logo

ACK Group
Fake Job Consultancy
3. (32 mins ago)
Devine Devons
Devon rex terminally ill kitty
4. (44 mins ago)
Gas Not Available

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Marriott Vacation Club Complaints & Reviews - Stay Away!!

Marriott Vacation Club Contacts & Informations

Marriott Vacation Club

Posted:    Charlie Sheetz

Stay Away!!

Marriott
Marriott Vacation Club Salespeople are Super-trained "used car salespeople!" They tell you how easy it is to book with Interval, their Parent Timeshare Company. They explain how much easier it is for platinum members, like myself, to book at your host club. Trust me - it is all fabrication! I could not book a week in October at my host Canyon Villas 11 months in advance! Once you trade a week into Interval, try finding a place to book for a week that's not a Ski Lodge or Tropical setting in the summer! Costs? How about $20, 000 for your week of timeshare, $750.00+ for annual Maintenance fees, $104.00 to trade week for points, $99.00 for Interval Membership, $84.00 to book your week, and oh yeah - $79.00 to cancel. After canceling, even due to a death in immediate Family, you have 60 days to use your week at a Resort. Good Luck with that! Breckenridge and Cancun are usually available in August, however. Check the figures, booking fancy hotels is much cheaper, and you don't have to stay a full week at the same location! And, you get the week you want without booking a full year in advance! Stay away from Vacation Clubs! Trust Me - a true sucker!
Comments United States Vacation Clubs
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Dec, 2009 by   david d. 0 Votes
Charlie,

You seem very confused. I have owned with Marriott for almost 10 years. I have never reserved something more than 6 months out and I have gotten every reservation I have tried. I own two weeks and routinely reserve my home resort every summer with one week at the beginning of the summer and the other week at the end of the summer without fail. we have used it as well in spain, paris and aruba.

I feel the same way as you do about my MacBook. I suspect it has more with me learning to use it than my Apple being a lemon.

Call Marriott or Interval and ask someone to teach you how to reserve. Ask them especially about flex exchanges below 60 days. I get a lot of options that way. there are tons of locations you can go to and they are a mouse click away from reserving them.
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   Bugmangaza 0 Votes
I agree with Charlie. I also cannot book 11 months out as owning a three bedroom they just have been booked. At 10 months out the same but note not all availability are released 11 months out or 13 months out. They hold some back. As we own two weeks the early booking is a benefit we are told of owning multiple weeks. This seems to not be the case. Everything is about the learning curve but check if the unit works as stated or are there differences between reality and what you were told or believed.
 8th of Dec, 2010 by   Vince T 0 Votes
I totally agree with Charlie, Marriott Vacation Club is completely a ripped off. With all of those fees annually, I could have got a a luxury all-inclusive vacation package any year any time I want to use. Not saying their maintenance fees keep going up every year! Now they even try to lure you into paying another $569 something for converting your unit to Marriott points. Bugmangaza, do you want to buy mine? I'll let you take over at no cost http://i-gotdeal.com/marriott so you can have the whole month membership with Marriott!!!
Vince T
 15th of Dec, 2010 by   Steve C from Burbank, CA 0 Votes
I also agree with David D. I have been a Marriott owner since 2006 and also own a Lawrence Welk unit. I bought both for a total of $23, 600 and could not be more happy with my purchases. I never stay in my home resort, I have always traded with II or for points every other year with MVC. I have always gotten what I wanted when I wanted to go, even for friends and family. With the initial "bribe" and other points accrued my wife took a 2 week European vacation which we would never have been able to afford without MVC. I think it is all a matter of knowing how to play the "timeshare game". Good luck.

