logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
dresses1000.com
Ignore communication and no delivery
2. (18 mins ago)

Orbitz Contacts & Informations

Orbitz

Posted:    Yi Lu

Horrifying service, dishonesty, scams

I have been using Oribtz for many years and I used to love their service even when I ran into problem. But for the past 6 months, My husband and I have had numerous problems with them although we have separate accounts and have never dealt with them together on 1 particular case. Their India Call Center is horrible and I was hung up on multiple times by that call center in India (by Joseph and another lady) and by a supervisor named Brandon in the U.S. Call center. The funniest call was the one that I just had 10 minutes ago where I was being conferenced to Alitalia, but instead, Orbitz hung up and I ended up with Alitalia alone, then I was on another hour hold with all kinds of strange noises and finally they hung up. I have spent at least 8 hours in the past 3 days trying to straighten out my credit with them and use it to purchase another ticket.

My experience tells me that whenever you cancel something with Oribtz, they do their best to annoy you and put up road blocks so they can steal your money. I was told clearly by their rep when i cancelled a trip that I can book the flight within 1 year of that day for any travel date. I stressed with them: "are you sure I will be able to book it for a later flight as long as I book by Jan xx, 2007, they assured me :"yes mam etc.." Now I call back, on top of everything else, they suddenly tell me i have to travel by the 10th, and I told them that some screwed up, and their supervisor's response was that even if their reps told me otherwise, there were policies stated online" I told him:" I tried to look for that, and it says it's not available". He said: "well, it should have been there when you booked". Well, I talked to them after I booked and cancelled, their words mean nothing obviously and has no credibility.

My husband was going to use them as a corporate travel agent since his company is always sending people all over the place for consulting work, but after this, we are going with expedia. I haven't had the energy to call back since the last time I was hung up (15 minutes ago) because it's just not worth it and that's probably how they make their money. I'd rather lose 1400 dollars than have to go through that kind of torture again, first with people who didn't speak English or could even comprehend me, then with people who claim not to know how to use their phone and hang up on me, then to supervisor that put me on "hour long" hold, and then finally hanging up on me again. I am sad that my favorite travel site has come to this.
Comments United States Travel & Vacations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Sep, 2007 by   Christopher Lombardo +1 Votes
Caution is advised in highlighting Orbitz's dishonest business practices. I complained a bit too vociferously about a $1,600 Orbitz rip off in 2005, and Orbitz hired a high-priced litigator with a large international firm to threaten and harass me. I'm just Joe Consumer who booked one trip and got ripped-off on the airline tickets. This calls for Harvard-educated litigators who will stop at nothing?

The attorney, working for Orbitz, even got a dishonest local police officer pretending to be on official business to threaten to kill me in a police lockup.

Orbitz's attorney invited me to visit his office to discuss my complaint. I did politely, only to find that, despite the invitation, he wasn't even in town that week. As soon as I left the building, the attorney was on the phone from wherever he was trying to file a false complaint of trespassing, claiming that I bypassed security to get to his firm's palacial lobby in the highrise office building in which the firm is headquartered. Bypassed security? I still have the security pass issued to me by building security after I showed the attorney's letter of invitation and my driver's license. His firm's receptionist told me he was out of town, so I left.

I can't afford to hire $2,500 per hour litigators nor to pay-off local police. The question remains why would a business deny a legitimate claim of $1,600, then spend three to ten times that amount trying to make me go away, attracting more and more negative attention along the way?

Good luck, and be careful dealing with Orbitz.
 1st of Dec, 2007 by   Ira G Neal +1 Votes
I made reservations with Orbitz's with a motel in North Carolina..
Found out the price was way higher that a Direct reservation.
When I called Orbitz, I was given the , and so? treatment.

I WILL NEER DO ORBITZ AGAIN, THEY SUX......................
 13th of Dec, 2007 by   Lee Clark +1 Votes
Orbitz generated a "ghost booking" selling me eight tickets for a party of four. Charged two service charges for their error, and even though they refunded the four ticket charges, refuse to refund the $71 service charge. The call center in India says "Orbitz is entitled to the service charge because they did issue the tickets and then refunded the ticket price. That is service for which they are entitled to a fee." When I disagreed, they elevated the complaint to a supervisor who could not speak English and she hung up on me. The email customer service response is equally useless.

