logo

AirArabia
Cancellation of Tickets
3. (9 mins ago)
delicaterx.com
They are scammers and don’t provide orders
4. (21 mins ago)
LESS SR 1,30 DAILY

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Phillips / Magnavox LCD TV Complaints & Reviews - WARNING: Do not buy a Phillips/Magnavox product!

Phillips / Magnavox LCD TV Contacts & Informations

Phillips / Magnavox LCD TV

Posted:    Jon

WARNING: Do not buy a Phillips/Magnavox product!

After numerous unproductive calls to the Magnavox Customer Support Line and as a last resort I have written a letter to Magnavox to demand a full refund for an LCD TV Magnavox LCD, Model: 32MF1D/37 Serial: BZ3A0609170320. I purchased this TV on 4/21/2006. The TV began having issues on 6/15/2006. The unit would not respond to the remote or to manual commands. The unit would turn off periodically by its self and/or the screen would go blank with the power remaining on. I have taken this TV to two separate repair shops. The TV sat in the first repair shop for a month and a half July 2nd thru September 1st, while Magnavox failed to ship the desired part, a CBA Sealer, to the authorized dealer. I then took the TV to a second repair shop, where the TV has currently been for a month and 1/2, hoping to have a better outcome. This repair shop is stating the same issue, that Magnavox has not sent the part. When I call Magnavox Customer Support I get absolutely no where. I have attempted to order the part myself directly from Magnavox and was turned away. Since Magnavox has stated they are unwilling to send me the part and for one reason or another Magnavox has been unable to send the part to the repair shop with in the 3 ½ months and counting I wrote a letter demanding a full refund. If I do not receive a response to resolve this issue I will be filing a claim in Florida against Magnavox in the amount of the TV. WARNING: Do not buy a Phillips/Magnavox product.

Jon
Naples FL
Comments United States Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Sep, 2007 by   Terry 0 Votes
I too bought a Magnavox LCD TV. Model number 42MF521D. Within 6 months the tv had issues with the power shutting off on its own. Then the last time it did that and will not come on at all. The power board is fried. When I called Magnavox I did get help and they have sent an authorized repairman to my residence to solve the issue. My only complaint about the call center is that the people that work there seem uneducated and lazy (the way that they talk on the phone and handle business over the phone). Sounds like a bunch of hungover college students that do not want to help. But they are replacing the faulty power board in the tv at no cost.
 3rd of Dec, 2007 by   Pamela Sue Mullins 0 Votes
We recieved a 32" Magnavox model MS32525431 at Christmas 2004. We opened it and turned it on Christmas eve, and when we got up the NEXT MORNING it would not turn on. I spent the better part of the following business day trying to get something done on the phone about it, only to have it turn on about the 15th time I tried it while talking to the service center. It was only 87 days int0 the warranty when they decided to replace the "Whole Insides". It worked well for about 6 months and began to turn itself off while watching a program. This went on for about a year, and then you would have to turn it on numerous times before it would stay on, or change the channels repeatedly for up to 80 times before it would stay on. Finally at the ripe old age of 2 years and 2 months of age, it would no longer turn on at all. It has been sitting in my living room floor for the past 9 months where it has been temporarily replaced with a $50 RCA
from a garage sale. Christmas is coming again and I will have to explain to my daughter and son-in-law why the TV they purchased is not working. I also have in my basement a Zenith that was purchased in March of 1981 that still works... knob is broken, but it still turns on and works. I feel that we have been stiffed and would like to do something about it, but don't know where to start. Any Ideas?
 16th of Dec, 2007 by   Gary Williams 0 Votes
Here's another customer complaint involving yet another Magnavox Television. I purchased a 50" DLP Model #50ML8105D/17 on 3/19/06. I had two service issues with it while under warranty with it just going out while watching it. Well, wouldn't you know? Three weeks outsided of warranty it broke again. After numerous calls to customer service (in Phillipians) and much frustration with out getting very far, I was finally contacted by someone here is the U.S. Magnavox did agree to pay for the parts and I would be responsible for the labor. I agreed and said that was fair considering it was in fact just out of warranty. When I called the repair center to set up service, the tech told me they would probably replace my unit because they had tons of problems with that particular model and they were giving customers new units. For whatever reason, they didn't replace mine, they repaired it. It costs me $310.00 out of pocket expenses. It's now 13 months I've owned this unit I've already had to fork up cash on it. Now, six months after having the unit repaired, it broke again. Doing the same thing as before. I was irate! I called Magnavox, faxed them my original sales receipt as well as the receipt for repair and asked if they would at least push back on the service center since the center said they had replaced all internal parts, or if they would repair the unit again considering the history of poor performance with this (these) particular units. Once again, I got run-around after run-around with customer service and someone said they would contact entitlement and would have the unit fixed again since it was doing the same thing as before. Well, someone in customer service lied. I spoke with a very rude lady in entitlement that said Magnavox would not repair the television. I even explained to her that if the repair shop had repaired it to new just as they said they had, technically this unit is only six months old. Even if she didn't want to go under that premise then here we go again with a unit that's poorly manufactured and now we're back to square one with the fact that they should have replaced it like the others. She adamantly said no. She even told me to feel free to complain about it if I wanted because they would not repair the television. She even encouraged me to get on the website and complain because they would do nothing about it. She made me feel as though I was the problem. She had a horrible attitude. I explained to her that I had done nothing by purchase their product. Now, I being penalized for doing just that, purchasing their product. I promise I will never buy another Magnavox product, neither will my family or friends especially not after I've share this story.
 27th of Dec, 2007 by   Cory Jones 0 Votes
We bought a 30 Magnavox LCD in November 2005. this past November 2007 the thing died. Magnavox's parts are over $300, which doesn't make it worth repairing. The repair shop said he has had nothing but problems with Magnavox/Phillips. Circuit City said just about everyone they sold came back defective. Where is the recall, Magnavox? I would be interested in joing a class action law suit against Phillips and Magnavox based upon all of the problems they have had.

