logo

4. 0 four years. . Last course = f

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Playboy Complaints & Reviews - Billing scam is alive and well!

Playboy Contacts & Informations

Playboy

Posted:    marilynd

Billing scam is alive and well!

My son started receiving bills in his college dorm this past spring (2006) for a Playboy magazine subscription that he never ordered. He ignored the bills and now he has received the same nasty collection notice from Charles Martin that others here have mentioned. Charles is only asking for $10 for the subscription, so I guess his $17 and $12 scam solicitations aren't working for him. I don't recall
the exact P.O. box, but it is definitely in a city in Iowa other than Des Moines, so he's moving around, too. Let's hope he leaves the country and goes into another line of business before more innocent young people give up $10 in fear of having their credit damaged.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Jan, 2007 by   Gina 0 Votes
My son started receiving invoices from Playboy about 3 months ago. He called me from AZ (I live in IL) asking what to do about it. I asked him if he got the magazine and he said no, so I told him to ignore the invoice as they were probably trying to get him to subscribe. Last night he phoned me again saying he got a very threatening letter signed by Mr. Charles Martin. The letter said if he did not send $17.00 he would be turned over to a collection agency. However, there was no invoice number, no date of subscription, or account number...rather odd wouldn't you say? I told him to give me the phone number on the letter and I would call them. Imagine...no phone number either.

Wonder how many people have actually sent them money to keep their good credit.
 26th of Jun, 2007 by   Josue Pereira 0 Votes
I have recently received the same type of threatening letter from the infamous Charles Martin regarding my awful negligence about me not paying my playboy subscription that I never subscribed for. I live in southwest Florida, and this is the second letter from this scammer. I noticed the subtle peculiarities these letters possessed or lack thereof: No invoice number, due date and no phone number to reach their billing department. Frankly, I am not worried about this letter. Hope this scumbag gets caught!
 27th of Aug, 2007 by   cheez 0 Votes
(515) 243-1200

There you guys go... call and bitch the poor girl out like i did. This number will cancel your subscription if you ask, and you can file complaints there. I suggest you do.
 10th of Oct, 2007 by   Joe 0 Votes
I too was frustrated with these collection letters, however if you call 1-800-999-4438 you will get playboy and if you follow the prompts through to customer service, they will cancel this billing.
 5th of Dec, 2007 by   Brandon L. Entsminger 0 Votes
I received a letter and bill for 17.26 and sent back a letter saying i didn't receive anything from the company and do not want to receive anything from the company. I sent it Certified and got a signature back from Stacie Frederick. I don't know if that helps anyone out, but i kept the copy for my records. I will ignore anything else from the company.
 24th of Jan, 2008 by   Brian Arnold 0 Votes
I recieved a notice thanking me for my order and telling me that they will start sending out merchandise that I didn't order. What a big scam. I will not accept any of that trash at my house. I will call that number to make sure that my children don't find that trash in the mail.
 9th of Apr, 2008 by   rick campbell 0 Votes
I recieved a notice from the charles martin guy and instead of disputing this I paid it last year. I wrote a letter to them saying to cancel it and now I have another auto renew from a R. DUNCAN. How do you get them to cancel or quit automatically renewing the magazine?
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by   Canada 0 Votes
I also received the same letter about a sir Charles Martin for playboy reguarding me not paying a subscrition someone else filled out with the wrong last name saying that i havent payed my subscription for 6 months and the irs will be contacted, so i called the lady and got the subscription cancelled, they said personally that sir charles martin is fake and to disreguard the information, theywere trying to get my interenet money!
 11th of Jun, 2008 by   eric 0 Votes
Here was my experience with unordered Playboy subscription.

I got 2 letters from a R. Duncan and one from Charles Martin, with no contact phone number and fishy wording.

Basically the letters said that I had not fulfilled my part of the agreement, and they were going to do something about it. The letter did not threaten collections, did not have a contact number, and did not look legit to me.

I got online, because I was damn certain I did not order this magazine. I put in Charles Martin and sure enough, this complaint site hits the top. If you sort through all the complaints to find out the legitimacy of this subscription, you will find a poster that says to call 1-800-999-4438.

Google this number, and it is not affiliated with Playboy, its website, or its merchandise. There's hardly 2 pages of results with the term: Playboy+1-800-999-4438

Of course, I call it anyways. The first time I got Kelsey. She did not introduce herself from Playboy, did not affiliate herself with Playboy and did not say the word in our conversation. She assured me that I had filled out a magazine card and sent it in Jan. 11, 2008, from a previous address, which I moved out of Nov. 31st, 2007 (I did not tell her this little piece of info). I told her that I was suspicious of this invoice and found it even odder that there was no phone number on it. She assured me that she had the original card and all I had to do was write her, explaining the situation, with my signature, and I could get a copy of the original. She was quick with me and gave me an address of PLAYBOY, PO Box 2007, Harlan, IA 51593. She did not end the call with any affiliation with Playboy.

I went back to the webs, because my gut was still telling me this is bs. Oh, and I moved Nov. 31st 2007, so there is no possible way I sent it from my previous address.

I went to Playboy.com to try and find a contact number to call their customer service, and nothing, nowhere. I found the -write to us- button, on the bottom of the page and I was directed to: http://www.playboy.com/help/email.html

In the first box, click -customer service Playboy.com- and you will be directed to:

Ok, this is where it gets very interesting. All it asks to log in to your account is your account number off the magazine. Enter only 10 numbers after PLY, on your invoice...

...and voila, your information!!!