Though I have purchased seven trips around the world with no problem, their bad attitude on this one means I will never use Orbitz again. We travel to Eastern Europe twice a year, but will never use Orbitz again.
 4th of Apr, 2008 by   Fernando Ortiz 0 Votes

non authorization - Orbitz

TLG *GREATFN 54714993
 2nd of Jun, 2008 by   Courtney +1 Votes
This review is written in an attempt to appeal to consumers who may not fully understand the extent in which companies, like Orbitz, are willing and able to rip you off and leave you high and dry. My story begins 1 year ago in June 2007, just around the time I was getting married and trying to negotiate my honeymoon plans. My husband and I always wanted to go somewhere tropical, since he's from England and I'm from Chicago, so Jamaica seemed like a very logical destination. As we began our typical search we started noticing that our best financial bet would be to purchase a package deal, with airfare and hotel included. After having several good experiences with Travelocity and Expedia we turned to them in hopes of being able to purchase a package, however, in the home stretch due to a minor price difference we ended up reserving with Orbitz--what a mistake that was!! Several days after our wedding it came to our attention that my husband would not be legally allowed to re-enter the states without authorization which is only obtained through a lengthy and expensive process. Now armed with that information we knew we had only 2 options, either cancel our honeymoon or postpone it to the following year--which brings us to June 2008. Of course we decided to go ahead and postpone our honeymoon, to the tune of $1, 900 in cancellation fees, re-booking charges, and rate changes. Our only other alternative was to cancel the honeymoon without any sort of compensation due to the short notice that we were provided. It seemed like a no brainer--pay a bit of extra money and don't lose over $3, 000 and we still get to go to Jamiaca---WRONG!!

Several days ago we were contacted by Orbitz who initially told us that there was a cancellation with our direct flight to Jamaica. After several hours of trying to straighten things out with Orbitz and our flights, it came to light that there was no problem with Air Jamaica, in actuality the problem was Orbitz--who never made the official changes to our reservations. At this point I have spent nearly 8 hours on the phone with Orbitz alone, not including the time I have been forced to spend on the phone explaining this to everyone from the resort (who believes we were a NO SHOW last year--and have charged us as such) to the whole family. Unfortunately, we have still not resolved this issue as Orbitz has done nothing to try to fix this problem. All they were willing to do is to try to get us on another flight that would be at our expense, with the average difference costing us around $700-800. The audacity of this company is unbelievable, especially considering that we paid $1, 900 last year to have the flights changed and we received confirmation of that change through an e-mail and a credit card statement. To make matters worse Orbitz never even extended an apology, instead they choose to say "sorry for your inconvenience", isn't that the understatement of the year!! Right now we are trying to sort out something with the resort, but all things considered it looks very doubtful that we will receive any compensation for this horrible injustice (which totals $5, 700) which has cost us our Honeymoon and a small part of our sanity!
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   A. Archuleta +1 Votes
I booked a package deal with Orbitz for Thanksgiving and suddenly had an emergency and requested to change my return flights, but when I called orbitz they just gave me the run around. I must have spoken to about 8 people but veryone of them would just transfer me to someone else. I finally got tired af dealing with them as I was in the hospital and extreamly ill. They have absolutly no customer service and a don't give a sh*t attitude. I will never book with them ever again. I just book other flights directly.
 5th of Feb, 2009 by   zartan +1 Votes
orbitz is horrible. i booked a flight with them online, and when i got to the airport, i found out that orbitz had voided my ticket. i had wasted $55 in cab fare to get to the airport. now i am stranded for another day, and scrambling to buy another ticket to leave town. thanks orbitz.
 4th of May, 2009 by   Sad customer +1 Votes
I am going thru a similiar issue right now. Had to cancel my tickets to a destination because if Swine Flu and am trying to rebook to a destination of my choice. Spent the whole day trying to talk to the airlines and Orbitz. All fingers pointed at Orbitz and their people are brainless - Sounded like India or Phillipines. They have been telling me the same thing over and over again to no effect whatsoever. I don't know where go go from here. The tickets I see online for 800 bucks due to all their restrictions are only available to me for 3 grand per pop.
What a scam this is.

