logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
vacation rental partners
vacation rental partners marketing reviews scam
2. (15 mins ago)
dangerouslyeasyesl.com
The owner started to steal from me
3. (18 mins ago)

Leather sofa

Palliser Furniture Inc
Manitoba
Canada
Based on a showroom sofa, we ordered two leather sofas from Palliser. When they arrived they barely resembled the one in the showroom. All the leather seams (which are sewn in Mexico) of this supposedly Canadian made sofa were gathered, puckered, wrinkled so badly that the sofas looked cheap and hastily made. The showroom sofas in two different stores did not look like these at all. The retailer agreed that the sofas demonstrated poor workmanship. Palliser, however, refuses to invoke its so called warranty. Based on this experience beware of Palliser : inconsistent quality, unreliable warranty, unresponsive to retailer complaints. Would never consider Palliser made furniture again.

Comments Canada Furniture
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Sep, 2009 by   Michelle 22 0 Votes
I have also purchased Palliser Furniture, which I was quite pleased with considering what I paid for it. I'm not sure what your retailer told you, but mine told me that they are a Canadian owned company. Their products are not necessarily Canadian made.
 12th of Feb, 2010 by   Rhonda Lehman-Pshnychny 0 Votes
My husband and I purchased a leather sofa from Palliser as well. The leather now looks as if it has gotten a sunburn and is peeling. We had the representative from the store where we purchased the sofa come over and take photos, which they sent to Palliser. Our sofa was ordered and paid for in March of 2006 and delivered on April 4th. The manufacturer claims the warranty changed on April 1 of that year and we were not covered. End of Story. So, our sofa looks horrible, and Palliser refuses to do anything about it.
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   Oregon, WI +1 Votes
We placed an order for 5 special order leather pieces on 10/31/09. We were told delivery would be 6-12 weeks (12/5/09-1/23/10). In January 2010, we received an email that there was a problem and estimated arrival was now moved to 2/24/10. Then we got an email that estimated delivery was moved to March 10, 2010. Yesterday we got another email that delivery is now estimated for 4/14/10, at which time we need to set up a delivery date...which generally takes an additional 10-14 days. IF WE ARE LUCKY, we'll actually receive the Palliser furniture by...Mother's Day. We are in a new home with the main large living area completely void of furniture. IF I had understood that I may wait 7+ months for furniture I WOULD NEVER HAVE ORDERED from Palliser. I'm totally disgusted with the whole process. I was informed by the company where we ordered our furniture that reason for the delay is a quality control issue with the leather maker. I would prefer to NOT get sub-quality leather, so I'm hopeful that once it is received there aren't any problems with it. But still, even if it is perfect leather...waiting almost 7 months for something that we were told would come in 6-12 weeks is a bit unprofessional and I'm trying to figure out how to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   jt45 +1 Votes
I went out today with the intention of purchasing some Palliser leather furniture. The furniture looked gorgeous in the showroom and I thought the prices were rather good compared to some 'imported' leather pieces I've seen elsewhere. I was prepared to place my order (paying cash) and was willing to wait the standard 4-8 weeks for delivery.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I was told it would be 14-18 WEEKS BEFORE DELIVERY!! I, too, was advised there was a 'quality control issue' with the tanneries and that Palliser was very much delayed in filling orders. I declined to place my order as I have no desire to wait months (and months!) for my new furniture, without any specific guarantee it will be ready at the end of that long wait.

I'm not sure how any company, in today's economy, can afford to run a business like this and expect people to wait almost half a year (if not longer) for some relatively common furniture items! What a shame! While I would like to support businesses in my own country, I've got $4-5, 000 I'd like to spend on new furniture, and I'll be damned if I'm going to wait THAT long for gratification!

