Poor service

On May 26, 2010 I purchased 2 ball joints MEVOTECT MK9643 from www.rockauto.com and I installed them on my 2000 Honda Accord. Shortly after the ball joints were installed, I noticed that the ball joint boots were falling off. I then ordered another pair of ball joints from www.rockauto.com on Aug 2, 2010. On October 11 I had my car by my mechanic and had him change the ball joints. While the car was on the lift, I gave the 2 new ball joints to the worker, and he told me that the boots were cracked on the new ball joints. I then purchased a pair of ball joints from the local supply shop. I now have 4 defective Mevotech ball joints which I paid for, plus shipping, and I had to pay my mechanic twice to change them. In addition I had to pay for the two ball joints from the local supply shop.

I do order from Rockauto.com because they offer a better price on most items. I have placed already 18 orders. Out of the 18 orders I had problems with 6. That is 1 out of 3 orders. Usually Rockauto.com is able to reach a satisfying silution. But in this case, I feel I should not have to pay not a penny, when I have recieved 4 defective parts, whether it was within 30 days, or 60 days.

That is 1 out of 3 orders bad. Beware when ordering. I do not mind ordering items for myself, but for my friends, I let them order from more reliable places. So far Rockauto has resolved all the issues, except this time I should not have to pay a penny for this problem.

Rockauto.com offered to refund me for the items, but I would have to pay the return shipping, and I would not get my original shipping refunded. Here is where I draw the line Rockauto, and I wanted people to know what they may go through.
Complaint comments Comments (4) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful?
More RockAuto.com Complaints & Reviews
RockAuto.com - Defective Merchandise

5th of Aug, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have to agree with your assessment of Rock Auto. I think they sell old, returned, and incomplete parts. Maybe that is why they are cheaper than most. They've shipped me a bad radiator, replacement radiator was missing parts, and they charged me shipping to return the defective radiator. They've shipped me parts which were unpackaged, opened box, and wheel covers missing 8 of 10 plastic mounting nuts, which are part of the assembly. They refused to make good on the missing plastic mounting nuts, and that will be the last time I use RockAuto.
 15th of Nov, 2013 by    0 Votes
The same thing is happen to me; they have shipped a TPS sensor and in the box is a wrong part. I will not return the items
because I have to pay shiping charge two time.
 17th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
Next time take your car to a professional, pay once, get it done right, & get a warranty. I own a shop & see cheap people always trying to save money by acting like they know about cars because they read something on the misinformation highway & suddenly are experts on vehicle maintenance & repair. I friend of mine's father owned a shop when we were in high school & had a sign on the wall behind his service counter that said "The quality of poor workmanship & parts remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten!" The original ball joints on a 2000 Honda Accord last an average of 80 to 100k miles, the list price for them is $27.18 at the Honda Dealer, so what did you save? Problem here is consumer doesn't know, not Rock Auto's fault.
 28th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
I am a return customer of RockAuto and I have been pleased with getting the parts I wanted at a great price. Delivery has always been very good as well. Up until today I had only seen the good side of this operation when it comes to delivery of the goods. Last week I ordered a number of things for my 2007 Explorer (which is registered at Autorock). I had selected the parts I wanted and was in the process of checking out when a message came up that wanted to know if I wanted to take advantage of a deal on wiper blades (overstock or some story) . I did indeed need new wiper blades so I said great.. The wiper blades delivered yesterday via Fed X from England. The story gets ugly here. I started to install the wiper blades on my vehicle and realized that the new blades were about 2 inches shorter than the ones on the vehicle. I then went to the box and learned that these wipers were for a Ford Escort with right hand drive ( this apparently means the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car). My next step was to review the Autorock documents and found that these 2 wiper blades cost me another $26 for Shipping.. It dawned on me that something was wrong.

I was unable to try to correct this on the usual web based Autorock site so I finally found a real number to call and got Eric. I explained the situation and that I had already paid $35 for a set of $10 wipers. I explained that I would never have purchased the wipers if I had known this would be the result. Eric in his own arrogant way explained to me that I had made a mistake and that the selection window showed an English flag and that was where they came from. It also showed that the wipers were for a right hand driven vehicle. I noted that yes there was a blue square and that I had never put my cursor over it until today, but I never focused on this because it was not shown with the "special" offer as I was checking out. The "offer "had selected the wipers based on my registered vehicle it was not like I went shopping again. Eric did tell me that I could return the two wiper blades to him but that I would have to pay the shipping. I told Eric that I already had $36 in a $10 set of wiper blades that I could not use. He held fast on that it was my fault. I let him know I was not happy and that I felt I should not have to pay for this mistake. I called my credit card company and explained the story. The are notifying RockAuto that they will deduct the disputed amount.

It has been a great place to purchase from until today. I am not sure I want to continue purchasing here in the future.

Contact Us