king-size Select Comfort Ultra bed ($1800) in 1998 and find it to be comfortable. We've had only one problem since then, a leaking air chamber that was replaced last year at a prorated cost of $59. Not bad for a nine year old product or so I thought.

I called customer service today to inquire about puchasing a new zip-on, pillowtop mattress covering....it's nine years old, a little stained and worn. The owner's manual clearly states you must not launder or dryclean the cover. I felt a new cover would "freshen" the bed and it just might last 20 years (warranty).

I was quoted a price of $ 720!!! The price included the foam side/end panels, which I don't need, but that's not an option. Take it or leave it! I chose to leave it. Shame on Select Comfort/Sleep Number for exploiting, what should be, their valued customers.
 15th of Oct, 2007 by   craig graulich +1 Votes
My problem is slightly different. My wife and I like to keep the room Cool to Cold at night. The problem comes occurs when we get into the Cold bet set our ideal number by the time we get up in the morning the pressure in the bed is off by around 15. Duh should have thought of that before purchasing as cold air is less dense than warm air thus as your body heats up the bed the pressure changes.

Should have stuck with a standard bed vs an overpriced over marketed air mattress.
 24th of Oct, 2007 by   D ROSE +2 Votes
I just attended a convention in Dallas at a Radison that had sleep number beds (I was told Radisson gets the ones that are returned to the company as part of their 30 day trial). I was truly disappointed with the comfort and quality. It is like sleeping on a cheap air mattress. I spoke with at least 25 people that were conference attendees. I did not find one that liked the bed. They sure were looking at going home and sleeping on their own bed!
 4th of Nov, 2007 by   Kim Sherlin +1 Votes
I am 100% in agreement with how bad this bed is! I have never been so uncomfortable in my life! I wake up hurting every single morning! This bed was supposed to get rid of back pain but it's created a whole lot of new pains for me!!! Worst $1500 I have EVER spent! I want to drag this out to the curb for garbage pickup! I am more comfortable sleeping on our $300 futon!
 5th of Nov, 2007 by   Advocate +2 Votes
I was taken in by the movie star hype on how great a bed this is, so we went to the store and tested one and decided to purchase it. Received the bed and set it up and had to air up my side of the bed several times in the first 2 hours of trying to sleep on it. Finally took it back apart and put our old mattress back on the bed and as I was taking it apart I discovered a slit in the bottom of the side that was leaking that looked like a box blade had been pushed through it. This is the way it came from the factory. Then I found out I had to pay return shipping on it even though it was a factory defect. I received the bed on October 12. Packed it back in a box to return it on October 13th. Finally was able to obtain an RMA from the factory with the promise of prepaid shipping labels which I had to pay for. The bed was shipped out the same day I received the pre-paid labels and the shipment was received by Select Comfort on October 31. Today is November 5th and they still will not give me any information as to when they will credit the charge account they created with GE Money. From the rest of the complaints I have been reading on dis-satisfied customers, I am not very happy with the company or their product. I know they have you sign an agreement about their 30 day free trial, but I cannot believe that a person should have to pay the return shipping charges on a product that was faulty from the factory. I am highly concerned from the other bad reports I have read that I may never get them to issue me a return credit on the bed and I sure do not plan on paying for something that I do not have or have never been able to use.
 6th of Nov, 2007 by   Benjamin Hum 0 Votes
I have a sleep number 9000 series and love it! I fall asleep soundly every night and wake up rip roaring ready to go every day. I find, however, like with anything if I am tired the next day it is due to an extrinsic factor such as partying or working too hard. I mean honestly it's a bed, not a miracle cure for all the problems in your life. I'm reading all the complaints above and can't see how the bed is causing back pain... I NEVER have back pain. I figure the majority of the people that are complaining about it have more than likely gone and bought a new bed that a) you can't adjust, b) you have to compromise on the firmness of the bed, c) you have to flip and rotate, d) you will hate within 3 years because a majority of the springs have broken down and fatigued and now your bed looks like a sleep number bed at a sleep number 10. Honestly I have looked at virtually every bed on the market from Dux beds to Tempurpedic and my sn is by FAR the most comfortable and most versatile. Hopefully this helps someone along the way. By the way I was just looking and Select Comfort has over 5.5 million owners.. I guess 11 complaints isn't so bad!
 7th of Nov, 2007 by   Joyce Horn 0 Votes
I too bought a $3000.00+ nightmare of a bed. We have a terrible sag to both sides of the bed and are at the point where we can no longer sleep in this bed. I called customer service about it and they told me it was normal wear and tear. Ya Right, they have got to be kidding. This bed was the biggest rip off of all time. I spent $500.00 on my previous bed and got over ten years of comfortable sleep but thru the advertisement for sleep number beds I was sucked into buying a bed I was told would out perform outlast, better comfort , more restful sleep,. etc. etc.etc. what a crock. Their should be a class action suit against them for false advertising. My husband and I both hurt all the time My husband got so bad that he couldn't hardly work anymore and now has gained alot of weight and has diabetes which I think is in part to this bed and not sleeping for the past year or more. If I could afford another bed we wouldn't be sleeping on our two couches like we are now. This bed is ruining our life literally.
 18th of Nov, 2007 by   Micheal 0 Votes
I purchased a king split mattress over 7 years ago. I have for over the last 25 years had a re-occuring lower back/ hip problem that would 'go out of place' and even though I could place a chiropractors hand on the spot where it was 'out' and they could feel it, they weren't able to get it back in, and the only way that I could get it back was thru stretching exercises that I learned to do in martial arts... Well I have not had any complaints with our bed over the last 7 years..(my sleep number was 45)..but within the last year I noticed that my lower back would 'go out' within a few days after jogging... and it happened every time I would run!... after 6 months of continuing to try to run (and my back going out all the time) I had resigned myself that I was getting old (next b-day is 50) and that I wouldn't be able to run anymore!!! But... I work out of town frequently... and during a month where I spent about 20 days on the road... I had no problem with my back all during my time on the road... but when I would come home and sleep on my own bed... the next morning I could tell my back was on the verge of going out...

