logo

The Internet Success Team
fraud
5. (43 mins ago)
MemoryLane.com
Unauthorized charge to my credit card

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Pella Windows and Doors Complaints & Reviews - Pella windows are crap!

Pella Windows and Doors Contacts & Informations

Pella Windows and Doors

Posted:    Valerie

Pella windows are crap!

We spent a lot of money on pella windows and they turned out to be crappy. We get so much moisture around are windows that a rag is soaken wet. We called pella several times complaining about the problem A guy even came out to our house to look at our windows. He said our house is seeled up to tight thats why we get moisture.That is not true, we even have a dehumidifier. They did nothing about helping with the problem. I do not recommend pella windows to anyone.

Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Jun, 2010 by   ABailey -1 Votes
Reading through these posts, I'm sorry to say that I've experienced these same issues with my Pella Architect Series windows and doors (cladding problems, seal failure, rotting wood, spotted glass etc.) installed throughout my home in 1995. Pella denies responsibility for these issues. Please check out this website, detailing the various window and door failures/defects in my home: www.onlinelitigationdiscovery.com I'm interested in hearing any similar stories regarding your problems with Pella on my website. Thanks for your time!
 1st of Jul, 2010 by   ABailey -1 Votes
I'm sad to say that I've experienced many of the same problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may educate consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey
 13th of Aug, 2010 by   glassguy213 0 Votes
I just want to say to SFPella that they need to do some checking. We have a neighbor in Claremont Hills (Berkeley where you live) who is in litigation with Pella. The stipulation for the case is that they NOT spread word of their settlement. They had about 40 windows installed- high end alum clad Architect- and they ALL leaked. They are the ones who turned me on to the problem. I have a house in KY with Proline windows and many (or all) are leaking and rotting. The windows have a KNOWN defect with the seal between the sash and the jamb and Pella can't deny it although they are trying because it will cost MILLIONS to correct!

Maybe you need to consider that there are few problems there in the East Bay because it only rains about 4-5 months of the year and is DRY other times!

The cause of the problem is a poor sealant application under the cladding related to a change in process at the factory. It will not be on all windows because sometimes it is applied in a way that works. Depends on how much water hits the window etc. Pella blames installation but if the installation is so critical why don't they make it so that it can't be installed incorrectly! They have been in the home products business to know that some jack-leg builder will handle their product. They are trying to shift the blame! PELLA SUCKS!!

You can see in my photos that the first is what happens first. This is a fixed window and the sash is soft and rotten.
The second is a different window (casement) facing a different side. Clearly rotten sash.
The third is the other casement window in the same set as number two (opposite corner)
Finally a fixed window about 20 feet off the floor. I had to take pic from the balcony so not so good. Sash and sill are rotting. On a third side of the house. I have windows on the fourth side that I can't get pics of without a ladder.

