logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
www.theunlockteam.com
The company ignores me and doesn’t provide unlocking code
2. (10 mins ago)
theunlockteam.com
Agreed to unlock the phone, but after that refused and no refund
3. (19 mins ago)
Poor quality & customer service

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Renewal by Andersen, Rosedale, Queens, New York Complaints & Reviews - replacement windowns

Renewal by Andersen Contacts & Informations

Renewal by Andersen

Posted:    tiesha1

replacement windowns

Tiesha
Rosedale, Queens, New York
just today a renewal by andersen rep came by for his 10am appt. The presentation was very slow and lasted 5 hrs. Side bar convo took up 1 hr tops. My hubby and I learned new things: difference bet. their fibrex and vinyl; difference bet new construction windows made by Andersen (ready-made) vs. replacement windows made by Renewal (custom built for your exsisting space); why new construct windows are less expensive than replacements ones; the difference bet. HomeDepot's andersens and the replacement windows by renewal; difference in energy star requirements on thier product vs. others; the warranty of the fibrex windows (20yrs) vs vinyl (5 to 10 yrs); quality of the installation, which I know is critical to the windows not leaking, building moisture etc. Bottom line, we were more informed and quality of product is high. I was definitely sold on the product. We want to change our window demensions, install a bay window, and use architectural design w color. He blew my budget out of the water as it was double what i expected to spend. (wow). The rep was friendly, not pushy but very chatty. He did work with me on changing a few things to reduce the amount. He did offer a small $1100 discount and told us about the $1500 gov rebate both of with made little difference on the overall price. Keep in mind, there is but so much discount he can give because "the product sells itself, the price is the price". It seems to be worth it if you plan on living in your home for 10+yrs or if you have deep pockets. As a consumer I always get caught in wanting the best product but not having the money to buy it right then and there. Its like buying the "all-clad" or the "t-fal" pot set; buying the bmw or the mazda. You will pay more for the better product or YES, you get what you pay for. still shopping around. it would be nice to buy the renewals at a better price point. NO IM NOT A REPRESENTATIVE.
Comments United States Window & Door Installation
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Jul, 2010 by   jian 0 Votes
Fibrex is 60% pvc and 40% wood chips.
Easily cracks. Too hard.
Patented.
A fad.
Seals are tight on the glass but Poor in the lond run (mold especiallly on the bottom portions in-between glass).
Argon gas is filled heavily and being heavier than air blows out the seals quickly on the bottom end of windows creating condensation and mold especially around seals.
the best possible considering the Stiffness of the fibrex.
Expect Extreme seal failure, especially on the bottom of windows within 3>8 years on Long Island, New York, Faster in hot climates.
Expect crack(s) anywhere on structure within 1>2 years.
If you buy, Pay attention as Failure is definate.
Mighty expensive to boot
 19th of Jul, 2010 by   jian 0 Votes
Scripted Sales wheras 60% minimum is profit.
30% sales rate = $ 100, 000.00 > $ 150, 000.00 sales commision yearly.
Thirthy Percent!
Franchise Contractor Selling Windows
 19th of Jul, 2010 by   jian 0 Votes
Minimum price for one (1) basic SMALL window is about $ 1, 200.00 > $ 1, 300.00. Usually about $ 12, 000.00 for five (5) windows; that's Twelve Grand!
No way to re-coup any form of excessive espenditure within a timely fashion.
Also, these are replacement windows where loss of glass in more than likely absolute unless spending another $ 800.00 per window for realistic sizing.
Renewal to me is BOGUS.
Simply stated; A contractor buying into a franchise and using the Andersen name to extort simple minded property owners.
RBA-LI
 1st of Dec, 2010 by   Renewal By Andersen 0 Votes
Tiesha,
Thank you for taking the time to review Renewal By Andersen! My name is Michele and I handle customer service for RBA Long Island. First, I’m glad you found our representative professional, educational and friendly. Second, I’m sorry you had issues with our pricing. We realize there are less expensive options out there and we make every effort to ensure our pricing is fair without cutting back on the things that are important to us and our customers - the quality of not only our product but our people and processes. We strive to make sure that you and your home are always treated with the utmost respect and the job is done to your complete satisfaction. That being said, if there is any way I can help you or earn your business please contact me directly at RBALongIsland@gmail.com