I had an issue with expedia last Dec and they tried to resist a little but I don't remember arguing for more than a 1/2 hour before they agreed to do what I preferred at a cost to their company. Orbitz should go out of business
 29th of May, 2009 by   MEG +1 Votes
I WILL NEVER EVER EVER USE ORBITZ AGAIN EITHER! F**KING BULLSHIT...
MY BOYFRIEND AND I BOUGHT TICKETS AT THE EXACT SAME TIME AND WE KNOW
THAT WE BOUGHT IT ON THE SAME DAY AND SAME TIME.
THE NEXT DAY I GOT A CONFIRMATION EMAIL THAT SAID THAT MY FLIGHT WAS A DAY LATER THEN MY BOYFRIENDS. I CALLED THEM AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IT MIGHT OF BEEN A GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM.
IT WOULD TAKE 10 DAYS TO CHECK IT. THEY SAID SOMEONE WOULD CALL MA AND NOONE EVER DID.

SO THEN THEY SAID THAT IT WOULD CHARGE ME $250.00 TO CHANGE MY TICKET. I WAS FURIOUS AND CALLED DELTA AIRLINES AND THE INSURANCE COMPANY. THEY SAID THAT IT WOULD BE $500.00 TO CHANGE IT.

SO I CALLED BACK ORBITZ THINKING THAT I WOULD SPEND $250.00 TO CHANGE IT.
AFTER THEY ADDED IT ALL UP, THEY TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD COST $800.00 TO CHANGE THE FLIGHT EVEN IF THEY WAIVED THE $30.00 FEE.

I PAID $595. FOR MY FLIGHT TO SPAIN FROM COLORADO.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!
NEVER USE ORBITZ!
 24th of Jun, 2009 by   tenderg +1 Votes
I asked for a simple cancellation of only the return part of the ticket for only one of the two passengers. After holding me on the phone for 1:15 minutes(not kidding) They said the cancellation would cost me $1040 because they have to reissue a new ticket.

Never ever again...
 14th of Jul, 2009 by   Yvonne Ou +1 Votes
As a mathematician, I travel a lot for conferences. Like manyof you, I had had good experience with Orbitz until my Denver meeting last week. I booked a package deal for my flight and 5 nights of hotel because I thought a package deal should be cheaper than if I booked the flight and the hotel separately. I paid $1144.68 for the package, knowing that the Orbiz price for the flight is approx. $580 and the official rate for the same flight on the UA website is $686.20 when I booked the package deal (I still have a copy of the quote from UA).

I stayed in Crowne Plaza, Denver (this is a hotel you might want to avoid if you are claustrophobic like me). The morning when I was about to check-out, I accidentally found out the five nights in Crowne Plaza Denver cost $398.32 because they did not realize I had prepaid through Orbitz already hence gave me the invoice. Of course they did not charge me after I explained to them. Now, let's do the math.

If booked separately through Orbitz: 398.32 + $580 = $978.32
If booked separately from UA website and from Crowne Plaza website: $398.32+$680.20= $1078.52.

Can anybody tell me why I ended up paying at least $66 more by the package deal??

I called them. I guess it's also the India center. After being transferred to the third person, they offered me a $50 voucher and implied I either take it or leave it because there is nothing else they can do... She also told me they actually paid $469 to Crowne Plaza. I confronted her by asking why I had to pay $469 for the hotel when it actually cost only $398. Guess what, she started citing some terms from the contract when I paid for the fare as an answer to my question. All I can say is : I feel like an idiot and I will never trust Orbitz package deal again.

Lesson learned: Package deal from Orbitz is not always cheaper than the non-package ones.
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   Chandra09 +1 Votes
I booked a flight to Texas along with car reservation. I got the car resvervation confirmed and did not get the flight reservation. After 2 days price had gone up from $350 to $800. When i called to ask why i did not get a email notification or a not confirmed message when i booked, they had no explanation and said sorry you can buy the cheapest ticket available now. I went and booked on a different website. I had been using them for 6 yrs and they just suck now.
ORBITZ lost a good customer who booked 10-15 flights a year permanently.
 4th of Mar, 2010 by   ugh annoyed +1 Votes
I booked my flight to Costa Rica two days ago. My bank account is negative because Orbitz charged me twice for my ticket. After spending way to much time on the phone with a so called customer service representative I found out the charges would just 'fall off'. Ok well if my account wouldn't have gone negative no big deal but I am flying home tomorrow on absolutely no money. I received my confirmation e-mail saying X amount of dollars would be charged to my account and as of now I have been charged double. I don't understand this...three of my friends booked the same flight and they don't have this extra 'fall off' charge?? Customer service is horrible. I try telling them the issue and they just pause for a long time and say 'hello'? I'm guessing because they have no answer for this stupid situation. I just got off the phone with them and am supposed to call them back in a hour. wish me luck.
Never ever will I use Orbitz again.
 11th of Apr, 2010 by   Mike Snyder +1 Votes
At least I'm not alone. Orbitz confirmed a r/t flight Barcelona - Turin for 18 - 21 July and just informed me the flight's been changed to the 19th. Well, we want the 18th and already have reservations. Bombay Bob told me there's a penalty to cancel the flight - it turns out to be 50% of the value of the tickets! This on top of losing out on hotel rooms that have already been paid. I checked with Alitalia and they have bunches of flights for the 18th. It's very hard to get through to Orbitz customer service, but I'm going to try Skype (I'm calling from Mexico). I swear I will never use Orbitz again.
 16th of Apr, 2010 by   Mtn mama 0 Votes