Beware, the new brands (Insignia, etc) you haven't heard of will probably have similar problems. They don't have technical support if something goes wrong. You won't save money buying these cheap brands.
 9th of Jan, 2008 by   Jacob Farnsworth 0 Votes
I have a 19in HD lcd magnavox that my brother gave to me because he was sick of trying to get it to work. It will turn on if it has been off for a few days and stay on anywhere from 10min- 2hours and then the picture decides to go blank. Somtimes the sound stays on when this happens, other times the sound will go out first and the picture will stay on for a few more min.

On top of all this there is a green line running down the center of the screen that will not go away. After a few min of the tv being on more green specks will start to form all around the rest of the screen and then it will turn off a few min later.

Im (expletive) about the whole thing. The company is no help and any repair service I contact doesnt know why its doing any of the things it does.

Any one out there know why its doing this?
 12th of Jan, 2008 by   Tracy M Estes 0 Votes
I also have a 32" Magnavox projection tv that I purchased in 2002, Model number MS3250 C321. About 6 months after I puchased it, the tv started powering off on its own, or the picture would go blank and cut off. I cut it back on and it would stay on a few minutes and then off again. After about 30 minutes of cutting the tv back on when it goes off , it will finally stay on. I never cut it off anymore, I just mute it and go to bed. Even then after a couple of days it will go off and I have to start that off and on cycle over again. What a rip off.
 13th of Jan, 2008 by   Wendy Kay 0 Votes
I bought a 37" magnavox at walmart on 5/15/07 , and it stopped working 12/31/07. It won't come on anymore, light just keeps blinking like its trying to come on, but won't.

And listen to this, this is where they get you, the warrenty covers only the first 90 days for labor, and 1 year for parts. And the the repair shop that they sent me to (which is 1hr 30mins away) wants 100$ for labor just to look at it, not including what the repair will be.

I will never, never, never buy another LCD TV from Magnavox.
And my advice to others that are concidering buying a LCD TV, should do there research first on the internet to see who is complaining, and make sure you know what that warrenty covers, and how long.

I will say thanks to God i have a very smart husband, and he did fix the tv, the capacitor 2074 on power supply went bad ( 1hour fix, 3$), and they wanted 100$ to look at it.