Thank you and best wishes.
 11th of Dec, 2010 by   ponytammy 0 Votes
I purchased 22 Renewal by Andersen windows June 2010 and boy am I sorry now. Paid over $23K. Most of the windows are casement, but the two worst offenders for air leaks that I have are the double hung windows. Once faces North the other South. These two double-hung were over $11oo a piece since the windows are 3.5x6.5. Right now I have 35+ MPH NW winds and the window is howling with air pouring in... and I mean pouring in. These double hung windows are the worst I have ever had. My original old windows didn't leak air this BAD.

Andersen's solution is not insall a new window kit. They said this is a known problem with the windows where the air pours in around the block and channel of the windows not to mention under the sash. If it is known problem then why is Andersen adressing the issue up front?I have plastic up on the inside and it is bowing and is under strain. We are suppose to be to 4 degress tonight with the continual strong winds so my poor old furnance is going to get a costly workout.

I also have air leak around the edges of my large picture windows. Nothings about these windows is tight. The installation was not correct in my opinion and they have already been out 3 times for warranty work.

I would not recommend Renewal By Andersen Windows. Might as well go with WIndow World like my mom did and she has ZERO issues with her double hung windows. So I would not agress with the old saying you get what you pay for dbecause this does not hold true with Andersen Windows. They are just costly without being effecient at keeping wind/heat/cold out which really is the whole purpose of a window right?!?
 29th of Mar, 2011 by   John Peattie +1 Votes
The Window Man?? Gee, it sounds like you are someone that owns his own window company and is upset the RBA is taking all your business. Let's get something strait, you actually take the facts and explore them you will find that the RBA windows really are great. I hate when guys do this as I really use these blogs to get feedback. Yes, you may pay more for them but I have learned that you get what you pay for. What happens down the road when there is an issue? Will you come back to my house and fix them for free? They will. That's what you are getting. I actually called Andersen Corp and they stated that they produce all the windows for RBA. So how could you say that they are not Andersen?? I also took the next step and went down to the show room and meet the installers. They are guys with their own crews but they only work for RBA and they only install windows. RBA trains and certifies all the installers. This is something that I really wanted. I didn't want some guy picking up some "hired help" on the way to my house. Did you ever hear the saying Jack of all trades, master of none. I did not want guys coming to my house that also do siding, roofing, and kitchens. How could they do the best job when they are doing so many things. When I had my windows installed, a supervisor came around to inspect the installation. They did such a great job installing I didn't even know that they were there at night except for having new windows. The outside and inside of the house was perfect. They even installed new trim which I did not pay for to make sure it all looked great. I also took a lot of time looking into the composite. This is the way to go if you want something to last 20 years without a blink. There is no chance of the material breaking down over the years like my old wood windows - which turned into a drafty mess. If you are right with the success of RBA I now know why. Professional all the way through. I recently decided to all grills on my windows and they came to install them without even charging me for the install. I know that they didnt because I called andersen directly and they gave me the exact same price. How's that for service! Nobody else out there would do such a thing. I did ask about the logo on the glass and I was happy to learn that it's not just a logo but a serial number so that they can track the windows if it ever needs to be warranteed. I won't have to go nuts looking for paperwork from 10 years ago... I went to home depo to look at the other options and yes, there are remodel andersen windows there but who is installing them and know way near the same window. I was told by the window rep and HD that I could cut the nailing strip off the new construction windows and they would fit fine. What a joke. I then called andersen and they stated that if I did that I would void the warrantee immediatly. I was also told by HD that they could not tell me who would be installing them and he also stated that the same installers install all their other products too. Siding, roofing, ect?? Can you imagine what you would get? Home depo is loosing big time profits and are paying there guys nothing. Do you really think that they care what the outcome is? Faster, quicker, cheeper is all they are looking for. My father always said, do it right the first time and never have to worry about it. I know that they are not going out of business like the 4 guys I have called back from last year to price that job. If you are smart you will go with RBA, they know what they are doing and the product is amazing. No joke I have saved a whole tank of oil this year just by getting these!! John Peattie
 24th of Oct, 2011 by   windowman -1 Votes
You really are a dolt John Peattie. Here are the facts -
1) RBA wearranty is 20 years on the glass, 10 years on the frame and 3 years on the install. One of the worst warranties in the industry
