logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
digimaxpro.com
Don’t buy from them – you will get nothing
2. (15 mins ago)
FOREVER 21
Management/Human Resources
5. (25 mins ago)
tel2name.com
I checked this website – the info was fault

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Marriott Vacation Club Complaints & Reviews - Stay Away!!

Marriott Vacation Club Contacts & Informations

Marriott Vacation Club

Posted:    Charlie Sheetz

Stay Away!!

Marriott
Marriott Vacation Club Salespeople are Super-trained "used car salespeople!" They tell you how easy it is to book with Interval, their Parent Timeshare Company. They explain how much easier it is for platinum members, like myself, to book at your host club. Trust me - it is all fabrication! I could not book a week in October at my host Canyon Villas 11 months in advance! Once you trade a week into Interval, try finding a place to book for a week that's not a Ski Lodge or Tropical setting in the summer! Costs? How about $20, 000 for your week of timeshare, $750.00+ for annual Maintenance fees, $104.00 to trade week for points, $99.00 for Interval Membership, $84.00 to book your week, and oh yeah - $79.00 to cancel. After canceling, even due to a death in immediate Family, you have 60 days to use your week at a Resort. Good Luck with that! Breckenridge and Cancun are usually available in August, however. Check the figures, booking fancy hotels is much cheaper, and you don't have to stay a full week at the same location! And, you get the week you want without booking a full year in advance! Stay away from Vacation Clubs! Trust Me - a true sucker!
Comments United States Vacation Clubs
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Dec, 2009 by   david d. 0 Votes
Charlie,

You seem very confused. I have owned with Marriott for almost 10 years. I have never reserved something more than 6 months out and I have gotten every reservation I have tried. I own two weeks and routinely reserve my home resort every summer with one week at the beginning of the summer and the other week at the end of the summer without fail. we have used it as well in spain, paris and aruba.

I feel the same way as you do about my MacBook. I suspect it has more with me learning to use it than my Apple being a lemon.

Call Marriott or Interval and ask someone to teach you how to reserve. Ask them especially about flex exchanges below 60 days. I get a lot of options that way. there are tons of locations you can go to and they are a mouse click away from reserving them.
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   Bugmangaza 0 Votes
I agree with Charlie. I also cannot book 11 months out as owning a three bedroom they just have been booked. At 10 months out the same but note not all availability are released 11 months out or 13 months out. They hold some back. As we own two weeks the early booking is a benefit we are told of owning multiple weeks. This seems to not be the case. Everything is about the learning curve but check if the unit works as stated or are there differences between reality and what you were told or believed.
 8th of Dec, 2010 by   Vince T 0 Votes
I totally agree with Charlie, Marriott Vacation Club is completely a ripped off. With all of those fees annually, I could have got a a luxury all-inclusive vacation package any year any time I want to use. Not saying their maintenance fees keep going up every year! Now they even try to lure you into paying another $569 something for converting your unit to Marriott points. Bugmangaza, do you want to buy mine? I'll let you take over at no cost http://i-gotdeal.com/marriott so you can have the whole month membership with Marriott!!!
Vince T
 15th of Dec, 2010 by   Steve C from Burbank, CA 0 Votes
I also agree with David D. I have been a Marriott owner since 2006 and also own a Lawrence Welk unit. I bought both for a total of $23, 600 and could not be more happy with my purchases. I never stay in my home resort, I have always traded with II or for points every other year with MVC. I have always gotten what I wanted when I wanted to go, even for friends and family. With the initial "bribe" and other points accrued my wife took a 2 week European vacation which we would never have been able to afford without MVC. I think it is all a matter of knowing how to play the "timeshare game". Good luck.