I hope i helped everyone with the information i am sharing. I will say that the best tv i have bought so far that has not gave me any problems is my Vizio.
 19th of Jan, 2008 by   Chris McCloud 0 Votes
Got the same problem with my phillips LCD. I was using it in monitor mode and thought I'd bumped the remote's power button, unit powers up green light stays on but only gives a short flash to the screen. Day 3 troubleshooting and I can find nothing wrong with the power board :( My only choice is either trash it or gamble 30$ on a schematic and pray lol. If I can fix it great if not then no more lcd or plasma units for me till they fix em
 29th of Jan, 2008 by   Peter Cullen 0 Votes
I am also have the same issue. I purchased a 37 inch digital LCD model no. 37MF337. After about two months the picture would go out and only sound works. Recently the sound would go out but the picture stays on. The few times I have turned the TV off it takes hours to get it going again. Last night the electricity went out in my ouse and now the TV will not turn on at all. the power button just keeps flasing like it is going to turn on and it will not respond to the remote or manually. I will NEVER buy this brand again. what a joke
 31st of Jan, 2008 by   Dawne Ferguson-Prance 0 Votes
I bought a Magnavox 37" lcd tv in August of 07. I was moving it from one stand to another when the screen cracked. I didn't hit it, didn't drop it, it just cracked. No where in the literature does it tell you how fragile the display screen is, or how it should be properly handled. Of course, the warantee won't cover it because it's considered 'customer abuse' although how just moving it can be considered it abuse, I really don't know. I feel that Philips is responsible for not telling consumer's the 'proper' and safe way to handle their products. Only 5 months and I'm out $700+. Never again.
 13th of Feb, 2008 by   Hal Hailey 0 Votes
Thanks! I was about to buy a Magnavox LDC HDTV. You saved me from a bad experience. Too bad - I'm old enough to remember when Magnavox was a proud company with high quality products.
 21st of Feb, 2008 by   Keith Denton 0 Votes
I bought a Magnavox LCD Model 37MF23ID back in March of 2007. Just last week , February of 2008 the screen went black. It still has sound. The Magnavox customer service people are useless. They gave me the contact with a repair facility only for me to find out they want $479.00 in labor to look at it. I paid $1000.00 for this unit. The repair shop said these TV's are disposable now days. Phillips/Magnavox is a JOKE. I should have viewed this website before deciding to buy a Maget-box. The kids now have a $1000.00 TV speaker. The speaker will blow up next.
 1st of Mar, 2008 by   Wisconsin Family 0 Votes
Hello

WE we so excited to get a great deal on a 37 inch Magnavox LCD tv from Target Superbowl week.... 539.00 great price using our 10% off Target card.

WELL............. Here it is March 1st...... less than 90 days later and ....last night we turned it off working fine..... Today about 10 am went to turn it on..... full sound, remote works to flip channels but no picture....

Ran through the reg stuff.. replaced coaxial cable cord checkes all ports etc.... its the TV

Called Magnavox to have them tell us it probably needs to be repaired......

WELL guess what MAGNAVOX......... its less than 90 days old..we will not repair it ..we will return it and not buy another one of YOUR products! Magnavox or Phillips.....

WE had NO previous issues or odd things like power on or off stuff just boom.gone no warning

Our family is a busy one and the TV has seen way less use then most would as well so really if it could not last 90 days what does that say... glad it broke now as under 90 days we can return it!

also glas we did not buy the expensive new computer to hook up to it as well as now we will buy something else.. and keep our other computer..

Customer service is a joke.... repairs would cost more than TV
I would suggest not buying this product!

If you do GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
please dont email us about this as the email listed is an alias and we wont get the email...sorry
 4th of Mar, 2008 by   anono 0 Votes
I have a 42 " plasma Magnavox and after 1 yr the unit goes to a different shade of black when turning it on. No picture at all! $1500 and this is what I get! Give me a break!

