logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (1 mins ago)
CheapOAir
Dirty dealing, lying and fraud
2. (1 mins ago)
FRAUD

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Menards Complaints & Reviews - Lyon's Bathtub from Menards is crap!

Menards Contacts & Informations

Menards

Posted:    Amy Mc

Lyon's Bathtub from Menards is crap!

I purchased a Lyons bathtub (model 3060) and shower surround form Menards. After less than 2 years of use, it has developed 2 cracks in the floor of the tub. I have spent over a month trying to get my money returned under the warranty claim but have not got any response form Lyons at all, and only responses from Menards saying basically "It's not our problem". I have now gotten to the point that I have informed them I will be employing a lawyer if I don't receive immediate resolution to this problem, but am not really holding my breath on a resolution from them. I have been assured by a management members at Menards that Lyons will contact me "by the end of business today". That was on September 19th. I have went through submitting a warranty claim form to Lyons, with no response. I have emailed the person in charge of Plumbing items at Menards and have gotten nothing but a runaround.

Menards doesn't stand behind their products and their idea of customer service is a joke - it's more a customer disservice!
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

23rd of Apr, 2008 by   Mary 0 Votes
Tonight while taking a shower, I noticed a crack in our tub. I woke my husband to ask what he wanted to do for a temporary couple day fix. He thinks ours is the same model as yours. We installed it in Oct 2006 and here we are in April 2008 and it's cracked.
 8th of Jun, 2008 by   powerdealer 0 Votes
Never threaten with a lawyer unless your going to use one. Everybody bluffs I've been in much bigger retail then tubs. Places like this hear attorney threats by the hour.

what you have to do is bring that tub back in there on their on a Big sales day or between 9-5 on a week day.. Let anyone within 10 feet of you know how dissatisfied you are. Show and tell---Show and tell.
Next ask directly for the Store Manager G.M. If that fails bring cell phone in hand. Ask to speak with his boss. If his boss is'nt in ask him whose above your boss. That really intimdates them. first just ask for the name. He'll 95% of the time give you the name. Then ask for his for number and start to dial right in front of him. Be very professional don't make threats you can't promise when lawers are $200. an hour. You know and they know you can't win with that.
 13th of Oct, 2008 by   Ryan Michael 0 Votes
We bought the same tub from Menards in November of 2006 and have recently discovered cracks and leaks in the botttom. Went to Menards and funny thing is floor model has the exact same hairline cracks in the bottom of the tub that caused the leak in ours. Has anyone heard anything back from Lyons Industries?
 27th of Oct, 2008 by   Jay 0 Votes
We again bought the same tub and getting crack today is like 4 inches long. Started out only 1/2" long. Needless to say paid good money to have installed and now to have removed? The first crack happened at less than a year old. I like Menards, but question Lyons quality. Looks like it needs thicker reinforced fiberglass, with support for weight underneith.
 26th of Nov, 2008 by   Menards man 0 Votes
Good plan powerdealer. Start a scene in my store around other people and I'll either get your ass tossed, or everyone within 10 feet of you will get tired of you crying and toss your ass out theirselves. You can't intimidate me by carrying your cell phone and asking for names. What needs to be done is an installed complaint form from the store. This form will take care of the problem.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   No Menards 0 Votes
Wow menards man. I went into Menards tonight because I am ready to remodel both my bathrooms. Guess What? Lowes will have my business. I have no reason to do business with a store with mgrs as cocky as you. My money will go to your competition. If you worked for me, you would be looking for employment. Of course you would never work for me as my employees make over $10 per hour!
 30th of Apr, 2009 by   Tom B 0 Votes
Boy am I glad I did some research. I was ready to but this tub but now am going with the Kohler from a local supplier!
 30th of Apr, 2009 by   Tom B 0 Votes
Wow...I was ready to purchase this tub but now will buy the Kohler from another suplier!
 6th of Jul, 2009 by   William Johnson 0 Votes
I have bought the same tub in 12/2006 and it cracked also. I called Lyons and complained. They sent another to us, had to remove the old and replace the next one. Only after they sent the wrong one just before that. Then the next one went in and things were fine until 3/2009 and guess what. The tub has cracked again in same spot as other one. Still dealing with them right now on this issue.
 27th of Jul, 2009 by   manland2319 0 Votes
Oh, is this discouraging. I installed my tub in 5/2007 and now (7/2009) it is cracked and leaking. Talk about a major pain, having to take this tub out, and mess up the drywall from this "newly" remodeled bathroom. Ugh!
 6th of Oct, 2009 by   Tobias 0 Votes
Those who experienced cracking; was your tub laid in a bed of motor?
 8th of Dec, 2009 by   bewashbu 0 Votes
I have a junk lyons tub also aftrer three years it has started leaking from the front near the wall.
I totally refinished mt bath and can not get it to stop leaking ! pile of shit!
 14th of Feb, 2010 by   Bsteh 0 Votes
We have the same problem as bewashbu. The tub is leaking water down the side of the tub and has ruined the drywall next to it. I am going to check to see if it is cracked any where. The bath was redone approximately three years ago and after reading these posts I am lucky it lasted this long. I only hope that I don't have to replace it. If I do I'll make sure that I go with a reputable company.
 21st of Feb, 2010 by   ckj 0 Votes
We bought a Lyons tub in October 2006, I stepped through the bottom of the tub in October of 2007. We contacted Lyons they sent someone out and "repaired" the hole. One month after the repair we started seeing little cracks in it. Just last week a crack apreared while my husband was taking a bath and we had a waterfall in our basement. We stopped in Menards today, there is only a 3 year warranty on the thing. Now we don't know what we are going to do
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   G35 0 Votes
For those of you that are experiencing cracks in your tubs or stepping through the bottom, it sounds as though your bath tub was not installed correctly. Did your installer make sure you had very stiff subfloor underneath your tub? Multiple layers of plywood is recommended for a fiberglass tub install. Did you set your tub in a bed of mortar? If you did not set your tub in mortar, most likely the tub will crack. The mortar does more than just level the tub, it also supports the bottom evenly by conforming to the surface as the tub is pressed into the mortar mix. Most manufacturers will not honor their warranty if the tub has not been set in a bed of mortar. I don't know why Lyon's directions do not include that as they would have a lot more happy customers than they have now. Just my $0.02
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   Wisconsin Builder 0 Votes
They should be installed in a mudbed to perform as best possible. However, crap is still crap that is why you should not deal with a big box store. they routinely have quality manufacturers build to their cheap specifications so they can have the LOWEST price. i..e the old axiom "you get what ya pay for", that said stick with a plumbing supply house who your plumber recommends and usually they won't recommend crap to start with because they are industry professionals, not $10 hr pallet jockeys.
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   angryatlyons 0 Votes
We installed the Lyons tub in November of 2007. My husband found a crack in it today!! Sounds like we are going to be dealing with this too!! Has anyone had any luck getting their money back. Also wondering if any other tub can be installed with the walls that were purchased (Lyons) or are we just going to have to replace it all!!
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   manland2319 0 Votes
Although it took a long time, we were able to get our purchase price refunded by Lyons. We dealt directly with them, not through Menard's. I did have all my original receipts, had to fill out some paperwork, several reminder phone calls, they sent out a representative to certify that it could not be fixed properly, filled out some waiver form, received the tub cost back in a check.