Steve C of Burbank, CA
 9th of Apr, 2011 by   Pluperfect 0 Votes
It's far cheaper to just book a week at a Marriott than to pay for it as a Marriott Vacation Club member.
 19th of Apr, 2011 by   Timeshare man 0 Votes
@ Pluperfect
Not true for example look online, for Palm Beach the annual Maint Fee for a 2 bedroom 2011 was $1383.59 for owners, according to marriott.com at a normal rate for non owners including tax for the same seven days in the platinum season its $2, 356.53! Thats almost a thousand dollar difference, you can state your opinion but that is not fact.
@Charlie Sheetz
You are only a true sucker for believing you are. Many people have problems with timeshares, the fees are expensive, they nickel and dime you, they never have what you want, etc... The only reasons for these complaints are due to your lack of diligence for not calling owner services or going online and gaining appropriate knowledge on how your timeshare works. First of all you incorrect saying Interval is Marriotts Parent Timeshare Company, it is Marriott Vacation Clubs partner. They in no way shape or form have any ownership over Marriott. They are our licensed exchange company to help our owners make trades to go to other resorts. Also most owners that have problems with II dont know how Interval operates. Again why havent you asked questions to a owners service rep? They have advisors and counselors for a reason. You are also incorrect with fees a one year memebership with II is $89 and its only $29 to change or cancel. I think you said $79 to make Marriott look more evil. Also we offer insurance for those kinds of things like a death or illness to reimburse your maint fees back. Again you can complain all you want but you needs to get correct facts first.
 1st of Aug, 2012 by   M.Athwal 0 Votes
We are having problems with Riverside County, CA because someone in the Title department put the wrong address down and was sending our tax bills (that I didn't know we had) to the previous owners. Now we will probably loose our usage to foreclosure. When I asked Marriott for help they kind of said, sorry, but that's your problem.
Now how is it they can "help" us by selling the unit to us but they can't help us with a problem like this?
All they care about is getting your money. After that you're on your own.
Beware if you own that thing in Palm Desert California!! the County won't help, all they want is your money and to steal your timeshare and Marriott doesn't care.!!!
 3rd of May, 2014 by   TiredOfMarriott 0 Votes
We purchased a platinum week in Lake Tahoe in 2006, but we struggle every year to exchange our 2 bedroom, lock-off unit for any properties within the Marriott Vacation Club locations. Marriott Vacation Club is a HUGE ripoff...!!! We spent 10's of thousands of dollars on this property, but we ALWAYS have to go outside of Marriott and use non-Marriott locations for all our vacations. I trusted Marriott because I travel a lot and they have been consistently good over the years. However, buying into Marriott Vacation Club was the worse purchase I have ever made. I really regret it.
 6th of Jun, 2014 by   Corvette2001 0 Votes
Everyone wants to see value for their money/investment. If you do your happy with MVC if you don't your not.

I went to a presentation recently, and I was close to buying. I was able to get them to give me 24 hours to think about it. The deal was to buy 2500 points with another 2500 bonus points for immediate signing. They would also pay for my stay at their resort for that week. The cost $26, 000.

I used the 24 hours to scan the net, and run the numbers and angles in my head over and over again.

I came to the conclusion that after giving MVC 26, 000 they still owned the game. They can raise the point values for the vacations I wanted which would cause me to buy more points. If I wanted to sell they control the value of what these secondary points are worth, not on the open market but on Marriott's market.