2) Andersen (the main company) does NOT produce any windows for RBA, a subsidiary of Andersen. RBA, however, does make a new construction and replacement window (The Woodwright) for Andersen
3) The installers for the privately owned franchise on Long Island are all sub contractors who DO NOT work for RBA nor its franchise.
4) All installers install new trim when they install replacement windows. That is part of the install
5) RBA franchises sell their services based on an install price. They do not charge separately to install grills. In fact, no one does.
6) The serial number is NOT on the glass, however, the logo (AW) is. The serial number is a nice touch to the windows
7) Home Depot and thousands of other retail outlets sell an Andersen replacement window (The Woodwright) so there is no need to cut off the nailing flange of a new construction window
8) Your worry about installers from Home Depot is stupid because the contractors for RBA Long Island also do other installs since they do NOT work for the franchise.
9) You should have followed your dead father's advice and did it right in the first place. You could have spent 50% less to save that one tank of oil per year by buying The Andersen Woodwright. He must be turning over in his grave wondering how he could have raised such a stupid son!
 20th of Nov, 2011 by   HavanaBrian +1 Votes
Windowman There you go again speading lies lets go line by line..
1)(YOUR LIE) RBA wearranty is 20 years on the glass, 10 years on the frame and 3 years on the install. One of the worst warranties in the industry
Truth is: the other "Major window companies" Pella and Marvin offer only 1 or 2 years labor and no warranty on install. RBA includes labor (which is the expensive part of a service call) for the life of the warranty
2)(YOUR LIE) Andersen (the main company) does NOT produce any windows for RBA, a subsidiary of Andersen. RBA, however, does make a new construction and replacement window (The Woodwright) for Andersen
Truth is: Of Course Andersen Corporate make the windows they open a new plant 20 miles from the old to handle all the new technology needed to make composite windows.
3)(YOUR LIE)The installers for the privately owned franchise on Long Island are all sub contractors who DO NOT work for RBA nor its franchise.
Truth is: Its not a franchise is an affiliate program thank WILL BE pulled in a second if certain homeowner satisfaction numbers are not met.
4)(YOUR LIE) All installers install new trim when they install replacement windows. That is part of the install
Truth is: Unless customer asks for new trim nothing is disturbed and an outside install can be done. Leaving nothing for the customer to paint once windows are in.
5)(YOUR LIE) RBA franchises sell their services based on an install price. They do not charge separately to install grills. In fact, no one does
Truth is: Again not a Franchise and of course they change more for grills they have 3 different types, Interior Wood-Between Glass-Full Divided Light
6)(Your Lie) The serial number is NOT on the glass, however, the logo (AW) is. The serial number is a nice touch to the windows
Truth is: Each pane has its OWN serial number laser etched in the glass next to the Andersen Logo. If you call they will know the make, model, size, and where it in in your house from that number. No other company has that.
7)(Not so bad on this one) Home Depot and thousands of other retail outlets sell an Andersen replacement window (The Woodwright) so there is no need to cut off the nailing flange of a
new construction window
Truth is: In some weird idea to make money(irony) Andersen has decided to make more than one type of window. Just be careful if you buy Woodwright in Home Depot or other store they will sell you the stock Woodwright which does have a flange on it. You need to ask for a custom no flange window(increases price).
8)(YOUR LIE) Your worry about installers from Home Depot is stupid because the contractors for RBA Long Island also do other installs since they do NOT work for the franchise.
Truth is: Most RBA's have the highest pay scale in the industry for installers. Do you think its because they like giving away money? Or would you think its so they can attract and train the best installers out there...
9) (YOUR LIE)You should have followed your dead father's advice and did it right in the first place. You could have spent 50% less to save that one tank of oil per year by buying The Andersen Woodwright. He must be turning over in his grave wondering how he could have raised such a stupid son!
Truth is: Its imposible to turnover in one grave. Houdini tried it and failed...
 20th of Nov, 2011 by   windowman +1 Votes
Ignorance is bliss!!!
HavanaBrian you need to educate yourself. 1) Most window manufacturers have lifetime warranties that are transferable to the next homeowner. Andersen doesn't. 2) Andersen (the main company) does not make RBA windows. RBA makes RBA windows. RBA also makes windows for Andersen (the main company). 3) Mostly not understandable, however I will try to decipher your thoughts. It is a franchise not an affiliate. LIRBA is one of the few franchises that refuses to hire their own installers. They use ONLY subcontractors. 4) At the very least, a stop MUST be removed to install a replacement window. This must be replaced. 5) RBA does not charge for INSTALLING grills. They charge for the grills (just like the windows) on an install price. In other words, RBA will not sell a window or a grill for someone else to install. 6) The serial number is on the frame, Not on the glass. 7) There is no such thind as a "stock" Woodwright window. There is the new construction Woodwright (has a nailing flange) and a replacement Woodwright (no nailing flange). 8) Once again, the installers at RBALI are subcontractors. Your in depth wage knowledge concerning not only the pay scale for RBA installers but also the entire industry is unsubstantiated and nothing more than hot air. You have no basis for your statement. 9) When you die, you can inform the multitudes on whether it is possible to turn over in your grave. As of now, I leave it as an expression used often in society.
