logo

OnRead.com Contacts & Informations

OnRead.com

Posted: 2011-11-29 by    ck22272

Duplicate billing

I recently registered at OnRead.com. In filling out the billing form I overlooked the recurrent payment terms. The terms are for $1.99 for 24 hours then $29.99/month. This was not clearly stated on the sign up page. You have to click on another area to see the $29.99/month. Needless to say, a few days later I received charges to my account for $1.99 and the $29.99/month fee. But, in addition there was a duplicate charge for $29.99. I contacted OnRead by email, as this is the only way of reaching anyone. I received a response saying that the terms were on the sign up page. There was no reply regarding the duplicate billing issue. So, now I am out $29.99. In the future, I will be very cautious with anything I do online. I realize I should have not overlook the terms, but it is not clearly spelled out. My primary issue is is there no way to get my money back?
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Dec, 2011 by   the_knapper 0 Votes
I almost signed up with this service, having found what I can only imagine were planted reviews on the web talking about 'free' books. Or, nearly free, at 99 cents each.
The recurring payment is a bit hidden if you are not careful, and this is the only way to read the books. After reading a few more reviews of the site, I've found it to be quite shady in it's practices. I'd steer clear. The prices for e-books are very high, even unfair - the reality is it costs virtually nothing to re-create an e-book. No printing, distribution or storage or handling, however they still want nearly what you pay new. To be honest, I'll keep buying them at flea markets for $1.00. Let someone else pay $25 for a new hardback - they will have it for sale in less than a month, and it will be in my library. I guess I'll just have to scan them for my personal e-reader.

4 Uncommon Ways to Earn More Cash