For me buying a hotel room is not really a good investment. I would rather use the money to make a down payment on a vacation home or go on regular vacations.
 1st of Jul, 2014 by   awesome mom 0 Votes
MVC would treat you well if you are an elite/ platinum member which we were before. As your status changes, that changes too. If you lost your job and couldn't pay your dues on time, worst! Their customer service with the (863) area code were the worst customer service I ever encountered. Even if you already made payment arrangement plan and diligent and continue to honor that plan, they would keep sending letters saying you haven't done it and you are in default. Payments are not reflected on my payment history on their website. It's good thing I kept track of my e-mail communication and all with them. Also, when listening to their timeshare presentation, don't be fooled. By the way, if ever they are giving away certificate where you can stay at their resort for free as part of their timeshare presentation, believe me it's difficult to get that free stay because they would always say that it's either fully book or what have you. We haven't been able to use it until it expired. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have gotten this MVC timeshare.
 6th of Aug, 2014 by   traveller1234 0 Votes
I also agree that the vacation club use is very restricted.Agree with some of you that it would be cheaper to book directly for a week in hotel considering all the costs associated.Also there are fine prints that you can only transfer week to Marriott reward program every other year, Cost of maintenance also has gone up in past few years.Also if anyone is looking to buy you can get it cheaper from outside sources.Marriott points program is even worse, if you do not use in the same year you loose all the points
Beware before you purchase this.
 1st of Sep, 2014 by   PFoley 0 Votes
The decision to purchase vacation club points can be difficult. The only way to determine if vacation club ownership represents a good value is to perform a financial analysis. This requires comparing costs associated with vacation club ownership with the costs of the alternative - paying retail costs for lodging fees. Before I purchased vacation club points, I created a spreadsheet to determine if there was a financial benefit associated with vacation club ownership. The spreadsheet was so helpful that I decided to create an application so that I could analyze future vacation club purchases. This application is called PointsCruncher and is located here: http://pointscruncher.com. I hope it helps make vacation club ownership decisions a bit easier.
 3rd of Dec, 2014 by   Phil J. Honolulu, HI 0 Votes
Don't buy into a brand new Marriott Vacation Club Point Package unless you are very rich!
Marriott Vacation Club Condominium Resorts are very nice, there are 50+ throughout the world.
If there is one location you really like, look on ebay to a deeded week and save yourselves $20, 000 to $30, 000!
You can purchase a Marriott Timeshare Resale week for generally $3000 to $6000 from a previous owner.
This week on ebay there were 60 reale weeks available. 28 were "buy it now" 32 others were true "auction" style format.
Take a look at Central Florida's (Better Business Bureau) listings of dozens and dozens of BBB complaints against Marriott.
Marriott Vacation Club's corporate headquarters is located in Orlando, Florida - that's why its the BBB in Central Florida.
These complaints will open your eyes to challenges, costs, late fees, legal posturing and customer dissatisfaction from actual owners.
Marriott Vacation Club is a new company now, it only licenses the name Marriott, from Marriott International of Bethesda, MD.
Its important that you understand that this new and different company has different values than the original highly respected Marriott.
The President of Marriott Worldwide Vacations Corporation is Steve Weisz (picture) Google his annual earnings/salary $4M
 4th of Dec, 2014 by   sooz1958 0 Votes
The Marriott sales people lied to us ... no doubt. I hate this program. You never can get what you want... the maintenance fees go up and up...Honestly the Marriott family should be ashamed of themselves... they flat out deceived buyers.
 4th of Dec, 2014 by   Phil J. Honolulu, HI 0 Votes
I just found a website, of Marriott's, that offers Marriott Vacation Club Resale Weeks themselves and was surprised how reasonable the prices were. I compared many resorts. Maui for example had every other year deals starting around $10, 000 for a 1BR with a garden view to an every year 2BR with an ocean view for $35, 000. You can search their entire inventory worldwide. These units are repo's and defaults from past customers who just walked away from the obligation completely or couldn't keep up with the maintenance fees. The website is www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales and its very impressive. These costs are substantially lower than what brand new couples and families pay when they tour the Marriott Resort during the infamous 90-minute presentations and some would say and agree that a deeded week is much better than the points club deal Marriott has been selling retail these past four years. In my opinion, a deeded week, is much better than the "flexible" point system because the week will always be seven (7) days. Someone brand new can purchase seven (7) days worth of points but that will perpetually diminish because every couple years the cost to stay per point increases. When you have a deeded week, you can completely avoid the points system. Ebay is another great source for Marriott resale weeks. You will pay a whole lot less than even Marriott's own resale site, but you may encounter the ROFR "Right of First Refusal" giving Marriott the option to buy it back for pennies on the dollar from the original owner. Doesn't mean you will lose your money, but it could waste some time. They do not buy back (ROFR) every time so you can keep trying with ebay.
 6th of Dec, 2014 by   Phil J. Honolulu, HI 0 Votes
Marriott Vacation Club 2015 Maintenence Fees Increase.

Visit www.tugbbs.com (Timeshare User's Group Bulletin Board System) for a detailed breakdown of every resort and every floor plan. Most annual increases for 2015 were 4.66% with a wide range from 3% to 7% For owners on the Destination Point System there is not a specific 2015 increase however the fee per point has increased 33% since redefined program to points launched in mid-2010.
 7th of Dec, 2014 by   Phil J. Honolulu, HI 0 Votes
Don't join Marriott's Vacation Club unless you are very rich...

A few years ago, Marriott Vacation Club (NYSE: VAC) became its own new company when it split off from Marriott International (NYSE: MAR) ever since then there has been a gradual departure from the high integrity and morals of the original company which was led by the wonderful Bill Marriott, and his father before him J. Williard Marriott Sr. going back to 1929. This new company (VAC) only licenses the Marriott name. This new company is led by a bunch of greedy individuals who are only focused on bringing in more revenue today, at all costs. If you have just purchased, you might be able to cancel within the first week. If you are thinking of buying into Marriott Vacation Club, you might be much better off looking on ebay for a resale week and I'll revisit this topic again.

Marriott has been selling timeshares for the past 30 years, and don't misunderstand me, many are very nice. For the first 25 years, anyone who purchased a Marriott timeshare would receive a deeded week to whatever one resort you had selected or no doubt was visiting at the time of purchase. So that meant every year, or maybe every other year if you did a bi-annual deal you knew exactly what sized room you would have for 7 nights and also what type of view; e.g. mountain or ocean. Now if you wanted to go elsewhere, to either another Marriott property or another deluxe timeshare somewhere else in the world, it was possible by paying fees and depositing your week into a trading network, Interval International, and if you were a real good advance planner you could do your trade, but with the Marriott brand there is very little inventory place in for trading.

Roughly 5 years ago at the time of the split off from the original Marriott, the new greedy leaders and management came up with a clever way to outsmart everybody and provide a dis-service to their owner customers from the past 25 years. The new leadership revolutionized the product completely, put all 50 resorts into own new club, created a new currency called the destination point, and essentially anyone who has bought in these past few years is an equal owner to all 50 resorts. Instead of the paperwork being a deeded week to one resort, it is all legal with points and mumbo jumbo about a Florida land trust.