Steve C of Burbank, CA
 9th of Apr, 2011 by   Pluperfect 0 Votes
It's far cheaper to just book a week at a Marriott than to pay for it as a Marriott Vacation Club member.
 19th of Apr, 2011 by   Timeshare man 0 Votes
@ Pluperfect
Not true for example look online, for Palm Beach the annual Maint Fee for a 2 bedroom 2011 was $1383.59 for owners, according to marriott.com at a normal rate for non owners including tax for the same seven days in the platinum season its $2, 356.53! Thats almost a thousand dollar difference, you can state your opinion but that is not fact.
@Charlie Sheetz
You are only a true sucker for believing you are. Many people have problems with timeshares, the fees are expensive, they nickel and dime you, they never have what you want, etc... The only reasons for these complaints are due to your lack of diligence for not calling owner services or going online and gaining appropriate knowledge on how your timeshare works. First of all you incorrect saying Interval is Marriotts Parent Timeshare Company, it is Marriott Vacation Clubs partner. They in no way shape or form have any ownership over Marriott. They are our licensed exchange company to help our owners make trades to go to other resorts. Also most owners that have problems with II dont know how Interval operates. Again why havent you asked questions to a owners service rep? They have advisors and counselors for a reason. You are also incorrect with fees a one year memebership with II is $89 and its only $29 to change or cancel. I think you said $79 to make Marriott look more evil. Also we offer insurance for those kinds of things like a death or illness to reimburse your maint fees back. Again you can complain all you want but you needs to get correct facts first.
 1st of Aug, 2012 by   M.Athwal 0 Votes
We are having problems with Riverside County, CA because someone in the Title department put the wrong address down and was sending our tax bills (that I didn't know we had) to the previous owners. Now we will probably loose our usage to foreclosure. When I asked Marriott for help they kind of said, sorry, but that's your problem.
Now how is it they can "help" us by selling the unit to us but they can't help us with a problem like this?
All they care about is getting your money. After that you're on your own.
Beware if you own that thing in Palm Desert California!! the County won't help, all they want is your money and to steal your timeshare and Marriott doesn't care.!!!
 3rd of May, 2014 by   TiredOfMarriott 0 Votes
We purchased a platinum week in Lake Tahoe in 2006, but we struggle every year to exchange our 2 bedroom, lock-off unit for any properties within the Marriott Vacation Club locations. Marriott Vacation Club is a HUGE ripoff...!!! We spent 10's of thousands of dollars on this property, but we ALWAYS have to go outside of Marriott and use non-Marriott locations for all our vacations. I trusted Marriott because I travel a lot and they have been consistently good over the years. However, buying into Marriott Vacation Club was the worse purchase I have ever made. I really regret it.
 6th of Jun, 2014 by   Corvette2001 0 Votes
Everyone wants to see value for their money/investment. If you do your happy with MVC if you don't your not.

I went to a presentation recently, and I was close to buying. I was able to get them to give me 24 hours to think about it. The deal was to buy 2500 points with another 2500 bonus points for immediate signing. They would also pay for my stay at their resort for that week. The cost $26, 000.

I used the 24 hours to scan the net, and run the numbers and angles in my head over and over again.

I came to the conclusion that after giving MVC 26, 000 they still owned the game. They can raise the point values for the vacations I wanted which would cause me to buy more points. If I wanted to sell they control the value of what these secondary points are worth, not on the open market but on Marriott's market.

For me buying a hotel room is not really a good investment. I would rather use the money to make a down payment on a vacation home or go on regular vacations.
 1st of Jul, 2014 by   awesome mom 0 Votes
MVC would treat you well if you are an elite/ platinum member which we were before. As your status changes, that changes too. If you lost your job and couldn't pay your dues on time, worst! Their customer service with the (863) area code were the worst customer service I ever encountered. Even if you already made payment arrangement plan and diligent and continue to honor that plan, they would keep sending letters saying you haven't done it and you are in default. Payments are not reflected on my payment history on their website. It's good thing I kept track of my e-mail communication and all with them. Also, when listening to their timeshare presentation, don't be fooled. By the way, if ever they are giving away certificate where you can stay at their resort for free as part of their timeshare presentation, believe me it's difficult to get that free stay because they would always say that it's either fully book or what have you. We haven't been able to use it until it expired. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have gotten this MVC timeshare.
 6th of Aug, 2014 by   traveller1234 0 Votes
I also agree that the vacation club use is very restricted.Agree with some of you that it would be cheaper to book directly for a week in hotel considering all the costs associated.Also there are fine prints that you can only transfer week to Marriott reward program every other year, Cost of maintenance also has gone up in past few years.Also if anyone is looking to buy you can get it cheaper from outside sources.Marriott points program is even worse, if you do not use in the same year you loose all the points
Beware before you purchase this.
 1st of Sep, 2014 by   PFoley 0 Votes
The decision to purchase vacation club points can be difficult. The only way to determine if vacation club ownership represents a good value is to perform a financial analysis. This requires comparing costs associated with vacation club ownership with the costs of the alternative - paying retail costs for lodging fees. Before I purchased vacation club points, I created a spreadsheet to determine if there was a financial benefit associated with vacation club ownership. The spreadsheet was so helpful that I decided to create an application so that I could analyze future vacation club purchases. This application is called PointsCruncher and is located here: http://pointscruncher.com. I hope it helps make vacation club ownership decisions a bit easier.

Consumer Protection Official Offers Online Safety Advice