Santander Consumer USA

Auto Loan

Santander Consumer USA
Unfortunately I have an auto loan with santander consumer usa. My original loan was with Soverign Bank and it was sold to Santander or Soverign was bought out by Santander. Ever since I have had the loan I have been making extra payments on the principal. Every time I write out two checks one for the amount due for the month and one towards the principle. It has been nothing but problems. Every month they credit towards my next months bill and not towards the principal. One employee told me I had to be three months in advance on payments in order to credit the principal on the account. I have never once heard this before but kept paying extra every month. I had to call them every month in order to tell them that the extra check I wanted to be towards the principal and not towards the following months payment and they still continued to do this month in and month out. I got so frustrated with the company I decided to pay off the loan in full. I requested a payoff amount and mailed it in. Today I recieved an email stating I still owe $24.16. It has been nothing but a headache with this company. I will be sure to never deal with Santander or any of their affiliates ever again. Hopefully no one else will ever have to go through what I have had to go through over the past 30 months or so.
Complaint comments Comments (5) Complaint country United States Complaint category Loans

14th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
My car loan was sold from Citi Financial Auto to SanTander in September of 2010. My last payment was suppose to be December 24th of 2010 and now they are saying that I owe over $9, 000 in fees. What am I suppose to do? This vehicle has over 185, 000 miles on it. What the heck are they charging me for, I only paid 18, 000 for the car?????
 14th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I had the same issue, my loan sold from Citi Financial. When it was sole i owed about $6, 000 left on the car, my most recent statement says i now owe $11, 000. I only paid $16, 500 for the car when i originally bought it. I have had nothing but problems contacting anyone who can give me a real answer. let me know if you happen to find an avenue where you actually get some results.
 29th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Do not just start sending them money, and don't do anything based on what you're told on the phone. You need to demand, in writing, that they provide you with a statement of account that documents the basis for the amount currently owed. Send a certified letter with proof of delivery, asking for documentation that substantiates the current balance, if it does not match with your records. When your loan is sold, they can't change the terms outlined in your original loan. They have some BAD record keeping, as I've found recently, and they will only give attention to your errors when you demand that they do so.
 24th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I had a similar situation. Was supposed to pay off my car in August. I had some late fees also tagged to the last payment so in total I needed to pay them $1, 100. In September I received a collection letter stating that I owed $2, 500 in order to pay off the car. When I logged in to their website (the same day I received the letter) the pay off amount had gone up to $3, 000. When I contacted their customer service department, they could not tell me why the amount had gone up. I DEMANDED a breakdown before I made any further payments. I also demanded to speak to a Manager and was told that the Manager would tell me the same thing as the rep. The customer service rep also told me that they needed "approval" from their "accounting dept" in order to mail me a breakdown. The breakdown never came, I was never able to get a straight answer from them after calling almost on a daily basis for 2 weeks. My car was repoed in November, while I was in the hospital having my baby girl. They told me it would take an additional $400 repo fee to get my car back. I paid that car for 7 years...and it went from Drive Financial to CitiFinancial to Santander Consumer. I'm sure somewhere in there they tagged additional fees and I have no paperwork from them showing any breakdowns or any proof of anything. I'm glad I found this website as I've gotten very helpful information and I plan to file complaints with the FTC, BBB and my States Attorney General. If I don't get any compensation back at least I know this won't happent to someone else.
 17th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have almost the same problem withe santander, my problem is that I send my payment and they dont post them at all!! I call them to find out what was going on and they dont know all they say is that they havent reseave my payment and so they ask me for proove so I have to pay 40 dallords to track the money orders and guess what Im down 1200 dollards I've send them the proove for one from june 2010 and they havent fix that yet it was for 300 and I call today 06/17/2011 at 3:00 and I reseave the news that I was behind three months but I dont see how.. I have my resits of my payments so I told them and they want proove again so there goes 120 dollards that there not going to reenborce me... I have a huge headech and dont know what to do sense they havent fix the one from 2010 just by thinking about my head want to blowwww!!!

Santander Consumer USA Logo Santander Consumer USA