How they outsmarted everyone covers includes: a) no one resort can ever sell out, because they just keep selling points so in theory if your preferred place is sold out there has to be somewhere you can go b) they completely eliminated the lockoff concept that timeshare owners have utilized for years. Say if you bought into a 2-br for one week, you can turn it into two weeks by only staying in the smaller side. Its a nice concept that many old school timeshare owners have utilized. c) Although the legacy owners from the first 25 year shave their deeded week, they are often pestered with phone calls and emails encouraging them to lookover to converting to the point system, charging their old customers thousands of dollars to convert while also selling them more points in addition to the devaluated points they received at conversion time for their trade in. d) now each individual day at a Marriott resort costs a certain amount of points, but instead of being one simple points chart there are dozens. Weekends cost more than weekdays, various season issues, various floor plans, various views make it quite confusing and you know what they say "the devil is in the details". Plus every two year snow Marriott increases the number of points that it costs to stay each individual day within all the all other category details just mentioned: day, season, view, room size. You really need a calculator with you to make sure you know what each vacation costs in points. e) If you don't use your points, you loose them. You can bank your points for the following year if you remember to do it, but not again the following year.

Now this does not even touch on closing costs and definitely not maintenence fees. Maintenence fees are a reality with the timeshare industry. Old Marriott owners have the maintenence fees for their deeded week(s), All the people on the new program for these past 5 years pay maintenence fees tied to each point that they have been issued. And naturally like everything, the maintenence fees kep going up too. Be sure to calculate all of these potential costs.

On ebay, the Marriott timeshares definitely hold their value better than any other brand. On ebay the inventory is constantly changing and evolving but if you play it smart you can save yourselves easily $20, 000 - $30, 000 you will not get to go to all of the resorts, you'll have to just pick the one you like best. Marriott timeshare go between $3000 and $6000 on ebay bot that sure beats spending $23, 000 to $36, 000 or more.

The problem with Marriott resale weeks on ebay or anywhere for that matter: During a typical 2-3 month closing period of your Marriott resale week, Marriott themselves might come in and exercise their (ROFR) right of first refusal and buy that timeshare interest back from the original owner (for pennie son the dollar) leaving you and your resale seller emptyhanded. Most resellers will advise you that if the ROFR occurs you will be refunded your money, so be aware of that aspect, and protect yourself. Even if it happens once with the ROFR doesn't mean it will happen the second time.

Its fun to shop on ebay and to study the trends, You can go on there and mark each Marriott timeshare and "watch" it so each time you return to ebay you can easily find them. Read all the ads carefully. Examine the closing fees that the resellers have stated they charge and sometimes the previous owner will pay those closing costs for you. Find the various resorts, make sure you are clear on the resort, the unit size, the MF$, maybe a bi-annual deal is better for you.

Good Luck. If you can save $20, 000 to $30, 000 with a Marriott resale timeshare purchase, why pay full retail?

PROPOSED CLASS ACTION SUIT
SUBMITTED: Saturday, December 06, 2014

Below is a cut 'n paste from The Orlando Sentinel. Orlando, Florida is the timeshare capital of the world and the location of the headquarters for Marriott Worldwide Vacation Corporation, which is led by President Stephen Weisz.
The remainder of this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club...unless you are rich" is the cut 'n paste except for the contact information of the NY based lawfirm, in case you would like to contact them yourselves:

Squitieri & Fearon, LLP

32 East 57th Street, 12th Floor
New York, New York 10022
(P) 212-421-6492
(F) 212-421-6553

Online

info@sfclasslaw.com

Proposed class action hits Marriott timeshares

By Paul Brinkmann
Orando Sentinel
May 20, 2014

The Marriott Vacation Club is being sued in a proposed class action that targets the company’s time-share trading programs.
The Orlando-based company was named a defendant in a lawsuit filed recently by three law firms on behalf of one named plaintiff, Salvatore Desantis of New Jersey.

The suit alleges that Desantis and other timeshare owners suffered loss of value to their timeshares when Marriott switched in 2010 from a week-based trade program to a points-based program.

The week-based program allowed customers to purchase a week of ownership at a specific location or resort. They could trade, but only with other specific locations. In the points program, customers buy points that can be used at a variety of locations. The points program is intended to offer more flexibility, but critics of the program complain that the basis for determining value of points at various properties can be arbitrary or disputed.

According to the suit, owners who purchased timeshares before 2010 are confined to the week-based program, which has a dwindling number of members. Marriott has offered owners a chance to trade up into the point-based program, but only for a fee of $10, 000, the suit alleges. Attorneys in the case said the class could number up to 15, 000 timeshare owners.

A spokeswoman for MVC's law firm, Greenberg Traurig, said the company declined to comment on the lawsuit.