I guess, once again, China will have to pick up the slack and fill the orders this company cannot deliver on...I'm crossing my fingers it's at least as good as Canadian made furniture (?).
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   JD77 +1 Votes
We bought a Palliser leather sofa and loveseat a few years ago. We were somewhat satisfied with them until recently (aside form ythe fact that the recliner cables pop off regularly requiring that we flip the units upside down and contort our hands to try to fish and connect the cable). The leather has worn fairly well except for a few spots where it is wrinkled and saggy. My main complaint is in the construction of the frame. Recently, the one end unit (sofas are made up of two end units that recline with a non reclining unit fastened in between) felt like it collapsed. I'm a fairly big guy but not enormous. When I flipped the furniture over I found that the wooden part of the frame was broken and joints had seperated (there is a wood frame and then the rest of the framing is metal). The wood is very poor quality, and even where it wasn't broken there were splits and cracks. The main issue was where one piece connected to the other. There was no evidence of wood glue or screws to secure it, only brad type fasteners, basically large staples and they had all seperated. I took it all apart, which was a big job, replaced the wood, secured the wood with screws and glue and it seems to be quite secure now. Based on the cost of these pieces and that they promote themselves as a Canadian company I would have expected better workmanship and materials. I won't buy Palliser next time.
 12th of Jun, 2010 by   Mike Kroch -1 Votes
Huh??? Palliser products are awesome. I dont know what you guys are doing. I purchased Palliser Brando seating and it has been amazing. I've had them since 2004 and had no issues whatsoever, including stitching, leather grade, workmanship, etc. If any of you had issues, you should have addressed it immediately. That would be a smart thing to do instead of whining here. I used to work for a high end home theater and these seats got great ratings. Again, I wish some of you would have been more proactive with the company that you purchased them from. As far as the delivery time, who cares? A lot of that has to do with the carrier, not the manufacturer. Besides, if you want a Ferrari or even a new Chevy Camaro you would also have to wait for at least a few months. People have a history for waiting for Iphones, Playstations, Wii, even tickets to big sporting events, so why not wait for your desired seats to come in. Stop crying! One more thing, for you "overweight" people who complained about the strength or fit of your bottom being too snug, stop eating all those dunkin donuts. Even the airlines charge you heavies for two tickets these days, your lucky that your order didnt...stop it already!
 9th of Aug, 2010 by   darebear +1 Votes
Palliser sucks! They are in the business of scamming old people now. As evidence I present the following email exchange of me trying to resolve a problem with them about one of their "leather" couches:

Message: Dear Sir or Madame:
I'm writing to you on behalf of my parents: Sid and Mildred Bennett, who in late 2007 bought one of your "leather" sofas and recliners from Better Shade in St. Catharines, Ontario. I use parentheses here because it turns out that the couch and recliner they were sold as "100% genuine leather, " were not but were, in fact, leather bonded. On the basis of that misrepresentation alone I would say they deserve a new couch and chair from you. Also, you should know that these items were not delivered until early 2008. My parents are senior citizens and were hoping to buy a couch and chair that would see them through most of the rest of their lives. Instead what they got started deteriorating within the first year.
I understand from Larry at Better Shade that this furniture only has a one year warranty. While I understand that my parents didn't contact you until early this year it was only because they were confused as to what to do about this and were going on vacation in late 2009 and did not return until late winter of this year. They will both attest, however, that this problem started happening almost immediately, certainly within the warranty time.
I know that Larry of Better Shade has already worked out a deal with Ralph of your company to cover half the cost of the replacement of these items. However, I feel that because of the fact that the deterioration of the artificial leather started happening within the first year and the fact that these items were not the 100% genuine leather that the Bennett's though they were buying in the first place, this is a simple warranty claim, and as such you should honour this and cover the full amount of what the Bennett's paid for the original items.
In my life I've bought a chair, desk set and pull-out couch from you and have always been satisfied, even impressed with the quality of your furniture. So, I found it odd to hear what my parents are going through after buying your furniture. I'm furthermore kind of shocked that you're not covering the cost of this in full. I'd hate to have to tell people that a company I once believed in is now into the bait and switch game instead. Do the right thing here and honour this as the simple warranty claim it is. Looking forward to hearing the good news from you.