Would not cancel flights - Orbitz

Orbitz would not honor our request to cancel our flights (when we should have been able to cancel).
 16th of Apr, 2010 by   Mtn mama 0 Votes
I could have received credit on the tickets, if they would have accepted my cancellation.
 15th of Jun, 2010 by   Camp Suzanne +1 Votes
I booked a room through Orbitz for Day Inn Charleston, SC. 3 days after I booked I had to cancel. The online reservation said that Orbitz "never charges for cancellations, but that the hotel might". Well, I spoke with Days Inn, Charleston and the reason they charged me any way was for 2 reasons:
1.) Even though I cancelled the reservation 20 days ahead, Orbitz never bothered to inform the Days Inn, so my reservation was treated as a "no show" therefore charging the entire amount to my AMX card.
2.) I spoke with the Days Inn's Dorreen Carlson and was told that basically the room reservation was no refundable because of the "discounted reservation code". So, I asked what the normal rate would be and she stated $517.00 for the 3 night stay. The price I paid to Obitz was $495. For a $22 dollar discount, they say this is a special rate that is not refundable even though the reservation was cancelled with Orbitz over two weeks ahead. The result was Orbitz never bothered to inform Days Inn of the cancellation and so both Days Inn and Orbitz now have $495.00 of my money for nothing. Never use Orbitz to book hotel rooms and I would say don't stay with Days Inn because they are in this scam together.
 24th of Jun, 2010 by   What happened to customer service? +1 Votes
HORRIBLE customer service! They charged my card several thousand dollars for a trip when the website said my card couldn't be processed. I spent two hours on the phone only to be told it wasn't their fault because it was a computer glitch. They couldn't book me for it over the phone, nor could they immediately refund me so I could book the trip through someone else. Not only that, but every offer advertised that I wanted didn't even exist. On top of that, they wouldn't even do anything to make up for their error and my time and money!
 3rd of Aug, 2010 by   Den452 +1 Votes
NEVER PAY ORBITZ FOR GROUND TRANSPORTATION. They overcharge somtimes more than 20%. I went to Vegas and pre- purchased a ground transportation voucher and Paid $15 per person. The sign on the ticket booth was $12 per person. I still had to stand in line to redeem the voucher so there was no reason to purchase in advance except to pay Orbitz a premium. The ticket person said that they get complaints form Orbitz customers all the time. Customer support was not helpful and would not give a credit for the difference. WHAT A SCAM!
 30th of Aug, 2010 by   Robin J. Jones +1 Votes
Orbitz has been a nightmare ever sense we made the first call... A trip with 8 other couples that should be a happy experience is becoming a total heartache... These people do not know or care what they are doing... We have been hung up on a number of times... they have changed our tickets and times a number of times..moved people to other flights where they have to fly alone.. My sister's first flight .. and she is scared... has to fly from Pittsburgh to Philly alone now... they put 4 of us out of the group on a very early flight off our cruise .. so now that 4 will miss there flight and have to pay an extra $50.00 and wait for a seat on a later flight... it was Orbitz's mess up ... but they won't make it right... unless we pay $150.00 per person now to fix it... I will never deal with them or any of these so called money savers again.. I will deal direct with the airlines... the tickets would have been about $25.00 more per person but well worth it.. Do not trust or deal with this Orbitz... and also .. if you use a travel agent.. some of them go threw Obitz and others like it... you must do your homework or your dream trip can become a nightmare like ours... If that travel agent tells you they use Orbitz or one like them.. make sure that agent will make everything right when Orbitz starts changing and messing things up...

Secret Shopper Check Fraud