logo

Search Rank Results
Google scam fraud company
5. (1 hr 5 mins ago)
bellojewelsonline.com
I got completely different ring

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Northland Group Inc. Complaints & Reviews - Do not fall for their schemes!

Northland Group Inc. Contacts & Informations

Northland Group Inc.

Posted:    Susann Taylor

Do not fall for their schemes!

I received a letter in the mail from Northland Group Inc. to settle an account. As I was about to pay this so called debt, I realized that I did not have in account with the previous creditor listed. So I called Northland Group Inc. and the customer service rep I spoke with could not give me any detail about the account. He did tell me that it was originally opened in 1989 and closed in 1994. When I told him that I was just coming home from college in 1989, he says "that what it is, it's for a student loan." He did not know what to say when I told him that I did not have a student loan. The only time I had a student loan was 1995, which has been paid off.

So I went on the Internet to pull up their website, and the complaint board from Complaints.com came up. I was amazed.

Come to find out, this was for a charge card that I had with Citibank. I only had the charge card for 1 year, and when the account was closed, I only owed $575. Citibank had written off the debt almost 10 years ago. Now Northland is trying to collect on it. Please do not fall for their schemes.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Jan, 2008 by   Richard 0 Votes
ASSET ACCEPTANCE LLC AWAY!

I've had a similar experience and all I can tell you is that both "Northland Group" and their cohorts "Asset AcceptanceLLC " are in serious violations of FTC regulations & Federal law. Their IRS is also involved in what seems to be fraud in their tax claims. (A number of references are available-check internet search engines for more details).

With their collection letters and bully threats to file negative information on innocent peoples credit reports, their actions can also be considered a form of EXTORTION.

With all their attemtpts to collect on invalid and/or fraudulent debt, I doubt if you see either of these companies in stay business, and most likely, some of their officers might end up behind bars.

I urge anyone who has received collection attempts through "Notrthland Goup" of Asset Acceptance' attempting to collect on "Time-Barred' credit card debt(check your states statute of limitations on oral and wrtten debt agreements) to contact the FTC and file a complaint.

I have also been informed that there might be a class action suit against "Asset Acceptance" in the near future by those who have been bullied by them.

Stay posted through your search engines.
 3rd of Mar, 2008 by   Carl.- 0 Votes
Dispute the account with the credit reporting agencies a send to the collection agencie a certified letter for validation of the account, means a copy of the original application signed by yu and payment history, also if they are pulling unautorized hard inquiries on your credit reports you can sue them for $1,000 per violation based in this case of law from 2007, is as follows....

----------------------------------------------

Pintos v. Pacific Creditors Association, Case no 04-17485 (September 21, 2007, Ninth Circuit)

Below is an excerpt from the Opinion by Richard R. Clifton, Circuit Judge:

Maria E. Pintos appeals the district court’s summary adjudication of her claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), 15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq. Pintos contends that Pacific Creditors Association violated the FCRA by obtaining, without any FCRA-sanctioned purpose, a credit report on her from Experian Information Solutions, Inc., a credit reporting agency. Pintos also argues that Experian violated the FCRA by furnishing the report to PCA.

The district court granted summary judgment in favor of the defendants. Relying on our decision in Hasbun v. County of Los Angeles, 323 F.3d 801 (9th Cir. 2003), the court held that PCA was authorized to obtain Pintos’s credit report under15 U.S.C. § 1681b(a)(3)(A) because it was attempting to collect a debt from Pintos. Hasbun held that debt collection was a permissible purpose for obtaining a credit report, but we decided that case prior to the enactment of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (“FACTA”), Pub. L. No.108-159, 117 Stat. 1952. FACTA makes clear that debt collection is a permissible purpose for obtaining a credit report under § 1681b(a)(3)(A) only in connection with a “credit transaction” in which a consumer has participated directly and voluntarily. Because PCA obtained a credit report on Pintos unrelated to any such transaction, we reverse the district court with respect to Pintos’s claims against PCA and remand for further proceedings with respect to damages and to Experian’s liability.