“You have a lot of people who feel like they’ve been short-changed, ” said attorney Stephen Fearon of New York-based Squitieri & Fearon, one of the attorneys for Desantis. “In the next stage of discovery, we will try to get more information to identify the class.”

Ray Barto, another attorney with Squitieri & Fearon, said some owners “just don’t have the 10 grand, and some have it but just don’t want to shell that out. There’s also people who paid the fee already that could be in the class.”

The lawsuit seeks class action status. It was filed in Orange County Circuit Court in March but transferred May 9 to federal court in Orlando before U.S. District Judge Gregory A. Presnell. Other firms representing Desantis are Varnell & Warwick of Lady Lake and Gersowitz Libo & Korek of New York. Greenberg Traurig is representing Marriott Vacation Club.

Message boards for Marriott timeshare owners, including Marriott Rewards Insiders, reflected comments and discussion threads where members discussed the transition from weeks-based to points-based programs.

ADD ON THE "AIRFARE ONLY" COSTS TOO
SUBMITTED: Saturday, December 06, 2014

In this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club...Unless You Are Rich" we will be discussing the airfare component and how its expense surrounds Vacation Club ownership.

Depending upon where you live in America, and where you take your family vacations, you may like to drive, or you might have to fly. Driving certainly has its advantages: flexible timings and no need for a car rental. Flying is faster, you'll get there sooner; and sometimes its the logical solution, due to distance, or the inability to drive to e.g. the Hawaiian islands.

One enormous disadvantage to Vacation Club ownership, whether its Marriott, or any of the timeshare brands or resorts is not only the cost of airfare for all of your family members, but also the fact that when you purchase airfare only, at full retail, its always the most expensive.

Its amazing how the internet has revolutionized travel and vacationing options. Over this past decade it has improved and re-invented itself a few times. On line merchants; e.g. Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, etc. along with the power of the internet have given all of us the access to search and sort and compare prices on a tremendous amount of inventory.

When you purchase a vacation bundle (hotel + airfare + optional car) through one of these vendors, you definitely get a much better deal on the airfare component than when you purchase the airfare alone. Plus, these internet travel solution providers have agreements with all of the major timeshare resorts (Marriott, Hilton, Disney, Wyndham plus more).

So why make a lifetime of vacationing decisions up front? Just live cash and carry.

No need to join the "Once Exclusive" type of luxury resort, they are all on expedia, etc.

Take all of the factors into consideration when doing your economic evaluations...

This way you can avoid being ripped off or locked into a lifetime contract you will regret!

Respond to this report! What's this?
#3 Author of original report
MARRIOTT 2015 MAINTENENCE FEES INCREASE
SUBMITTED: Friday, December 05, 2014

In this new installment of "Don't buy into Marriott Vacation Club..., unless you are Rich" we will discuss the perpertual trend for Marriott Vacation Club to continually raise their maintenence fees.

First, let me introduce you to a great web-site: www.tugbbs.com Its stands for Timeshare User's Group Bulletin Board System, and as always, I like to back up my assertions with facts and reference materials.

Now, when we discuss Marriott increasing their maintenence fees, there are two customers segment types:

1. The original owners who bought a Marriott Timeshare from 1984 to 2010 and/or anyone who has purchased a resale deeded week (or inherited a deeded week) from a previous owner, a reseller, bought on ebay, etc.

2. Any owners who bought brand new into the points system which was introduced in mid-2010. For this segment, lets look at a brief (cut 'n paste) from www.tugbbs.com

(As of 9/11/14, the Pricing Information page at marriottvacationclub.com indicates a base price of $12.24 per Point. There have been several price increases since the MVCD introduction (similar to Marriott's Weeks system in which price increases have been implemented on a regular basis.) For historical context, the introductory base price was approx. $9.20 per point; see for the pricing history contained in an official document obtained during a sales presentation. )

So for 2015, for owners on the points program there is not a specific 2015 increase announced yet, but if you read the paragraph above you can see that Points Maintenence Fees have already increased 33% in 4.5 years.

For the deeded week owners, www.tugbbs.com has every specific resort, every floor plan's 2015 increase. Was too complicated to do a cut 'n paste. I purused all around and saw many 4.66% increases, other increases ranged between 3% to 7%.

So in summary, Points MF increased 33% in 4.5 years and the deeded week annual increase approx. 5%. That web site www.tugbbs.com also features complaints and monitors satisfaction. Marriott owners score 44% on complete happiness/satisfaction.

Club President's 2013 Earnings: $4, 052, 376
SUBMITTED: Friday, December 05, 2014

According to Wikipedia, the President of the United States annual salary (since 2001) is $400, 000.

