logo

Ripoff!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Massage Envy, Tempe, Arizona Complaints & Reviews - Account Freeze / NO REFUND Cancellation

Massage Envy Contacts & Informations

315 W. Elliot Rd.
Tempe, Arizona
Phone: (480) 783-8700
massageenvy.com
It's the same story I have seen all over the Internet. I am not the only one by far who has had this happen. Massage Envy takes out $49.00 per month out of my checking account for each massage. If I happen to not get a massage treatment in a given month, it accumulates. Like roll-over minutes on a cell phone. I had a dozen or so after a couple years that were prepaid and I could go into Massage Envy and use it and pay only for the $15-$20 gratuity that they shamelessly put on signs for their clientelle to follow. I am one for tipping, but don't tell me what amount I need to tip. That is just rediculous. Anyway, after a while, with the economy and all, my business wasn't doing well at all and I had to cut back on a lot of things. I asked them what I could do to get reimbursed for the massage treatments that I haven't used. They said that the only thing I could do was to put my account on hold, so that more auto-withdrawals wouldn't come out for 6 months. However, after that six months, the auto-withdrawals would resume. I told them that I didn't forsee my financial situation being any better in 6 months, and I would just like to cancel my membership and get the money back for the massage treatments that I had not used. Nope... That was not possible. "That is not our corporate policy." I was always told. So, I just decided to put my membership on hold as directed and wait to see if in 6 months I could begin reusing my prepaid massages. Basically I have repeated this process 3 or 4 times with them and they tell me everytime the same thing. If I cancel I lose everything. Stupid me, I kept putting it on hold to see if I would be in better financial situation later, but my financial situation hasn't gotten any better. Each time they would begin taking the $49 out again, I would usually get a few overdraft fees to the tune of $35.00 each also. It has become a nightmare because I am TRAPPED into this thing that is worse than a credit card with high interest. The way they have this scam set up makes it so that people using their service can never cancel their membership and get all the money that Massage Envy has auto-withdrawaled from people's bank accounts. Unless we want to just cut out losses, but that is rediculous and a SCAM. After years now, I have 30 massage treatments credited to me that I have prepaid for by way of their auto-debits that yes I signed up for, but could no longer afford to keep doing because my budget couldn't even afford the tip to give the therapists. I called the Better Business Bureau and have submitted a formal complaint. Massage Envy responded by saying they would give me 4...FOUR!!! gift certificates for $39.00 that i could use. WHAT ??? I told them they were going to have a law suit on their hands if they didn't give me back my $1, 470 that they still have withdrawed from my checking account that I haven't redeemed. I still haven't heard anything yet, so who knows what I am going to do. Plus, I could really use my money back at the moment with this economy. I don't know what to do next. I hope the Better Business Bureau can do more than just but a bad report on them. I really hope I am not going to lose almost $1500 in this deal. It is my money. I have not received services for it because I cannot afford to go in. I suppose I could go in and get massages and not tip the therapists... I could use my massages and each time stiff the massage therapists and not give them a tip. But I can't do that. it's a moral thing with me. I have worked in the service industry before as a massage therapist myself and as a server and as a valet and bellman. I just couldn't in good conscience stiff the therapists. They work hard and deserve a gratuity. I just wish corporate Massage Envy would take that policy away. It is really a terrible and almost unlawful policy. So many others have had this same experience, including them showing up for a massage and having prepaid massage credits and Massage Envy won't let them get a massage until they give them a new credit / debit card if the one they have on file has expired. Even if the person has credits for massages built up. They won't let the person use their credited massages until they submit a new account number that they can auto-debit. These people are criminals in my opinion. SCAM.
Comments United States Beauty & Day Spas
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Nov, 2010 by   quityercomplainin -1 Votes
you are an idiot. if you join a gym and don't go, you don't get your money back. at least there the massages are still available to you. you sound like you just want to complain. you joined without really making sure massage was something you wanted, would use, and could afford and now you just want to make it like it's not your fault. get a life.
 20th of Nov, 2010 by   Karol1218 0 Votes
They are a rip off! Their customer service is horrible and I just cut my loses with them owing me 8 massages. If you do as they say you will never be able to stop the membership unless you get a massage everyday to finish what you are owed in that month. I would not recommend this company to anyone. If you want a real massage to someone who is certified because you are paying the same amount for a better service! It is only a matter of time before this horrible company files bankruptcy! They ticked many a customer off!!
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   Totally agree 0 Votes
my ex girlfriend works at the altamonte springs location and said the same issues go on regularly with every client. Its a scam to get you frustrated in trying to cancel or get refund. No one will call you back ever. They say they cannot cancel when they can. They tell you they cancel then dont. Its the wait you out game so you will give up. They are franchised but sounds like a corporate game to me. She gave me so many stories especially one where the womans son died and they still did not refund the money. Its hard sell on contracts and they will tell you its easy to cancel but if you dont after 3 days you never will have any luck. they work on commision and they will be fired if they do no thit 15% attach rate. they get 850 and hour plus a tier bonus for 15% and so on according to their memberships. thats why its hard to get out once you sign it. thats why you dont get all the info up front. thats why you shouldnt give your credit card number as you will never be able to get out of the contract. if you move somewhere where there isnt a massage envy within a 25 mile radius you can opt out. and rates arent honored in other areas of the country of what you signed up in. plus if you miss your appointment and dont cancel youre charged. again your credit card will be charged.
 20th of Jan, 2012 by   A&K 0 Votes
Last week I went to cancel my membership (this is after my wife called twice to cancel) and after going rounds on the 29 prepaid Massages I obviously don't have time to use, the girl told me they will actually refund the prepaid when you cancel...its just that they aren't allow to tell clients that. After looking on the web and seeing all the negative comments on Massage Envy...makes me wonder if they will actually give me a refund. Has anyone gotten their prepaids back???? Can't imagine it is legal to keep money for services not rendered.
 12th of Mar, 2012 by   RealisticlySpeaking 0 Votes
every complaint on this site is included in the agreement every client signs. thats unfortunate for all you members or past members that you chose not to read all the fine print. if it was a scam like everyone is saying then why does massage envy continue to pop up new locations every month? 750+ locations with another 100+ pending open doors. Ya'll are idiots.

Creative College Financing