Disagreeing based on lack of knowledge is acceptable. Disagreeing with accusations of intentional false information ("Your Lies") is not. I can only conclude that you are associated with RBA (maybe an installer) and you are proof as to why people should stay away from RBA franchises! CONGRATULATIONS
 21st of Mar, 2012 by   D Robb 0 Votes
Pella Warranty: 20/10/2 20 on glass seals 10 on non-glass 2 on install all FULLY transferable.
Pella has etched product keys in their windows since the 70's
Most window companies in my region DO charge by the opening and not by what is included I.E. there would be no charge for grids to be installed.
Up until 3 years ago the RBA website actually had a breakdown of performance comparing fibrex to wood, and the pine window (Andersen Corp) out-performed it in every category.
Fibrex is not wood, that is accurate, it is saw dust and glue, with several different material properties contributing to is longevity or quick demise.
I am located in the northern energystar region of the United States and would purchase wood clad (Marvin, Pella, Andersen) over the fibrex window 100 out of 100 time regardless of price.
The RBA (and 99% of all vinyl window companies) install practice is what is considered a pocket install where the work is done almost entirely on the ext of home and int trim is untouched. This is what has lead to the air, water, insect issues people see. The old frame from that "rotten wood window" is still in the opening, RBA just covers it with some ext. trim so that you cant see it.
The proper way to replace a window is to remove the entire unit down to the rough opening and re-insulate, seal, and trim the entire window inside and out, just as if the unit was a new construction unit without a nail flange. Flashing tape is a must. If done properly in an area where you get all 4 seasons a standard wood-clad unit will out-last vinyl every time and perform better than the fibrex windows over time.
It's fine if you don't agree, but I'm right
 25th of Sep, 2012 by   gsmckee -1 Votes
We have also found out, by purchasing 49 Pella Architect Series Double Hung windows, that Pella does not stand behind their products. We are now working out our differences in a court of law. As many of you may know, once you have been taken by a company, at least in Iowa, we only had 2 years to file with the court for help. We gave Pella the benefit of the doubt and nearly 2 years to fix our windows. They refused to even attempt to provide any communication unless we called every day or emailed every day. We then figured out that Pella was only "playing us" to run out their 2 year time frame. So here we sit, waiting on the Iowa Court System to play out. Our trial is set for Marion County Court, Iowa on February 12, 2013. This has been a long time coming, as we have been homeless since the fall of 2009 when we installed our Pella windows into our home. They leak water/snow so badly that we have an extremely awful mold problem when it is wet. You can see the videos that are posted on YouTube of our home under Pella Window Problems. We posted these so that other home owners could see the potential windows that they might be thinking of putting into their homes. We want to educate the population on our problems. Please do your homework!
 6th of Dec, 2012 by   Mike James 500 0 Votes
I have been selling Andersen windows & many other windows since 1995. Of all the many windows companies out there, I have found Andersen to be the best YET! I live in central California where there are many so so window install companies. Most want to slam a vinyl piece of crap on your home and call it good, for twice the cost of an Andersen! NO one in the sate of California can offer a life time warranty. Milgard windows did it many years ago, but, the owner of the company knew he would only need to warranty 5% of them. Most people move every 7-10 yrs. Virgin vinyl with no structure to it (alum, steel) will warp and bow over time (fact). Aluminum windows will cause heat and cold to transmit into your house. Aluminum/Clad windows cant be fusion welded in the mitered corners, so they over lap them (this separates over time). All wood windows (most are Doug Fir & Pine) will rot over time in the weather. I would love to sell Renewal by Andersen again!
 22nd of Feb, 2014 by   Bellinha 0 Votes
I am looking to replace all the windows in my house and, of course, I thought of Andersen. I had a representative at my house and I loved the demonstration. The product looked really good and I was really interested. He quoted me $50, 000 price, but when I told him that I would like to think about it for a couple of days since it was a lot of money, He told me that if I made a decision on the spot that the price would drop to $35, 000. That completely turned me off. I felt like I was at a flea market. How can you sell a $50, 000 product for $35, 000? Its insane and it does not make sense. Had I accepted the $50, 000 quote, who would pocket the difference? The salesperson or the company? That is not a way of doing business.
Very disappointed of the way the salesperson did business, he was very pushy and looked like he was shoving the windows down my throat and that I had to purchase now. He was insulted that I did not make my decision on the spot.
 7th of Mar, 2014 by   windowman 0 Votes
Bellinha