According to Forbes Magazine, Steve Weisz, the President of Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation, his 2013 total earnings were $4, 052, 376.

This means that the based on 2013 financial figures, the President of Marriott Vacation Club earns 10x more than the President of the United States.

Based upon a 365 day year, and 2013 figures, the Marriott Vacation Club President earned $111, 024 per day.

If $1850.40 was the average/median maintenence fees that an established Marriott Vacation Club owner pays per year for their deed week or points, this means that for every SIX (6) OWNER families that pay their maintenence fees for the entire year, each group of six is applied to Steve Weisz's daily pay.

Or an an annual basis, take 2, 190 (two thousand one hundred ninety) owner's annual maintenence fees (averaged at $1850.40 each) and you have the total annual compensation for Marriott Vacation's President Stephen Weisz.

The Rip-Off here is that maintenence fees are presented to be related to the upkeep of the resort properties, not maintaining a greedy executive's lavish lifestyle. Marriott Timeshare Owners have a legitimate grievance here!

Visit the web site for (BBB) of Central Florida
SUBMITTED: Thursday, December 04, 2014

Ever since the new leadership came along, turning Marriott Vacation Club into its own company (NYSE-VAC) paying licensing fees to use the name "Marriott" and redefining the Marriott Timeshare Business into Destination Points instead of the deeded weeks, numerous complaints have been registered in Central Florida's (BBB) Better Business Bureau as the new corporate heaqdquarters are based in Orlando, FL and the company is led by President Stephen Weisz.

Search online for BBB-Central Florida to see liteally dozens and dozens and dozens of registered complaints about the new company which formally does business under the name "Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation." Flipping through these numerous complaints will give you tremendous insight into the dark sided under belly of all those friendly smiles back at the resort.
You'll definitely see trends with broken promises, hidden costs, and the endless expense of these luxury items that are often called "investments." You'll also get to read some responses from Marriott themselves which occassionally will reveal inflexible policies and legal posturing that follows.

Now if you are very rich, these compounding expenses might not matter much to you. If you are not wealthy, arm yourself with information free of charge. If you just bought in, definitely take the time to review the contractual details.

President earns over $4M anually
SUBMITTED: Thursday, December 04, 2014

Aloha Folks, The American Dream is alive and well in Orlando, Florida for Marriott Vacations Club's President Steve Weisz. When you earn over $4m per year that's well over $10, 000 per day based upon a 365 days per year, $10k per day just for waking up, it's your day off no problem, you're still earning over $10k per day. Great job if you can get it, huh? Mr. Weisz must be the smartest man on earth, for any company to pay $4M per year.

One might ask, where would all this revenue come from? Some obvious answers include: Grossly overcharging Club buy in costs, annual maintenence fees, misc. add-on charges, late fees, penalties, the list goes on and on. Below is a cut 'n paste from a Forbes salary article. Verify this information with on-line search.

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp

President, Stephen Weisz age 63

Compensation for 2013

Salary $764, 423
Restricted stock awards $1, 330, 021
All other compensation $8, 207
Option awards $570, 011
Non-equity incentive plan compensation $1, 350, 000
Change in pension value and nonqualified deferred compensation earnings $29, 714
Total Compensation $4, 052, 376

ON LINE RESALE WEEKS, FROM MARRIOTT
SUBMITTED: Thursday, December 04, 2014

These costs are substantially lower than what brand new couples and families pay when they tour the Marriott Resort during the infamous 90-minute presentations and some would say and agree that a deeded week is much better than the points club deal Marriott has been selling retail these past four years. Is a deeded week better than their new points system?

In my opinion, a deeded week, is much better than the "flexible" point system because the week will always be seven (7) days. Someone brand new can purchase seven (7) days worth of points but that will perpetually diminish, every couple years the daily cost to stay per point increases. When you have a deeded week, you can completely avoid the points system.

If by chance you just bought into Marriott Vacation Club and are researching Marriott timeshare because you just bought, I would strongly encourage you to visit Marriott's Resale web-site so you can calculate how much you have just been overcharged. Every state has a recission period where you can cancel, so you better hurry because the clock is ticking.

Ebay is another great source for Marriott resale weeks. You will pay a whole lot less than even Marriott's own resale site, but you may encounter the ROFR "Right of First Refusal" giving Marriott the option to buy it back for pennies on the dollar from the original owner. Doesn't mean you will lose your money, but it could waste some time. They do not buy back (ROFR) every time so you can keep trying with ebay, but shop carefully, and feel free to contact the seller with any questions.

LOOK AT THIS ONE DEAL ON EBAY!
SUBMITTED: Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Today on December 3, 2014 I was purusing through the ebay listings of Marriott Resale Weeks and there were 61 of them posted for purchase which did does not include rentals. The Marriott Timeshare Rentals on ebay are a good deal because you are buying them directly from an owner, vs. dealing in the vacation condo rental market which can be tricky.