Debt Buyers’ Association International, an industry trade group for junk debt buyers, has issued the following ‘member alert’ with regards to this ruling:

The Pintos Court held that the FACT ACT only allows for credit reports to be obtained in connection with collection attempts when there was an underlying “credit transaction” under the FACT ACT. Further, the Court held that a towing debt was not part of a credit transaction. The Court also found Experian liable for allowing the impermissible pull. Debt buyers are encouraged to review with their counsel their practices in pulling credit bureau reports in light of this decision.

Section 616 of the FCRA states that “obtaining a consumer report under false pretences or knowingly without a permissible purpose” makes that person liable to the consumer for “actual damages sustained by the consumer” or “$1,000, whichever is greater
 9th of May, 2008 by   violet peay 0 Votes
I just received a letter from Nothland Group and they say that I owed them 1, 731.79 and i can pay them off with my rebate check from the gov. I never had a credit card from Captital One.
 14th of May, 2008 by   AMANDA 0 Votes
This is in response to e-mail posted by Susann Taylor, posted 2.12.2007, regarding collection agency Northland Group, Inc.

*Northland Group, Inc. does not deal with student loans & never has. You may have them confused with another agency since you stated the collection representative told you the debt was a student loan.

*Northland Group does not have detailed information about any of their accounts. Reason being, they are not a debt purchaser. Northland has a contract with their clients (creditors), usually lasting no longer than a year. This means Northland has that time to collect the debt, if they are unsuccessful, the debt simply goes right back to the client. Northland Group can provide the original creditor, beginning date of account, charge-off date, balance, and interest rate, if any.

*Northland Group is a COLLECTION AGENCY. Obviously, there will be many complaints about them, as with any other company in this industry. Northland Group has been in business for 24 years, and is one of the best at what they do. They have an excellent reputation with the Better Business Bureau, which is the only one that really matters.

*It’s good you were able to figure out you owed $575 to Citibank 10 years ago. Unfortunately, the only way to fix debt is to pay it or file bankruptcy. Citibank, along with any other creditor, does not “write-off” debt. Ever. They may not pursue legal action at that point, but the bill is still owed. That’s why you are in collections.
 21st of May, 2008 by   credit expert 0 Votes
The above post is NOT TRUE. I think it was written by a collection agency themself.

Especially the last paragraph.

Actually, the worst thing you can do is pay the debt or file for bankruptcy.

Citibank DOES WRITE OFF DEBT. And after your states Statute of Limitations, they can't even legally collect. After 7 years, they cannot legally report on your credit report.
 24th of May, 2008 by   cassie 0 Votes
I got a letter from the Northland Group saying i owe money for a sears card. I have used credit cards at sears in the past but never actually had a sears card.
 31st of May, 2008 by   Beth 0 Votes
Northland Group is attempting to collect on a Capital One card that supposedly was issued in the name of the 3-year-old that lives in the house. No one here has ever had a Capital One account

I suspect identity theft from someplace - interestingly, after I contacted Northland Group about what appears to have happened - they are STILL trying to make the 3-year-old pay on his debt!!!

Guess, I better get him employed, able to answer the phone, teach him how to write, and get a "real" job besides going to pre-school! =)

