logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
LG Electronics Service Centre - South Africa
Empty promises and no freaking TV
2. (38 mins ago)
CHEVROLET ONLINE LOTTERY
WINNING NOTIFICATION
5. (1 hr 21 mins ago)
pharma-mart.com
I got scammed by them, post a complaint on eroids and got banned for it and my order deleted

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Maytag Atlantis Washing Machine Complaints & Reviews - Spin cycle problems

Maytag Contacts & Informations

Maytag Atlantis Washing Machine

Posted:    Mark Lummis

Spin cycle problems

FYI Maytag Atlantis washer owners re: spin cycle problems. I wasted a lot of time trying to find out what was wrong with my washing machine with phone calls, internet searches and service calls. I was getting debris in the machine and soap on the clothes which were coming out wet from the machine which was smelly and moldy. The belt underneath was slipping and the repair man who came out and replaced the belt didn’t know what else to do. Frustrated with the lack of quality service from Maytag, I took it upon myself to open the machine (which is a fairly simple task), I found this site with directions http://www.applianceaid.com/atlantis.html .

Lo and behold the electric motor is mounted on a crappy sliding assembly which moves left or right depending on which cycle is running, only the flimsy track and tiny nylon bushing was full of crud preventing the motor sliding all the way and tightening the tension on the belt for the spin cycle. I then cleaned out the track and put in a healthy amount of lubricating oil in it, slid the motor back and forth manually for a bit and reassembled the housing. It has been 2 years or more since then and I have no more problems with the running of the machine, the smell has gone away with a little help from some bleach plus leaving the top up when not in use and there is no more detergent residue on the clothes.

It amazes me that nobody has found this easy fix before. I guess the old adage is true that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Sears Canada, Halifax, NS
Comments Canada Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Nov, 2007 by   Robert Chamness 0 Votes
I completely agree with the author and thanks to him my same problem was rectified!

I had visions of replacing brake assemblies, looking for clutch assemblies, etc as listed on online blogs -- and it was rust and dirt keeping the motor assembly from moving. Duh!

Thank you for taking the time to write down your experience - you could have easily just fixed yours and gone off for a beer. We all owe you one!

No longer perplexed!
 12th of Jan, 2008 by   Jessica G 0 Votes
Thanks so much!!!

I'm in Australia and was just about to go out and spend another $2000 on a brand new washing machine as I am tired of the mouldy crud that is expelled every cycle. I take pride in my clothes and I have nothing but bad things to say about the Maytag. This machine has done nothing but ruin my clothes!!!

The service men made me feel like it is my fault and I need to clean the machine... how can I when there is no easy way to access the internals.

I have copied your comments and will give it a try, hopefully you have saved me lots of money and grief... Cheers to you!!

Jessica
 18th of Jan, 2008 by   Georgia Woolery 0 Votes
Thank you!! I have had the same probelm for a year. Had probelms witht the spin cycle and clothes ringing wet, with suds. I had called the service guy and then it started working again, I cancelled. We have had this nasty, moldy smell and I couldn't figure it out. We're looking a new wahsers and this one is only 5 yrs old. And your paying for a Maytag which usually last for years!! Very frustrated... Thanks for the tip. I also printed out your info. I'm all for the Class Action.. For that kind of money you would think they would make a better machine and back their product... Thanks Georgia
 14th of Feb, 2008 by   MARI PENNER 0 Votes

NO ONE ABLE TOP FIX..SPIN PROBLEMS - Maytag Atlantis Washing Machine

MY FAVORITE ALL TIME WASHER..BUT IT KEPT BREAKING IN SPIN CYCLE..AND I HAD PROBLEMS WITH LEAKS
 1st of Mar, 2008 by   Jay 0 Votes
Thank you for posting this repair tip. My atlantis was a great washer and only two years old but the spin cycle quit working and all my laundry came out wet. The repair man I spoke to said this model has a design defect (which apparently Maytag is aware of) and he recommended replacement as the cost of the repair would exceed the cost of the machine and it would probably break again anyways. So much for dependability. I did replace it, but with a Whirlpool machine. My old washer a Whirlpool that I gave away to a friend was 20 years old and still works fine.
 4th of Jul, 2008 by   Michelle 0 Votes
Thought I wasn't doing laundry the proper way...MAYTAG is horrible - I will never buy Maytag products again ~ I had a Kenmore before and it lasted me 13 + Years and just thought I would upgrade. Shame on Me. My washing machine is a bit over 2 years old and I want to get rid of it ASAP.
 5th of Jul, 2008 by   Jenniffer 0 Votes
I have had the same problem, my washer is only a few years old, I was so happy about getting my first New washer, when the hand-me-downs worked better!! I bought the maytag because I thought it would last, how wrong I was...I'm going to try your solution, hopefully it will work.. Shame on maytag!!! Thanks for the help. Jennniffer Tn.
 15th of Jan, 2009 by   Cindy 0 Votes
We have had the same problem with the machine squeaking loudly at times and it will not spin our clothes totally dry. We had a new belt put on thinking this would take care of the problem but it hasn't. Just called Maytag 1-800 # and they are sending a repairman to look at it. Nothing is still under warranty (bought it in 2002) except the transmission she said. Go figure. Also now that we have read some of the things about the machine and the smell some of you have had from the machine we realize that the sour smell we have in the utility room is probably also from the machine! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MAYTAG! Why hasn't there been a recall on this machine.