The representative who came to your home was from a New Jersey company that bought a franchise from Renewal By Andersen. Renewal By Andersen makes the replacement windows for Andersen Windows and Doors. RBA also makes a replacement window for Andersen retail outlets like Home Depot etc. This window, The Woodwright, is better, less expensive (in your case it would have been in the $35, 000 range) with no high pressure sales tactics. In fact, you or anyone else can install the window with written instructions from Andersen guiding you. Stay away from the RBA Franchise.
 12th of Mar, 2014 by   takenagain902 0 Votes
WINDOWMAN...YOUR A LIAR AND YOU ARE DOING A HUGE DIS-SERVICE TO THIS BOARD! Renewal By Anderson has a LIFETIME WARRANTY WITH NO QUESTIONS ASK...SIMPLE PUT "THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY"...PERIOD.

STOP LYING WINDOWMAN!!!
 13th of Mar, 2014 by   windowman 0 Votes
Dear Takenagain902
You have a very catchy name. Please read the enclosed warranty and then go throw up all over yourself like a good little boy.

Renewal by Andersen® Corporation Limited WarrantyFor Renewal by Andersen® Products and Installation
Your Renewal by Andersen® products are warranted under a fully transferable limited warranty covering parts, labor, and original installation services as follows:

Twenty (20) year limited warranty for glass
The insulating glass in Renewal by Andersen® window sash and door panels is warranted to be free from defects in manufacturing, materials and workmanship for twenty (20) years from the original installation date. Insulating glass is warranted not to develop, under normal use and conditions, any material obstruction of vision resulting from manufacturing defects or as a result of premature failure of the glass or organic seal. Slight glass curvature and minor scratches or other imperfections in the glass that do not impair structural rigidity or significantly obscure normal vision are not covered by this Limited Warranty.

If your Renewal by Andersen window sash or door panel glass is found to be defective, we may elect to either repair or replace the defective sash or door panel, at no cost to you. Such repairs and replacement parts are warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period.

Two (2) year limited warranty on installation
Installation of your Renewal by Andersen window or door products and other Andersen company brand products by an authorized installer is warranted for a period of two (2) years from the date of original installation. During this period, should your Renewal by Andersen window or door fail to perform according to our specifications due to improper original installation, we will bring the workmanship up to our professional standards, at no cost to you.

This Limited Warranty on installation does not extend to labor/services performed by anyone other than the original authorized installer, nor to the installation or repair of any finishing or other materials that have been applied to or adjacent to the product after the initial installation.

