logo

INF*Peoplesmart
Unauthorized charge
4. (34 mins ago)
Carolina Carports
non delivery of a carport
5. (47 mins ago)
Bear411.com
I'm trying to delete my account, and the site will not allow it

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Ryland Homes

Posted:    Ricardo

Build with poor quality

Ryland Homes
Please do not buy from Ryland Homes. They are of poor quality and do not stand behind their product. For the amount of money I paid, I deserve better. The house floods everytime it rains. Paint is of low grade. Carpet is cheap. Drywall cracks. AC and pool pump have had to be replaced and repaired. Electrical breakers have gone bad already. Sprinkler system does not work. Floor is uneven causing replaced tile to crack again and again. I have not lived in my home 3yrs. yet but have had a host of problems not expected from a new home. I have regretted buying this home and wish to warn others not to make the same mistake I did.
Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Jul, 2010 by   edilberto aljas 0 Votes
where did you buy your ryland home?
 8th of Jul, 2010 by   edilberto aljas 0 Votes
where did you buy your ryland home? please give us more details. ryland has a lot of new construction here in the houston area, and it would be very helpful if you gave more details. thanks
 17th of Jul, 2010 by   Tampa resident66 0 Votes
We bought a Ryland home in 1999 and haven't had any major problems with it. The few minor issues we had in the first year were all corrected to our total satisfaction. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ryland home.
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   PKandra -1 Votes
Ricardo, where did you buy from them? My wife and I are currently building a Ryland home in GA. Nothing personal, but a builder is in business to make money. Unless you bought upgraded carpeting or padding, the standard carpet most builders use is of poor quality. As far as drywall or tile cracking, some settling is normal within the first year or 2. I've experienced it on every new house I've bought, and usually the builder repairs these issues within the 1 year warranty period. In 15 years and 2 new houses, I've had 1 electrical breaker go bad, so that's definitely odd. Hopefully the builder will fix or replace items to your satisfaction.
 30th of Sep, 2011 by   BewareIWasnt +1 Votes
I have a Ryland home not yet 1 year old. The hardwood flooring is a joke. Ryland keeps saying it meet thier spec's. It don't meet mine when I can see peaks and valleys down the foyer entrance.
Be careful when buying from ryland.
 3rd of Nov, 2011 by   jonathan123 +2 Votes
I was thinking about purchasing a ryland home in Georgia...Does ryland make good deals? Were they willing to pay closing cost if you used your own lender? Was the sales associate willing to negotiate below the base price...@bewareiwasnt please help me here
 2nd of Jan, 2012 by   KCCHILDS +1 Votes
We built a Ryland home in Summerville SC, a little over a year ago. The paint is the poorest quality they could get. Scratches and rubs off easily, and doesn't touch up well. My entire downstairs is wood floors, and they look really good, but are very very soft and fragile. We walk the house every weekend with one of those touch up pens to fill the chips and scratches. We asked for laminate and were told no, only wood. We did the highest upgrade on stainless appliances, and our dishwasher seems to be the lowest quality grade with just a stainless front to look good. Nail pops all over, which they will fix after the first year, but you have to repaint. No peep hole in your front door. Had to do several walk throughs with the stickers to show what needed to be fixed over and over again. Sometimes the stickers were removed and the problem never fixed. Like they thought we would forget where we put them and miss it. The 3 pendants over our island were way off and crooked. Even after I showed it to them, they didn't correct it until the sheetrock was up, which meant sheetrock repair. The breakfast light is supposed to be 4ft from the exterior wall to center the table, which is the norm an electrician will put it. I should know, I'm an electrician of 20+ years. They put it at 5ft, so it's now off center. They charge you to run wiring for your lights. All of them. They only give you switch receptacles. If you want a light and fan, your going to pay a lot extra for it. Recess lights, $200 a piece!! Unfinished caulking, runs in the paint, unfinished garages, garden tub pops and creaks when getting in and out from poor framing, etc. etc. HOA said I couldn't have one of those fancy garage doors that look like carriage doors, but the next street over, yes in the same neighborhood, the other builder has them as an option. They installed a live oak in my front yard, 15ft from my front door. What do you think that tree is going to do in 100 years? The builder said, "well you won't be there to see it". But what if I was to give the house to my son before I pass? The builder only cares about building the home as fast as possible to get you in. If you use Ryland, expect to pay a lot of money for a simple and low quality cookie cutter home. Don't be fooled about how pretty and well built their models are. I used to be an electrician of such neighborhoods, and they have meetings about, and only let their most trusted installers do the models. So they know it looks good to sell, but they don't care about the rest of the homes. I'm sure there are some other customers who are really happy with their home. But ask where and what kind of home they moved from. I'm sure the answer will be an even lower quality home or trailer, so of course they're happy. My next home will be custom from regular subs, which I will be the contractor. Cookie cutter never again!!
 26th of Jul, 2012 by   Pissed in Cedar Park +1 Votes
I bought my Ryland home 13 years ago in Austin TX. I recently had my 2 air conditioners replaced which were original to the house. One system is slightly bigger than the other to better handle the larger square footage on the second floor. When Ryland built the home, they got them reversed. When the Lennox technicians pulled one of the old AC units from the attic, they found that the books, manuals and warranties package inside the unit which was restricting flow and efficiency. Nice job Ryland, you shitstain of a crappy ass builder. I will not stop until I tell the world to avoid your shitty company's products.