25th of Aug, 2010 by   gsmckee 0 Votes
I am unable to get onto the website onlinelitigationdiscovery.com . I would like to read all the other comments if I could open this site. Can anyone help with this issue? Please let me know at gsmckee0740@aol.com if you have had problems with Pella products. Our family is still unable to move into our home because of the water damage that is coming in through the seals between the sashes in the double hung windows. Pella nearly all once, but the water still continues to run in our house when it rains. We look forward to hearing from you.
 14th of Sep, 2010 by   du_crealty 0 Votes
I am in agreement with gsmckee, as we are having similar probs, installed all of our Pella windows, sliding doors & skylights in 1990. Would like to get into onlinelitigationdiscovery.com site also, unable to due to same reason as gsmckee.
Please anyone, can you help us? We don't have that kind of $$$ to replace anything at this time.
du_crealty
 19th of Sep, 2010 by   cmpg 0 Votes
$33, 000 top Pella Architect series wide muntin casements, fixed transoms, french doors, 6' half circle window. Installed 1998. W/in 2 yrs had Pella out due to sticking, dragging windows and what looked like swelling in bottom sash clad joint. Pella techs see no problem. Tell me sticking and dragging is "settling". I question the clad joint that faces 'up' on the bottom of the window - potential water problem. Techs tell me joints are super sealed and water will never, ever penetrate. I question how 'settling' causes the dragging in the MIDDLE of the one piece Pella casement unit/frame. Techs have no answer, but they stick in aluminum shims to raise casements. Same problems and call outs 3 more times. Same denials of any Pella problems. Techs even slop on some clear calking, even smearing the caulk in the aluminum 'joint'. Techs still claim that Pella windows are sealed and wood under cladding will NEVER swell. Last year call out again. Windows joints are swollen and several are rotting through to inside frame. Now the 6' Half circle window rubber seal visibly 'waved' up inside glass and condensation in inside entire glass window. This window is fixed and in a 20' peak. Pella denies replacing problem casements. Their claim: "Ooops, past 10 year warranty". Doesn't matter that we've had their techs out for 3-4 times in last 11 years. Pella ALSO denies replacing 6' half circle window with obvious seal issue. Their claim is the same: window installed 11 years ago. EVEN THOUGH PELLA SEALS ARE UNDER A 20 YEAR WARRANTY. $6500 estimate to replace rotting windows and 6' half circle window. Now why would we PAY to replace with Pella??? Lawsuit will be filed. Pella is brazen and while I have been reading other complaints, uses this tactic of dragging out Pella failed windows to beyond the warranty and/or excusing it to other problems. We had Pella supervisor check out installation and they still blamed builder/contractor issues, not their problem. I so want to walk up to new construction houses w/Pella stickers on their windows and tell them to Pella's issues. Our addition is beautiful(windows excluded), and we have had many people walk through for ideas before they begin their own project. We advise them NOT to use Pella Products. The original part of our home has double hung windows w/storms. No issues and 45 years old. We are in the Philadelphia area, so are not coastal, nor do we have year round humidity, or excessive rainy seasons. Previously, we lived in a 160 year old home in Boston Suburbs with the original windows still intact and operating. NO ROT. Pella windows won't last 10 years, let alone 160 years. BUYER BEWARE...
 9th of Jan, 2012 by   pb roy 0 Votes
I have 7 out 17 Pella windows and 2 out 2 sliding doors that are rotting due to proline seal leak. No help from Pella.
 15th of Jan, 2012 by   jodi jednat 0 Votes
I have had nothing but problems with my window i had put in 2 years ago. I have dealt with the rep. many of times having him out to look at these and all i get out of him is the humidity is to high in my house.We run a dehumidifier and we still get all the condensation on them. I would like something done about this i spent way to much money on them.
I refuse to deal with the same person i have in the pass, i will never tell people to buy pella windows.

Jodi
 24th of Jan, 2012 by   Sue Jarecki 0 Votes
We put PRO line 2 on the South side of our house and PRO line 3's on the North side. We have no problem with the PRO line 3's but the PRO line 2's are not so good. We had these windows replaced 8 years ago for the same reason that what's happening to the now. The varnish is popping off and the wood is starting to rot. We had the Techs come out and look at the windows and they told us that we had too high humidity in our house. When the service called me to inform me that Pella can't replace these windows due to high humidity in our house. I asked him if the humidity is so high then why are the North side windows doing the same thing. He said he don't know why and can't answer that. I told him the humidity stays around 40% (which is the norm.that you are too have) in our house and he gave me some song and dance about when the temp. drops at night so should you humidity, I told him that I do not check the humidity level in the middle of the night due to I'm sleeping. He said that Pella just suggest that we use a 50/50 Clorox water mix, clean the wood, sand the wood then stain and varnish again. I told him that I shouldn't have to do that to windows that are 8 years old. The pictures that I saw is exactly what our windows are doing. Pretty sad when you can't get a window to last more than 10 years, we put a cheap Crest line in our garage and that window has been rained on snowed on and the humidity in the garage in the summer time is a little high and we have not had one problem with that window and it only costed us $50 bucks. I'm going to try to call Pella, Iowa and do some complaining there and see where that goes. Don't give up anyone keep complaining.
 20th of Feb, 2012 by   Esmer 0 Votes
STOP! TURN AROUND!!! PELLA CAN NOT BE TRUSTED!!! BEWARE OF PELLA!!!
The warnings I wish I had before signing that contract with Pella. In April 2011 we purchased two sets of French doors and two sidelights. The installations could be compared to a very bad DIY project. One door would not open completely while the other set doors would not close properly, and that was just the minor issues. After many calls and complaints, Pella sent another crew. They pulled everything out and started from the beginning and did a fanatic job. We were happy for about three month. Then I noticed grilles falling off the door and sidelight. Pella's tech said two doors and one sidelight had to be replaced. On November 2011 the doors were replaced but the sidelight was not because the replacement was also defective. The installation of the doors was once again installed improperly, making it hard to close and lock. That's not all. Now the new replacements are defective as well, grilles falling off them. Pella sent another tech to inspect. He said all doors and sidelights were defective and must be replaced. It's going on 4 months and we're still waiting. Pella is waiting too; waiting patiently for us to go away. Fat chance, Pella.
 21st of Mar, 2012 by   D Robb 0 Votes
I can solve all of the condensation issues everyone has.