Anyways, this particular deal is on for 4 more days. Its for a true timeshare resale week purchase in the panhandle of Florida, in Panama City, at a resort named Bay Point. Here is why this is a sensational deal for a 2BR Villa, every year but only silver season (read all ebay ads carefully) for only this one resort:

1. The cost is only $19.00 for "Buy it now" ( a savings of roughly $25, 000)

2. All closing costs are paid for buy the seller ( a reseller savings of roughly $700 )

3. A $300 visa gift card is offered as an incentive for a serious buyer.

Below is the cut 'n paste from an ebay ad:

Silver Season Usage in Bay Point Florida! Only $19 "Buy It Now"

Buyer will receive a $300 visa gift card when the property transfers at the resort!

Buyers First Year Available: 2015

Usage: Annual Usage

Float Unit: 2 bedroom 2 bath, sleeps 8

Float week: 1-6, 49-50 Silver Season

Unit has a full Kitchen

Estimated Maintenance fee: $1231.00 due annually

Special Assessments: $0.00

Property Tax: Included in the maintenance fee above

Perpetually deeded ownership (Week 03, Unit 2406)

The buyer of this unit will be responsible for the additional fees listed below. All fees are due in escrow one week from receipt of the purchase contract. Resort Closings, Inc. will perform the closing (non-negotiable). Closing costs include account inquiry, escrow services, document prep, recording services and resort notification.

Additional Fees Include:

Resort Closings Inc. Closing Costs: $475.00 (Paid be Seller)

County Recording fee: $80.00 (Paid be Seller)

2014 maintenance fees, taxes & Special Assessments: $0.00

Resort transfer Fee: $120.00 (Paid be Seller)

Marriott has ROFR on this property!

CONTINUALLY POSTPONE THE EXPENSE!
SUBMITTED: Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Hello again, another installment into my "Don't buy into Marriott Vacation Club... unless you are rich" article If you've been reading my other reports, you will see insight and recommendations to search ebay for a Marriott Timeshare Resale Week so you can save yourself $20, 000 to $30, 000 or more. Naturally a "used" Marriott Timeshare week only allows you to go to that one Mariott condominium resort, but that can be okay, its different though than the super-expensive points club membership/ownership that Marriott currently sells. In this installment, I want to introduce two new concepts:

1. Look to ebay, under vacation rentals and timeshare and you can find yourself a good next vacation. I honestly did this just a couple months ago. For $1100 I stayed 8 nights on Maui at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas timeshare resort just north of Black Rock in Ka'anapali. I purchased it from an ebay member who had been on ebay since 2002, like me. Plus this ebay member had over 300 positive reviews. He was a Starwood Owner and sold me a great deal. Now on one hand I still believe $1100 is a lot of money, but for the Westin, my gosh, for a studio kitchenette, and no presentation required, good. So since we're kind of focused on Marriott here, I have seen the same kind of rental posts on ebay which is so much more credible than Craigslist and better than the vrbo.com ads because they all have all sorts of deposits and cleaning fees. After my 8 nights I had to pay just under $50 for transient tax, but that was the only extra charge, $100 cash deposit at checkin. What I have noticed on ebay for these one time timeshare rentals is that last minute is where the very good deals are and if you secure an accomodation super-early which is noble to being a good planner, you might end up spending a bunch more.

2. Marriott sells Preview Vacations, in a very discreet manner. If you want to stay at a particular Marriott resort, assuming you are already not in their system as an owner, the marketing reps at that very resort can usually sell you an open ended vacation in a smaller sized unit, generally 5 nights for $500 however you are required to sit through the 90-minute presentation on that future trip. These are generally open ended and are good for up to 18 months, but they generally are not compatible with a last minute inquiry and availalility. I tell you this to make certain you know you have other options and that any way that you can CONTINUALLY POSTPONE THE EXPENSE makes prudent sense in these uncertain times. So if you decide to pursue the preview vacation, discreetly call upon that one resort, ask for the marketing rep, tell them that you think you met them several months back, mention the idea, but then let them take over and present it to you. Be prepared to pay e.g. $500 up front on cc and you probably won't even know dates. It does work. But again its offered discreetly.

more Marriott Timeshare through ebay!
SUBMITTED: Monday, December 01, 2014

On December 1, 2014: www.ebay.com had 60 diiferent ads for Marriott Resale Timeshare weeks from owners direct or through resalers, brokers and/or title companies representing the owners direct. One nice thing about ebay is that you are able to contact the owner with questions while the auction is still up. Sometimes you can negotiate an even better price, but not always. Other times, there is a way to make a "Best Offer" The inventory on ebay is always evolving. As an experienced ebay buyer and seller, let me share with you some insight on the physcological lows and highs when you are a seller. In the middle of your auction you are feeling great. Near the end of the auction, when something really is marketable and will sell, lots of bids will come in at the very end. When the auction ends and you had no bidders yet still are faced with ebay fees and even more when you relist, this is when a seller is most vulnerable to sell even lower.