Want to see something scary? I am a pretty curious person so I looked up this http...anything with the prefix of

and I found a Men's Journal one at:

I put my account number from my Playboy magazine into the Men's Journal one
...and voila, some dudes information!!!

To top it all off, I could change his address and renew his subscription...with a button that says BILL ME LATER!!!

This is a horrible breach of security and privacy. I think you all can imagine how to get your hands on some magazine accounts.

SO, I call back 1-800-999-4438 but this time I do not put my account information through the telephone and just wait to talk to an operator. This time I get Stephanie, who also does not say "Playboy" once throughout our conversation. She asked for an account number and a name, and came back to tell me that this has been canceled. I told her it was mighty odd that someone had sent in the card from a residence I had not lived at for almost 2 months, and then to find out it just miraculously canceled. She was very short with me and thanked me and hung up, never saying thank you or sorry or any affiliation with Playboy.

I dearly hope Charles Martin comes after me again. I can't wait until he threatens me with collections or leaves a number to contact him at. I could care less what he does to me. Come on Chuck! Bring it on you lying, cheating POS!!!

Here are the addresses:

R. Duncan (2 letters; one starting, "When you ordered...", and a second one starting, "Because your account is seriously past due, ...)
PLAYBOY
P.O. Box 2007
Harlan, IA 51593-0222

Charles Martin (1 letter, much more threatening, probably 3rd notice or something starting off "Your account has been turned over to me because...")
PLAYBOY
P.O. Box 10915
Des Moines, IA 50340-0915

I really hope Chucky sends me another letter...might just have to go visit Iowa. But I think the real problem is with the buysub web sites.
 14th of Jun, 2008 by   Malcolm Rainey 0 Votes
I have a complaint about a gift subscription that I ordered for two years in a row in 2006 and 2007 to be received starting in Jan. of 2007 and 2008. Only 3 issues were in 2007 and none in so far in 2008 and now I am receiving a request that I order another Gift for the same person. I need to know where I would go to find out why they were never received. Please let me know so that I can check into this.
 20th of Jun, 2008 by   FM 0 Votes
My family keeps being sent letters but we have not opened them as the person to whom they are addressed does not exist at our household. We have repeated written return to sender, no such person, cease and desist, on the exterior of these mailings, returned them to the mailbox and the postal carrier has taken them away. Yet we still continue to receive mailings and keep doing the same thing. So, we had emailed (made thisw email acct to do so rather than utilizing our regular email accts) to their customer service (plycustserv@cdsfulfillment.com); we did not include our name but the fact that of the above written including the 'name' they were sending to and address and stated that we do NOT want even to be emailed back to, thus to cease and desist in all formats. I am sending a copy of that email to the State Attorney General and also to our attorney (in case such need should arise). After all it is an invasion to our privacy on many levels. And i do not wish to call the numbers they list as it is not our desire to begin receiving any sort of telephone spams/marketers.
 25th of Aug, 2008 by   Alice Peters 0 Votes
I ordered two (2) gift subscriptions to Playboy (renewals) and received only ONE (1) gift enclosure card.
I must have two (2). Please send another. Thank you.
 2nd of Sep, 2008 by   Barney Bonets 0 Votes

Never subscribed - Playboy

I never ordered Playboy, yet was told (2nd notice) that I owe $15.96.
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   JS 0 Votes
I have also received multiple invoices from Charles Martin regarding a non-existent subscription. I contacted my state attorney general and the Federal Trade Commission through their consumer protection websites. This is definitely a scam.
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   Don Little 0 Votes
I also recieved a notice from a collection agency for a dept to Playboy for $15.97. I never ordered Playboy, I don't want Playboy. Is there some-thing you could do to clear this-up?
I don't have anything against your mag. I just don't want to pay for some-thing I never ordered. Thank you, D. Little
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   lavgrl 0 Votes
515-243-1200 is for subscriber services (option 5 for magazine subscription customer service.) They sent me a letter saying that I had almost a month to cancel but already charged my credit card for renewal!! Now I have to wait a month for my credit card to be credited back. Thank god that card wasn't maxed out! The new Playboy management is horrible and the tricks they are pulling are way out of line. I can't forget to mention that the new Playboy website does not have any phone numbers listed on it. I had to get the customer service number off of my credit card bill! Also, the one link they do have that says "unsubscribe" actually brings you to another one of their websites to buy something else. I'm pretty sure that is illegal. Please pass on the word to not subscribe to this magazine. Plus, the magazine isn't even good anymore now that Hef is no longer part of it!
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   rickymorris32 0 Votes

did not order this magazine - Playboy

i recieved a playboy in mail that i did not order i dont want no more playboy deliveries
 11th of Oct, 2009 by   Dreamer91 0 Votes
Hello I have also been mailed about something that i never ordered. The letter's first came when (i was 17 year's old not old enough to even have that) my dad bitched at me saying that you don't pay for women. well the first one said that i owned 16.75 and then i ignored it and got a bunch of them then i got one from "sunrise Credit Services Inc." saying to pay them or they will mess up my credit funny because i don't even have credit yet or an account then a month later (today) i got another one saying that i ow them $27.00 So i called and supposedly it was cancelled will see what Charles has in store for us in the near future.
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   Terri McCready 0 Votes

did not get mag 3 months - Playboy

Did not get playboy mag. 3 different months this year. Last time was Dec. issue
 3rd of Apr, 2010 by   Attorney Harvey Rephen 0 Votes
Hi, I'm a consumer advocate in NYC. I have settled several cases with Sunrise under the FDCPA. If you would like free advice or representation feel free to contact me.
Regards,