I realized that it was my sleep by number bed that was causing my back to go out!!! But why do I LOVE MY SLEEP BY NUMBER BED??? BECAUSE I COULD ADJUST THE SETTING AND FOUND THAT THE NUMBER THAT I NEEDED TO SLEEP ON AND NOT HAVE BACK PAIN WAS 90....

That was over 6 months ago... I have gone back to my running schedule... and my back has not been out one time.

I wouldn't part with my Sleep by Number bed for any amount of money... and in the 7-8 years that we've owned it... we haven't had one single problem with it... the remote is still working off the original battery... just like they said.
 20th of Nov, 2007 by   Matthew Collier +1 Votes
I also have one of these over priced pool toys for 2 years. I would have better off buying an air mattress from the camping section of Wal-Mart and saved myself $3000.

I sleep on 50 my wife sleeps on 30 so if I roll over towards her to snuggle it feels like I rolled down a hill. The air of my wife's side leaks out every couple of days.

I am 6'2" and weigh 250lbs so I push the foam sides out and smash down the center so I feel like I am sleeping on a hammock. Your actual sleeping (chamber) area is very small. Remember that about 6" of the sides and about 6" down the middle is nothing but cheap foam.

I also sleep on my side which pushes down my hip and shoulder area harder than other areas so the weight is not evenly placed across the chamber. This causes the air displaces and squeeze the mattress down to the "box spring" in those areas. This is one of the reasons I sleep on 50, it is harder than I like but it helps me from sleeping on the "box spring". I bought a foam topper for it and that helps some but I wish I would have spent the same amount of money or less and just bought one of those Swedish Foam mattress.

For it to work you better like sleeping on your back and in the center of your chamber and not moving all night. Unless you like poor customer service after the sell and a painful mattress that will never last the 20 years that is promised then stay away from this sorry piece of garbage. We hate it!
 26th of Nov, 2007 by   Mark Johnson 0 Votes
I've had my Sleep Number for almost 2 years and feel that it is the best thing that has happen to me. I sleep without tossing and turning. My sleep is so deep it a minute to come out of it. I go to sleep quicker and use different sleep numbers. I use 80, 40 and sometimes 50. So I really don't understand some of the thing others are saying. My experience has been wonderful so far. Thanks Sleep Number.
 30th of Nov, 2007 by   B Kelly -1 Votes
I'm frankly very suspicious of these complaints. Some are outrageous to the point of leaving me highly skeptical. Another web site mentions mold in the sleep number bed yet no one on this website thus far has mentioned mold. I suspect the larger inner spring mattress industry has felt a huge drop in sales and perhaps cannot yet copy the patented sleep number bed.

I was almost convinced to not buy one and still may not due to cost ( I know of a mattress manufacturer that sells mattresses directly that makes very high quality inner springs that are much more affordable than the sleep number). I still haven't decided as I've read through these crazy over the top complaints that grossly contrast to people I've spoken with who find these beds very comfortable.
 30th of Nov, 2007 by   john smith 0 Votes
I had a Queen size Select Comfort bed for about 8 years and loved it. Then we bought a king and it was ok for the first 2 years or so and then I started having terrible back pain. Pain in my lower back and right side. I would feel the worst in the morning. It would come and go. Every time I would go away on vacation or to visit my family and sleep on a different bed, my back pain would disappear. I went to doctors, had x-rays, and when I told the doctor I felt worse in the morning, she said normally that is the bed. It really hadn't occurred to me that it could possibly be my bed since I thought so highly of it. My cleaning people always change the sheets so I never really looked closely at the mattress without the covers. I finally took a look and saw a huge dip in my side of the bed and then I became even more aware that when I went away my back pain went away. The funny thing is that I weigh 130 lbs and my husband weighs over 200 lbs and there is no dip on his side of the bed and he has no pain. I called to tell them I needed a new pillow top and they told me to vacuum it to try and suck the foam back up. How ridiculous!!! Of course that did nothing. Now I need to call back again and try to get them to send me a new one. I really think I will need to by a new bed because I can't take the pain much longer. It is completely insane that my parent's 10 year old just normal Serta mattress cures my back and this $3000 Sleep Number bed is making me feel crippled. To the person who said these complaints are ridiculous, lucky you that you are not waking up in pain. Those of you in pain - I FEEL IT TOO!!!
 2nd of Dec, 2007 by   doshia holt +1 Votes
I completely agree with all complaints made about this bed! Sure, it was fine for the first month or so, but like others have said, a giant "hole" forms in the middle of the bed. Also, I noticed someone mentioned mold inside the mattress; this is true also! And, you can forget setting your sleep number, this is pointless! In a couple of hours most of the air will just leak out anyway. Unless you just enjoy wasting your money and have no sense whatsoever, NEVER PURCHASE THIS PIECE OF JUNK!!!
 3rd of Dec, 2007 by   Lee Lamontagne 0 Votes
I have a queen size dual chamber version of the sleep number bed. It SUCKS. In the middle it always sinks in, and the chambers feel like large round things just sticking up out of the bed. It's so horribly uncomfortable, I can sometimes sleep up to 4 hours at a time each night. I have not had 1 single full night of sleep since getting the sleep number 4 months ago. I might put my 15 year old mattress back on for my bed. I am only 19 and am having horrible back pain from the sleep number bed, night after night, its a terrible product. $20 air mattresses are more comfortable than this junk.

Start Thinking About Year-End Tax Moves Now