As a fix we have put a patch of Lexel caulk (fantastic stuff from Ace Hardware) over the crack. Although it doesn't look the greatest, we are buying time till I can rip the tub out (which will involve drywall work, etc.) and fix it properly. The caulk has lasted approximately a year already. If it starts to leak a new application would buy us that much more time. I would recommend it for those that want to buy time.
 1st of Jul, 2010 by   michael fahey +1 Votes
I live in columbus Indiana and have been dealing with menards for over 10 years. The service at our store is impeccable. I have never had a problem returning a defective product or been charged a re-stocking fee. They value my business!!! I also shop menards in indianapolis (3 seperate stores) I have had the same experience there as have other contractor friends and do-it-yourselfer friends who live in indy. As for the Lyons tub systems. I first installed the system in my own home. That was eight years ago and still no cracks. You see, I am a little weird in that I always read the installation instructions. It is necessary to have a perfectly level substrate to install any plastic or fiberglass tub. In the last eight years I have installed 7 more for my customers, with no complaints. In my opinion a tub install is not the easiest job for the weekend do-it-yourselfer. Get a pro to do it and make sure they read the directions. sincerely, Michael Fahey
 1st of Jul, 2010 by   michael fahey 0 Votes
I also read the complaints of water leaking down the front and side of the tub. This will not happen if the tub was installed perfectly level. It must be level front to back and side to side. Also any tub without shower doors is likely to have some leakage due to shower spray and the curtain not containing the water properly. Again this seems to be another installation problem. Choose your installer carefully and ask them if they have experience with the product and can you contact any of those customers for their opinion on the product.

sincerely, Michael Fahey