I have contacted my own attorney to see how to handle this situtation.
 7th of Jun, 2008 by   Kim 0 Votes
I am so annoyed but this complete scam! Short story: Messages saying to call, letters saying I owe $154.53 which I absolutely do NOT. They claim the original creditor was Ge Capital/Old Navy. Don't be fooled by these people! I actually did try to call this morning their toll free number to see if there may be a way to end the letters and the guy was a complete idiot. When he aswered the phone it seemed like he was most likely at home and doing the laundry or something...answered the phone totally casually like it was a residence. Northland Group Inc. is a scam.
 8th of Jun, 2008 by   Colleen 0 Votes
In the state where I live, Texas, the statute of limitations to collect on a debt like this (student loans not included) is four years. The four year period starts from the default date, the month due after the last month you paid. If you account is over four years old since the default date these dimwits can't collect from you anyway. This company is trashy and claiming on their website that they are so upstanding and wonderful. They commit lots of illegal acts, i have about three illegal debt collector violations that they have pulled.
 20th of Jun, 2008 by   ken thompson 0 Votes
My son was contacted by Northland about a 6 year old dept on a Capitol One Card offering to settle for $7oo on a $1500 balance.(mostly interest) as the only card he had was limited to $200.
WELL GUESS WHAT!!! Capitol one has their own credit department and does not farm out debt collection to anyone and never has, so if contacted by these scammers in regards to Capitol on tell them where to go and report them to the Capitol one Accounting department as they told us that they want them put behind bars.
 18th of Jul, 2008 by   Debbie Story 0 Votes
Northland Group Inc sent me a letter regarding an 11 yr old transaction that was not owed any longer. They call repeatedly harrassing me for money I don't owe. They are the 3rd outlaw collection agency, from 3 different states to call me on this 0ld transaction from a check cashing store. I am in Oregon, and have had contacts call me from Georgia, Nevada, and now Minnesota! My states consumer protection agency told me if they were legitimate they wouldn't be in another state, and to tell them they have to file a small claims suit to collect. Once I write them that, they stop, but then they pass my name off to another one! I will probably end up getting an attorney to help investigate and hopefully prosecute whoever started this scam!
 26th of Jul, 2008 by   JEn 0 Votes
I just received a letter today for almost 800.00?? I have never had a credit card and I am still paying off my student loans SO WHAT IS THIS??? The rep I spoke to didnt have any idea who the original creditor was suppose to be???? What do they expect people to do these days...
 21st of Aug, 2008 by   Amanda 0 Votes
The only people who complain about collection agencies are the people who owe money to them!! Federal and state laws protect DEBTORS, not BILL COLLECTORS. With it being 2008 & society being how it is, people seem to have the mentally that things "fall off" their credit report or the bad debt will be "forgiven". This does not happen. Debt does not disappear, you can either pay your bills or file bankruptcy. If you don't want collectors calling you, PAY YOUR BILLS, it's that simple. Of course many people come into hard times. The ones who pull themselves together to get through those times & eventually pay their debts are the ones who have morals. People do not pay their bills because its "fun". Also, being in debt, runs in the family. If your parents are in debt, most likely you will be too, and so will your children. Notice how all the complaint e-mails are exactly the same. WE need to start setting a better example for our children, they have hardly a chance as it is. Being a DEBTOR does not help America grow up.
 21st of Aug, 2008 by   Corrie D Cole -1 Votes
Like many of you I recieved this nasty letter in the mail, and I did'nt have a clue to what it was about.So I called, the person also sounded like he was eating his lunch while on the phone.O.k. so he lacked alittle proffessionalism, is he legit or not? The debt was for 2612.48 from 1999, he told me they would settle for 1384.61, how nice. He could only tell me by DOB, social, and acouple of places I've lived, not all that hard to find that info online. Sorry I'm just not buying it.Well he did tell me that I could write a letter " requesting Verification." but if I did that the 1300.00 offer went away and and I would have to pay the full amount.Iasked him why it had'nt shown up on a credit report .He said it was to old and that it had been reomoved as of April of this year.Sorry that's bull, I've been checking my report for over a year now to purposely to clean up bad debt and I've never seen it before.A nd there are things on there older than that and I've paid them off.I mean I'm suppose to hand over 1300.00 no questions asked and everthing will be hunky dorry.rrrriiigghhht.
 24th of Sep, 2008 by   Lisa 0 Votes
I actually paid off what they said I owed. I had 3 payments to make before a certain time. Well, to be honest, my credit is good, but I did have a pending credit card debt from the past. So when i got the notice, i just figured I'd pay it and let it be over with. It was for about $600. I paid the first 2 payments on time, then i lost track of where i put the 3rd stub that he claimed i needed to send in with payment. i got calls and letters, and i ended up paying the last payment without the stub and actually over-paid by about 5 bucks . I still get harrasing calls and letters. It's all paid off and they still want more! i think this is a scam and I'm offended by the person who e-mailed the comment about being responsible for your debts. I'm a very responsible person and you're right, but i do think these people are definitely taking advantage of others. Just watch out for them!
 25th of Sep, 2008 by   Steven 0 Votes
Being somewhat of a victim of Hurricane Ike, I wasn't able to return to work. I knew that I had an upcoming bill to pay, which was for Northland Group Inc., so I decided to give them a call to push my payment date up. After moving the date I decided to Google the company name just to be sure that it was a legit company and I stumbled upon this site. I was in awe when I found that I could potentially be a victim of a scam. What further actions should I take, legal or otherwise?
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   ply 0 Votes
This is how you fight. Go to the Northland
Group Web site and find Robert Morton contact phone
number. This is his cell. Constantly call his
phone. I have called him at home, while he
was away on business, while he was in the
car. I think he sleeps by his phone. He actually
begged me, as a man, to stop calling. I had him
promise to have Northland Group to stop
calling in exchange for me to stop calling his
business cell phone. One year plus later I got
a phone call from Josh from the N.G. I had
Mortons number still in my cell, I called him
informing him our deal is off. He called me back
within the hour and informed my number would
be taken back out of his system the next day. He is
very polite, unlike his agents, and all calls
have stopped.