Ten (10) year limited warranty for components other than glass
The frame and sash members of your Renewal by Andersen window are constructed of Fibrex® material. All Fibrex material components of your Renewal by Andersen products are warranted not to flake, rust, blister, peel, crack, pit, corrode, or rot, under normal use, for ten (10) years from the original installation date.

The non-glass and non-Fibrex material components of your Renewal by Andersen windows and doors are warranted to be free from defects in manufacturing, materials and workmanship for a period of ten (10) years from the original installation date. This includes, but may not be limited to, components such as locks, lifts, balance systems, hinges, handles, insect screens and weatherstripping. During the warranty period, we may elect to either repair or replace any defective Renewal by Andersen products or components for you, at no cost. Such repairs and replacement parts are warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period.

The following sections provide an itemization of conditions and events not covered by this Limited Warranty, and an explanation of how to obtain help under this Limited Warranty.

General conditions and exclusions
The limited warranties set forth in this document are the only express warranties (whether written or oral) applicable to your Renewal by Andersen windows and doors, and no one is authorized to modify or expand these written warranties. All warranty claims must be made during the applicable warranty period.

ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE WILL EXPIRE WITH THE TIME LIMITS OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY TERMS SET FORTH ABOVE. RENEWAL BY ANDERSEN EXCLUDES AND WILL NOT PAY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, AND ITS LIABILITY WILL IN ALL INSTANCES BE LIMITED TO REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE DEFECTIVE PRODUCT(S), COMPONENT(S), OR INSTALLATION.

Some states and provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or of how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.

This Limited Warranty is only applicable in the U.S.A. and Canada. This Limited Warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary by state or province. See your Renewal by Andersen representative for warranty coverage of Renewal by Andersen® products purchased or installed outside of the U.S.A. or Canada.

What is not covered by this limited warranty
Some things are not covered by this Limited Warranty such as: damage caused by improper use or maintenance, normal wear and tear, accident, abuse or neglect, acts of God, any painting or staining not performed in accordance with Renewal by Andersen painting or staining guidelines, caulking, except within the installation warranty coverage period; tarnishing or corrosion to hardware finishes except as specifically noted above in this Limited Warranty; fading of colored products due to normal weathering exposure; damage caused by others (e.g., brickwash, use of razor blades, use of sealants, sanding or improper washing); damage due to exposure to conditions beyond published performance specifications; damage to the products caused by water infiltration other than as a result of a defective product or glass; damage due to condensation; damage caused by airborne pollutants such as salt or acid rain; damage caused to the products by use of corrosive cleaning agents or exposure to harsh chemicals; damage caused to the products as a result of settling or structural failure of the structure in which the products are installed; damage as a result of any unauthorized modifications to the products performed after initial installation (e.g., glass tinting, security systems, insulated window coverings, etc.); slight glass curvature and minor scratches or other imperfections in the glass that do not impair structural rigidity or significantly obscure normal vision; or minor warpage of wood and clad wood doors. Andersen may defer actions on any claim for warpage for a period of up to twelve (12) months from the date of the claim in order to permit conditioning and equalization to humidity and temperature conditions. Andersen does not warrant the performance of the low-maintenance exterior glass coating on products with High-Performance Low-E4® glass. Performance will vary depending on environmental conditions. Installation services by other than authorized Renewal by Andersen installers are not covered.

Special glazings, electric window operators, brass hardware finishes, and Andersen® art glass or decorative glass are not covered under this Limited Warranty. Renewal by Andersen painting and staining instructions are available from your Renewal by Andersen sales representative. All warranties are void if the Renewal by Andersen window or door unit is removed from the structure in which it was originally installed by anyone other than an authorized Renewal by Andersen installer. Also excluded from this Limited Warranty are labor/services and materials to paint or stain any repaired or replaced product, component, trim, finishing or other materials applied to or adjacent to the products, or other carpentry work that may be required. Applicable taxes are also excluded.

Andersen® company brand products including Andersen® windows and doors, Eagle windows and doors, Silver Line windows and doors and Andersen® and EMCO® storm and screen doors have their own limited warranties and are not covered by this limited warranty.
 13th of Mar, 2014 by   windowman 0 Votes
Dear Takenagain902
Stupid name for a stupid person. Please read and then go throw up on yourself.

For Renewal by Andersen® Products and Installation