Listen really close: unlock your window and let the cold air in. That's right, thats what your old windows were doing. Pella has designed their windows to seal as tightly as possible. Now when the temp of the int. pane of glass drops below dew point you are going to get condensation, its almost unavoidable during very long very cold runs of weather. If the humidity is higher than 0% in your home, and it is, and the humidity outside is 0% you Will get condensation, its almost unavoidable.

First thing to look at. 1 Do you have Low-E and argon, if you window is less than 15 years old you should or your contractor ripped you off.

2 If you answered yes to 1 than get a humidity gauge for your home and keep it below 35% this is healthy living standard, and anything in excess of it will make it very difficult to get rid of int condensation.

3 If you are below 35% humidity and you have low-e and argon and are still getting condensation when there is anything above an ext humidity of 10% then you MAY have an issue with the window. On a Pella I recommend you go outside and check the lower piece of aluminum on your sash. Is it loose? yes? call your pella service dept, you need a new sash.

Pella windows don't cause int condensation, do a little research on the causes of it and you may be shocked to learn the reason you get it is because the window performs so well.
 5th of Apr, 2012 by   Penny Greenless 0 Votes
I have been in my house for 11 years now and every winter we have moisture up at least half the window. I have black around the wood now and it looks awful. My sliding door has water laying in the run of the door and now my wood on the inside is rotted. They came out to check it and I have 2 sets of window's that fog up that they are replacing but as for the door they said it's because I didn't clean the snow away from the door. I guess I shouldn't live in Ohio where it snow's because that door doesn't hold up. I am very frustrated because they want me to pay to replace it and I feel it is there product that didn't last.
 14th of Aug, 2012 by   pamorjim 0 Votes
We have 15 pella windows, 4 bay windows, 2 sets french doors. First window installed has just a little graying wood at lower right corner. However 1 bay window in second floor had a round spot on the window sill/seat that bubbled ( i thought my daughter spilled perfume or something) Then after several years it seemed to grow larger. I had the builder come back and look at it, he took pictures and a Pella rep came to look at it. Pella sent new flashing. No one wanted to repair, do the labor or give me estimates on cost to do the labor. Just ignored the problem. Now, it has grown all across the seat and large bubbles on the one side. Local contractor advised to get a mediator to inspect. Sounds costly. Sounds like that is the next step. Anyone know the outcomes of the class action suit against Pella?
 23rd of Aug, 2012 by   bo@campanella.ca 0 Votes
To whom it may concern:
I had my first appointment with your company to install my windows on November 4th 2011. I took that day off from work and waited at my home. When your worker did not arrive at the scheduled time, I called Pella in Montreal to ask what was going on. I was told the worker’s truck had a problem and could not make it to my house. Why did the Pella not call me to inform me this themselves? Why did I have to call your company to be told my appointment was essentially canceled? This is unacceptable customer service. I am employed at an architecture office. Projects have deadlines that must be respected thus I must inform my boss in advance when I need to takes days off. My wages are hourly and I lost income due to your worker’s unreliability. I then had to take another day off from work to schedule a second appointment with your company.
The second appointment to install my windows was on November 11th, 2011. Since this appointment, more than 9 months have passed and the installation of the windows are still not complete (see images in document). The joints of the windows were exposed throughout last winter and are still exposed today. This is not only affecting the esthetics of the windows and my hom but it is also damaging the frames structurally.
I have called Pella in Montreal several times since April to ask for the windows to be completed. Finally, a worker was sent to my home on June 12th, 2012 whereby I had to take yet another day off from work. I honestly thought that this would be the final time that I would have to take time off from work for these windows. However, this was not the case. A Pella employee came to assess what work remains for the windows and then told me that he could not finish the work today because he had 5 other homes waiting to be done first.
I have spent close to 10 thousand dollars for my windows which I believed came from a reputable company. Your salesman and your contractor told me that I had made the right choice to buy Pella windows. However, I have not received the service nor the final product that I was promised and for which I have paid top dollars in full. Other than the fact that the exterior of the windows are not complete, here is a list of additional problems:
1. One of the windows has two handles missing
2. Unacceptable workmanship
3. All nail holes were left exposed
4. The ends and edges of all trims are not stained
5. Some elements are not assembled well
6. Damages caused by windows not being sealed