Cindy, Ohio
 12th of Jul, 2009 by   JORGE -B 0 Votes
SAME PROBLEMS I'VE HAD MY MAYTAG FOR OVER 2 YEARS AND I BOUGHT IT THINKING THAT IT WAS A QUALITY PRODUCT BUT I'VE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE CLUTCH SPIN CYCLE STICKING AND THAT MOLDY SMELL. BUT I AGREE WITH EVERYBODY MAYTAG SHOULD PUT OUT A RECALL ON THE MACHINE, OR AT LEAST PUT OUT A SERVICE BULLETIN FOR THAT MACHINE.I AM STICKING TO WHIRPOOL NEXT TIME.
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   Ken in Missouri 0 Votes
test
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   Ken in Missouri +1 Votes
RE: Posting above on 5-9-07
Spin cycle broken on Maytag Atlantis Washing Machine- an even simpler cure for this problem:

Mark, I agree with what you suggested regarding the Maytag Washing Machine (Atlantis) Model AWW6300 is the machine I have. Simply freeing the motor is often the cure for this problem of a machine that will not go into the spin cycle. I found an easier way to fix what is the cause of the stuck motor – turn it on its back and fix / lubricate the moving motor from the bottom of the machine. On the bottom of the washing machine, easily accessible, was the very unit you described so well. I sanded down the small amount of rust that had formed on the “slider bars.” I lubricated these bars and manually pushed the unit back & forth, back & forth. By squeezing the fan belt I could easily make the unit move back and forth. Once I oiled it with 3 in 1 oil, I stood it up, turned the dial on the machine to spin – and it worked perfectly. The site that you reference in your comment was excellent for describing and showing how to do it the, long, laborious way. Prying off the top of the machine is what they suggested -- that is unnecessary. This is merely accessing it from the bottom of the machine.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Ken in Missouri
 7th of Oct, 2009 by   tpishdad 0 Votes
Darn Site, , , , deleted my comments:

Argh..it worked Mark...anyone want to know what I did email me...I am not typing it again...lol

tpishdad@gmail.com
 12th of May, 2010 by   RathionValor 0 Votes
My unit is having the same problem. I would still recommend servicing it from the top. You may find pieces of string or other articles trapped inside. Plus you can clean the interior while you are there.

Rich. Pa
 24th of Jul, 2010 by   narlacat 0 Votes
My Maytag Atlantis stopped spinning. The transmission was the problem. The pully assebly and brake assesmbly were fine all operating within specified limits. I pulled the transmission apart to find a very flimsy one directional plastic spring!!! The chain is only as strong as the weakest link as they say. You can t purchase this part new, secondhand parts are only option, and all the time that will take!!. $400 dollars for a new transmission to replace a $5 dollar part, forget it.!!! I think Whilpool are very foolish associating themselves with such a poor product!
 11th of Nov, 2010 by   DANA s.s. 0 Votes
my alantis maytag spin cycle stop also..had a few other problems..water pumped...cynoid part replaced..but when i talked to the dealer..he said the alantis is a piece of junk and isnt really a maytag..said is assemblied by maytag thats all...should be a lawsuit...
 23rd of Apr, 2011 by   Berry Payton 0 Votes
HELP i have a mnatage top loading washing mashine.after it goes thru the first spin cycle and goes into the rinse cycle the water will not shut of and overflows. anyone know how to fix this or what to do

12th of May, 2011 by   DCPARKS 0 Votes
We also have a Maytag Atlantis model MAVT734EWW. Piece of JUNK!! We had problems with the spin cycle from the start. The Maytag repairman came out when in was in warranty and fixed it but it's broken again. The transmission needs to be replaced. There should be a recall and repairs should be made free of charge or a class action suit. Maytag's aren't what they use to be. I had a GE that lasted through 4 kids and 20 years. Debbie P
 6th of Nov, 2011 by   Butterflyx233 0 Votes
Wow and I thought I was alone in this...We purchased a MAV9600EWW May 2002, 08/07/2006 the pump was replaced, 03/30/2009 the transmission was replace under warranty 10/10/2011 the transmission needs replacing again... My husband is in Afghanistan and I can't get Maytag/Whirlpool to help me...
So now just leave it to the LORD, he knows what's on my plate and will handle it...
 14th of Aug, 2012 by   LongIsland1 0 Votes
I also will never purchase a Maytag again. While under warrantee my washer had problems, Maytag didn't want to cover the labor to replace the parts, that didn't make sense. After a long battle they agreed to cover the cost, a Maytag service man came, took the entire washer apart then figured he could'nt fix it. He left with the entire mashine in pieces all over the floor. Maytag then wanted to charge to have a service man come and put it back together. What a joke that company is. My lesson is that it's not how much money you spend on an appliance (Because they are all made cheaply in China), but the cheapest unit you can purchase. Forget about brand names, they went by the way side when all manufacturing went to China...With the Maytag repair man.
 28th of Jan, 2013 by   tamara0003 0 Votes
My Maytag Atlantis is still spinning. It is just mot spinning out my clothes completely. they are coming out very wet. What would you suggest to repair this problem? Thank you,

Credit Card Company Calling Fraud