 31st of Jul, 2012 by   CLTRealtor 0 Votes
Complaints are helpful. Please share where your communities are located and when your home was constructed. I have found that many of these complaints are based on the contractors but the responsibility is on the Building Supervisor. A great building supervisor makes a HUGE difference. He/She is the one that has the rapport with all contractors and sets/assures all work meets expectations. There are many hands involved in building a home and much of the responsibility (and pressure) is on the Supervisor. This does not exempt the builder from responsibility but you will find that a great Building Supervisor means all the difference. I am not a Ryland employee. I am a Realtor and this is based on my experience with Ryland in addition to many other builders.
 15th of Aug, 2012 by   very new customer....Reta 0 Votes
I bought my camera system at front door with intercom system through Ryland Homes. My house was completed in May 2011. Moved in my house in May. This is August 2012 and my camera no longer works. Ryland says my one year is up so they can do nothing. So i had to contact the manufacturing company in order to get the camera replace but i have to take the camera out myself and send it to manufacturing company which is On-Q..I have no idea how to take the camera apart. So the builder says they can send some one out but it will cost me $92.01 to send some one out. But you would think as much as they charge for the camera system and you chose to build with them they would show some type of compassion and concern for their customers other than your 1 year is up. That is their favorite saying( your 1 year is up). If i knew how to take the camera out, i would not have needed them to install the camera system from the beginning nor buy the system from them. They all tell you one story but after you get in the house its call warranty and when the warranty is expired thats it. I want my camera sytem repaired so i am paying the money to have it taken out to send to manufacturing company. Overall I am satisfied with my house. They need to stand behind the products they sell regardless and be a little more appreciative of their customers and show a little more concern. They dont care not interested its your problem now!
 23rd of Nov, 2012 by   Pgallagher +1 Votes
I bought a Ryland home back in 2008 and still finding issues with the quality of workmanship. They use subcontractors that aren’t up to par and foreign labor (enough said). Short cuts and just lazy work, I just found a hole in my shower that was covered up with some latex sealer. No telling what else I’ll find. Don’t buy these homes.
 11th of Jan, 2013 by   Larry Norris +2 Votes
Bought a Ryland home in Tampa. Problems to numerous to list. Walk thru's were a joke. Their atitude changes 1 day AFTER you close.Spent over $15, 000. repairing their mess. Attorneys are expensive. If you buy from them, ...you will regret it.
 16th of Jul, 2013 by   Johnol 0 Votes
Funny we have a Ryland home in DFW area and have had only a few issues. I think the wuality is fine for the price and I eblieve we recieved a good deal. I think any home has issues, obviously foundation etc are not good, but we havent had any of that.
 16th of Jul, 2013 by   Larry Norris +2 Votes
Funny we have a Ryland home and everyone in our neighborhood has issues with Ryland. Look at the number of lawsuits and class actions against them. Service STOPS the day you close on your new home. I'am taking them to arbitration now because they won't return phone calls or e-mails. Buyer beware.
 6th of Aug, 2013 by   Bethann5 +2 Votes
I have a ryland home in Baltimore, Maryland. It seems as if Ryland does just enough to get the house through the 1st year. I am the 2nd homeowner for this home. I (along with all my neighbors) have problems related to furnace/ cac and condensation leading to mold. I have been trying to get Ryland to repair this for over a year. Do you know of anyone who has had success in getting Ryland to take responsibility? The houses are so poorly built. It is so sad that I as many others have invested in these shoddy homes.
 7th of Aug, 2013 by   Larry Norris +1 Votes
BethannS...Hire an Attorney and take them to arbitration. You'll win. Once Ryland has your money...they play hard ball. They have lost a number of law suits and in arbitration. Mold is their middle name.
 13th of Dec, 2013 by   Ryland Messed Up +1 Votes
I am buying a home in Atlanta area and they messed up my costly upgraded cabinets in kitchen. Holes every where, you can see holes when cabinets are closed. Now they say they will not replace but do fillers. What a crap company!!. They are very arrogant.
 19th of Jan, 2014 by   Angry in Arlington, Tx +1 Votes
Our entire subdivision was built (thrown together) by Ryland. The thing that irritates me the most, out of many, is the failure of the foundation. The home site was levelled with fill dirt that was not properly packed down. The foundation was poured on top of the levelled dirt without a footing. When the house was finished the contractors pushed dirt up next to the foundation to hide this. The drought has revealed the lack of a footing causing the foundation to fail. Commercials run on the radio frequently where the advertising foundation repair company claims "everyone knows the soil around here moves up and down due to the different weather conditions". My question is that if everyone knows, why doesn't Ryland take into consideration that the foundation will eventually fail if they just put it on top of the soil and build it to a standard that averts the problem. By observation, over half of the homes in my subdivision have had to have foundation repair including my neighbors. We have kept the soil in the yard moist and "watered the foundation" to try to alleviate problems that may be caused by the drought.