I have purchased a total of four windows from your company and I am very disappointed and unsatisfied with not only the product you have provided but also the very poor service. The quality of work I was provided was very different from the windows that are on display in your show room; you have not met my expectations, you are deceiving your customers and this is unacceptable. The cost of each window is close to $2500 each, a high price to pay for the windows and service you have provided. I am very disappointed with your company.
Since June 12th, 2012, I have not received any news from Pella. I am expecting an official letter from your company which states when the work on my windows will be finally completed. If there is any structural damage to the frames of the windows due to inclement weather I expect your company to repair them free of charge. Additionally, any damage around the windows caused by the fact that windows were not properly sealed must also be properly repaired by your company. Moreover, I have a two year warranty on these windows. The warranty should only begin on the day the work on the windows has been complete.
I hope that this is the last time I need to contact your company with regards to the unfinished and unsatisfactory level of work that you have provided. Note that if you do not respond to this letter adequately I will be forced to pursue legal action.
Thank you for your immediate cooperation, Bo Teng
 9th of Sep, 2012 by   BMWDG3 0 Votes
I built a new house in 1989 and installed Pella windows at a cost of $14, 000.00 (serious money at that time), and after 23 years they have held up fine. Everyone I talked to in the building business said Pellas were the very best windows and doors and nothing else was even close. In October of 2010 I replaced my metal fronts double doors with Pella fiberglass dark Mahogany doors and with the installation cost I invested almost $3000.00. Now the outside of both doors where the sun hits, they have turned a chalky white. I can not believe they failed in less than 2 years. I am so mad I can not see straight, and NO for the 50th time, I do not have storm doors in front of the outside of the Pellas, which Pella says will cause big time problems. NEVER BUY PELLA FIBERGLASS OUTSIDE DOORS. I wish someone would have advised me before this bad decision. I think Pella did make good doors and windows in the past, but like most company they now make junk and try to go on their past reputations.
 20th of Sep, 2012 by   gsmckee 0 Votes
I don't know if I would go as far as many who have posted. Pella is a window company. How hard can it be to build a good window for a window company? From my experience, I have come to decide it has to be that Pella just does not want to stand behind their products, at least in our home. We have a home full of newly installed, in 2009, Pella Architect Series windows. Many, if not most, leak. Pella has been to our home several times. They tell us one thing while their staff is is in our home, then they NEVER follow through. We have dozens of letters saying just what they will do, in fact we made a tape recording, the last time they were in our home. They will not stand behind what they said. So we can only conclude, Pella just simply does not stand behind their defective products. Make sure that you read carefully and do your homework before you purchase from Pella!
 26th of Sep, 2012 by   gsmckee 0 Votes
As we all know if Pella were providing quality customer service for their shifty product there would be no negative postings on the web. We have also found out, by purchasing 49 Pella Architect Series Double Hung windows, that Pella does not stand behind their products. We are now working out our differences in a court of law. As many of you may know, once you have been taken by a company, at least in Iowa, we only had 2 years to file with the court for help. We gave Pella the benefit of the doubt and nearly 2 years to fix our windows. They refused to even attempt to provide any communication unless we called every day or emailed every day. We then figured out that Pella was only "playing us" to run out their 2 year time frame. So here we sit, waiting on the Iowa Court System to play out. Our trial is set for Marion County Court, Iowa on February 12, 2013. This has been a long time coming, as we have been homeless since the fall of 2009 when we installed our Pella windows into our home. They leak water/snow so badly that we have an extremely awful mold problem when it is wet. You can see the videos that are posted on YouTube of our home under Pella Window Problems. We posted these so that other home owners could see the potential windows that they might be thinking of putting into their homes. We want to educate the population on our problems. Please do your homework!

Tips For Avoiding Timeshare Scams