Ebay has many different formats. Of the 60 Marriott timeshare resale posts on 12/1 - 28 of them were in the "buy it now" format which means if a serious buyer (or non-serious idiot) comes along and hits the button the auction ends. The most popular format is "auction" style which as the timeline. If the ad says $1 on page one, you had better make sure that you open it up real good and see what the actual price is, on top of the winning bid, plus of course maint fees and closing costs.
DON'T GET GRUBER-ED!
AUTHOR: Phil J.
SUBMITTED: Sunday, December 14, 2014
In this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club unless you are very Rich" we take a close look at some economic facts and again "unless you are rich" we caution you to not get Grubered!
The MIT Economics Professor thinks "American Voters are Dumb" and so must the architects of the Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points Program. The new Marriott company must think that American Vacationers are really stupid!
It does not take an Economics Professor to identify the dual-flawed double downward trajectory of value for the customer. You see, when you decide to purchase a lifetime's worth of annually renewed "bucket of points" under the new Marriott program; you lose, in two important financial areas:
1. Every 2 years the point value COST PER DAY of Resort Stay Increases.
2. The maintenence fees COST PER POINT Continually Increases.
For example, if you were to buy in and purchase enough points to get yourself a 2 bedroom condo for one week every year. Ten years later those points might only buy you 5 nights, or 7 nights in a one bedroom. As time goes on, your investment continues to lose its value beyond the "driving the car of the lot" its as if every few years, in addition to the rising costs, you lose a door or a wheel too. Plus, in less than 5 years since the program has been introduced, maintenence fee cost per point has risen 33%. In both of these examples, you will definitely lose financially and Marriott always wins.
Other ways Marriott must think you you are dumb is that you need their help to determine where to stay on your family vacations. Like you are not able figure it out yourself each year with all the variety and options and online resources such as expedia and ebay and vrbo and redweek and tug and priceline and travelocity and the list goes on and on. Plus they must think you are really stupid that you would prepay the bulk of these cost up front, for your entire lifetime, not to mention... Are you so sure that you know what you want to do for the remainder of your lives? Don't get Grubered by the new Marriott company!
 16th of Dec, 2014 by   Phil J. Honolulu, HI 0 Votes
Trickle Down GREED! That's what you have with the new company that is Marriott Vacation Club (NYSE-VAC)
AUTHOR: Phil J.
SUBMITTED: Sunday, December 14, 2014
Leading the FRAUD Train, a new company that hijacked the Loyalties and the Name Brand Recognition of MARRIOTT,
This old timer, an old Marriott Executive, Stephen Weisz, acquires company (to start his own) through an aging Bill Marriott.
Weisz then "pays himself first" leading the way to his daily $11k income which is just a part of a $4M annual pay schedule.
Then with no respect or regard to existing customers of 26 years, changes the rules to benefit him and his new company.
Greed and Revenue reign. Published company values no longer matter. Its a greedy corporate culture out of Orlando, FL.
The greed from the corporate culture trickles down to their various centers. The greed is picked up by their management.
It's really a sad tale of corporate greed. There were ample methods for the new company to move forward with integrity.
Instead, e.g. Stockholders and President are paid dividends funded from increased maintenence fees passed on to owners.
A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED
SUBMITTED: Monday, December 15, 2014
In this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club unless you are Rich" we revisit that old saying of how "A Fool and His Money are Soon Parted" and draw a comparison to some folks who buy into their new points program.
In a perfect world, even if you are rich, let's take a scenario of a family ready to pay $42, 000 for enough points for an oceanview 2BR villa for one week with plans to take this same vacation every year. Based upon the new rates for the maintenence fees, its roughly $2000 per year, but they will go up.
Now in this perfect world, where you have the cash, you could cherry pick the ideal resale week for the same resort, and at top dollar pay $12, 000. This would then leave you $30, 000 in savings by going resale and then in theory if you could place that $30, 000 into a lockbox or better yet into an annual CD and not touch it for any other purpose than maintenence fees, then you would have 15 years of maintenence fees already banked.
The fees will continue to increase but then you would be collecting some interest on the CD. Each year when its time to reinvest, just take out $2k, and reinvest the remainder into a new CD. This is one way to win with Marriott, and not foolishly part with your money. Marriott Resale Weeks can be found online on ebay, redweek.com, tugbbs.com and a variety of other places. Do your research!

Fight Against Healthcare Insurance Fraud