The power button turns blue, but no sound, no picture. What a waste. This same problem happened to one of my friends as well.
 28th of Mar, 2008 by   Mark and Michelle 0 Votes
My husband and I decided to retire our 13" zenith and buy a new flat panel LCD. We purchased it from Target and had it almost 120 days when we got up one morning to watch the news and nothing! It would not even come on. We had just watched it the night before. Of course it is out of wanrranty by 30 days and Magnavox is going to do nothing. They did give us a list of service centers in our area to take it to and have it fixed, but after reading these complaints and hearing that the repair may be costly and it may only work for another 6 months we may cut our lossed and dig the 13" back out of my office and put it back out. I have had magnavox televisions in the past that have lasted 10 years. I can guarantee you that I will not throw my money away on another Magnavox Television again.
 3rd of Apr, 2008 by   Faye Jones 0 Votes
I have had the same problem with my 37 lcd Magnavox
It won't come on and the sound goes off. Now we leave it on all the time! They offered to furnish the part-but they admit it is not in stock now but I have to pay over 400 for the service. I have to use Morman's in Alanta and I live in Cleveland Tn. They won't let me use a cheaper repairman here. But he cannot get the part so I am at my witts end!
 12th of Apr, 2008 by   Rah 0 Votes
I bought a Magnavox home theater system a few years ago. It was a pretty good sounding system, so I was sad when the sub-woofer stopped working. At that point, I actually thought it was still a pretty good deal considering I got the unti on sale and it worked great until then.

Upon moving into my new apartment 6 months ago, I called Magnavox to find they were now Philips trying to find out if I could purchase a new sub-woofer ONLY! I was told there was an exchange program in which they would send me a new one and I would send the old one back for the low, low price of $28. It sounded like a steal and since the old system had worked so well so long I didn't think it would be a problem.

When the box came in, my roommie and I were cofused as to why a sub-woofer would come in a box that large only to open it and find there was a whole new unit...a Philips one. I assumed this was because they didn't make the old sub-woofer and had to send me something since they'd already charged me. I would have had no problem if they were sending me a brand new unit, but if I'd known it was a refurbished unit I would have declined and just went out and purchased a brand new unit.

2 months after purchasing the unit, the remote stopped working. Thinking the batteries were just dead I ignored it and didn't think to look at the battery slot until I got new batteries and since I was very busy, that didn't end up being until another 2 months. It was then that I found out that, not only did the unit only have a 3 month warranty, but that it was also a refurbished unit. I really hadn't even considered the warranty because I'm sure the previous unit was well over it's warranty. Also, when I called to purchase a new sub-woofer they never asked me for an original receipt or anything and just took my word for it knowing that the machine was at least 3 years old and that I was sure the warranty had ended.

Anyway, I called today because I went to turn the unit on manually as always and it did nothing. I called to find out if there was anything I could do about it and all of a sudden they want a copy of the receipt for the ORIGINAL unit and all other forms of bullshit! I'm sure they have a record of when I got this shitty unit. I feel it was a bait and switch to give me a crappy ass unit so that when it flopped right after the warranty ended they could try to get another "$140" out of me to get another shitty unit! NOT GONNA HAPPEN...not when I can get a brand new unit for not much more at J&R Music in NYC!

I think Philips is full of shit and I think Magnavox is full of grade A idiots for joining with a company with garbage products...I used to like Magnavox products.

Point: I'd advise anyone looking into a Philips unit to go with someone a little more reputable like Sony.
 12th of Apr, 2008 by   Rah 0 Votes
Oh...and I didn't finish about the remote...when I called about it a month after the 3 month warranty ended it was because the thing was actually broken because the batteries (yes, the ones that came with the unti) corroded inside the remote.
 20th of Apr, 2008 by   vanessa alllison 0 Votes
same here 1year and 2 months old broke down no help from magnavox
 3rd of May, 2008 by   David Keller 0 Votes
4 months after I bought my Magnavox model 37MF231D at HH Gregg it started shutting off and restarting on it's own. I called the service center and requested warranty service. It cost me $100 to find out it would cost $475 in labor to get it fixed. There is no way I'm paying that much money to fix a TV that is only 4 months old. To bad for me, 2 months later it quit working altogether. I tried discussing my problem with HH Gregg and their only response was that I should have bought their extended warranty. I'll never buy a Magnavox or shop at HH Gregg again!!!

5 Tips to Pick the Right Hospital