Sincerely;
Darren Bennett

Here is their response: Darren, you will have to deal directly with the store. The offer that was made to you is the best Palliser will settle for. (They've agreed to cover the cost of half of a new furniture set to replace the faulty one)

Here is my response: The best Palliser will settle for?! WTF?! Wow! Really? What a scam! You guys are in the business of ripping of little old ladies now. I'll relay the message to my parents but I'll also be relaying this to whatever review websites I can. I'll never buy Palliser again. I'm sure my parents won't after this too. I'm going to make it a mission of mine now to make sure others aren't ripped off by you too.

So, if you want to get ripped off and be treated like a jerk, by all means, buy Palliser!
 15th of Nov, 2010 by   pitgirl 0 Votes
I purchased a Palliser leather sofa and chair used from someone who bought it new 2 years earlier. They gave me the bill of sale and they paid over 4000. dollars.The leather quickly started to loose it's colour now looking faded and spotty, the flimsy zippers that hold the back cushions on, broke, and the leather really stretched. It is 11 years old now and I don't think I could give it away.
 29th of Jan, 2011 by   808 0 Votes
Bought the Palliser Aria Oxford Sorrell (Leather) reclining sofa and loveseat in April 2010. Within 6 months, leather started peeling. Paid over $2500.00 for both to see it in this condition prematurely is ridiculous. Luckily the furniture store that we bought it from is helping us getting this situation resolved. As this is still ongoing, I will update it with final results. For now, I give Palliser quality furniture a two thumbs down. I would never recommend this to anyone.
 16th of Feb, 2011 by   HT lover 0 Votes
Ordered Palliser microfiber Melrose Sofa & Loveseat in November 2010.
Finally, the loveseat was delivered on Feb 10, 2010.
Construction is the shoddiest I've ever seen - corrugated cardboard backing on the arms, from the floor up and around the "pillow-top" armrest.
No Pins, just brad staples and no corner blocking, just a squirt of glue on a perpendicular joint that's already cracked.
The only hardwood is in the seat rails that connect to the recliner mechanism.
Other wood is spruce/pine or 7/8" plywood.
Seriously disappointed, considering that "choosing a Canadian company" was a big part of our decision to buy Palliser.
So far the sofa is nowhere in sight.
Probably best to check out Berkline for better quality seating.
 19th of Mar, 2011 by   Scam-Phobic 0 Votes
I have been shopping for a week now for Palliser furniture - all of it looking quite remarkable. Thank you to most of you for your detailed posts about the poor quality of the furniture, as well as customer service. There is nothing more upsetting than to feel betrayed and scammed. I would rather pay 3 times the amount and get me some Ekornes and be warrantied for real, and for 10 years. Thanks again. Goodbye Palliser.
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   Melanie123 0 Votes
We got our Palliser furniture (leather sofa and loveseat) delivered ontime (were told 6-8 weeks, came just before 6 week date). Have had them a few weeks and are very happy so far. We had a service call because one recliner had adjusted during delivery and he fixed it within minutes. Service guy (contractor) said that customers seem to be much happier with Palliser than other leading brands, said Lazyboy typically lasts 7 years, customers tell him Palliser lasts up to 18 years! I've barely had a sofa last 5 so I'm anxious to see. He said to be cautious with leather cleaners (many are too strong and remove the finish/color). So far we are happy with Palliser, our store, delivery and service, but will update if anything changes.
 25th of Apr, 2011 by   LALON 0 Votes
I've been shopping for a leather sectional, and was considering Palliser as one can sellect the pieces individually to have the look one wants. Yesterday, I found one that I liked, asked to look at the leather samples ideal for pets. I was shown the 1000 series and noticed spots on the leather. I pointed it out to my niece who could not discern this anomalie in colouring. I tried a number of ways, with different lighting and angles, to show her the different shades (spots) in the sample and she finally saw it. Having read the reviews on this page with people's comment on fading, stitching, spots... I have now changed my ming. I will pay the extra thousand to by from a Canadian made, local (same province or neighbouring - Ontario or Québec) manufacturer. Thanks for your comments. It has been useful.