CALL CALL CALL and then CALL some mored. He
will delete your number the next day. He is very
nice and does not want to waste his time talking
to you about a defunt debt that he knows you will
not pay.

Sadly, I actually felt a little badly for how I was
able to turn the tables on him. What am I crazy.
The reason why he picked up my call on the first
ring every time, every hour of the day and night
is because he thought he was going to make money.

By the By, the Amanda person I know who you are.
You are Mikki Wagg (northland grp. supervisor)

Good Luck! call him!!! It will work!!!
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   ply 0 Votes
wrong name

His name is David Morton

his cell is 952 830 3435
 30th of Oct, 2008 by   UpsetAggravatedReadytoFIGht 0 Votes
MY HUSBAND RECIEVED A LETTER IN THE MAIL FROM NORTHLAND GROUP INCORP. SAYING THAT HE HAD OPENED AN ACCOUNT WITH GUARANTY BANK IN 2006AND THAT HE OWE THEM 332.95 . IT WAS SENT TO THEIR COLLECTION AGENCY IN 2007. I DID MY RESEARCH AND CALLED THE BANK THEY HAD NO REFERENCE IN REGARDS TO THIS ACCOUNT AND MY HUSBAND INFORMATION DID NOT APPEAR NO WHERE IN THEIR DATA BASE. I STARTED TO LOOK UNDET THE BETTER BUISNESS BUREAU AND TO MY SURPRISE THEY WERE THERE BUT UNDER FALSE PRETENSES. IT IS TO MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THEY USE YOUR CREDIT REPORT TO PULL INFORMATION ON PREVIOUS ACCOUNTS THAT YOU OWE TO OR HAVE ALREADY PAID OFF YOUR DEBT. DO NOT AND I STRESS DO NOT PAY THESE SCHEMES NO ATTENTION. PLEASE DO NOT STOP HERE TAKE THIS TO LEGAL MATTERS THIS IS YOUR LIFE THAT THEY ARE MESSING WITH. THEY NEED TO BE PROSTITUTED AT ALL COST.
 30th of Oct, 2008 by   skyy 0 Votes
I just got of the phone with these jerks!!! They were trying to collect on a debt that was written off like 5 yrs ago. Then the guy "Brian" tried to get all snooty with me and I had to tell him off, and he hung up on me when I started talking abt how the hell was he gonna call me at 8pm, I just got in the house from doing a double shift at the hospital (R.N.) and here he making 9 or 10 bucks an hour telling me that I need to clear this up by tomorrow. He didn't like that so he hung up on me. Bastards!!!

Fight Back Against Identity Theft