The bricklayers that bricked our house must have been in training.
The windows were substandard in that the seal on every one of them lost the seal and they clouded inside.
Over half of the electrical plugs have come out of the wall due to broken boxes.
The original HVAC system was not big enough for the home's square footage.
And on and on and on. Please relate these complaints to your family and friends when they start shopping for a home. Ryland is Not a good company and their product is JUNK. The core of the house should last at least as long as the mortgage!
 19th of Jan, 2014 by   Angry in Arlington, Tx +1 Votes

The bricklayers that bricked our house must have been in training.
The original HVAC system was not big enough for the home's square footage.
 20th of Feb, 2014 by   Dissappointed Home buyer 0 Votes
Your Ryland home in Arlington sounds like the one we built in Cedar Park (Austin) TX. The house was literally thrown together
with very little quality control. Two windows on the blue print were missing. When they put them in, one of them was the wrong size and not centered as it was supposed to be. Several windows had broken seals and were bowed.There were all kinds of cracks in the foundation and one brick wall was installed without air space between the thermo ply sheathing and the bricks. The brick workers were smearing the mortar in with their fingers. Many mistakes were made on laying the brick. The house looked like someone smashed it and did a bad repair job. The roof was buckling and flashing was improperly installed. In addition, they installed the wrong cabinets, and tile in the kitchen. The exterior and interior paint was also wrong. They also ignored manufacturer instructions and installed the hardwood flooring without livable conditions. They covered the floor with paper without cleaning the construction debris. We decided that the house was so poorly constructed that we told them we were not buying it We haven't gotten our deposit back. I don't know if we will. The fact is Ryland does not care . They will turn around and sell the house for more than what was in the original contract.

Road to Ruin Mortgage Fraud