 9th of May, 2011 by   rachelinmaine 0 Votes
Wow - Glad I read this before buying my new sofa! I really liked the comfort of the Palliser Yates but now I wonder. We have a local furniture store that sells Palliser but warned me not to buy on line as all the work on items ordered on line is done in Mexico!! Now I wonder if all the furniture is actually manufactured there??? Afraid to spend money on something that may not last 10+ years.
 30th of May, 2011 by   Da888 0 Votes
The palliser furniture furniture it seems like we waited for ever to come out if " Mexico" arrived about 2 months ago and already having issues with it. We have three kids ( girls) and 2 cats ( declawed) We purchased micro fiber due to price and durability. Bad idea. The material is blotchy and has been from day 1. Now we are getting punctures (minor) and it appears that it is trying to split in the lower seating areas. ?? We are amazed with the poor overall quality of this furniture and it appeared to be the best compared to others during our shopping experience. It replaced leather furniture from Jc Penney ( when they sold it) and had it for about 15 years.
 31st of May, 2011 by   sofaqueen 0 Votes
What leather grade have you all purchased? I am in the market for a new recliner and sofa. I am looking at the Palliser Westend collection. Are the cusions sewn on all of their sofas/recliners?Thanks
 15th of Aug, 2011 by   calimark 0 Votes
I recently bought a set of Home theater seats ( 4yrs old), with original bill of sale. One of the chairs has a broken spring and I knew about it. Calling up palliser to simply purchase the spring is the most difficult thing I have ever expeirenced. Even the original owner cannot get a response from them, and the local sotre where is was bought is out of business.
I just want to buy a spring to fix your busted poor quality furniture.
I can attest to the poor wood used in the construction and these cheap staples/brads. They must be 22gauge or something. Even one of the back support wood pieces broke in half and I'm not even 200lbs! After I took one chair apart to get to the spring(which I am yet to even get a return phone call about from palliser)I have now realised that Palliser is over priced and poorly constructed. The only thing I can say was done with quality is the leather seams and stitching.
 3rd of Dec, 2011 by   Suzanne31 0 Votes
I ordered a sectional sofa over 14 weeks ago and still have not received it . The company tells me it will be the 16 th of Dec. before they start even making it due to a hold up in the fabric.( It's always someone else's fault isn't it ?). I may not get this couch until the first of the year. I am surprised this company is still in business. Paliser-Take responsibity for your actions!
Suzanne
 8th of Jan, 2012 by   Scott Paschke 0 Votes
We are part of Direct Buy and planned to order in the coming week! Wow, glad I read the reviews! Thank you!!!
 9th of Feb, 2012 by   Pamee +1 Votes
My leather sectional was delivered Feb 6th. The 3 pieces all appear to have been made in different factories as seams do not line up, nor do the back pieces of the sectional. But wait...it isn't just a matter of a hardware adjustment where they all "fit" together, no! What is most disturbing to me is the different height (thickness) of the cushions! The sofa piece has the shortest (thinnest) cushions. The love seat cushions are a little bit thicker, and the wedge seat is totally overstuffed! Or...perhaps the other 2 pieces are under-stuffed...? This is so completely preposterous!! These pieces do not fit together in any way, and I have someone coming in 5 days to look at this fiasco. I am going to tell my salesman that I do not want this or a replacement from Palliser. They had their chance to deliver a quality piece to me initially, and if I can count on first impressions, their products are extremely poorly made! I am going to insist this be removed from my home, and be given a refund. I refuse to trade for another sectional from this company! And FYI, this company IS in Canada but the furniture is indeed all made in Mexico. That's more profitable for Palliser of course. Everything today is all about profit and apparently Canada is no different. The thing is, I paid close to $4000 for junk. I will make absolute sure that my next sectional is made in the USA, and from a company with an upstanding reputation!!

New Gadgets to Monitor Home Power