logo

4. (1 hr 5 mins ago)
Union Workers Credit Services
PLATINUM CARD Membership for $37 fee
5. (1 hr 20 mins ago)
Iranian hospital Dubai...worst hospital with worst surgeons
Iranian hospital Dubai.....worst hospital with worst surgeons

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Plumbing 911 Complaints & Reviews - Overcharge for water leak repair

Plumbing 911 Contacts & Informations

Plumbing 911

Posted:    Sean

Overcharge for water leak repair

Plumbing 911
On February 11th, 2010 my wife contacted a company called Plumbing 911 regarding a leak at the front of our house. I believe their main office is located on 312 Brentwood Avenue, Trussville, Alabama 35173. I believe the company is owned by a Tony C. Gowins.

Unfortunately I have been out of town and my wife was at the house (with our 15 month old) when they showed up at 4 pm. Over the phone the company said there would be a $39 service charge for showing up but that would apply to any repairs that would be made. The two employees proceeded with the repair and they completed it by 7pm for a total of 6 manhours. They then called their office and were told to charge my wife $2675 (they had to dig a hole with shovels to access the leak and replaced some fittings). I contacted their office the next day to challenge the charge and I was told that they would call me back- they never did. I called back several times and they finally called me back on 2/18. I explained the situation by saying that with 2 manhours of travel time, 6 manhours of work and $50 in material that they were charging $328/manhour of work. She replied that they charge by the type of job. I asked if that if they charged by the type of the job why didnt they provide an estimate up front. Her response was that didnt my wife ask for one. I wasnt extremely pleased with that response as Im sure my wife was more concerned about taking care of a 15 month old since I wasnt around to help. Is it legal in Alabama for a plumbing contractor to proceed with work without an estimate? To be truthful I probably would have demanded one but I would have never in my wildest imagination thought that this job would cost $2675

We did fail to check out the company with the Better Business Bureau. If we had of done that we wouldnt have used them. They have a D+ rating and if you read some of the reviews it is pretty clear this isnt this first time they have used this practice.

Is there anything that can be done about this company? It is a shame that they have business practices like this and it is even more aggravating that they took advantage of my wife who was trying to care for a child with a husband out of town. I doubt I will ever get my money back but Alabama businesses that operate in this manner need to be held accountable. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Comments United States Plumbing Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Jul, 2011 by   the rightous 0 Votes
it is simple what you have to do take them to small claims court it will cost you 230.00 but guaranteed to get all your money back plus court costs courts hate contractors that mislead or out and out steal from unsuspecting customers, and you know he 911 plumbing have several complaints that the courts know about

Investment Fraud